Matt from Dallas, Texas (where we've set records for rain starting in about September).

I have an UnderArmour Storm Jacket and Adidas Fall-Weight Pants. It's been a decent combo, but not water-resistant enough to inspire full confidence in the weather we've been having this season. 

In November, I played in a downpour where the greens were beautiful and dry on the first hole but by the time we reached the 8th hole, there was more standing water than dry patches. Played all the way through it though and once I figured out how to pick my irons clean (instead of cratering into the mud) I played the best 9 holes of my life. 

I would really like to try some Galway Bay gear. 

Dave/Western Washington; currently wear Sun Mountain rain gear. Worst downpour I've ever played in was two years ago, when a microburst lashed the course with 35 knot winds and driving rain for 45 minutes, followed by steady, heavy rain for the rest of the round. I was wearing my best rain gear, and Nike Lunar Bandon rain boots; my feet stayed dry, but every other inch of me was drenched! 

When I'm not playing, I work as a caddie and on-course player assistant at Chambers Bay, where I don't have the option of hanging out in the turnstand or restaurant until the heavy stuff stops. I have no doubt that I could provide a thorough and rigorous test of Galway Bay rain gear, and write an equally-thorough review! 

Nick/Vermont

The worst rain is always the downpour on a sunny day when you are unprepared and on hole 5 which is a mile from the clubhouse.   

I currently keep a Marmot Precip jacket stored in my bag for occasional use.  I use a Nike Storm Fit jacket and pants combo on really wet days, along with a gustbuster umbrella and footjoy rain gloves.  I would really like to try a pair of fitted rain pants.  The Nike's are obviously sized to fit over a regular pair of pants meaning they are baggier than David Duval's khakis from the late 90s.

Gal, Slovenia

McKinley thin softshell, umbrella and sick anti-rain dance moves.

Late november heavy rain with snowflakes mixed between water drops. I am still shivering.

Will, Oregon.

Nike football rain jacket, REI pants.

40 degree rain with 15 mph wind, then sun, then rain, then sun. Then all rain. Being cold hot and wet at the same time is interesting.

Eric, Illinois

FJ

Sleet/Freezing Rain in Illinois/Borderline Tropical Storm in Hilton Head

David

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - Rain capital of Canada!

Under Armour Storm Gortex

Worst day I've ever played in was a tournament at Kings Links - Rain started on hole 2 and came in sideways all day.  Winds were 40-60km.  Umbrella broke on the fifth hole.  Came in after the tournament round drenched to the skin!!  Had to take my shoes off and pour water out of them!  Crazy day!!  Guys were so wet the skin on their hand and feet went white like they'd stayed too long in the swimming pool.  It was brutal!!

Edited by doubleday

Nick from San Diego

Currently I wear footjoy head to toe and the worst rain storm was at Spring creek golf club in VA where not only was it raining cats and dogs but our cart died on the back half of the course so we walked in and finished LOL. It was cold and wet but it was so worth it!!

Ed Nolan - South Jersey 

North Face Venture Jacket and Pants 

I play all year around, I played in rain, sleet, and light snow that was starting to come down but that was only 9 holes. 

Thanks !

Dave, Ohio

Carnoustie Jacket, REI stretch rainpants

16 of us playing at Shaftesbury Glen in Myrtle Beach, SC.  After a couple of holes one of the guys said you don't have to worry about reading the slope of the greens, you have to read the current. First time I got a rain check in MB.

15 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

(4) TESTERS WANTED!!
Gallaway-Bay-1.jpg

Galway Bay Rain Gear

Looked kinda cold and wet out there at Pebble over the weekend, didn't it?

I'd guess staying warm and dry as a spectator would be pretty important, wouldn't you? And never mind the players!

I'd guess a lot of folks tripled up on pants at Pebble - some long johns, regular pants and them some pull-on rain pants. That's three pair of pants (if you count the long johns). Would just one pair of warm, waterproof pants be a better way to go?

That's what Galway Bay thinks, and they say their pants are just the ticket. 

Gallaway-Bay-2.jpg

TESTERS WANTED!

Galway Bay came out of nowhere to tie for top honors in MyGolfSpy's Best Rain Gear testing last year. Our testers loved the fact the rain pants were actual pants, with belt loops, pockets, a zipper -  you know, pants - that were also waterproof. the rain jacket was a top performer as well, with plenty of ease of movement, lightweight and snazzy looking. 

That's what our testers thought, but we want to know what YOU think. That's why we're looking for FOUR of you to test, review and keep a set of Galway Bay rain gear - fitted, waterproof slacks and a rain jacket (valued at a over $470).

This review opportunity is open to any avid golfer in the US or Canada who's not averse to playing in a little rain.

Gallaway-Bay-8.jpg

HOW TO APPLY:

As you know, we take our Forum Member testing VERY seriously here at MyGolfSpy, so please read this instructions VERY carefully and apply ONLY in this thread (applying in the Comments section of the blog, while a nice gesture, doesn't count).

To apply, please tell us the following

1. First name/home state or province
2. Current rain gear 
3. Worst rain you've ever played in

We'll be announcing our testers in this thread next week, so make sure to check back to see if you've been selected. 

Good luck!

Anthony, New Jersey

Nike Storm Fit 

Played in a club championship match in the days leading up to hurricane Sandy. Rain/wind was unreal. 

Fred/Alabama

Proquip and Sun Mountain

Passing downpours with Gale force winds at Machrihanish GC, Scotland

Harry, Missouri

Galvin Green Jacket and trousers 

The worst I have ever played in was at home in Bournemouth, England. I was playing a 36 hole club championship and I had to make a full wardrobe change after every 9 holes, nothing on me was dry!

Chris, Leesburg, VA

FootJoy rain pants & jacket

Sideways rain & rain that seemed to come from underneath (like Forrest Gump).  Almost to the point of unplayable.

Todd From Louisiana

My current rain gear is a sleeveless jacket and Galway light rain pants. The jacket from them was too $ for me. The pants are Great.

Would live to try the jacket.

The rain here in Louisiana is never light, mostly have a hard time seeing past 20 feet.

1. First name/home state or province: Scot/Los Angeles
2. Current rain gear: FJ Hydrolite pants & jacket
3. Worst rain you've ever played in: Polo-RLX

& Thx to global warming, LA is the new Seattle. 

Adam, Vancouver B.C. (rainiest place ever) 

Use Adidas rain jacket and Climawarm pants. 

I play year round we get rain over 161 days a year higher chance than not that it will rain when we play.  

1. Dave from Michigan

2. Currently play 20+ year old Tourney suit with sleeves cut off jacket for warm weather. In colder weather, wear a FootJoy jacket instead. Tourney pants are heavy as hell

3. In late March/early April, and late October/early November, we frequently get wind chills in the 20s with rain. I always walk, so the extra layer of the rain gear on top of my sweaters, corduroys etc can make for an exhausting round.