TESTERS WANTED! ×

Genesis Open

Shankster

http://read.nxtbook.com/global_golf_post/global_golf_post/20190218/fairholm_col.html

An interesting article about the slow play issue at Genesis, and specifically with JB Holmes.

I find it interesting here that we aren't congratulating the winner of this tournament, but are doing nothing but talking about his pace of play.  And I think that is completely appropriate.

Ultimately, until the PGA Tour starts enforcing it's pace of play policy we'll all be stuck watching 5 1/2 hour rounds in tournaments.

And perhaps if the pace of play continues to be a problem, one way that the Tour is fixing the problem is by reducing the size of fields, like going from 144 players this year to 120 players next year at Genesis.  I guess that's a round about way of the Tour saying, "Fine, you guys want to play that slow?  No problem, but you'll have fewer opportunities to do it."

When enough players raise the issue enough, and the powers that be have a financial incentive to enforce the policy, then things will change.  Until then, JB Holmes continues to give the middle finger to the PGA Tour, and to his fellow players and takes as much time as he wants to to hit a shot.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I didn't get to watch the end either, but read about JB's slow play this morning. He was also called out by the broadcast team at one point for failing to do any green reading prior to his turn - as in he did the full walk around and pre-shot routine only after JT had finished putting on one particular hole (which I did see in real-time). I don't dislike JB, but I'm not a particular fan either and think it was unfortunate that JT's putter went cold once the wind picked up. That seemed to be a major issue for Tiger as well - that and fatigue. All things considered, the tournament was decently entertaining though difficult to follow at times due to all the delays and multiple rounds being played almost every day. I could only imagine how troubling it might have been for any casual golf fans or newbies that happened to tune in.

Yeah, I noted one of the broadcasters make mention that he did not do any, get ready to play, pre-shot routine from the fairway while waiting for JT to hit first.  To be honest, I really didn't think he played that slow and he was certainly faster on the green than he's been in recent years.  But, there's no reason players waiting to hit shouldn't be using that wait time to get ready.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Sponsorships and media aren’t going to complain because they are getting their money’s worth. If the tv coverage were to get cut back that’s lost money for the tour and the advertisers and media 

To an extent, I agree.  But if you factor in how difficult it has gotten for television to schedule programming immediately following these events, the narrative begins to change.  The programming that follows golf also relies on advertising which is getting preempted by the golf coverage continually running an hour beyond the television window.  Then factor in weather related issues like we experienced this week and CBS golf programming gets completely removed from the network. 

Imagine being an advertiser for the CBS coverage and having the final hour plus of the tournament play out on Golf Channel.  Golf Channel is in 79 million (or 68%), CBS is in 115 million (or 97%) of US households according to Nielsen.  Advertisers can't be happy paying for CBS audience advertising rates and getting Golf Channel.  

33 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The Tour takes its directives from the Player Advisory Council.  If the players wanted to eliminate slow play, they have absolute power to do so.  An interesting caveat, if sponsorship and television partners were to put the hammer down, slow play would change.  I'm listening to a podcast right now talking about Fred Ridley and The Masters getting the ball rolling on making that happen.

I specifically mentioned the sponsors because that's a comment Adam Scott has issued on multiple occasions now. In reality though, the only way sponsors will act is if they perceive slow play as a threat. For now, they seem to be content with ample amounts of air time.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

9 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I specifically mentioned the sponsors because that's a comment Adam Scott has issued on multiple occasions now. In reality though, the only way sponsors will act is if they perceive slow play as a threat. For now, they seem to be content with ample amounts of air time.

It's a threat when golf coverage eats into programming that follows golf.  60 Minutes has been inside the Top-20 of most watched TV programs for 40 years.  60 Minutes averages 11 million viewers per week.  Golf might get 11 million viewers twice a year if they are lucky.  In 2018, golf had 11 million viewers once for The Masters. 

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/major-golf-ratings-historical-masters-us-open-british-pga-championship-tiger-woods/

It's a bigger issue than you think for sponsorship.  Especially when golf coverage eats into more valuable programming.

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It's a threat when golf coverage eats into programming that follows golf.  60 Minutes has been inside the Top-20 of most watched TV programs for 40 years.  60 Minutes averages 11 million viewers per week.  Golf might get 11 million viewers twice a year if they are lucky.  In 2018, golf had 11 million viewers once for The Masters. 

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/major-golf-ratings-historical-masters-us-open-british-pga-championship-tiger-woods/

It's a bigger issue than you think for sponsorship.  Especially when golf coverage eats into more valuable programming.

While it might be an issue for the networks that are responsible for the programming, I'm not sure how it would be an issue for the sponsors. They aren't the ones who would be penalized for one program eating into another program's airtime - unless they discontinue the practice and start cutting golf coverage short. Golf as a sport probably suffers the most from coverage that cuts into other programming simply because it worsens the perception that golf requires an inordinate amount of time to participate in.

38 minutes ago, sixcat said:

To an extent, I agree.  But if you factor in how difficult it has gotten for television to schedule programming immediately following these events, the narrative begins to change.  The programming that follows golf also relies on advertising which is getting preempted by the golf coverage continually running an hour beyond the television window.  Then factor in weather related issues like we experienced this week and CBS golf programming gets completely removed from the network. 

Imagine being an advertiser for the CBS coverage and having the final hour plus of the tournament play out on Golf Channel.  Golf Channel is in 79 million (or 68%), CBS is in 115 million (or 97%) of US households according to Nielsen.  Advertisers can't be happy paying for CBS audience advertising rates and getting Golf Channel.  

That’s a rarity more than a norm. Weeks like this where weather impacts play are hard to predict.

if cbs is scheduling 4 hours and does the advertising based on 4 hours they don’t lose anything. Sport running over is nothing unusual. How many times does cbs golf coverage start late because the last 5 mins of an ncaa basketball game takes 20 mins to play. Or nfl games that go over and eat into the follow on prigramming.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, TR1PTIK said:

While it might be an issue for the networks that are responsible for the programming, I'm not sure how it would be an issue for the sponsors. They aren't the ones who would be penalized for one program eating into another program's airtime - unless they discontinue the practice and start cutting golf coverage short. Golf as a sport probably suffers the most from coverage that cuts into other programming simply because it worsens the perception that golf requires an inordinate amount of time to participate in.

But golf coverage was cut short yesterday.  The final hour plus of the tournament was on Golf Channel, not CBS.  GC is in 36 million fewer households!

Anyway, were going around in circles now!

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

But golf coverage was cut short yesterday.  The final hour plus of the tournament was on Golf Channel, not CBS.  GC is in 36 million fewer households!

Anyway, were going around in circles now!

Lol. Ok, I didn't get to see the end and didn't realize they had to move to GC for the last hour. When I left my house for dinner with my family, it was still airing on CBS. Like I said, in that scenario, it obviously would hurt the sponsors.

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s a rarity more than a norm. Weeks like this where weather impacts play are hard to predict.

if cbs is scheduling 4 hours and does the advertising based on 4 hours they don’t lose anything. Sport running over is nothing unusual. How many times does cbs golf coverage start late because the last 5 mins of an ncaa basketball game takes 20 mins to play. Or nfl games that go over and eat into the follow on prigramming.

Again, it isn't just about CBS or golf advertisers.  The programs that follow golf are the ones being preempted.  In a lot of cases, those programs have far more viewers than golf which makes them far more valuable than golf.  If an NFL game runs long, CBS gains because the NFL is the most watched TV show on 5 different networks.  Nothing they could put on after the NFL would matter as much as NFL advertising.  They can preempt 60 Minutes and nobody gets upset.  But when 60 Minutes (and their 11 million viewers) gets preempted for golf coverage (and their 4 million viewers) 60 Minutes is hurt because they have pissed off advertisers.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:17 PM, DannyDips said:

Yeah I'm not a big Rahm fan. He seems like Sergio on roids and that includes driving distance and roid rage... He's insanely talented but I don't like the childish antics. 

Bryson is on fire but in this field I'm not sure I see him coming out on top... even if the Air Density is constant... 

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

Just now, Glftips said:

Rham never blames himself when he misses a putt. He is still tamping down "spike marks" when he misses.

Just now, Glftips said:

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

Archived