Our Sponsors

Matt, Virginia

No rain gear right now

Worst rain was a Kapalua Bay course last year, it was coming down sideways with heavy winds but there was no way I was not going to play in Maui.   Took over 24 hours for my clothes and shoes to dry out they were so soaked.

1. Jim - Covina, CA
2. ProQuip
3. Bandon Dunes - 40+ mph winds, sideways rain and sleet....... ya, it went right through everything !s

:taylormade-small: Taylormade M4 10.5

Taylormade M3 HL 3 wd

Taylormade M2  5 wd

Taylormade M1 4 hybrid 

:ping-small:    6-PW Ping I500  

:cleveland-small: 52 RTX 3 / 56 RTX 3 / 60 Cleveland RTX 4

:cameron-small: Scotty Cameron GoLo 7 or Scotty Futura 5.5m

Bettinardi bb32 (depending on my mood)

Lee from British Columbia

In the northwest we get substantial rain, I play year round.

My worst weather day here in BC was in mid-March in an opening day tournament where it rained almost 1 inch in 4 hours of play to the point that the course was closed just after we finished our last hole.

Currently have SunIce gear. 

Is this where you apply?   Confusing to me..... I don’t see where else you go to apply?

Dave, Washington state

worst rain ..... many days during the winter in Washington State.

I now have Galvin Green.

Edited by Dave Yang
Additional comments. I recall reading a few years ago that rainwear is rated in “rain units” with the higher the number being the better rating. The challenge seems to be keeping the rain out, but allowing your body to breathe

I’m a long time fan, but just joined today. 

I live in Portland, Oregon and play all year. I play in all types of weather including heavy rain, snow and sleet. I still play when greens are unputtable due to rain. Auto two putts is actually a fun game to play in the rain.

I wear a dryjoys jacket, a wool paperboy hat and pants vary: several pairs of rain pants and a trusty pair of old wool pants that are my favorite. Footjoy rain gloves. 

Always walk. No umbrella. No pushcart.  Just hoof the bag.

im a software analyst by trade, and spend most of my working life reading and writing analysis documents.  I understand the commitment required to document findings of all kinds.

I’m on the board at my men’s club and belong to two other men’s golf clubs. 

I play year around. No real practice. 

Rick

Pennsylvania

Current rain gear: Footjoy Hydrolite jacket, North Face Rain Pants

Worst rain: freezing rain in northern Michigan in the fall. 

1. Scott / Washington state

2. It's 10+ years old, no idea what brand it is

3. @ Jefferson Park (where Couples grew up playing), just got dumped on in one round in particular, constant, giant drops, I was SOAKED

Bill / Ottawa Canada (greygoose)

sun mountain gortex

pouring rain - water was half way up the cart wheels and my blackberry fried.

To apply, please tell us the following

1. First name/home state or province:  Duncan/Missouri
2. Current rain gear:  Zero Restriction
3. Worst rain you've ever played in:  On Prince Edward Island. 

13 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

(4) TESTERS WANTED!!
Gallaway-Bay-1.jpg

Galway Bay Rain Gear

Looked kinda cold and wet out there at Pebble over the weekend, didn't it?

I'd guess staying warm and dry as a spectator would be pretty important, wouldn't you? And never mind the players!

I'd guess a lot of folks tripled up on pants at Pebble - some long johns, regular pants and them some pull-on rain pants. That's three pair of pants (if you count the long johns). Would just one pair of warm, waterproof pants be a better way to go?

That's what Galway Bay thinks, and they say their pants are just the ticket. 

Gallaway-Bay-2.jpg

TESTERS WANTED!

Galway Bay came out of nowhere to tie for top honors in MyGolfSpy's Best Rain Gear testing last year. Our testers loved the fact the rain pants were actual pants, with belt loops, pockets, a zipper -  you know, pants - that were also waterproof. the rain jacket was a top performer as well, with plenty of ease of movement, lightweight and snazzy looking. 

That's what our testers thought, but we want to know what YOU think. That's why we're looking for FOUR of you to test, review and keep a set of Galway Bay rain gear - fitted, waterproof slacks and a rain jacket (valued at a over $470).

This review opportunity is open to any avid golfer in the US or Canada who's not averse to playing in a little rain.

Gallaway-Bay-8.jpg

HOW TO APPLY:

As you know, we take our Forum Member testing VERY seriously here at MyGolfSpy, so please read this instructions VERY carefully and apply ONLY in this thread (applying in the Comments section of the blog, while a nice gesture, doesn't count).

To apply, please tell us the following

1. First name/home state or province
2. Current rain gear 
3. Worst rain you've ever played in

We'll be announcing our testers in this thread next week, so make sure to check back to see if you've been selected. 

Good luck!

Ross/Colorado

Footjoy and Zero Restriction 

Ireland in both 2000 and 2018. Man does it rain there.

Mike McFerron, Prescott, AZ

I've owned all kinds of rain gear. Some good, some not so good. Currently own Foot Joy Dry Joys (vest, jacket, bucket hat and pants).

Having lived in 5 different states (IN, MI, SC, FL, AZ) and being fortunate enough to play in Scottland, and at Bandon Dunes, I've experienced rain from sprinkles to near hurricane conditions. If it doesn't lightning, and the course doesn't close - the round will be completed! - Therefore, I feel I'd be a worthy tester.

Harry E., San Diego CA

Sunice pants & jacket

A number of year ago I played with 3 buddies at Waterville in Ireland. The rain started about 6 holes in and by the 13 was coming in sideways. I don't think that any raingear can keep you dry in that.  That being said, since SoCal is way above the average rainfall this year, would love to try the Galway Bay apparel.

Bill/Ohio                                                  

FJ

Snow on The Scarlet, rai during a member/guest in SC reminiscent of Caddy Shack minus the lightning! Thanks for the chance. 

Eric / Kentucky

Marmot jacket, no pants

KY has had 63in. of rain average statewide this year. I played in a lot of it. Club championship I had to put through a puddle on the green. 

1. First name/home state or province: Richard - Missouri
2. Current rain gear - Whatever I can find in the closet (aka none)
3. Worst rain you've ever played in - I think I've just about played in everything, from a light mist, to steady or even torrential rain. I once had a thunderstorm move in while on the 7th hole that brought serious gusts of wind that made the rain hurt. Still finished the hole before the course pulled everyone in. Rain doesn't bother me so much, but cold certainly does. Sounds like GB's products could help me with both.

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

John / Rhode Island

All FootJoy - pants, 3/4 sleeve jacket, hat

Sideways rain in a sustained 25 Kt wind for 18 holes

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* - stock Alta CB shaft