Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What’s most similar to ProV1’s?

Alanpe

2 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

I think that just about anyone could start a golf ball company by going to one of these ball manufacturers in Asia.  I believe I read somewhere that all it takes is $50k to get started and they will make balls to whatever specs you want.  It would not surprise me at all if most of the name brand balls were simply the same ball with different brands stamped on them.

If someone thinks that a Srixon that was made in Taiwan is better than a Vice, Cut or Costsco that was also made in Taiwan at probably the same ball plant, well, thats what brand bias and marketing does for you.

... The big difference is Srixon has their balls manufactured to their specs and have a say in the QC. You order a ball from a catalog, you get what you get and there is no say in QC. While I don't have a source, I have heard some of the balls offered thru the catalog to 3rd party vendors are QC rejects from OEMs that have a ball manufactured to their specs and they fall short. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

So, why don't you present us with a few. That'd be helpful wouldn't it?

If you’d read back a few posts, you’ll find that I am the one asking questions, and when people respond, I ask for proof.
Hard to provide facts when all I’ve brought are questions.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

42 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

It would seem to me that the quality issues have mostly been isolated to Callaway.  I dont remember seeing the same said about Vice, Snell, Wilson, Bridgestone or Srixon; who also have their balls made in Asia.  Foremost makes balls under a lot of different brand names and Im yet to see any quality concerns with them.  The only thing that Ive ever heard about any of those was with earlier Vice offerings and even then, it was just that the cover would start to discolor over time.

I have really enjoyed, "find it, cut it" too.  Its been very interesting.

Srixon and Bridgestone own the entire process. 

Vice was already shown by mgs and discussed recently in no putts given and social media posts from Tony as part of the #finditcutit...iirc they were some of the first ones called out. I don’t recall seeing anything posted by anyone on snell but the ball study did find one version to be just ok.

42 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

So, why don't you present us with a few. That'd be helpful wouldn't it?

It’s easier to just say you nuh uh vice counter arguing the info presented. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

... The big difference is Srixon has their balls manufactured to their specs and have a say in the QC. You order a ball from a catalog, you get what you get and there is no say in QC. While I don't have a source, I have heard some of the balls offered thru the catalog to 3rd party vendors are QC rejects from OEMs that have a ball manufactured to their specs and they fall short. 
That makes a big assumption that it is manufactured to the big company's specs and they do their own qc and the smaller companies dont. I know that Vice claims they design and engineer their own golf balls and I've seen videos of them walking through the plant in Taiwan and cutting balls. In the end, none of us really know for sure and, "knowing a guy, who knows a guy who heard sonething" isn't good enough for me. To each their own though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 minute ago, ZenGolfer said:

That makes a big assumption that it is manufactured to the big company's specs and they do their own qc and the smaller companies dont. I know that Vice claims they design and engineer their own golf balls and I've seen videos of them walking through the plant in Taiwan and cutting balls. In the end, none of us really know for sure and, "knowing a guy, who knows a guy who heard sonething" isn't good enough for me. To each their own though.

... I have spoken with Srixon's VP of Marketing and their golf ball engineers so I do know Srixon has complete control of their manufacturing process. And far from "knowing a guy, who knows a guy who heard something" I have heard from a few in the industry that told me in confidence any catalog order is just that, ordering an existing product with no input on anything. 

... The above said, this is much ado about nothing imo. Pick whatever ball you want, pay what you like and play some golf. For me, it isn't worth it to take a chance on a ball that might cost me a few strokes so I avoid DTC balls other than Snell who has a proven pedigree. 

22 minutes ago, chisag said:

... The above said, this is much ado about nothing imo. Pick whatever ball you want, pay what you like and play some golf. For me, it isn't worth it to take a chance on a ball that might cost me a few strokes so I avoid DTC balls other than Snell who has a proven pedigree. 

Well said...

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... I have spoken with Srixon's VP of Marketing and their golf ball engineers so I do know Srixon has complete control of their manufacturing process. And far from "knowing a guy, who knows a guy who heard something" I have heard from a few in the industry that told me in confidence any catalog order is just that, ordering an existing product with no input on anything. 

You spoke to the vp of marketing? As someone who works in manufacturing, I can tell you that the marketing department has no clue of what goes on out on the production floor. About Snell, sure, his pedigree is unquestionable but what about his qc and controlling of the production process? Again, lots of assumptions going on here. You are right though, play what you like.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

...  edited. 

Edited by chisag

time to move on from the Kirkland discussion. they are basically irrelevant in the market. 

I would say Srixon and Snell are the two balls that are cheap enough but you get tour level performance.  

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

You spoke to the vp of marketing? As someone who works in manufacturing, I can tell you that the marketing department has no clue of what goes on out on the production floor. About Snell, sure, his pedigree is unquestionable but what about his qc and controlling of the production process? Again, lots of assumptions going on here. You are right though, play what you like.

MGS already covered what brands own what part of the process and Srixon who is owned by a rubber company control the whole process as does Bridgestone who is another rubber company and Titleist. The rest of the brands slowly get further away from the whole process.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

MGS already covered what brands own what part of the process and Srixon who is owned by a rubber company control the whole process as does Bridgestone who is another rubber company and Titleist. The rest of the brands slowly get further away from the whole process.

No use arguing with trolls who will fight with no actual facts. Gotta love the internet 

57 minutes ago, jlukes said:

No use arguing with trolls who will fight with no actual facts. Gotta love the internet 

It is exhausting to read though.  This thread is 15 minutes of my life, I'll never get back 😜

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

19 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

I think that just about anyone could start a golf ball company by going to one of these ball manufacturers in Asia.  I believe I read somewhere that all it takes is $50k to get started and they will make balls to whatever specs you want.  It would not surprise me at all if most of the name brand balls were simply the same ball with different brands stamped on them.

Interesting theory and in today's global markets would not surprise me if true.  I'd be hacked finding out I spent $50 on a dozen balls that came off the same assembly line as Wilson Zip's 🤬.

This sounds like a great MGS mission for one of our agents - ala Tom Cruise listening to the "should you choose to accept this mission" message just before it goes up in smoke 🙂.  I nominate @chisag... both the name and the avatar look the part 👍.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)