What’s most similar to ProV1’s?

7 hours ago, josmi15 said:

I’m a big fan of Srixon Z Stars. IMO they do everything that the Pro V1’s do except about 5$ cheaper

... Thumbs up! Before I found the TP5x, the Z Star was my favorite ball. And you can usually find last years Z Star for $29.99 or less. 

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                 Cobra SZ 18.5* ... Even Flow 75R
Utility:   TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
              Taylor Made RBZ Tour 21.5* ... Altus 85S
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 Vokey SM8 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No use arguing with trolls who will fight with no actual facts. Gotta love the internet 

It is exhausting to read though.  This thread is 15 minutes of my life, I'll never get back 😜  

I was a MGS reviewer of the Snell MTB Red last season and found that while it was similar to the PV in many respects, it was short on performance in the wind. I found on independent testing that the S

Are there any balls on the market, at any less cost, which have a similar feel on the putting green to the pro v1’s or pro v1x?

It’s been mentioned in here a few times already, but I use Kirkland balls and they’re very comparable. I prefer a ball that allows me to spin it around the greens and the Kirkland does that. Also, I always had issues with ProVs getting cut up from my clubs during rounds. The Kirkland balls don’t seem to have that problem!

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (Fujikara 62g Stiff Shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP63 (stock length & lie)
Wedges: Mizuno Blue T7 (60,56,52 degree)
Handicap: 7
  • Like 1

Bonjour all,

Still a beginner, but I love the Vice Pro Soft.

To be true, it might be the marketing from Vice that got me, because I prolly dont need such a ball with my super beginner level...

(if you guys have anything good even cheaper than Vice, I still lose a ball or two per round, so... xD )

Marie Laure

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been playing Snell golf balls ever since they were released.  

Yesterday, I played 18 holes and after just 8 holes, I noticed some pretty good scuffs on the Snell MTB Black.  Being picky about the ball I play, I grabbed a brand new one and within about 3 holes, I took a look at it and it had a cut in the outer cover.  

I'm 71 years old and a moderate swing speed.  No way I could be doing this with my clubs.  A little worried about the quality control on the MTB Black.  I switched to a Bridgestone B RX for the rest of the round and found no markings on it at all when I finished.

these days golf ball fitting is becoming more and more popular just like a driver or iron fitting. The large diversity of balls will play differently for different players just like clubs.

I know the kirland golf balls from Costco were so close to Pro V 1's that Titleist sued them. Since they had to change their formula, the new Costco Kirland balls are still good. Great for the money. The Taylormade TP5 is an excellent ball and is very similar to Titleist. Good enough that pro's are switching.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

• 4 months later...

Objectively from a basic construction, overall construction, and common performance standpoint, the closest for years has been the Srixon ZStar. The ZStar’s cover being TPU is a bit harder vs the ProV1’s cast thermoset urethane cover  which to me has meant greater durability and negligible less spin on lower speed shots.

• Like 1

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

I use the Costco Kirkland 3 piece. I opened the first sleeve of 3 on my garage bay "driving range" about 3 weeks ago. I have cycled the same 3 balls through hundreds of shots. From 56* wedges to 3i driving iron shots. I literally spend at least 30 minutes a day, 7 days a week hitting these balls.

There is only one mark on any of the 3 balls, and it's from a miss-hit that hit the garage door guide. Not from impact from a club.

These things are soft feeling, but insanely durable.

• Like 3
  • :tour-edge: EXS Driver
  • :cobra-small: King F8 3w
  • :titelist-small: 818 H1 Hybrid
  • :nike-small:VR-S Forged 5-PW
  • :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP 56*
  • :wilson_staff_small: Infinite Lake Shore
On 3/14/2019 at 6:08 AM, Apes44 said:

Costco has their Kirkland + ball which I'm told is similar to the ProV1.  Its $24 for 2 doz

I've heard that the Kirkland balls were the bees knees when they first came out but that they changed mfg (or design) and are not as good?  Anyone have the inside scoop on this being fact or fiction?  Also, are the Snell MTB-X most similar to Pro V1x or Pro V1?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I did a bunch of searching this year after doing the e12 Speed test early in the season. Tried a box of ProVs, but they price themselves out of the bag. Side by side comparison of those to the Vice Pro and then the Vice Pro+ has come out with the Pro+ in the bag as the gamer. Best scores of the year have all been with the Pro+. Equal in every way, and better in some, than the ProV performance wise (for me) and a fair bit friendlier to the wallet.

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Rossie

42 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I've heard that the Kirkland balls were the bees knees when they first came out but that they changed mfg (or design) and are not as good?  Anyone have the inside scoop on this being fact or fiction?  Also, are the Snell MTB-X most similar to Pro V1x or Pro V1?

The original 4-piece Kirkland was amazing but not available anymore.  The new 3-piece is not nearly as good but still better than anything non-urethane and cheaper to boot.  Not a bad ball at all but not outstanding like the original 4-piece.

I don't find the MTB-X to be similar to either the Pro V1 or Pro V1x at all.  For me, it's closer to a Taylormade TP Red or TP Black.  Much more "clicky" with a harder feel and slightly less spin than a Pro V1 or Pro V1x.  

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:08 AM, Apes44 said:

Costco has their Kirkland + ball which I'm told is similar to the ProV1.  Its $24 for 2 doz

lol

I try other brands...keep coming back to Titleist....why??

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The Kirkland that much such a splash were over run cores that were purchased through a 3rd party....once they ran out, they were gone forever....now Kirkland buys whatever is out there and slaps their name on it but the good Kirkland will never be back.....look elsewhere...

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:40 AM, Alanpe said:

Are there any balls on the market, at any less cost, which have a similar feel on the putting green to the pro v1’s or pro v1x?

as a 6 HDCP i would think you would have the answer to your own question....but just wait for Titleist sales and stock up. Nothing is as good as a prov1

19 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

The Kirkland that much such a splash were over run cores that were purchased through a 3rd party....once they ran out, they were gone forever....now Kirkland buys whatever is out there and slaps their name on it but the good Kirkland will never be back.....look elsewhere...

Any source on the second half of your comment?

4 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Nassua golf made the original one that was a 4 piece and that stock is gone. The new version is a 3 piece made by SM global. Kirkland just buys a ball and slaps their name on it...there’s no design or input from Kirkland.

its easy to google this info 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

36 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

see @RickyBobby_PRcomment ...was just about to post the same thing

Edited by Tsecor
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Nassua golf made the original one that was a 4 piece and that stock is gone. The new version is a 3 piece made by SM global. Kirkland just buys a ball and slaps their name on it...there’s no design or input from Kirkland.

its easy to google this info 

30 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

see @RickyBobby_PRcomment ...was just about to post the same thing

Sorry guys, either I am stupid, or yall's info is outdated.

SM Global is a packaging company, not a manufaturer (as noted by MGS in this article https://mygolfspy.com/costco-ksig-performance-one-ball/)

So my question remains, how do you know where Costco is getting the current 3 piece KSig ball? 

16 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Sorry guys, either I am stupid, or yall's info is outdated.

SM Global is a packaging company, not a manufaturer (as noted by MGS in this article https://mygolfspy.com/costco-ksig-performance-one-ball/)

So my question remains, how do you know where Costco is getting the current 3 piece KSig ball? 

Definitely NOT stupid....maybe i am outdated. That certainly can be the case but I think the point is nobody ever really knew where Kirklands balls came from....they do not manufacture balls.....Nassau golf used to make Taylor Made balls and the rumor was the kirkland core came off the same line..... once the original 4 piece ball was depleted and the over run cores were no longer available, the 3 piece ball became a deeper mystery......what we do know is Kirkland does not manufacture balls, they just slap their name on something....

so, that's pretty much all I have...so if that is outdate, i apologize. Also SM is a manufacturing company.....see the link provided

Kirkland Golf Ball Link

"It appears SM Global LLC, , an American subsidiary of a Korean company that is the second manufacturing partner for Costco golf balls, produced these balls as well. Nassua Golf Co. Ltd. of South Korea made the original Kirkland Signature four-piece golf ball."

Edited by Tsecor

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

Definitely NOT stupid....maybe i am outdated. That certainly can be the case but I think the point is nobody ever really knew where Kirklands balls came from....they do not manufacture balls.....Nassau golf used to make Taylor Made balls and the rumor was the kirkland core came off the same line..... once the original 4 piece ball was depleted and the over run cores were no longer available, the 3 piece ball became a deeper mystery......what we do know is Kirkland does not manufacture balls, they just slap their name on something....

so, that's pretty much all I have...so if that is outdate, i apologize. Also SM is a manufacturing company.....see the link provided

Kirkland Golf Ball Link

"It appears SM Global LLC, , an American subsidiary of a Korean company that is the second manufacturing partner for Costco golf balls, produced these balls as well. Nassua Golf Co. Ltd. of South Korea made the original Kirkland Signature four-piece golf ball."

This. The important detail as has been pointed out by mgs in follow discussions from the bell study and finditcutit the quality of balls decline the further a brand gets away from owning processes. Kirkland is just rebranding balls and that’s why they are so cheap and they may never be the same from release to release.

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1