Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Alanpe

What’s most similar to ProV1’s?

Are there any balls on the market, at any less cost, which have a similar feel on the putting green to the pro v1’s or pro v1x?

Lots: Snell Black, Kirkland, Srixon Z-Stars, Taylormade TP5 to name a few.   Best bet is to buy a sleeve and see how you like them. 

1 hour ago, Alanpe said:

Are there any balls on the market, at any less cost, which have a similar feel on the putting green to the pro v1’s or pro v1x?

You're new to the forum and welcome. Stick around and you'll learn more than just which balls are good. See Below.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Lots: Snell Black, Kirkland, Srixon Z-Stars, Taylormade TP5 to name a few.   Best bet is to buy a sleeve and see how you like them. 

3 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

You're new to the forum and welcome. Stick around and you'll learn more than just which balls are good. See Below.

I am but a young grasshopper.  Teach me. I will stick around but if you have another tip, I am open to hearing you out 

5 minutes ago, Alanpe said:

I am but a young grasshopper.  Teach me. I will stick around but if you have another tip, I am open to hearing you out 

Even better. There's a lot of knowledge and opinions from a diverse crowd in the forum. I'm not teaching anyone anything about this game. I'm 64 and still learn something almost everyday. But I think in a short while you'll learn a lot by reading what various members say and think. You're questions and opinions are important too. Especially if you like equipment the forum and the blog are the place to be. Enjoy your journey grasshopper. 🙂

• Like 2

I was a MGS reviewer of the Snell MTB Red last season and found that while it was similar to the PV in many respects, it was short on performance in the wind. I found on independent testing that the Snell MTB Black was far superior in the wind and possesses a very close performance profile to the PV's for way less $. I currently play the Blacks exclusively after the tests and switched from the Bridgestone E6 softs. Below are a couple of links; one to the member review of the Snell MTB line and one to Snell's web page. Cheers and welcome!

https://www.snellgolf.com/

• Like 4

... Dean Snell was instrumental in developing the ProV1 and I find his My Tour Black to be very similar in every way. Snell has a sale going on right now thru midnight for Super Bowl Sunday:  10% off and free shipping. Great deal I took advantage of using SUPERBOWL10 at check out. 

• Like 4

I've played the MTB for the past two seasons, MTB Original and then MTB Black. For the preceding 52 years, I'd played Titleist balls almost exclusively, the Pro V1 or their earlier premier tour balls mostly though sometimes lesser tech balls. I'm not a great player, but there is no appreciable difference between an MTB Black and a Pro V1 in my experience, not in distance, approach spin, feel putting or otherwise and not in quality/consistency.

I did buy a dozen Pro V1's beginning of 2017 season, and I bought and tried a sleeve of AVX's in 2018 - just to keep comparing ongoing. And I will probably throw in a few Pro V1's here and there whenever they claim 'new & improved' - though it's 90%+ marketing hype, all ball & equipment makers.

So there's no reason for me to spend $48/doz on Pro V1's over $32/doz for MTBB - my last 4 dozen cost $25/doz. The difference in cost is mostly paying pro endorsements to most of the top players, I'm not keen on paying that premium. YMMV

Edited by Middler
  • Like 5

I am a big fan of both the Snell and Vice balls. I have a source where I am getting them used grade A cheap. Both of those balls surpass the Pro V IMHO. I played titleist balls for many years even back to the balata days. Even if I had to buy new I would choose either the Vice or Snell balls. 

• Like 2

I really like the Snell Black. As @chisag said, Dean Snell worked on and developed the Pro V1, and he took all of his expertise and new ideas to Snell. In doing so, he ended up making a Tour level ball at half the price. 

The new TM balls are great balls too--- I have found and played a couple of them God Bless the rich snowbird tourists-- But can not justify the price of a new dozen-- In fact I am so stoked on the Snell and Vice balls If I still played comp or high dollar matches I would not hesitate to put either one of those in front line play of course they would be new ones

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

The new TM balls are great balls too--- I have found and played a couple of them God Bless the rich snowbird tourists-- But can not justify the price of a new dozen-- In fact I am so stoked on the Snell and Vice balls If I still played comp or high dollar matches I would not hesitate to put either one of those in front line play of course they would be new ones

... The TP5x is still my favorite because it is just a little longer with a higher trajectory and a little less spin but right there with you and I would not hesitate to play a Snell Black under any circumstance.  

• Like 2

All tour level balls are good. It’s about finding what works best for your game. Ball fittings are a great way to find this and several of the big names are doing them.

the other way is on course testing 

• Like 1

TP5 hands down is the best ball I have played....Flies beautiful in the wind and for me is great around the green. For me its all about feel with a golf ball and the TP5 is exactly the ball I was after. Price wise you can probably pick the 2017 version fairly reasonable due to the new version coming out. Here in the UK its around £30 a box.  

Late to the party, but I will have +1 for Snell MTB Black. It is about as close to the ProV that you will find and the cost is much better. It is 31.99 shipped. If you buy in bulk it is cheaper. You can find others, but Snell is probably the best of the “lesser known” brands. TP5 May be good, but it’s still  40 a dozen.