Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Rickie Fowler Wins His First Tournament With The New TP5 Ball In Play

Golfspy_CG2

RICKIE FOWLER CAPTURES WMPO GAMING NEW TAYLORMADE TP5X GOLF BALL

In just his second week playing the TP5x competitively after more than a decade playing his previous model, TaylorMade's newest staffer captures 2nd victory for new '19 TP5/x line in same day following stablemate Dustin Johnson's victory at the Saudi International. 

"A lot of the best players in the world are playing pretty damned well with them. It's no joke.” 

Rickie Fowler, on his choice to switch to the TP5x
300645 tm19 rickiefowler cama 02699 v1 0f8e3c original 1547180837

After making this statement before putting the ball into play for the first time at the Farmers Insurance Open last week, Rickie can now include himself as one of the best players in the world playing - and playing well - with TaylorMade's TP5/x golf balls. 

"I think the golf ball is the biggest switch you can make in the bag...if it didn’t work for me, I wasn’t going to settle for anything else."

Fowler, on the importance of the golf ball and his switch to TaylorMade Tp5x

Rickie staved off three of the highest ranked players in the field to win at TPC Scottsdale, notching his 5th PGA TOUR victory.   

•  
  •  

TaylorMade introduced the 2019 TP5 and TP5x golf balls earlier this month, following the resounding global success of their predecessors on worldwide tours. With Fowler, 6 of the top 12 players in the Official World Golf Rankings have now put either the ‘19 TP5 or TP5x in play, further validating its world class performance. The 2019 models feature a new Speed Layer System with High-Flex Material (HFM), the fastest material the company has ever used in a golf ball. 

The all new TP5 & TP5x golf balls will hit retail shelves around the world on February 15. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Move on over, Titleist.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Ha I think it will be a while....if ever before we see any major shift in the ball count on tour.  They are still dominating it. 

But everyone ive heard from really likes the new TP5, and the old one was pretty good in its own right. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ha I think it will be a while....if ever before we see any major shift in the ball count on tour.  They are still dominating it. 

But everyone ive heard from really likes the new TP5, and the old one was pretty good in its own right. 

Yeah and it’s not even close on tour usage or in market share, although market share is closer than tour usage.

great win for Rickie and to come back from the mess that 11 was followed by bogey on 12 was impressive. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Exactly - I’m strongly considering a switch - friends gave me a box of the old TP5 x in early December and I’ve loved them - not quite as much green side spin as the Pro VIx IMO but a bit longer and very stable in the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Exactly - I’m strongly considering a switch - friends gave me a box of the old TP5 x in early December and I’ve loved them - not quite as much green side spin as the Pro VIx IMO but a bit longer and very stable in the wind.

I have had the exact experience with them. I have found them and the Bridgestone ball are a lil longer and both don’t get crazy in the wind. I love the feel of the ProV’s but if it’s windy I don’t tend to control them as well and conversely don’t spin as much around the green. They both spin enough.

In all honesty, is the only beneficiary of Rickie’s first win of the year Taylormade because of the ball he used?
Anyone think Cobra gets more out of the win?

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

32 minutes ago, Ronoc said:

In all honesty, is the only beneficiary of Rickie’s first win of the year Taylormade because of the ball he used?
Anyone think Cobra gets more out of the win?

They get something especially as now their 3 big staff members have won with the f9 but with Rickie having been on staff for as long as he has been he’s not moving any extra clubs with a win.

winning in his second event with the ball and being able to promote the switch from the #1 ball in golf is a lot bigger 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I have had the exact experience with them. I have found them and the Bridgestone ball are a lil longer and both don’t get crazy in the wind. I love the feel of the ProV’s but if it’s windy I don’t tend to control them as well and conversely don’t spin as much around the green. They both spin enough.

And it does show how balls perform differently for different players. Agree on the wind stability of the Bridgestone but it lags behind the other two in both distance and greenside spin for me. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I just saw TP5x on sale at Academy on Monday for $35-dz. On a side note...

Like Rickie I had my first Nassau sweep of the year. Beating 3 other guys using an old Ksig beater. Heh!  It was long and held the wind well.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

32 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I just saw TP5x on sale at Academy on Monday for $35-dz. On a side note...

Like Rickie I had my first Nassau sweep of the year. Beating 3 other guys using an old Ksig beater. Heh!  It was long and held the wind well.

Those are the previous tp5x balls. The new ones aren’t released yet

I might have to take back what I said about Rickie only #5witching because of a bigger payday. Maybe if he wins again this year hehe

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I have some of last years TP5x to try if it ever stops raining haha.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Archived