TESTERS WANTED! ×

The hype train has left, and taylormade and Callaway didn't get tickets.

Thin2win

I'm sure M5/6 are fine, and Epic Flash is green and stuff. And if I were placing money at Vegas, I'd bet they out sell the other brands, but I have no desire to even try out these clubs this year. I'll give the F9, the G410+ and the TS3 a shot at the 400 Max. I'll probably even hit Cortex, but not even going to try the big 2. 

Anyone else feel this way? I'm not sure why either. I've had more TM drivers than any other brand, and generally I like Callaway, so not hating. I just think their hype / AI invented faces are a missed fairway this year. 

It looks like cobra have really done something with aero this year that warrants real hype with the F9.  Everything I read /see about the TS3 says it is the first top notch metal wood from titliest in years. And the 410+... It is ping, so yeah, have they every really made a bad driver? 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I'll try anything that I think will help my game and fits my budget, regardless of marketing hype or talk. 

If it works, it works. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Not a fan of either, but I'll have a go when I look at drivers in March. They'd have to be super special to get a second look over the G410 and F9.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Never been a big Callaway or Taylormade fan anyway, but I definitely don't plan on ever hitting either of these drivers. Cobra, Ping, and Titleist are at the top of my list followed closely by Srixon and Mizuno (assuming I actually demo anything to begin with).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I'm not a huge Callaway or Taylormade fan anyway, but these really seemed to be a swing and a miss. I mean, I'll probably still hit them at some point, but I'm not expecting anything astonishing. I'm really looking forward to the F9, G410, and ST190. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

2 hours ago, GB13 said:

I'm not a huge Callaway or Taylormade fan anyway, but these really seemed to be a swing and a miss. I mean, I'll probably still hit them at some point, but I'm not expecting anything astonishing. I'm really looking forward to the F9, G410, and ST190. 

I had the opportunity to test the ST180 last year, and I think Mizuno makes a great club. But it thought me that there is such a thing as too little spin. So I might try the 190 out, but kinda expect it to be the wrong choice for me. 

Aside, I don't think it is the hype or promises that TM and C have used this year, I just haven't read or watched a review of their offerings that was all that positive compared to the other brands. Obviously the OG epic was awesome, TM M2 was awesome, but I don't feel like these two brands have done anything since. And if they have, their messaging has really missed the mark. 

I guess a better question I have is does anyone have the Epic Flash or TM 5/6 as their pre testing #1 want to hit? 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

I’m not a Callaway fan. I’ve tried their stuff on multiple occasions over the last 6-7 years and between, sound, feel, looks and in some cases performance wasn’t to my liking.

After talking to my fitter about m5 having the ball speed that was lacking in m3.  

I’ll be trying ts2/3, m5/6, g410, f9 and txg. Maybe Mizuno.

i feel like there’s enough hype around all the brands this year and regardless of the brand some people will see gains and others won’t,  there’s plenty of example around the Internet on both sides.

i think it’s a stretch to say any brand missed the hype train this year and it’s probably one of the few years where there really isn’t a brand missing out 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I wouldn’t avoid trying any brand (PXG excluded in previous years). I had a guy yesterday who picked up 15 yards with the Z585. We had a winner until I put the Epic Flash in his hands and it was 10-15 yards longer than the Srixon. Get fit and go with what works the best.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Today I tested the M6 and both Callaway Flash drivers.   If you are dismissing these brands,  you are going to be missing out.   It may not be your best driver,  but I was surprised at how well they performed.  Wish I could do a single day test across all the most wanted drivers.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I like Callaway drivers but the epic flash looks exactly like the original, and at $529 I’m not buying, and I buy a new club more than most outside of CG2 aka[mention=68812]golfspy[/mention] Rob. TaylorMade lost me a long time ago. I liked the original SLDR and the R9 and R11. The cobra is awesome and I would have pulled the trigger had it beat out my TS3.

Since I just spent the last 2 years refitting my entire bag I am done for quite some time even looking at new clubs.  The only club I am pondering at the moment is the putter, which is always a work in progress.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I went out and hit the Epic Flash today, really solid driver. Hit it back and forth with my G400 Max. I liked it better than the Epic, and guessing it will sell better than the rogue having the weights back on it. 

I never thought it was going to be bad. Just thought it was odd (or refreshing) that the Big C and TM didn't have the drivers out getting the most attention. 

WITB:

On 2/5/2019 at 1:31 AM, djahubes said:

I like Callaway drivers but the epic flash looks exactly like the original, and at $529 I’m not buying, and I buy a new club more than most outside of CG2 aka[mention=68812]golfspy[/mention] Rob. TaylorMade lost me a long time ago. I liked the original SLDR and the R9 and R11. The cobra emoji216.png is awesome and I would have pulled the trigger had it beat out my TS3.

Actually the Flash looks nothing like the original at address, at least in the SZ model.  Performance wise they are not that far apart and had I not had an unfortunate incident with my Epic SZ I would not have even given the Flash SZ a second thought.

I have the fortune of hitting the F9, G410, PXG Gen 2, TS3, TS2, Epic Flash SZ, Epic Flash, R5 and R6 so far this year and I can honestly say that there was not one of the bunch that was really any better or any worse than any of the others.  None were certainly $500 better than what I was playing.   

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I like the alignment of the m5/m6 but not sure if I like the price though I’d be willing to hit it. Same with the flash but ironically the only driver I’ve gotten along with is the XR16 pro. That was a fantastic driver.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I couldn’t begin to explore the method behind product release timing. Scroll the board and you’ll see...

Cobra was premature with their release

Wilson should have timed Driver v Driver later

PING can’t release a driver close enough to the g400 LST

Callaway peaked with Rogue

Titleist released too early but their Tour usage is back to a near historic high.

Lynx....just kidding

Truth is it’s a crap shoot. I’m in love with my driver so I’ll be interested to read what everyone says about this years release when the snow melts up here.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Phil went 14/14 fairways on Thursday. If that’s notnhype enough for a club, I’m not sure what is. Everyone I’ve heard talking about Epic flash says it’s very Long. Much longer than anything they’ve hit. I’ve also heard the F9 is very good as well. I think the not trying something form any company nowadays is a bad move. All of them are putting out good drivers. Not hitting something now may cost you. I say hit them all and the choose. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

34 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Phil went 14/14 fairways on Thursday. If that’s notnhype enough for a club, I’m not sure what is. Everyone I’ve heard talking about Epic flash says it’s very Long. Much longer than anything they’ve hit. I’ve also heard the F9 is very good as well. I think the not trying something form any company nowadays is a bad move. All of them are putting out good drivers. Not hitting something now may cost you. I say hit them all and the choose. 

Phil is not playing the flash. He had it in the bag for the first time at Waste Management and missed the cut and had a bad case of the lefts in round 2.

hes back to using the rogue again

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried all the new drivers (except the G4100) with Trackman. My numbers were about the same for all them except the Titleist TS 3. I had about 10 yards more distance with good dispersion.  I know this is not scientific but it was what worked for me.  I added a Ventus shaft and have hit some bombs (for me).

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

On 2/7/2019 at 5:24 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

I like the alignment of the m5/m6 but not sure if I like the price though I’d be willing to hit it. Same with the flash but ironically the only driver I’ve gotten along with is the XR16 pro. That was a fantastic driver.

If you come down to CP pretty soon this spring you may pick up a M6 from our Super on a good deal.  He tired it and liked it, but for $hits and Giggles he took the shaft out of it and put it in his M3 and is killing the M3 now.  I don't  know if he's going to go back to the M6. 😁

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

If you come down to CP pretty soon this spring you may pick up a M6 from our Super on a good deal.  He tired it and liked it, but for $hits and Giggles he took the shaft out of it and put it in his M3 and is killing the M3 now.  I don't  know if he's going to go back to the M6. 

Haha. I may go hit it just for fun now lol. Plan on getting fit soon to find out my iron specs. And also have been looking st 5.5 or 6m Scotty’s haha. This spring is going to be $$$

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

• 2 weeks later...

I hit almost every manufacturer in 2017 during a fitting @ club champion. Callaway and TM blew the rest away for me. PXG was my least favorite.
Callaway(Epic at the time) gave me the best numbers but only marginally over the M1 I was playing at the time.
I really liked the Cobra but numbers didn't support that. Same with Mizuno. I do enjoy the look of carbon fiber but aside from that I go with what the numbers tell me is best. No really brand loyalty. That said, I purchased an M3 this year due to it's price. They can be found in mint condition on eBay right now for a good bit under $200. I hit the rouge really well too but they still pull around $250-300.

Looking back I still really miss my ZL Encore. That was a phenomenal driver and I still kick myself for trading it in towards the M1 when it came out in 2016.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Driver: Taylormade M3 440cc 9* 45.25" Diamana D+ 70 x-flex

3w - Taylormade RBZ stage 2 tour 14.5* Fujikura 70 s-flex std length

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 850 s-flex std length. 

Irons: Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 4-PW. Project X 6.5 flighted shafts ⅜" gapping. 39.25" 5 iron 2* upright

Wedges- Titlist Vokey SM6 51*, 55*, 59* 2* upright

Putter - Machine M10 adjuster, no sight line. 35.5"

got to hit the M5/M6 and loved them. Added like 20-30yds. need to try them again to confirm #'s but was quite impressed. THough im hitting a R1 now so the tech is a bit old. I've heard the M1 may be the way to go though; sees similar #'s.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

got to hit the M5/M6 and loved them. Added like 20-30yds. need to try them again to confirm #'s but was quite impressed. THough im hitting a R1 now so the tech is a bit old. I've heard the M1 may be the way to go though; sees similar #'s.
The M3 gave me good numbers too. I like the sound of the M3 over the M1. I haven't hit an M5 yet to compare. The M3 is more muted than the M1, which is fairly loud. And you can get them cheap!
That said, the matte finish on the M5/M6 looks awesome.

Driver: Taylormade M3 440cc 9* 45.25" Diamana D+ 70 x-flex

3w - Taylormade RBZ stage 2 tour 14.5* Fujikura 70 s-flex std length

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX 850 s-flex std length. 

Irons: Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 4-PW. Project X 6.5 flighted shafts ⅜" gapping. 39.25" 5 iron 2* upright

Wedges- Titlist Vokey SM6 51*, 55*, 59* 2* upright

Putter - Machine M10 adjuster, no sight line. 35.5"

32 minutes ago, Stephen1125 said:

The M3 gave me good numbers too. I like the sound of the M3 over the M1. I haven't hit an M5 yet to compare. The M3 is more muted than the M1, which is fairly loud. And you can get them cheap!
That said, the matte finish on the M5/M6 looks awesome.

That would be IDEAL if i could find all 3 in one place. Maybe if i can get up to a PGA superstore somewhere they might have a few lefties!

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Archived