Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
PlaidJacket

Feast Your Eyes on These Beauties

11 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I want you guys/gals to take a look at three 4-woods I recently received from one of our forum members you all know; deejaid. I don't recall how our conversation started but I think it had to do with The First Tee program I've started here where I live. I do recall mentioning to deejaid that most if not all of our kids probably have never seen a golf club made out of Wood and that they'd flip and get a kick out of seeing one. Let alone actually hitting a real wood. deejaid said he'd send me one for the kids to try. Well, I thanked him and expected to get and old beater he had laying around. Boy was I wrong. 

Last week I received a box and inside were three Orlimar 4-woods deejaid had (professionally) refinished and returned to new condition. I was stunned!! deejaid had included three beautifully restored clubs in three different lengths to fit a variety of kids depending on their height. The persimmon heads look brand new. He installed new shafts, grips, and whipping. My photos barely do justice to how beautiful these clubs look. I contacted deejaid and told him, "I can't let the kids hit these." as they'd be scuffed up and ruined immediately. Then I had a thought. I'm going to have the sole plates engraved with our First Tee Chapter name and eventually present them to the kids as a special award for various achievements they've earned. Would that be cool or what?!! I think so and I think the kids will appreciate them as much as I do. Thanks again deejaid and thank you for your generosity. 

As a side note I've also learned from deejaid that he's started a business recently to restore old clubs like these and perhaps more importantly; to spark interest in once again playing clubs from days past. I'm certainly interested in perhaps putting a fairway "Wood" in my bag. I'm sure deejaid can tell all of us more about these types of clubs and how he does what he does and how they might just fit into our game. Be advised.... if you get one (and I think you should) you're going to want to show it off. Me? I'd like to get out there and actually play one. Anyone care to join me or deejaid?

IMG_20190209_140446075_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190209_140621956_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190209_140810346_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190209_141603149.jpg

Incredible! Give yourself some credit Plaid, these pics are awesome and your idea of what to use them for is tremendous! @deejaid is one hell of a guy with some serious talent that is displayed here in spades. This collaboration is a match made in heaven and is certainly another fine example of how our fine little community of golf geeks & junkies can positively impact not only us readers, but also be a showcase of generosity that nets (we hope) a continued interest in golf history, tradition & respect by those youngsters interested in this funny little game. I couldn't think of two finer ambassadors from our group to pull that off. Thank-you so much for sharing not only these pics, but also your intentions of what to do with them. Please keep us informed in the future of how those kids react to these-my vote would be to see them be able to hit a few with these to be honest, but I certainly respect whatever their fate is even if they are to be wall-hangers. Either case, consider me #blownaway...

• Like 3

Are these hybrids? Seem small for a fairway wood. Just kidding.

These look amazing! Great to show some history to the kids too! Love the finish!

I have a Titleist 3 wood I’m planning on having restored at some point.

35 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I have a Titleist 3 wood I’m planning on having restored at some point.

Sounds like you might want to speak to deejaid. 🏌️‍♂️

• Like 1

That clean whipping is a thing of beauty. Building clubs like these and maintaining them properly is a lost art.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I just want to post a few that I actually restored, don’t want you guys to give me credit for the Orlimars when I haven’t worked on them.

I’m up in Tahoe looking at 2 feet of snow so just have a few pics on my iPad.

And yes, whipping does take a little practice, but it isn’t too hard. The hardest part is finding the whipping

Here is a early 80’s Cleveland Classic I just finished. It wasn’t in too bad of shape.

Before

IMG_0480.jpg

After

P1090854.jpg

P1090850.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Just an FYI for you Spies that are interested in the classic game, my new website will mostly focus on persimmon woods and how they can be integrated into your current set. But I will be offering a few special sets of irons too for those that what the ultimate persimmon era experience.

Here is a little taste. 1958/59 Ben Hogan Sunburst iron set 2-E, completely restored to new. For those that want the swagger, put these in your bag with a restored persimmon wood set and a blade putter and you’ll be transported to 1958.

(P.S. these things are so shiny since the restoration I don’t even know how to photograph them )

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I'd hit those....  

Might be my favorite Hogan design. I played these a bit before I had them rechromed.

They will be available for purchase on my new website, but I won’t mind if they don’t sell. I might build them and put them in the bag.

• Like 1

I can foresee poweredbypersimmon.com accounting for some substantial hits to my discretionary paypal funds. I already bookmarked the empty website on my browser; an early indication how bad this is likely to be on my pocketbook. I’m such a ho...

• Like 1

I can foresee poweredbypersimmon.com accounting for some substantial hits to my discretionary paypal funds. I already bookmarked the empty website on my browser; an early indication how bad this is likely to be on my pocketbook. I’m such a ho...

Awesome! The website is nearly finished and will be launching next month.

As for funds, you won’t need much. My goal is to get quality persimmon clubs into players hands for a fair price. A 3-club set of New Old Stock Orlimars, Driver, 3 wood, and 4 wood, will be less than $100. It will be a great way for someone that’s never played persimmon woods before to experience it without breaking the bank.

Once you get hooked, you’ll then maybe want to buy a nice restored classic set. The woods of the late 1940’s through the 1950’s and into the mid 1960’s were really the golden age of the persimmon era. They are works of art.

The Hogan irons will of course be much more expensive do to the rarity and the cost to have them rechromed, but they will still cost less than many new iron sets.

I’ve had so much fun getting into the classic game, I’m on a mission to share the fun with as many people as possible.

• Like 4
  • Love 1