TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge/iron preference: carbon steel or BeCu?

Moecat

Looks like with the new groove rules, the old Ping Eye2 has new-found popularity.

This got me thinking about whether any of you actually miss the days when BeCu irons/wedges were being made, or if current technology has really made up for the soft feel of copper?

Looks like with the new groove rules, the old Ping Eye2 has new-found popularity.

This got me thinking about whether any of you actually miss the days when BeCu irons/wedges were being made, or if current technology has really made up for the soft feel of copper?

Well. Funny you should ask. A buddy of mine just picked up a set of those BeCu PING iron and whoa... They are soft. "U"gly as all can be. But seriously great feel and really forgiving. It'd be nice to see more new sets in BeCu. Just imagine a BeCu set of i15's. I'd buy a set.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

Wasn't BeCu irons halted because of health concerns?

I am not entirely sure but I think I read that somewhere.

I don't think it was related to any health concerns, rather it was deem a hazadrdous material by the EPA. Having a set of clubs made of BeCu did'nt harm anyone through contact.

As for the softness issue, it's a myth. Acoording to the Solheims, the hardness factor of both BeCu and Stainless Steel used to make Ping Eye 2 clubs, are exactly the same. The difference is the sound the clubs maked when impact occurs. John Solheim says it is a more muted sound, which through testing, golfers equate as being softer translated through feel.

I don't think it was related to any health concerns, rather it was deem a hazadrdous material by the EPA. Having a set of clubs made of BeCu did'nt harm anyone through contact.

As for the softness issue, it's a myth. Acoording to the Solheims, the hardness factor of both BeCu and Stainless Steel used to make Ping Eye 2 clubs, are exactly the same. The difference is the sound the clubs maked when impact occurs. John Solheim says it is a more muted sound, which through testing, golfers equate as being softer translated through feel.

Yes, we translate "feel" through sound. I don't think anyone can really discern the hardness of two different types of metal, considering that you're making contact with clubhead via the grip, shaft and possible insert through the shaft. It's the sound that makes us go either... "Whoa... or YUCK".

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

Yes, we translate "feel" through sound.

That is so true. I used to work golf retail and when a customer would tell me "This club feels hard!", I would give them ear ear plugs. And after a couple of hits, the "feels hard" arguement was resolved.

Kevin

I prefer carbon steel if nothing else because Ping won't adjust the BeCU wedges and I always need upright lie angles. Finding the right "dot" can sometimes be a challenge.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Copper in a putter is amazing, but I also think that this is a feel/tone signature. Definitely EPA issue with the manufacturing. At work we have to bottle all of our copper containing reagents and hazmat them. No matter the concentration.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Played Copper Eye 2's for a little while and Copper Cleveland 588's for a LONG time. Love the feel/ sound of them. They had great spin as well. Biggest problem I had is that they tended to be heavier in the wedges... That said I thought my Eye 2's felt lighter in copper then Stainless. Maybe it was the Microstep shaft they put in those. I always thought that was interesting that they put a different shaft in the copper Ping's vs the Stainless. Anyone have the story on that?

Specs

KWheels 

I still have a BeCu 588 Cleveland wedge that I use. But I prefer carbon steel.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

BeCu was not hazardous to the golfers who used them but was hazardous to the workers who ground them. I still have my old Eye 2's of lawsuit fame but have since bagged newer clubs. The old eye 2's still feel as smooth as ever, they just seem so old these days, though I probably look older.

Shambles

I like a forged carbon steel wedge.

I did pick up one of those Ping BeCu LW a few yrs ago....got it for $40. I just got it because I knew they had quit making them....never even put it in play.

My understanding was that Karsten used BeCu because it was heavier, and he could achieve the correct swingweights with the shafts that he was using at the time...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

My understanding was that Karsten used BeCu because it was heavier, and he could achieve the correct swingweights with the shafts that he was using at the time...

Probably for looks too though. They are stunning.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That's what I have heard too. The looks were just a plus.

I like how my old Cleveland Wedge 588 works

But right now, I loved my New Carbon Steel wedges

Golf is the Art of Recovery Shot,

Butz

------

Driver: Diablo 9*/ HyperX 9.5*/ SuperQuad 9.5

Fw: CGB 3w/ NVG2 3w/ CGB max 5w

Hybrid: Mactec UT3/ Raylor 22*

Irons: X20 Tour 4 ~Pw Px5.5 FL / R7 XD 4i ~Pw

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 52*/ Pride 52*/ Callaway X-Forge 58*/ Cg12 58*

Putter: Rife 2bar Mallet / Yes Hanna ....center shaft

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I have heard too. The looks were just a plus.

Much more than just a plus. The metal aged gracefully. You would develop a nice very slightly shinier area where you habitually contacted the ball and I think it stayed a different shade even long after you stopped using the club. The tumble finish stainless clubs stayed essentially markless even after heavy use. You needed to take a very close look or know what to look for to identify the clubs that had been heavily used.

Shambles

Archived