TESTERS WANTED! ×

What’s most similar to ProV1’s?

Alanpe

42 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've heard that the Kirkland balls were the bees knees when they first came out but that they changed mfg (or design) and are not as good?  Anyone have the inside scoop on this being fact or fiction?  Also, are the Snell MTB-X most similar to Pro V1x or Pro V1?

The original 4-piece Kirkland was amazing but not available anymore.  The new 3-piece is not nearly as good but still better than anything non-urethane and cheaper to boot.  Not a bad ball at all but not outstanding like the original 4-piece.

I don't find the MTB-X to be similar to either the Pro V1 or Pro V1x at all.  For me, it's closer to a Taylormade TP Red or TP Black.  Much more "clicky" with a harder feel and slightly less spin than a Pro V1 or Pro V1x.  

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've heard that the Kirkland balls were the bees knees when they first came out but that they changed mfg (or design) and are not as good?  Anyone have the inside scoop on this being fact or fiction?  Also, are the Snell MTB-X most similar to Pro V1x or Pro V1?

The Kirkland that much such a splash were over run cores that were purchased through a 3rd party....once they ran out, they were gone forever....now Kirkland buys whatever is out there and slaps their name on it but the good Kirkland will never be back.....look elsewhere...

Golf is cool

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:40 AM, Alanpe said:

Are there any balls on the market, at any less cost, which have a similar feel on the putting green to the pro v1’s or pro v1x?

as a 6 HDCP i would think you would have the answer to your own question....but just wait for Titleist sales and stock up. Nothing is as good as a prov1

Golf is cool

19 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

The Kirkland that much such a splash were over run cores that were purchased through a 3rd party....once they ran out, they were gone forever....now Kirkland buys whatever is out there and slaps their name on it but the good Kirkland will never be back.....look elsewhere...

Any source on the second half of your comment?

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

4 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Any source on the second half of your comment?

Nassua golf made the original one that was a 4 piece and that stock is gone. The new version is a 3 piece made by SM global. Kirkland just buys a ball and slaps their name on it...there’s no design or input from Kirkland.

its easy to google this info 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

57 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nassua golf made the original one that was a 4 piece and that stock is gone. The new version is a 3 piece made by SM global. Kirkland just buys a ball and slaps their name on it...there’s no design or input from Kirkland.

its easy to google this info 

30 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

see @RickyBobby_PRcomment ...was just about to post the same thing

Sorry guys, either I am stupid, or yall's info is outdated.

SM Global is a packaging company, not a manufaturer (as noted by MGS in this article https://mygolfspy.com/costco-ksig-performance-one-ball/)

So my question remains, how do you know where Costco is getting the current 3 piece KSig ball? 

16 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Sorry guys, either I am stupid, or yall's info is outdated.

SM Global is a packaging company, not a manufaturer (as noted by MGS in this article https://mygolfspy.com/costco-ksig-performance-one-ball/)

So my question remains, how do you know where Costco is getting the current 3 piece KSig ball? 

Definitely NOT stupid....maybe i am outdated. That certainly can be the case but I think the point is nobody ever really knew where Kirklands balls came from....they do not manufacture balls.....Nassau golf used to make Taylor Made balls and the rumor was the kirkland core came off the same line..... once the original 4 piece ball was depleted and the over run cores were no longer available, the 3 piece ball became a deeper mystery......what we do know is Kirkland does not manufacture balls, they just slap their name on something....

so, that's pretty much all I have...so if that is outdate, i apologize. Also SM is a manufacturing company.....see the link provided

Kirkland Golf Ball Link

"It appears SM Global LLC, , an American subsidiary of a Korean company that is the second manufacturing partner for Costco golf balls, produced these balls as well. Nassua Golf Co. Ltd. of South Korea made the original Kirkland Signature four-piece golf ball."

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

Definitely NOT stupid....maybe i am outdated. That certainly can be the case but I think the point is nobody ever really knew where Kirklands balls came from....they do not manufacture balls.....Nassau golf used to make Taylor Made balls and the rumor was the kirkland core came off the same line..... once the original 4 piece ball was depleted and the over run cores were no longer available, the 3 piece ball became a deeper mystery......what we do know is Kirkland does not manufacture balls, they just slap their name on something....

so, that's pretty much all I have...so if that is outdate, i apologize. Also SM is a manufacturing company.....see the link provided

Kirkland Golf Ball Link

"It appears SM Global LLC, , an American subsidiary of a Korean company that is the second manufacturing partner for Costco golf balls, produced these balls as well. Nassua Golf Co. Ltd. of South Korea made the original Kirkland Signature four-piece golf ball."

This. The important detail as has been pointed out by mgs in follow discussions from the bell study and finditcutit the quality of balls decline the further a brand gets away from owning processes. Kirkland is just rebranding balls and that’s why they are so cheap and they may never be the same from release to release.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

IMO, the Vice Pro or Snell MT-B is very similar to the Pro-V1 at a cheaper price.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm very happy with the performance of the Snell MTB-X and consider it a worthy competitor to any of the premium balls.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 9/5/2019 at 2:22 PM, Tsecor said:

Kirkland Golf Ball Link

SM Global LLC is a packaging and logistics company that packages and imports some of the asian produced Kirkland brand products for Costco (the packaging on the Callaway 3 pack gloves also had this company’s name on it). 180S filed a patent infringement lawsuit related to earmuffs with Costco and SM Global as the defendants several years ago so the products are not exclusive to golf. 

Ultimately, they are not actually producing the balls. 

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

8 hours ago, storm319 said:

SM Global LLC is a packaging and logistics company that packages and imports some of the asian produced Kirkland brand products for Costco (the packaging on the Callaway 3 pack gloves also had this company’s name on it). 180S filed a patent infringement lawsuit related to earmuffs with Costco and SM Global as the defendants several years ago so the products are not exclusive to golf. 

Ultimately, they are not actually producing the balls. 

Id contend that even a lot of golf companies arent producing the balls themselves.  If you buy a box of balls and they are made in China, Taiwan or South Korea; theyre probably not made by that company.

Even still, who cares.  Chinese made Wilson Duos are awesome, South Korean made Snells are great and various manufacturers have their golf balls made in Taiwan.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

2 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Id contend that even a lot of golf companies arent producing the balls themselves.  If you buy a box of balls and they are made in China, Taiwan or South Korea; theyre probably not made by that company.

Even still, who cares.  Chinese made Wilson Duos are awesome, South Korean made Snells are great and various manufacturers have their golf balls made in Taiwan.

The design and manufacturing(making) are important. As mgs points out the quality of the ball declines the further the name on the ball gets away from the whole process. 

#finditcutit is having a big influence on that. Callaway who owns a large portion of the process has issues to the tune of now investing $50million into the making and qc of their balls. Imagine how bad a ball can be for brands that own even less of the process  

24 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

I guess my point was, Vice or Cut could be selling Costco these Kirkland balls and none of us would know.
I was hoping someone here would know the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

when they are purchased through a 3rd party and they are purchased as over runs, im sure you probably have multiple manufacturers making money off their crappy cores not good enough for retail.  

Golf is cool

... I think we all know selecting one of the premium balls where the OEM has control over the design and manufacturing process is ideal. But there are also a ton of golfers that never hit the same shot the same way twice and ball consistency is near the bottom of their list. I played with a guy last week the lost 1 dozen balls and broke out the 13th on the last hole. It was very windy, there is a ton of deep heather and water that comes into play on this course. He was playing Kirkland 3 piece balls and actually had a second dozen in his bag. So he lost $12 in one round which is a lot better than losing $47 in one round, especially if he plays more than once a week.

... My wife is a good player and had been using Kirkland 3 piece balls because she needed the extra spin. However after the MGS ball test, I bought her 4 six packs of Z Star's for $20 a dozen which will last her the rest of this year and most of next.   

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

44 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I think we all know selecting one of the premium balls where the OEM has control over the design and manufacturing process is ideal. But there are also a ton of golfers that never hit the same shot the same way twice and ball consistency is near the bottom of their list. I played with a guy last week the lost 1 dozen balls and broke out the 13th on the last hole. It was very windy, there is a ton of deep heather and water that comes into play on this course. He was playing Kirkland 3 piece balls and actually had a second dozen in his bag. So he lost $12 in one round which is a lot better than losing $47 in one round, especially if he plays more than once a week.

... My wife is a good player and had been using Kirkland 3 piece balls because she needed the extra spin. However after the MGS ball test, I bought her 4 six packs of Z Star's for $20 a dozen which will last her the rest of this year and most of next.   

Or maybe if he played a better ball the results would have been better and not lose as many. I think we discount the ability of amateurs to repeat a swing. Many have a repetitive swing it’s just that it’s a flawed swing so contact on the face becomes inconsistent and not the actual swing. 

The pics we’ve seen thru the finditcutit shows it can be as much the ball as the golfer

36 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Or maybe if he played a better ball the results would have been better and not lose as many. I think we discount the ability of amateurs to repeat a swing. Many have a repetitive swing it’s just that it’s a flawed swing so contact on the face becomes inconsistent and not the actual swing. 

The pics we’ve seen thru the finditcutit shows it can be as much the ball as the golfer

... When you miss left and right, high and low as well as fat and thin, it ain't the ball. I play many rounds as a single and enjoy getting paired up with strangers. I have seen some atrocious swings and even worse putting strokes, several I had to look away when they putted because the yips and flipping were so bad. One guy in Phoenix looked like he was being tased his movement was so spastic and seemingly involuntary. But most golfers, especially higher index players I hav been paired up with seem to truly enjoy the game. As someone that taught full time I am always amazed at how some do the same thing over and over yet keep expecting different results. I understand the players the change their swing every hole more. 

... But back to the topic at hand, I just don't think the ball makes that much difference for the majority that play without a repeatable swing. I usually don't see a shot that looks good coming off the club face only to see it start to turn one way or another with an unexplainable ball flight, like balls did in the MGS test. I have no doubt that kind of poor quality exists and effects decent players shots and actually look forward to a ball inextricably flying offline so I can cut it open. I have watched my wife (a driving machine) hit every or almost every fairway and have never seen her hit one of her Kirklands crazily offline. Perhaps she has been lucky, although she rarely loses a ball, but she has played some of her best golf with those Kirklands. That said, after the MGS test I replaced them in her bag with Z Stars, just in case.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

when they are purchased through a 3rd party and they are purchased as over runs, im sure you probably have multiple manufacturers making money off their crappy cores not good enough for retail.  

Again with the claims.

Where do you get this info? Old articles online and speculation?

11 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Again with the claims.

It doesnt even matter. Such an old story. If u like it, play it.  Who cares.  

Golf is cool

58 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Again with the claims.

How about you provide proof that Kirkland is designing and producing their balls? There’s enough proof against it and that they have changed from the first version to the current one. 

How about you provide proof that Kirkland is designing and producing their balls? There’s enough proof against it and that they have changed from the first version to the current one. 

Haha, funny. I’m not the one making claims.
There’s zero proof that Costco is buying “reject” cores. There’s zero proof that Costco isn’t selling a ball that competes with any other brand.
The industry is rampant with relabeling, I am not claiming Costco is manufacturing anything. I 100% believe they are relabeled.
I am questioning why people go around spouting comments as fact, when they cannot substantiate any of it.

I think if the brand name were different, the assumption of quality would be different. People hear Costco and think junk. Costco also sells Callaway golf balls and clubs.

43 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

There’s zero proof that Costco is buying “reject” cores. There’s zero proof that Costco isn’t selling a ball that competes with any other brand.
The industry is rampant with relabeling, I am not claiming Costco is manufacturing anything. I 100% believe they are relabeled.
I am questioning why people go around spouting comments as fact, when they cannot substantiate any of it.

I think if the brand name were different, the assumption of quality would be different. People hear Costco and think junk. Costco also sells Callaway golf balls and clubs.

I don’t think anyone said they were buying eject cores rather they were just using a current design and being produced by company that produces other golf balls.

also that the current design is different from the original and that’s largely due to the lawsuit filed by acushnet. The current 3 piece ball will not perform as good as the tour level balls

https://www.wheresmycaddie.com/kirkland-golf-balls/

1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

Dean Snell is a pretty good source...check out the Kirkland thread on WRX if you are interested.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

Dean Snell is a pretty good source...check out the Kirkland thread on WRX if you are interested.

Well, I’ve read back 5 months and I have seen zero facts be presented.
Tsecor is there talking trash about it too, though.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:51 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The design and manufacturing(making) are important. As mgs points out the quality of the ball declines the further the name on the ball gets away from the whole process. 

#finditcutit is having a big influence on that. Callaway who owns a large portion of the process has issues to the tune of now investing $50million into the making and qc of their balls. Imagine how bad a ball can be for brands that own even less of the process  

It would seem to me that the quality issues have mostly been isolated to Callaway.  I dont remember seeing the same said about Vice, Snell, Wilson, Bridgestone or Srixon; who also have their balls made in Asia.  Foremost makes balls under a lot of different brand names and Im yet to see any quality concerns with them.  The only thing that Ive ever heard about any of those was with earlier Vice offerings and even then, it was just that the cover would start to discolor over time.

I have really enjoyed, "find it, cut it" too.  Its been very interesting.

Edited by ZenGolfer

4 hours ago, KurtActual said:

Well, I’ve read back 5 months and I have seen zero facts be presented.

So, why don't you present us with a few. That'd be helpful wouldn't it?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On 9/7/2019 at 1:05 PM, KurtActual said:

I guess my point was, Vice or Cut could be selling Costco these Kirkland balls and none of us would know.
I was hoping someone here would know the manufacturer.

I think that just about anyone could start a golf ball company by going to one of these ball manufacturers in Asia.  I believe I read somewhere that all it takes is $50k to get started and they will make balls to whatever specs you want.  It would not surprise me at all if most of the name brand balls were simply the same ball with different brands stamped on them.

If someone thinks that a Srixon that was made in Taiwan is better than a Vice, Cut or Costsco that was also made in Taiwan at probably the same ball plant, well, thats what brand bias and marketing does for you.