Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×

Josh from VA

The extent of my “rain” gear is an umbrella! LoL I have Walter Hagen cold weather gear that is “waterproof,” although I’ve never actually stayed dry in it. 

I play year round, and in any condition(s), but worst two cases have to be; a nor’easter and a round at Portmarnock in 45 mph winds and a sideways downpour of rain. 

E12A2DF8-2E29-4128-BDCC-2B59C875DFBA.jpeg

Edited by Jdowney37

Jack, Washington State
PING Osbourne
Living in Seattle, I've played in a LOT of heavy rain, but anytime there are rivers running through the fairways and all your layers are soaked through, you know it's wet.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1. Bob, Kentucky
2. Footjoy pullover top from 1995-still works!
3. here in Kentucky you get everything from torrential downpours to icy rain. Played in all. Probably worst was when it was about 40 degrees and it felt like someone was pouring buckets of water it was raining so hard.

Darryl Czuy/Saskatchewan Canada

I have 3 sets of Rain Gear, Sun Ice (2) Foot Joy (1)

Worst Rain.  Rain is Rain, its the Cold Spring and Fall Rains that make it a challenge

Tournaments dont usually stop for rain in our Area

Ben, Kitzbühel - Austria (Please let me know as soon as this offer goes global and isn't restricted to Testers in the US or Canada)

Current rain gear from Vaude, which doubles as my Mountain Biking rain gear.

Does hail count as rain? I've played in sideways rain where no rain gear on earth will save you. Right now its snowing but I'd still play if there was a course that was open within reasonable driving distance.

1. Blake, Wisconsin
2. No rain specific gear, I usually just layer up 
3. 37* 20mph winds, day 2 of a 3 man scramble. If we weren't close to the top of the leaderboard we would've walked off (instead of relying on whiskey).

10 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

(4) TESTERS WANTED!!
Gallaway-Bay-1.jpg

Galway Bay Rain Gear

Looked kinda cold and wet out there at Pebble over the weekend, didn't it?

I'd guess staying warm and dry as a spectator would be pretty important, wouldn't you? And never mind the players!

I'd guess a lot of folks tripled up on pants at Pebble - some long johns, regular pants and them some pull-on rain pants. That's three pair of pants (if you count the long johns). Would just one pair of warm, waterproof pants be a better way to go?

That's what Galway Bay thinks, and they say their pants are just the ticket. 

Gallaway-Bay-2.jpg

TESTERS WANTED!

Galway Bay came out of nowhere to tie for top honors in MyGolfSpy's Best Rain Gear testing last year. Our testers loved the fact the rain pants were actual pants, with belt loops, pockets, a zipper -  you know, pants - that were also waterproof. the rain jacket was a top performer as well, with plenty of ease of movement, lightweight and snazzy looking. 

That's what our testers thought, but we want to know what YOU think. That's why we're looking for FOUR of you to test, review and keep a set of Galway Bay rain gear - fitted, waterproof slacks and a rain jacket (valued at a over $470).

This review opportunity is open to any avid golfer in the US or Canada who's not averse to playing in a little rain.

Gallaway-Bay-8.jpg

HOW TO APPLY:

As you know, we take our Forum Member testing VERY seriously here at MyGolfSpy, so please read this instructions VERY carefully and apply ONLY in this thread (applying in the Comments section of the blog, while a nice gesture, doesn't count).

To apply, please tell us the following

1. First name/home state or province
2. Current rain gear 
3. Worst rain you've ever played in

We'll be announcing our testers in this thread next week, so make sure to check back to see if you've been selected. 

Good luck!

Claudio/Tallahassee, Fl

Nike raingear

Worst weather- Pro Am in Ga, rain coming down sideways and swirling in 40 degree weather.

1.  Rob, NC
2.  Footjoy Dryjoy Select Rain Jacket, No pants currently
3.  Played in Myrtle Beach, SC in Feb.  38* and pouring rain.  The holes were completely full of water and we had to hit full shots with our putter to get the ball to travel through the puddles on the greens.

Bill Higgins from Louisville Kentucky.

Currently use FootJoy rain gear.

Worst rain I played in was last year at Valhalla in October.  Over an inch of rain during the round and the temperature never reached over 42 degrees.

We've had 3.34 inches of rain so far this month and expect rain 12 of the next 15 days.

Hunt/ California

Sun Mountain Goretex "Rain Wear" Jacket and Pants

I was caught at the FAR end of Rustic Canyon Golf Course when sprinkles turned into a downpour in less than 10 minutes.  We were walking and I never walk off a golf course, this time I had to put my head down and walk into the wind and rain as it blasted against my face and body.

1. Dan. MD, USA
2. Marmot Pants (over golf pants/shorts) , Sunice longsleve, Mizuno 3/4 sleeve top. 
3. Worst rain you've ever played in: A monumental  armageddon-esq rain storm at Lighthouse Sound GC in Ocean City MD, it filled my waterproof shoes from in the inside out!! The only thing missing were the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse rinding down the fairway. We had everything else. 85º to 60º in 5 mins, flash flooding rendering cart paths unnavigable, wooden tees marking ball location got washed away and quarter sized hail, and back to 85º within 2 hours!! 

1. Virginia Beach, Virginia

2. Nike Storm Fit Rain Jacket and Pants

3. I play year round and in all conditions so I can recall a particular occasion but I can assure you there have been some cold wet rounds in October/November.

Louis from Minneapolis, MN

Sun Mountain Elite  jacket paired with foot joy pants.

I once waited out a severe thunderstorm 45 degrees at Interlachen CC on a Monday because it was my first chance at breaking 80! An hour and a half later I finished my round with two awesome triple bogeys to shoot 84.

I use Sun Mountain and Zero Restriction. One is heavier for colder/cooler, the other much lighter for warmer climes. 

One pair of pants for all weather is a definite advancement. 

Worst ever a full-on gale at Royal Portrush. 30 knot winds, sideways rain with occasional sleet.  I can hardly wait to see the weather for this year’s Open Championship.  

Michael Wharton-palmer

Texarkana Arkansas

Nike

Sideways wind and rain at Turnberry...just another day on the West Coast of Scotland.

But several times in USGA events when they simply refuse to let you "come in" the "golf is an outside sport" mentality of the USGA🤣

Edited by michael wharton-palmer

Chris Plymouth UK 🇬🇧 currently using callaway 2.0 the links courses i play around my area with the wind and rain will give any waterproof gear a very stern test I've played in a force 7 with rain sideways and I might as well of jumped in the lake for all the good my waterproofs did me 

Rob, Nebraska

Currently use Frog Toggs rain pants and jacket

I'm a high school golf coach so I have coached in lots of bad weather, but actual play was last October in a 4 man scramble, constant drizzle and about 45 degrees, which was bad enough to make it miserable, but not bad enough to make us want to quit!