TESTERS WANTED! ×

What’s most similar to ProV1’s?

Alanpe

Lots: Snell Black, Kirkland, Srixon Z-Stars, Taylormade TP5 to name a few.   Best bet is to buy a sleeve and see how you like them. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Alanpe said:

Are there any balls on the market, at any less cost, which have a similar feel on the putting green to the pro v1’s or pro v1x?

You're new to the forum and welcome. Stick around and you'll learn more than just which balls are good. See Below.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Lots: Snell Black, Kirkland, Srixon Z-Stars, Taylormade TP5 to name a few.   Best bet is to buy a sleeve and see how you like them. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

3 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

You're new to the forum and welcome. Stick around and you'll learn more than just which balls are good. See Below.

I am but a young grasshopper.  Teach me. I will stick around but if you have another tip, I am open to hearing you out 

5 minutes ago, Alanpe said:

I am but a young grasshopper.  Teach me. I will stick around but if you have another tip, I am open to hearing you out 

Even better. There's a lot of knowledge and opinions from a diverse crowd in the forum. I'm not teaching anyone anything about this game. I'm 64 and still learn something almost everyday. But I think in a short while you'll learn a lot by reading what various members say and think. You're questions and opinions are important too. Especially if you like equipment the forum and the blog are the place to be. Enjoy your journey grasshopper. 🙂

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Welcome to the forum. There is a thread reviewing golf balls. Here is the link:

MYGOLFSPY MASTER GOLF BALL REVIEW THREAD

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/18861-MYGOLFSPY-MASTER-GOLF-BALL-REVIEW-THREAD

I have personally enjoyed the Vice Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I was a MGS reviewer of the Snell MTB Red last season and found that while it was similar to the PV in many respects, it was short on performance in the wind. I found on independent testing that the Snell MTB Black was far superior in the wind and possesses a very close performance profile to the PV's for way less $. I currently play the Blacks exclusively after the tests and switched from the Bridgestone E6 softs. Below are a couple of links; one to the member review of the Snell MTB line and one to Snell's web page. Cheers and welcome!

https://www.snellgolf.com/

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

... Dean Snell was instrumental in developing the ProV1 and I find his My Tour Black to be very similar in every way. Snell has a sale going on right now thru midnight for Super Bowl Sunday:  10% off and free shipping. Great deal I took advantage of using SUPERBOWL10 at check out. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I am a big fan of both the Snell and Vice balls. I have a source where I am getting them used grade A cheap. Both of those balls surpass the Pro V IMHO. I played titleist balls for many years even back to the balata days. Even if I had to buy new I would choose either the Vice or Snell balls. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I really like the Snell Black. As @chisag said, Dean Snell worked on and developed the Pro V1, and he took all of his expertise and new ideas to Snell. In doing so, he ended up making a Tour level ball at half the price. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

The new TM balls are great balls too--- I have found and played a couple of them God Bless the rich snowbird tourists-- But can not justify the price of a new dozen-- In fact I am so stoked on the Snell and Vice balls If I still played comp or high dollar matches I would not hesitate to put either one of those in front line play of course they would be new ones

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

45 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

The new TM balls are great balls too--- I have found and played a couple of them God Bless the rich snowbird tourists-- But can not justify the price of a new dozen-- In fact I am so stoked on the Snell and Vice balls If I still played comp or high dollar matches I would not hesitate to put either one of those in front line play of course they would be new ones

... The TP5x is still my favorite because it is just a little longer with a higher trajectory and a little less spin but right there with you and I would not hesitate to play a Snell Black under any circumstance.  

All tour level balls are good. It’s about finding what works best for your game. Ball fittings are a great way to find this and several of the big names are doing them.

the other way is on course testing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

TP5 hands down is the best ball I have played....Flies beautiful in the wind and for me is great around the green. For me its all about feel with a golf ball and the TP5 is exactly the ball I was after. Price wise you can probably pick the 2017 version fairly reasonable due to the new version coming out. Here in the UK its around £30 a box.  

Kind Regards

Glynn Taylor

Twitter: - glynntaylor

Late to the party, but I will have +1 for Snell MTB Black. It is about as close to the ProV that you will find and the cost is much better. It is 31.99 shipped. If you buy in bulk it is cheaper. You can find others, but Snell is probably the best of the “lesser known” brands. TP5 May be good, but it’s still  40 a dozen. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Love the Snell Black....it’s my favorite ball

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Another nod for Taylormade TP balls.  Also good all around performance goes to Srixon XV.  

Have not tried the Snell so I cannot comment on them.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• 4 weeks later...

Find a few demo days with Titleist, Taylor Made etc.  They will have clubs to hit but also they will give you a sleeve or two of any ball their company has.  Try them out on the course and go from there.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Costco has their Kirkland + ball which I'm told is similar to the ProV1.  Its $24 for 2 doz

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I’m a big fan of Srixon Z Stars. IMO they do everything that the Pro V1’s do except about 5$ cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

7 hours ago, josmi15 said:

I’m a big fan of Srixon Z Stars. IMO they do everything that the Pro V1’s do except about 5$ cheaper

... Thumbs up! Before I found the TP5x, the Z Star was my favorite ball. And you can usually find last years Z Star for $29.99 or less. 

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any balls on the market, at any less cost, which have a similar feel on the putting green to the pro v1’s or pro v1x?

It’s been mentioned in here a few times already, but I use Kirkland balls and they’re very comparable. I prefer a ball that allows me to spin it around the greens and the Kirkland does that. Also, I always had issues with ProVs getting cut up from my clubs during rounds. The Kirkland balls don’t seem to have that problem!

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (Fujikara 62g Stiff Shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP63 (stock length & lie)
Wedges: Mizuno Blue T7 (60,56,52 degree)
Handicap: 7

Bonjour all,

Still a beginner, but I love the Vice Pro Soft.

To be true, it might be the marketing from Vice that got me, because I prolly dont need such a ball with my super beginner level...

(if you guys have anything good even cheaper than Vice, I still lose a ball or two per round, so... xD )

Marie Laure

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing Snell golf balls ever since they were released.  

Yesterday, I played 18 holes and after just 8 holes, I noticed some pretty good scuffs on the Snell MTB Black.  Being picky about the ball I play, I grabbed a brand new one and within about 3 holes, I took a look at it and it had a cut in the outer cover.  

I'm 71 years old and a moderate swing speed.  No way I could be doing this with my clubs.  A little worried about the quality control on the MTB Black.  I switched to a Bridgestone B RX for the rest of the round and found no markings on it at all when I finished.

these days golf ball fitting is becoming more and more popular just like a driver or iron fitting. The large diversity of balls will play differently for different players just like clubs.

I know the kirland golf balls from Costco were so close to Pro V 1's that Titleist sued them. Since they had to change their formula, the new Costco Kirland balls are still good. Great for the money. The Taylormade TP5 is an excellent ball and is very similar to Titleist. Good enough that pro's are switching.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

• 4 months later...

Objectively from a basic construction, overall construction, and common performance standpoint, the closest for years has been the Srixon ZStar. The ZStar’s cover being TPU is a bit harder vs the ProV1’s cast thermoset urethane cover  which to me has meant greater durability and negligible less spin on lower speed shots.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I use the Costco Kirkland 3 piece. I opened the first sleeve of 3 on my garage bay "driving range" about 3 weeks ago. I have cycled the same 3 balls through hundreds of shots. From 56* wedges to 3i driving iron shots. I literally spend at least 30 minutes a day, 7 days a week hitting these balls.

There is only one mark on any of the 3 balls, and it's from a miss-hit that hit the garage door guide. Not from impact from a club.

These things are soft feeling, but insanely durable.

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

On 3/14/2019 at 6:08 AM, Apes44 said:

Costco has their Kirkland + ball which I'm told is similar to the ProV1.  Its $24 for 2 doz

I've heard that the Kirkland balls were the bees knees when they first came out but that they changed mfg (or design) and are not as good?  Anyone have the inside scoop on this being fact or fiction?  Also, are the Snell MTB-X most similar to Pro V1x or Pro V1?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I did a bunch of searching this year after doing the e12 Speed test early in the season. Tried a box of ProVs, but they price themselves out of the bag. Side by side comparison of those to the Vice Pro and then the Vice Pro+ has come out with the Pro+ in the bag as the gamer. Best scores of the year have all been with the Pro+. Equal in every way, and better in some, than the ProV performance wise (for me) and a fair bit friendlier to the wallet.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out