edingc

DIY Overspeed Training Sticks - Photos and Materials List

What a great DIY project! Thanks for passing along the material list and photos.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I found my notes on the number of washers required to reach the necessary weights:

Green - 10 Washers

Blue - 13 Washers

Red - 17 Washers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clafoone said:

Sweet! Thank you. At 82 mph, I can use the helpemoji41.png

Randy

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Good luck!

As a follow up, I've used both sets of sticks multiple times so far with no issues. 

Any reason why you wouldn't want to use a shaft that has a connector already glued on? That way you can screw the washers directly into the connector. Just asking because I have a shaft that I'll probably never use that has a connector glued on.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 6:58 PM, tony@CIC said:

Any reason why you wouldn't want to use a shaft that has a connector already glued on? That way you can screw the washers directly into the connector. Just asking because I have a shaft that I'll probably never use that has a connector glued on.

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier.

I think that would be the ideal way to go. If I did it again, I'm pretty sure that's what I would do. Seems easier than working with a bunch of epoxy.

On the flip side, you would likely need to cut the shafts from the butt end to make the 45" length. These Adams shafts were 45" stock, so I didn't need any additional butt trimming to match the SuperSpeed length.

Very cool idea and seems like good workmanship on them.  Have you found that you are using them on a regular basis?  Do they seem fairly stable and like they will last?

The first thing I thought about when I saw superspeed was doing something like this.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Very cool idea and seems like good workmanship on them.  Have you found that you are using them on a regular basis?  Do they seem fairly stable and like they will last?

The first thing I thought about when I saw superspeed was doing something like this.

Thanks! I was very happy with how they turned out, and I was finally able to deliver the set I made for my brother-in-law to him this past weekend.

I have been doing the introductory protocol every other day now for almost a month, except for last week when I was away on a business trip. I have eight sessions remaining in the introductory protocol after yesterday's training. I did take them with me on the business trip because there was a heated range near my hotel. I used them for warming up, basically just taking five swings from light to heaviest, and then three light swings, before hitting balls.

I unfortunately have a slightly strained muscle in my mid-left back, which while it doesn't effect my normal right-handed swings, really hurts during the left-handed swings. I am going to give it a few more days of rest before continuing. 

I did order the suggested radar, which I accidentally smashed with one of the sticks two weeks ago. A new screen for it should be here any day. I highly suggest the radar because, as they say, "Feel ain't real." Before I smashed the radar, I had seen awesome progress in numbers, which I outlined in the review thread about them.

As far as construction/long-term stability goes -- I haven't had one break yet. I have bounced a few swings off of the garage floor, one of which took off a good bit of Plasti-dip and created a nice set of sparks. They still feel really solid. Obviously, the disclaimer here is that I'm not responsible for any injuries or damage! 😂

(In all seriousness, SuperSpeed recommends doing the protocol in a safe space with clubs not swinging toward people or other objects. I remove the cars from the garage, close the door and swing away from windows and other breakable objects, just in case.)

• Like 2

Just an FYI...  the standard weights are as follows:

Light (green) 255 grams

Medium (blue) 290 grams

Heavy (red) 335 grams

You can buy club fitter tip weights that screw on from Club Scout in 255 and 454 gram.  You can add lead tape to the 255 to bring the weight up where you want it.  You could also epoxy these to the shaft to avoid them getting loose and flying off.  

new_tip_weight.JPG

• Like 3

Edingc,
Thanks for the inspiration.
I had some 1" steel rod left over from a project.
I got the shafts from DTG also.

Thanks again,

RandySpeedstx(1).jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Some of you guys have some time on your hands. I could use some help putting grips on about 300 clubs. 2 beers an hour, 3 if your over 250lbs 🙂

Nice looking work folks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/8/2019 at 3:53 PM, clafoone said:

Edingc,
Thanks for the inspiration.
I had some 1" steel rod left over from a project.
I got the shafts from DTG also.

Thanks again,

RandySpeedstx(1).jpeg

Those look fantastic! I'm jealous.

16 minutes ago, 10shot said:

Some of you guys have some time on your hands. I could use some help putting grips on about 300 clubs. 2 beers an hour, 3 if your over 250lbs 🙂

Nice looking work folks.

Let me assure you, despite my pictures, this took me a few weeks. Where can I sign up for this beer?!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just an FYI...  the standard weights are as follows:
Light (green) 255 grams
Medium (blue) 290 grams
Heavy (red) 335 grams

You can buy club fitter tip weights that screw on from Club Scout in 255 and 454 gram.  You can add lead tape to the 255 to bring the weight up where you want it.  You could also epoxy these to the shaft to avoid them getting loose and flying off.  
new_tip_weight.JPG

Hi ga_pike,
I understood the total weight of each stick was 255/290/335 grams?

Randy

I'm not going to be able to get $200 approved by the banker/wife, especially with the second baby on the way, so I'm giving this DIY a shot. I'll keep y'all posted but I'm excited about having a project this weekend that doesn't involve mitre saws, heavy sanding, paint or shovels.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Very interesting edingc, good looking work.  Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

These all look great. I am actually working on a set of my own as well.

*my $0.02 to help reduce costing for everyone. I picked up used golf clubs at Goodwill ($2.99ea) and cut the driver head off. Trying to set my club up to interchange weights so i do not have 3 sticks. I also couldn't find 3 used drivers at Goodwill...