Jump to content

What’s most similar to ProV1’s?


Alanpe
 Share

Recommended Posts

IMO, the Vice Pro or Snell MT-B is very similar to the Pro-V1 at a cheaper price.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm very happy with the performance of the Snell MTB-X and consider it a worthy competitor to any of the premium balls.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at N) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Mitishibishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 4 -- Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBSTour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX

Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer 

 

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2019 at 2:22 PM, Tsecor said:

Definitely NOT stupid....maybe i am outdated. That certainly can be the case but I think the point is nobody ever really knew where Kirklands balls came from....they do not manufacture balls.....Nassau golf used to make Taylor Made balls and the rumor was the kirkland core came off the same line..... once the original 4 piece ball was depleted and the over run cores were no longer available, the 3 piece ball became a deeper mystery......what we do know is Kirkland does not manufacture balls, they just slap their name on something....

so, that's pretty much all I have...so if that is outdate, i apologize. Also SM is a manufacturing company.....see the link provided

Kirkland Golf Ball Link

 

"It appears SM Global LLC, , an American subsidiary of a Korean company that is the second manufacturing partner for Costco golf balls, produced these balls as well. Nassua Golf Co. Ltd. of South Korea made the original Kirkland Signature four-piece golf ball."

SM Global LLC is a packaging and logistics company that packages and imports some of the asian produced Kirkland brand products for Costco (the packaging on the Callaway 3 pack gloves also had this company’s name on it). 180S filed a patent infringement lawsuit related to earmuffs with Costco and SM Global as the defendants several years ago so the products are not exclusive to golf. 

 

Ultimately, they are not actually producing the balls. 

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, storm319 said:

SM Global LLC is a packaging and logistics company that packages and imports some of the asian produced Kirkland brand products for Costco (the packaging on the Callaway 3 pack gloves also had this company’s name on it). 180S filed a patent infringement lawsuit related to earmuffs with Costco and SM Global as the defendants several years ago so the products are not exclusive to golf. 

 

Ultimately, they are not actually producing the balls. 

Id contend that even a lot of golf companies arent producing the balls themselves.  If you buy a box of balls and they are made in China, Taiwan or South Korea; theyre probably not made by that company.

Even still, who cares.  Chinese made Wilson Duos are awesome, South Korean made Snells are great and various manufacturers have their golf balls made in Taiwan.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Id contend that even a lot of golf companies arent producing the balls themselves.  If you buy a box of balls and they are made in China, Taiwan or South Korea; theyre probably not made by that company.

Even still, who cares.  Chinese made Wilson Duos are awesome, South Korean made Snells are great and various manufacturers have their golf balls made in Taiwan.

The design and manufacturing(making) are important. As mgs points out the quality of the ball declines the further the name on the ball gets away from the whole process. 

#finditcutit is having a big influence on that. Callaway who owns a large portion of the process has issues to the tune of now investing $50million into the making and qc of their balls. Imagine how bad a ball can be for brands that own even less of the process  

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess my point was, Vice or Cut could be selling Costco these Kirkland balls and none of us would know.
I was hoping someone here would know the manufacturer.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

I guess my point was, Vice or Cut could be selling Costco these Kirkland balls and none of us would know.
I was hoping someone here would know the manufacturer.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

when they are purchased through a 3rd party and they are purchased as over runs, im sure you probably have multiple manufacturers making money off their crappy cores not good enough for retail.  

Golf is cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

... I think we all know selecting one of the premium balls where the OEM has control over the design and manufacturing process is ideal. But there are also a ton of golfers that never hit the same shot the same way twice and ball consistency is near the bottom of their list. I played with a guy last week the lost 1 dozen balls and broke out the 13th on the last hole. It was very windy, there is a ton of deep heather and water that comes into play on this course. He was playing Kirkland 3 piece balls and actually had a second dozen in his bag. So he lost $12 in one round which is a lot better than losing $47 in one round, especially if he plays more than once a week.

... My wife is a good player and had been using Kirkland 3 piece balls because she needed the extra spin. However after the MGS ball test, I bought her 4 six packs of Z Star's for $20 a dozen which will last her the rest of this year and most of next.   

  • Like 1

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I think we all know selecting one of the premium balls where the OEM has control over the design and manufacturing process is ideal. But there are also a ton of golfers that never hit the same shot the same way twice and ball consistency is near the bottom of their list. I played with a guy last week the lost 1 dozen balls and broke out the 13th on the last hole. It was very windy, there is a ton of deep heather and water that comes into play on this course. He was playing Kirkland 3 piece balls and actually had a second dozen in his bag. So he lost $12 in one round which is a lot better than losing $47 in one round, especially if he plays more than once a week.

... My wife is a good player and had been using Kirkland 3 piece balls because she needed the extra spin. However after the MGS ball test, I bought her 4 six packs of Z Star's for $20 a dozen which will last her the rest of this year and most of next.   

Or maybe if he played a better ball the results would have been better and not lose as many. I think we discount the ability of amateurs to repeat a swing. Many have a repetitive swing it’s just that it’s a flawed swing so contact on the face becomes inconsistent and not the actual swing. 

The pics we’ve seen thru the finditcutit shows it can be as much the ball as the golfer

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Or maybe if he played a better ball the results would have been better and not lose as many. I think we discount the ability of amateurs to repeat a swing. Many have a repetitive swing it’s just that it’s a flawed swing so contact on the face becomes inconsistent and not the actual swing. 

The pics we’ve seen thru the finditcutit shows it can be as much the ball as the golfer

 

... When you miss left and right, high and low as well as fat and thin, it ain't the ball. I play many rounds as a single and enjoy getting paired up with strangers. I have seen some atrocious swings and even worse putting strokes, several I had to look away when they putted because the yips and flipping were so bad. One guy in Phoenix looked like he was being tased his movement was so spastic and seemingly involuntary. But most golfers, especially higher index players I hav been paired up with seem to truly enjoy the game. As someone that taught full time I am always amazed at how some do the same thing over and over yet keep expecting different results. I understand the players the change their swing every hole more. 

... But back to the topic at hand, I just don't think the ball makes that much difference for the majority that play without a repeatable swing. I usually don't see a shot that looks good coming off the club face only to see it start to turn one way or another with an unexplainable ball flight, like balls did in the MGS test. I have no doubt that kind of poor quality exists and effects decent players shots and actually look forward to a ball inextricably flying offline so I can cut it open. I have watched my wife (a driving machine) hit every or almost every fairway and have never seen her hit one of her Kirklands crazily offline. Perhaps she has been lucky, although she rarely loses a ball, but she has played some of her best golf with those Kirklands. That said, after the MGS test I replaced them in her bag with Z Stars, just in case.  

  • Like 2

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... LinQ M40X 6F3
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

when they are purchased through a 3rd party and they are purchased as over runs, im sure you probably have multiple manufacturers making money off their crappy cores not good enough for retail.  


Again with the claims.

Where do you get this info? Old articles online and speculation?



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

 


Again with the claims.

Where do you get this info? Old articles online and speculation?



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

It doesnt even matter. Such an old story. If u like it, play it.  Who cares.  

  • Like 2

Golf is cool

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

 


Again with the claims.

Where do you get this info? Old articles online and speculation?



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

How about you provide proof that Kirkland is designing and producing their balls? There’s enough proof against it and that they have changed from the first version to the current one. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about you provide proof that Kirkland is designing and producing their balls? There’s enough proof against it and that they have changed from the first version to the current one. 


Haha, funny. I’m not the one making claims.
There’s zero proof that Costco is buying “reject” cores. There’s zero proof that Costco isn’t selling a ball that competes with any other brand.
The industry is rampant with relabeling, I am not claiming Costco is manufacturing anything. I 100% believe they are relabeled.
I am questioning why people go around spouting comments as fact, when they cannot substantiate any of it.

I think if the brand name were different, the assumption of quality would be different. People hear Costco and think junk. Costco also sells Callaway golf balls and clubs.



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

 


Haha, funny. I’m not the one making claims.
There’s zero proof that Costco is buying “reject” cores. There’s zero proof that Costco isn’t selling a ball that competes with any other brand.
The industry is rampant with relabeling, I am not claiming Costco is manufacturing anything. I 100% believe they are relabeled.
I am questioning why people go around spouting comments as fact, when they cannot substantiate any of it.

I think if the brand name were different, the assumption of quality would be different. People hear Costco and think junk. Costco also sells Callaway golf balls and clubs.



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

I don’t think anyone said they were buying eject cores rather they were just using a current design and being produced by company that produces other golf balls.

also that the current design is different from the original and that’s largely due to the lawsuit filed by acushnet. The current 3 piece ball will not perform as good as the tour level balls

https://www.wheresmycaddie.com/kirkland-golf-balls/

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KurtActual said:

 


Haha, funny. I’m not the one making claims.
There’s zero proof that Costco is buying “reject” cores. There’s zero proof that Costco isn’t selling a ball that competes with any other brand.
The industry is rampant with relabeling, I am not claiming Costco is manufacturing anything. I 100% believe they are relabeled.
I am questioning why people go around spouting comments as fact, when they cannot substantiate any of it.

I think if the brand name were different, the assumption of quality would be different. People hear Costco and think junk. Costco also sells Callaway golf balls and clubs.



Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

Dean Snell is a pretty good source...check out the Kirkland thread on WRX if you are interested.

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dean Snell is a pretty good source...check out the Kirkland thread on WRX if you are interested.


Well, I’ve read back 5 months and I have seen zero facts be presented.
Tsecor is there talking trash about it too, though.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2019 at 11:51 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The design and manufacturing(making) are important. As mgs points out the quality of the ball declines the further the name on the ball gets away from the whole process. 

#finditcutit is having a big influence on that. Callaway who owns a large portion of the process has issues to the tune of now investing $50million into the making and qc of their balls. Imagine how bad a ball can be for brands that own even less of the process  

It would seem to me that the quality issues have mostly been isolated to Callaway.  I dont remember seeing the same said about Vice, Snell, Wilson, Bridgestone or Srixon; who also have their balls made in Asia.  Foremost makes balls under a lot of different brand names and Im yet to see any quality concerns with them.  The only thing that Ive ever heard about any of those was with earlier Vice offerings and even then, it was just that the cover would start to discolor over time.

I have really enjoyed, "find it, cut it" too.  Its been very interesting.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KurtActual said:

Well, I’ve read back 5 months and I have seen zero facts be presented.

So, why don't you present us with a few. That'd be helpful wouldn't it?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

                                                                               :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

                                                                                :edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2019 at 1:05 PM, KurtActual said:

I guess my point was, Vice or Cut could be selling Costco these Kirkland balls and none of us would know.
I was hoping someone here would know the manufacturer.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think that just about anyone could start a golf ball company by going to one of these ball manufacturers in Asia.  I believe I read somewhere that all it takes is $50k to get started and they will make balls to whatever specs you want.  It would not surprise me at all if most of the name brand balls were simply the same ball with different brands stamped on them.

If someone thinks that a Srixon that was made in Taiwan is better than a Vice, Cut or Costsco that was also made in Taiwan at probably the same ball plant, well, thats what brand bias and marketing does for you.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...