Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
LeftyHawk

Draw vs Fade

I've been told that a draw will have a better roll out than a fade. With this crap for weather here in Michigan I've been doing some thinking on the draw vs Fade.

If my thinking is right it has to do with spin. The ball needs to have a particular spin to move right to left and vice versa.

So for a right handed person a draw moves right to left, how is that ball spin different if me as a lefty hits a fade, will that not have the same roll out as a right hitting a draw?

What am I missing?

Chris

DJ hits 400 yard fades. Bubba hits 360 yard fades. They both run in the right conditions. Someone can explain it better I am sure.

"Provided the ball speed, launch angle and spin rate are the same, a draw and fade will carry and roll the same distance. However, from a practical perspective, most club golfers will hit a draw further than a fade, because when they hit a draw they reduce the loft, leading to lower spin rates. Most of the time, shots with lower spin travel further."

"Because balls that go from left-to-right tend to have a higher spin rate, they come down at a steeper angle, meaning the ball will bounce and roll less."

• Like 5

I agree that @TSauer is right , essentially a ball that lands at a "flatter" angle will roll more than one that comes down steeper.  But in real life, most of us hit our "standard" shape further and more consistently that we do with the "other" shape.  Soggy fairways aren't a good enough reason for me to try to use a shape I can't depend on just to gain a few yards of roll.

Draws are hit with an inside out face to path (and face closed to path) and normally with a more upwards angle of attack.

Fades are hit with an outside in club path (and face open to path) and normally a more downwards angle of attack.

Therefore, draws usually mean less relative spinloft than a fade, and therefore a draw will have less spin and more roll. 

• Like 3

Direction doesn't matter. Ball only cares about spin. It's all about spin loft 
https://blog.trackmangolf.com/spin-loft/

Right. But I’m talking like JB Holmes type swing. Fade swing with a closed face.

Could you present the same loft as a draw(Er) of the ball would? Just be the path that changed?

I hate math.

31 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Right. But I’m talking like JB Holmes type swing. Fade swing with a closed face.

Could you present the same loft as a draw(Er) of the ball would? Just be the path that changed?

I hate math.

So you are talking about a path that is left of the target, but a face that is closed to the target but open to the path?  If the path is outside in and the face is close to the path, then it will be a pull draw.  There is no way to hit a fade with a club face that is closed to the path.  

I’m saying C on this diagram. Is that a closed face to path? Not trying to argue, just figure this out.

IMG_4870.JPG.9072286eb553f5262bf232c7e407883a.JPG

Nvm... I see now

Just now, Shankster said:

I’m saying C on this diagram. Is that a closed face to path? Not trying to argue, just figure this out.

IMG_4870.JPG

Nope - club face is open to path (and closed to target) in C.  Notice hoe the black line (face angle) sits in between target line and club path.

Nope - club face is open to path (and closed to target) in C.  Notice hoe the black line (face angle) sits in between target line and club path.

Yeah, I saw that right after I posted it.

Fades and cuts listen better than a draw or hook when they’re finding their landing spot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Wow we’ve wandered far afield.

None of us is a touring pro so let’s take that off the table and get back to the fact that generally speaking a draw will go farther than a fade and a controlled draw is the preferred ball flight for most amateur golfers.

Touring pros generally start out as people who draw the ball and then learn how to hit fades.

If in doubt Dave P’s advice is best to follow - just play the shot you’re comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1