Tom/Chicago, IL

FOOTJOY Rain Gear and Nike Rain Gear

Chicago checks all of the weather boxes. My buddies and I try to play at least one local round every month of the year. October-April there is rain, snow, freezing rain, hail. Worst I’ve played in was probably cold rain that turned to hail. Courses are usually empty however! 

Nancy; CA

golf umbrella; no rain gear per se - GracedbyGrit

Pacific Palisades, CA - Trump National Golf Course

Joe, Kansas

Sunice Jacket/Pants

Big XII, Prairie Dunes - 35-40 degrees, windy, rained 3 inches during play

Edited by JosephIX

Tim/Texas

FJ pants and top

Cold, heavy rain in January.  Got caught out on the course by a sudden down pour while walking 18 holes.  It was a long trek back in to the clubhouse.  Everything was soaked by the time I got in.

Sterling, British Columbia (but I have a post box in the States to facilitate US-only deliveries)

I have Sunice Zephal Z-tech outerwear. 

Living in Vancouver (average 160 days of rain/year), I play in rain frequently during the winter, though it rarely is torrential. It’s more of a steady, grinding, drizzle, heavy enough to turn away the fair weather golfers. Beginning in March rain becomes more intermittent, usually hanging around a week before clearing up. That continues through early-to-mid-June and then summer kicks in until late September. 

15 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

(4) TESTERS WANTED!!
Gallaway-Bay-1.jpg

Galway Bay Rain Gear

Looked kinda cold and wet out there at Pebble over the weekend, didn't it?

I'd guess staying warm and dry as a spectator would be pretty important, wouldn't you? And never mind the players!

I'd guess a lot of folks tripled up on pants at Pebble - some long johns, regular pants and them some pull-on rain pants. That's three pair of pants (if you count the long johns). Would just one pair of warm, waterproof pants be a better way to go?

That's what Galway Bay thinks, and they say their pants are just the ticket. 

Gallaway-Bay-2.jpg

TESTERS WANTED!

Galway Bay came out of nowhere to tie for top honors in MyGolfSpy's Best Rain Gear testing last year. Our testers loved the fact the rain pants were actual pants, with belt loops, pockets, a zipper -  you know, pants - that were also waterproof. the rain jacket was a top performer as well, with plenty of ease of movement, lightweight and snazzy looking. 

That's what our testers thought, but we want to know what YOU think. That's why we're looking for FOUR of you to test, review and keep a set of Galway Bay rain gear - fitted, waterproof slacks and a rain jacket (valued at a over $470).

This review opportunity is open to any avid golfer in the US or Canada who's not averse to playing in a little rain.

Gallaway-Bay-8.jpg

HOW TO APPLY:

As you know, we take our Forum Member testing VERY seriously here at MyGolfSpy, so please read this instructions VERY carefully and apply ONLY in this thread (applying in the Comments section of the blog, while a nice gesture, doesn't count).

To apply, please tell us the following

1. First name/home state or province
2. Current rain gear 
3. Worst rain you've ever played in

We'll be announcing our testers in this thread next week, so make sure to check back to see if you've been selected. 

Good luck!

Brett, Seattle Washington

UA/Nike

Constant dumping/ heavy/cold rain where even the waterproof hat our coach gave us for tournaments started to soak through, eventually leading me to wipe my head with a towel after every shot. 

1. Max/New York
2. Zero Restriction Jackets/No pants currently

3. Sideways rain/hail at palm beach par 3. Same day as tornado warnings so ya... it was windy. 

James from Louisiana 

Footjoy is current raingear

lots of opportunities here in Louisiana to play in the rain but worst would perhaps be a tie between playing on a day when a tropical storm was deluging our area with winds over 30 sustained with higher gusts and down pouring.  No lightning as with a thunderstorm however on this one occasion.  The other would be a rainy day in December with temps around 35-40 all day and constant rain.  On neither occasion did my rain gear hold up; the other problem besides being wet was that in the first case I was sweating due to the fabric not breathing wnd in the second case it was not thick or warm enough,which is the reason for my curiosity in Galway rain gear.  I could give it a good test.  I also walk the vast majority of my rounds.

Edited by James Dulaney

Kyle from Mississippi

FootJoy DryJoy full rain suit as well as short sleeve rain jacket. 

This time a year, weather ranges from 25 to 80 degrees with rain every week. Played once last week in the rain, round started at about 40 degrees and peaked out at 60 with 10-15 mph winds and rain. Greens had standing water on them, needless to say the jacket and pants did not hold up too well. 

John, New York

Off Brand

November Turkey Shoot - mist to rain to sleet to snow - called after 9 holes

Jeff, Ontario, Canada 

Nike storm

I thought it doesn’t rain on the golf course 😉

I’ve played in fairways covering in snow and chipped off frozen ponds.  I’ve also played in rain where you need sunglasses to look at your ball.

Ray L./North Carolina

The Weather Company

We have been having a rainy winter here- caught in thunderstorm playing Mid Pines 3 months ago soaked to the bone

Edited by yellowboy

Daniel from California

Current rain gear is nike hyperadapt series.

Worst rain storm was a monsoon storm in bandon dunes.

Chris brown from australia

abacus Dixon waterproof pants and stretchlite abacus jacket

on the coast of Sydney 40km hour winds coming in side ways with rain shocking weather 

Steve, Indiana

Callaway performance rain suit, foot joy bucket hat and gloves

Played in Tennessee 10 years ago in October on a buddies golf trip.  Poured or rained every day for 4 days straight and even snowed a little the last day.  Had as couple layers on including my rain gear but was still miserable.  Definately could of used warmer rain gear.

Ryan, Utah

Nike Storm Fit

Worst rain I played in was a cold day in May and it came down the entire round! By about 15 it was coming through the bill of my hat!! 

Tom, Tennessee

Foot Joy Dry Joy jacket ( but it's too big for me now , finally got in shape)

Hogan Pants, x large umbrella and a golf bag umbrella. Nike storm hat.  

Can you tell I play in the rain!

Been raining for three months now. Worst play was with torrential rain. Couldn't see more than a hundred yards. But you gotta do what you gotta do when in a tournament! Play on!

1. Djordje, Alberta 
2. Sun Mountain Cumulus
3. Silvertip, Canmore AB - morning snow turned to freezing rain then a full on downpour. 4 glove changes, 3 sock changes and a ruined hat!  

Manja,  Overijssel,  the Netherlands

Kjus

Here in The Netherlands we can not play golf without rain gear in your bag. In the summer, spring, autumn and winter we always have rainy days in a week. From mist untill storm...

Bob from Michigan                                                                                                                                                                                                                      30yr old foot joy  jacket and pants                                                                                                                                                                                   started the round with shorts on and finished with rain gear towels as head gear and winter gloves and orange balls.                                   rain was measured over an 1 snow was 1/2 in