TESTERS WANTED! ×

Feast Your Eyes on These Beauties

I want you guys/gals to take a look at three 4-woods I recently received from one of our forum members you all know; deejaid. I don't recall how our conversation started but I think it had to do with The First Tee program I've started here where I live. I do recall mentioning to deejaid that most if not all of our kids probably have never seen a golf club made out of Wood and that they'd flip and get a kick out of seeing one. Let alone actually hitting a real wood. deejaid said he'd send me one for the kids to try. Well, I thanked him and expected to get and old beater he had laying around. Boy was I wrong. 

Last week I received a box and inside were three Orlimar 4-woods deejaid had (professionally) refinished and returned to new condition. I was stunned!! deejaid had included three beautifully restored clubs in three different lengths to fit a variety of kids depending on their height. The persimmon heads look brand new. He installed new shafts, grips, and whipping. My photos barely do justice to how beautiful these clubs look. I contacted deejaid and told him, "I can't let the kids hit these." as they'd be scuffed up and ruined immediately. Then I had a thought. I'm going to have the sole plates engraved with our First Tee Chapter name and eventually present them to the kids as a special award for various achievements they've earned. Would that be cool or what?!! I think so and I think the kids will appreciate them as much as I do. Thanks again deejaid and thank you for your generosity. 

As a side note I've also learned from deejaid that he's started a business recently to restore old clubs like these and perhaps more importantly; to spark interest in once again playing clubs from days past. I'm certainly interested in perhaps putting a fairway "Wood" in my bag. I'm sure deejaid can tell all of us more about these types of clubs and how he does what he does and how they might just fit into our game. Be advised.... if you get one (and I think you should) you're going to want to show it off. Me? I'd like to get out there and actually play one. Anyone care to join me or deejaid?

IMG_20190209_140446075_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190209_140621956_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190209_140810346_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190209_141603149.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

11 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I want you guys/gals to take a look at three 4-woods I recently received from one of our forum members you all know; deejaid. I don't recall how our conversation started but I think it had to do with The First Tee program I've started here where I live. I do recall mentioning to deejaid that most if not all of our kids probably have never seen a golf club made out of Wood and that they'd flip and get a kick out of seeing one. Let alone actually hitting a real wood. deejaid said he'd send me one for the kids to try. Well, I thanked him and expected to get and old beater he had laying around. Boy was I wrong. 

Last week I received a box and inside were three Orlimar 4-woods deejaid had (professionally) refinished and returned to new condition. I was stunned!! deejaid had included three beautifully restored clubs in three different lengths to fit a variety of kids depending on their height. The persimmon heads look brand new. He installed new shafts, grips, and whipping. My photos barely do justice to how beautiful these clubs look. I contacted deejaid and told him, "I can't let the kids hit these." as they'd be scuffed up and ruined immediately. Then I had a thought. I'm going to have the sole plates engraved with our First Tee Chapter name and eventually present them to the kids as a special award for various achievements they've earned. Would that be cool or what?!! I think so and I think the kids will appreciate them as much as I do. Thanks again deejaid and thank you for your generosity. 

As a side note I've also learned from deejaid that he's started a business recently to restore old clubs like these and perhaps more importantly; to spark interest in once again playing clubs from days past. I'm certainly interested in perhaps putting a fairway "Wood" in my bag. I'm sure deejaid can tell all of us more about these types of clubs and how he does what he does and how they might just fit into our game. Be advised.... if you get one (and I think you should) you're going to want to show it off. Me? I'd like to get out there and actually play one. Anyone care to join me or deejaid?

IMG_20190209_140446075_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190209_140621956_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190209_140810346_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190209_141603149.jpg

Incredible! Give yourself some credit Plaid, these pics are awesome and your idea of what to use them for is tremendous! @deejaid is one hell of a guy with some serious talent that is displayed here in spades. This collaboration is a match made in heaven and is certainly another fine example of how our fine little community of golf geeks & junkies can positively impact not only us readers, but also be a showcase of generosity that nets (we hope) a continued interest in golf history, tradition & respect by those youngsters interested in this funny little game. I couldn't think of two finer ambassadors from our group to pull that off. Thank-you so much for sharing not only these pics, but also your intentions of what to do with them. Please keep us informed in the future of how those kids react to these-my vote would be to see them be able to hit a few with these to be honest, but I certainly respect whatever their fate is even if they are to be wall-hangers. Either case, consider me #blownaway...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Thank you for the kind words fellas. It really appreciate it. I’ve spoke to both of you through PM and enjoyed talking to you both.

I just want to clarify a bit. The clubs I sent Plaid I did not restore. Those are brand new, all original, never hit Orlimar persimmon woods from the Orlimar factory in Oakland CA produced in the early 80’s. I did add some undersized grips and cut them down a couple inches so they would work better for the kids.

I was able to rescue a collection of over 500 brand new, New Old Stock Orlimar woods that have been in storage for over 35 years and I now plan on offering them on my website poweredbypersimmon.com to those looking to experience the classic persimmon golf game with a quality club at affordable prices.

But yes, I also restore old woods and have shared some pics of my work in a few other threads. Most are from the 1950’s as the clubs from that era are some of the most beautiful clubs ever produced. I will be offering my own restorations and will offer my services to those looking to have their clubs restored.

But back to Plaid and his great work with The First Tee. I wanted to send him some quality clubs that can show his kids that you don’t need brand new clubs to play this game. Just get out and enjoy the game, no matter what you have.

I’m really excited that he is going to share the history of golf with his kids. It makes me so happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

very nice!

I still have my Titleist Persimmon 3 wood that must be 40 yrs old, looks similar to these.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

35 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I have a Titleist 3 wood I’m planning on having restored at some point.

Sounds like you might want to speak to deejaid. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That clean whipping is a thing of beauty. Building clubs like these and maintaining them properly is a lost art.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I just want to post a few that I actually restored, don’t want you guys to give me credit for the Orlimars when I haven’t worked on them.

I’m up in Tahoe looking at 2 feet of snow so just have a few pics on my iPad.

And yes, whipping does take a little practice, but it isn’t too hard. The hardest part is finding the whipping

Here is a early 80’s Cleveland Classic I just finished. It wasn’t in too bad of shape.

Before

IMG_0480.jpg

After

P1090854.jpg

P1090850.jpg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Just an FYI for you Spies that are interested in the classic game, my new website will mostly focus on persimmon woods and how they can be integrated into your current set. But I will be offering a few special sets of irons too for those that what the ultimate persimmon era experience.

Here is a little taste. 1958/59 Ben Hogan Sunburst iron set 2-E, completely restored to new. For those that want the swagger, put these in your bag with a restored persimmon wood set and a blade putter and you’ll be transported to 1958.

(P.S. these things are so shiny since the restoration I don’t even know how to photograph them )

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Great topic, guys.  Those are beauties.  Kudos to you both for the effort.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Awesome guys!!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Oh hell, I had to break out the dslr and the diffusion so you could really see these .

P1090894.jpg

P1090896.jpg

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I'd hit those.... 🙂 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I'd hit those....  

Might be my favorite Hogan design. I played these a bit before I had them rechromed.

They will be available for purchase on my new website, but I won’t mind if they don’t sell. I might build them and put them in the bag.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I can foresee poweredbypersimmon.com accounting for some substantial hits to my discretionary paypal funds. I already bookmarked the empty website on my browser; an early indication how bad this is likely to be on my pocketbook. I’m such a ho...

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I can foresee poweredbypersimmon.com accounting for some substantial hits to my discretionary paypal funds. I already bookmarked the empty website on my browser; an early indication how bad this is likely to be on my pocketbook. I’m such a ho...

Awesome! The website is nearly finished and will be launching next month.

As for funds, you won’t need much. My goal is to get quality persimmon clubs into players hands for a fair price. A 3-club set of New Old Stock Orlimars, Driver, 3 wood, and 4 wood, will be less than $100. It will be a great way for someone that’s never played persimmon woods before to experience it without breaking the bank.

Once you get hooked, you’ll then maybe want to buy a nice restored classic set. The woods of the late 1940’s through the 1950’s and into the mid 1960’s were really the golden age of the persimmon era. They are works of art.

The Hogan irons will of course be much more expensive do to the rarity and the cost to have them rechromed, but they will still cost less than many new iron sets.

I’ve had so much fun getting into the classic game, I’m on a mission to share the fun with as many people as possible.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived