Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

One driver shaft isn’t necessarily the best for EVERY head

PMookie

I just finished watching the latest TXG video for the Mizuno ST190 fitting. Last week they “wowed us” with the Cobra F9 that Matt hit over 360. But one thing hit me today that I thought I’d share: Matt hasn’t been using just ONE shaft for getting the best results.

If we go back to last year, his best combo was the TPT shaft in a Ping head. So far, this year, the Fujikura Pro 2.0 was the best shaft for him in the Cobra F9, and now the Raijin shaft was the best fit over the Accra he starts with for the ST 190. The TPT wasn’t as good in either of these two heads. It could be later in something else, but not lately.

The point here is don’t get stuck thinking that just because a certain shaft works in your current gamer, it will work in something else just as good! A Diamana D+ 70X was magic for me in a Callaway driver I had, but it didn’t work for the next two. I LOVE my Veylix Rome 688 X in my G400 Max, but it might not get me my best numbers in a PXG Gen 2, the F9, or ST 190.

Don’t just buy a head and keep going back to a shaft that worked before. Heads are different! They all MIGHT need a little difference in a shaft to really give you your best results. Be open to new options!!!

Here’s the link to the ST190 fitting:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I agree that not one shaft works in every head.  When I got fit last year that was defiantly the case.  You need to know what works with each club head. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I absolutely agree (and I watched the F9 video as well - guy killed it!!!) I've confirmed this in my own testing. I previously gamed a Nike Vapor Pro w/ Aldila RIP Alpha and had a lot of success with it. When I swapped for the G25 because I didn't think I was getting good ball speed across the face, I picked up the same shaft to try against the stock TFC 189. The RIP paired with the G25 just spins too low for my current club speed and falls out of the air at any loft. I average 10-15 yards more using the stock shaft compared to RIP. Whereas, I was probably 10-15 yards longer with the RIP in the Nike head compared to the Diamana S+ that came with it.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I found this out switching between Callaway heads. I had a HZRDUS Yellow in my XR16 Pro driver. Hit that driver well, but when I switched to an Epic and Epic SZ head, both of those paired with the HZRDUS Yellow performed horribly. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Absolutely right -

Which also begs the question - 2 different expert fitters might put a player into different equipment because they take differing approaches to help mitigate his swing faults. Each fit may work.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This is a fascinating realization.  Does this mean that everytime you are purchasing a club, you should go through a complete fitting for that club to find the optimal combination?

I guess if you're able and willing to chase the latest club, you should also chase the optimal combination.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

19 minutes ago, palvord said:

This is a fascinating realization.  Does this mean that everytime you are purchasing a club, you should go through a complete fitting for that club to find the optimal combination?

I guess if you're able and willing to chase the latest club, you should also chase the optimal combination.

Why wouldn’t someone go thru a fitting every time? One usually test drives a car everytime they buy even if from the same model class.

With headweights being different from release to release, a persons swing changing and so on. New shaft offerings could open up opportunities to improve when paired with heads.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Absolutely right -

Which also begs the question - 2 different expert fitters might put a player into different equipment because they take differing approaches to help mitigate his swing faults. Each fit may work.

That is a GREAT point!!!

Have often wondered that myself. And do you then get a third fitting to test Fit #1 vs Fit #2 against each other.....? (..rhetorical question, really .. if you've been through two fittings and still don't trust the results .. hmmmmm...)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

That is a GREAT point!!!

Have often wondered that myself. And do you then get a third fitting to test Fit #1 vs Fit #2 against each other.....? (..rhetorical question, really .. if you've been through two fittings and still don't trust the results .. hmmmmm...)

What would be the reason for going to two different fitters for the same club. Most amateurs swings change from swing to swing and day to day. What if third fitter put you in something different do you go to a 4th?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

100% correct. It is such a mesh between the correct clubhead (settings), and shaft. Like many have said they have had one combo work great, then change one variable and it was horrid. Always go get fit!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Why wouldn’t someone go thru a fitting every time? One usually test drives a car everytime they buy even if from the same model class.
With headweights being different from release to release, a persons swing changing and so on. New shaft offerings could open up opportunities to improve when paired with heads.

That’s an excellent point with the comparison of test driving a car each time. Since I change my driver as often as my car, this method would work well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Archived