TESTERS WANTED! ×

Death of the Two-Person Cart

DannyDips

https://mygolfspy.com/the-two-person-golf-cart-needs-to-die/

I have seen this topic on MGS a lot in the past couple weeks and there is already a ton of comments on the blog. 

I don't see courses switching to full fleets of single rider carts unless there is a profit advantage. Perhaps shortening the rounds can get more people on the course and raise revenue. I could see courses purchasing/leasing a handful of these type carts for singles, threesomes and millennial golfers. 

Has MGS tested how much quicker a foursome with their own carts would be? I'd really like to see the data on how much quicker 4 carts vs 2 carts would make a foursome. Maybe run the numbers and see how many more golfers a course could get though in a day if all the rounds were shorter. 

Thoughts?

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

Cost would be the biggest obstacle. It’s not like clubs could just get rid of an entire fleet of two-man carts. I see it as an issue for public courses more-so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm sure they'll be some interest somewhere for these. In our area they won't be popular at our courses because of several factors: Our carts are always occupied by 2 people - the marshals see to that. Cart "roofs" and windscreens protect us from typical Great Lakes weather elements - sun, wind and rain, note; our cart even has a cover and heater.  Then there are the numerous social aspects......

Do I see them being popular at resorts ...... of course! My prediction is that they will become the golf course version of the Segway vs. the replacement of the 2 person cart. 

Oh and this is written by an early technology adopter 😁

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I posted a comment in the blog yesterday about these "carts".  I liked the looks of one of them. The Ellwee I  think it was. At the time I wasn't thinking about any weather issues which in my area is the summer sun mostly. It's pretty intense and having a roof over your head makes a difference. Bigly. I also told of me and a guy driving our own carts without a passenger and how it sped up our round.

I think some form of these single rider carts have merit. I'm just not sure when and where. One of our local private clubs experimented with a few standing surfboard style carts somewhat recently. But it didn't go over and they sold them.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

One issue I can see with single-rider carts is for those days when carts are restricted to cart paths.  Those days always require a lot of walking, and tend to slow down.  With two riders, there is often at least one player on the side of the golf course nearest the cart.  The player on the far side can walk green-ward after his shot, while his cart-partner moves the cart forward.  With single-rider carts, anyone on the far side of the fairway from the path will be required to take that long walk back and forth, there's no way anyone will be able to move his cart onward.  Single rider carts will slow down play in these circumstances.

I know that these cart-path-only days aren't every day, and in some areas may be very rare, but this is one thing that should be considered before making a change.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

22 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

One issue I can see with single-rider carts is for those days when carts are restricted to cart paths.  Those days always require a lot of walking, and tend to slow down.  With two riders, there is often at least one player on the side of the golf course nearest the cart.  The player on the far side can walk green-ward after his shot, while his cart-partner moves the cart forward.  With single-rider carts, anyone on the far side of the fairway from the path will be required to take that long walk back and forth, there's no way anyone will be able to move his cart onward.  Single rider carts will slow down play in these circumstances.

I know that these cart-path-only days aren't every day, and in some areas may be very rare, but this is one thing that should be considered before making a change.  

I just played yesterday cart path only and had the same thought. Single carts wouldn't speed up the pace and as you say could lengthen the time. 

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

Looks like all I need is a set of lawn tires on my Honda Recon to join this latest craze.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Great point on the cart only days. In our neck of the woods - that would be all of March, quite a few days in the summer and then most likely all of October and part of November. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

So, you have two carts per foursome now.  You know what we do when one cart is in front of the other on cart path only days?  We drive around it just off of the path on the rough side of the cart path.

Gee!  What a novel concept.  I can come up with 100 ways people won't change from the two person cart too, if I think about it long enough.

First off, old guys out of shape aren't riding on a single person cart, or anything that requires any sort of physical ability.  Some of these guys can barely walk, let alone operate an alternative to the two-person cart.  I can tell you a story about one guy I used to be forced to play with in our group that was obese, (and I am being kind about that) who insisted on driving the cart all the way up to the fringe of the green, so he wouldn't have to walk more than 10 steps to putt.  Where his ball went, so did his cart.  One day we teed off on one of the holes and he dribbled one down the fairway about 50 yards.  He was so tired that he leaned out over the cart to pick up his ball and fell out of the cart, requiring the assistance of others to pick him up and put him back in the cart.  I am not exaggerating this story at all either.  I was hoping that dude would have gotten the hint and quit trying to play golf, but some guys don't get it.

Beyond that story, I've rented a golf board at one course and loved it.  I could zip around the course, and I actually felt it after 18 holes in my legs as you used your legs to steer the golf board.  Tons of fun, and I wish these were at every course I played at, but unfortunately no one is wanting these things.  It's a solo rider thing, and it is great to zip you around the golf course, and because it's much lighter than a regular cart, you don't have to worry too much about it making tracks in bad conditions like you get with a regular cart.   In fact, the golf course told me I could ride the golf board right up to the green if I wanted to.  So convenient, quick, and easy that it's a shame more people don't get on board with this thing.

But just like every other invention that has attempted to kill the golf cart, nothing seems to be able to defeat this thing.  But yeah, I think a lot of it has to do with the social aspect of things.  In a regular cart you are riding with your buddy and can have a conversation and whatever along the way.  That's a big part of the game to a lot of people, and I certainly get it.  But nothing is stopping you from having a conversation on something like a golf board.  Just ride them next to each other and talk.  Works the same way.  Some people just aren't willing to change.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

As I stated in the blog article, it won't happen at munis, at least not where I play. Too much liability.  Our carts get trashed.  It seems like one is always in for repairs during the summer.  I can only imagine what would happen with single rider carts when someone says: "Hold my beer!"

Unless you stay in (your own) fairway, most of these single rider carts would not be able to safely negotiate the mounds in the rough.  Many people hit balls into adjacent fairways, and the slopes getting to their ball could be hazardous, especially when wet from overnight irrigation.  I've seen near accidents in two-person carts when improperly negotiating these slopes.

OK, I can see that rounds would be faster if everyone used one. At my course, there are many rounds where people are paired up; 2 twosomes, a threesome and a single; a twosome and 2 singles, and not everyone rides in a cart.  Many foursomes are walkers with pushcarts.  Exactly how would a round be faster for a foursome on single rider carts when there are a dozens of walkers on the course??  

If I rode one of these single rider carts, I could see that I would be waiting more times than I already am, AND I would not have the social interaction between shots to keep my mind off the slow play.  Horrible!  I would rather have the slow but steady pace of play that I expect at a muni on the weekends than a "hurry up and wait" pace that for me is a round ruiner.  At that point I would probably end up being one of those players trying to see how much "air" I could get off one of those mounds.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

54 minutes ago, GSwag said:

So, you have two carts per foursome now.  You know what we do when one cart is in front of the other on cart path only days?  We drive around it just off of the path on the rough side of the cart path.

Gee!  What a novel concept.  I can come up with 100 ways people won't change from the two person cart too, if I think about it long enough.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what I said that you disagree with.  With single-user carts, on cart-path-only (CPO) days, every player HAS to walk back to the cart path before he progresses towards the green.  With two-person carts, one player can be moving that cart toward the green while a "far-sided" player walks in the same direction, instead of walking back to the cart to move it.  On these days, single player carts have the potential to be slower than two-person carts.  When you can drive to your ball, single player carts should be expected to be faster.  I only suggested that a course should consider the slower CPO days as well as the faster "drive anywhere" days when they make their decisions.  The course would be foolish NOT to consider all potential effects of a decision, positive and negative, before they actually make the decision.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

If I'm playing as a single, I wouldn't mind it.  I prefer the two man carts when playing with a group because part of what is enjoyable in golf to me is the fellowship with buddies.  Those moments wouldn't be as nice if you weren't riding together.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

The biggest issue aside from cost like others have mentioned, is the older generation IMO. I can't imagine gramps hopping on a golf bike and ripping it down the fairway, but maybe I'm wrong. I'd hate to see an entire generation of golfers get the shaft (pun!) because of this.

Also, I heard somewhere that courses have to replace their carts every x years? Anyone who work at a course that can confirm that? Maybe @Golfspy_CG2?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

12 minutes ago, yungkory said:

The biggest issue aside from cost like others have mentioned, is the older generation IMO. I can't imagine gramps hopping on a golf bike and ripping it down the fairway, but maybe I'm wrong. I'd hate to see an entire generation of golfers get the shaft (pun!) because of this.

Also, I heard somewhere that courses have to replace their carts every x years? Anyone who work at a course that can confirm that? Maybe @Golfspy_CG2?

Our muni has a 3 year lease with Yamaha.  We get new carts in the spring!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Ah, maybe it was a case of the "telephone" game, and the lease part was left out. Personally, I'd love a golf board since I grew up skating/surfing. Combining two of my favorite things would be some epic levels of fun

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm afraid I'm not sure what I said that you disagree with.  With single-user carts, on cart-path-only (CPO) days, every player HAS to walk back to the cart path before he progresses towards the green.  With two-person carts, one player can be moving that cart toward the green while a "far-sided" player walks in the same direction, instead of walking back to the cart to move it.  On these days, single player carts have the potential to be slower than two-person carts.  When you can drive to your ball, single player carts should be expected to be faster.  I only suggested that a course should consider the slower CPO days as well as the faster "drive anywhere" days when they make their decisions.  The course would be foolish NOT to consider all potential effects of a decision, positive and negative, before they actually make the decision.

I've wondered about this as well.  I've also wondered about the weight of single person conveyances - perhaps they are light enough that they won't create as many "cart path only" days.  Maybe they are no different from a pullcart? 

That's a sincere question.

I'm also concerned about the social aspect of the game.  I rarely ever road a cart until I moved to Florida 13 years ago - the only reason that I would ride in one before that was in a scramble or to socialize.  I don't know what the individual cart will do for that important element of the game - perhaps nothing but it's another consideration.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

32 minutes ago, yungkory said:

A lot of courses have lease agreements for their carts. I would think this is pretty common practice as it's far more cost effective than purchasing carts, and having to maintain and replace them outright.

I know a lot of people seem to be taking a pretty strong stance against the removal of two-seater carts and the way MGS articles have approached it don't seem to help. That is to say, everyone makes it sound like this is supposed to be some overnight switch and it simply can't/won't work that way. Odds are we may never see the day when two-seaters no longer exist. I do think there is a definite place for them. However, I don't think the social aspect is a particularly strong argument. Sure, I converse with my buddies when we share the same cart, but we also have plenty of conversation on the tee box, on the green, when we have to wait for a slower group, and any time in-between that allows for chit-chat. Not a huge deal in my mind.

I think the best argument that has been made is the cart path only argument suggest by @DaveP043. That's the only time I see a true disadvantage of a one-person cart. And speaking of wet conditions, weather is certainly a factor, but not one that can't be overcome. Besides, how much does the average cart really protect you from the elements other than offering shade in the summer? Cart covers are an add-on accessory and would likely be something offered for one-person carts as well. 

I don't know. I see both side, but I'm definitely leaning toward single golfer carts. Someone commented on the article about the OneWheel and it's definitely piqued my interest more than anything else. It wouldn't be for everyone, but a modified version that offers more stability and traction in wet grass (apparently that's an issue from the research I've done) could be a relatively low cost solution for those who see value in it. BTW, I do mean relative cost - $1200+ is still a lot of money to spend on what basically amounts to a motorized skateboard, but is much cheaper than the average cart.

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, yungkory said:

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Yep, 3 year lease is most common.  We have a fleet of 150 carts (36 holes) and when you are doing 60,000 plus rounds a year, on municipal "maintained" cart parts, they take a beating...ha

I don't see an all at once conversion from 2 person carts to 1 person carts.  I think it will happen slowly over time.   Like bringing in half a dozen to a dozen single ride vehicles of some type...(not the golfboard)  and see how they go test out what issues happen, what the concerns are, what the advantages are then weigh going forward with more and more a bit at time.    I suspect there will always be some 2 person carts and maybe it never gets to be more than 50/50 who know.

But I have to think there was a day when the first gas carts showed up for the very first time, that some golfers thought, "What the hell.  There bringing cars onto a golf course"    LOL

As to Golfboards.  Our courses have tried them on a demo basis.  They are a novelty that people tire of very quickly.   We found people might try it once and then never again.   The novelty quickly wears off after 5 or 6 holes for most people.   And they are taxing.  You have to be in very good shape to ride one for 18 holes, your legs get a workout. 

As for the other options, I had a demo of a PHAT scooter on course, and the kick stands aren't as bad as most people think.   The put very little pressure on the grass as the weight of the scooter is lifted.   And once you've done it a few times it's pretty instinctive.   And these can be used a lot more liberally off the path than a 4 wheel golf cart can be.  So CPO days for these would be fewer.

Just some thoughts.  it's a conversation that will take on more of a life each year as more and more companies enter into this market and sooner or later, I think there's going to be  Wow!! Moment where someone comes out with the option that is nearly perfect in all regards. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

There is a place for both and my previous comments are related to the courses I belong to or play.

The theme of the original blog article was the death of the 2 person cart. After reading of the comments here, i still don't think it'll go away. Is there a place for the 2 wheeler of course - just like there is for the push cart or electric remote control cart.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I have a cart to drive to the course and range but strictly walk my round. I enjoy walking and will continue to do so, but I’ll admit, the motorcycle style carts in the blog look like fun. And since my wife won’t let me have a motorcycle until the kids graduate college, maybe this is my alternative .

Seriously though, I think some of these could be a viable option. While not for everyone they could help with pace of play if used in conjunction with traditional carts, larger gaps in tee times, Marshalls that enforce pace of play and triple bogey max per hole scoring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

The range of most of those single rider carts isn't specified, but I would suspect that they would last 36 holes; probably not 54 holes, but that would depend on environmental and terrain conditions.  Maybe when the big cart guys get into this models, the range will go up.  I would think that to be cost effective, a golf course would need them to last 3 rounds.  Maybe Elon Musk will make one.  😉

17 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The range of most of those single rider carts isn't specified, but I would suspect that they would last 36 holes; probably not 54 holes, but that would depend on environmental and terrain conditions.  Maybe when the big cart guys get into this models, the range will go up.  I would think that to be cost effective, a golf course would need them to last 3 rounds.  Maybe Elon Musk will make one.  😉

Then we could all get our orders fulfilled by 2089!  

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Most that I have spoken to said they would last 36 holes or roughly 10 hours.   Most electric carts now last barely 36 holes.  

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Most that I have spoken to said they would last 36 holes or roughly 10 hours.   Most electric carts now last barely 36 holes.  

Three years ago last Oct, I joined this muni.  Some of the carts couldn't make 18 holes; I had to call the clubhouse an have them run a cart out for me.  In the spring they leased new Yamaha carts, and we get new ones again next month.  I haven't had any battery issues with any cart this year.  Maybe the batteries are better these days than 6 years ago when they got the last fleet.  In the summer a cart will make 54 holes on a Sat or Sun.  I don't know if they put it on the charger for awhile before sending it out again though.

Our fleet consists of 65 carts; #1 - #54 carts are electric; #55 - #65 are gas.  I've never liked gas carts, unless I'm playing a hilly course!

I'm not saying we won't see some sort of change or trend toward individual vehicles, but as I see the problem isn't the type of vehicle that's being used on golf courses, it's the type of person driving them on golf courses.

(be warned this next part includes a lot of stereotypes)

It's the pair of retired old guys who paid their money and will take as much damn time as they want on the course.  It's the bachelor party guys who brought a keg and think a golf cart is a 4-wheeler, it's the group of 16 year olds that rented a cart for the first time and want to drive it EVERYWHERE, it's the 2 guys that decided golf might be fun and absolutely no idea what they are doing, it's the aspiring PGA pro who shoots 100 but takes 5 solid minutes deciding what club to hit and what shot to play before having to walk back to the cart and grab a different club.

Basically it's a choice of educating golfers on proper driving etiquette (how to drop someone off, drive over to a different ball and hit, and then pick up the first person after they've hit) vs forcing them to behave properly by not giving them the option to ride together.

I don't know what the correct answer is, but having a fleet of single rider carts is not the end all be all fix for pace of play issues.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

26 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

I'm not saying we won't see some sort of change or trend toward individual vehicles, but as I see the problem isn't the type of vehicle that's being used on golf courses, it's the type of person driving them on golf courses.

(be warned this next part includes a lot of stereotypes)

It's the pair of retired old guys who paid their money and will take as much damn time as they want on the course.  It's the bachelor party guys who brought a keg and think a golf cart is a 4-wheeler, it's the group of 16 year olds that rented a cart for the first time and want to drive it EVERYWHERE, it's the 2 guys that decided golf might be fun and absolutely no idea what they are doing, it's the aspiring PGA pro who shoots 100 but takes 5 solid minutes deciding what club to hit and what shot to play before having to walk back to the cart and grab a different club.

Basically it's a choice of educating golfers on proper driving etiquette (how to drop someone off, drive over to a different ball and hit, and then pick up the first person after they've hit) vs forcing them to behave properly by not giving them the option to ride together.

I don't know what the correct answer is, but having a fleet of single rider carts is not the end all be all fix for pace of play issues.

As a course employee.  I cringe everytime I see those YouTube stunt car videos.   

I can only imagine what they would do on some of these bikes or four wheeler type cards. 😮

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Maybe the batteries are better these days than 6 years ago when they got the last fleet.

I work in the battery business and battery technology has definitely improved in the past 6 years - both in terms of cost and in performance. 😉 

Economic considerations aside,

and I believe that they should be put aside far more often than they are, 

individual carts sound like a great idea to me. 

I would have loved to have played with an individual motor cart. It would definitely speed up the game.

Poor etiquette and playing in proper order are often blamed for slow play, but my personal experience is that the biggest causes are unskilled play and walking.  Individual carts would be a huge improvement over shared ones, never mind walking.

53 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Economic considerations aside,

and I believe that they should be put aside far more often than they are, 

individual carts sound like a great idea to me. 

I would have loved to have played with an individual motor cart. It would definitely speed up the game.

Poor etiquette and playing in proper order are often blamed for slow play, but my personal experience is that the biggest causes are unskilled play and walking.  Individual carts would be a huge improvement over shared ones, never mind walking.

I think you'll get a lot of pushback when you blame slow play on walking.  I think there are slow players who walk, but lots of slow players ride all the time too.  I blame slow play on slow players, whether they walk slowly, aren't prepared when their turn comes up, take too long to become prepared, or whatever reason.  I don't know that individual carts would definitely speed play, as compared to PROPER USE of two-ride carts, but they could.  However, unless everyone uses a solo cart, there's a limit to how much time can be gained.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Individual carts would be a huge improvement over shared ones, never mind walking.

I've had to play through groups (riding) while walking with a push cart.  We're not all slow - though some certainly are.