Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Long putters

Last week I bought a 38" putter and am trying a somewhat arm lock method with my stroke, something like you see Matt Kuchar do.

Not that I want to get into to a massive debate over whether or not Bernhard Langer is cheating with his anchored putter, where he says he doesn't anchor, based on nothing more than his word, I'll simply say that even the mere impropriety of what he is doing doesn't sit well with me.  But again, I'm not really wanting to go down this rabbit hole, because the rule itself brings too much debate into the equation, and I think it's another example of how the USGA has screwed the pooch with certain rules being vague enough for someone like Langer and McCarron to basically flip the USGA the middle finger and keep doing what they did prior to the rules being changed.

Meanwhile, changing that rule has cost players like Keegan Bradley, Adam Scott and Webb Simpson millions in prize money, simply because some suit in New Jersey didn't like the look of the stroke.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• 2 months later...

My dad does. He always feels like he had a better look at the putt.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

One of my regular playing partners does this, he is a very good ball striker but only an average putter.  Which equals out to a very good golfer.  He does it because of the yips.

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

• 10 months later...

I still use a belly putter. No, I don't anchor. I actually use a stroke which is kind of a cross between a regular putting stroke (with the top hand) and a hockey shot (with the bottom hand) with sort of a claw grip. The closest pro I've seen using something similar was Natalie Gulbis. I saw her using something similar about three years ago on TV. 

• 1 month later...

Though I don’t use my belly putter on course I practice with it daily. It really helps me groove my stroke with traditional length putter. I make sure the grip is pointing at my belly just like it did when it was anchored there. Also both are Odyssey White Ice 2 balls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Currently in play:

TM Supertri 10.5* w/Motore 65

Callaway Diablo 16* w/DVS

Cleveland Halo's 19*, 22*, 25* w/DGSL

Ping I5's 5-PW w/CZ75

Scratch JLM with PDG grind 53* & 58* w/Nippon 1050gh

Odyssey Wh#1 2 Thumbs grip

Upro GPS

I didn't start playing until age 55, and most of your athletic skills have deserted you by then.  I was always a horrible putter, so I tried about everything: conventional, belly, long, and was never very good with any of them.  I had a good friend give me a blade custom built Kenny Giannini putter about 3 years ago, so I was determined to use it exclusively.  I putt better than I ever have, and it was basically just getting a couple of solid tips from a young coach at our university, and being confident in my approach to putting.  Never going to be great, but I'm light years better than I was.....

• 4 weeks later...

Just went back to the broomstick this year. Used one for many years and even before the ban I didn’t anchor the putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• 1 year later...

I put away from broomstick after the ban. Come back to it This season I took it out and really help sort out my putting stroke.  With my standard length putter I moved away from the shoulder powered stroke and was using my arms more and stroke become more irratic  
with the broomstick I’m Feel more like a pure pendulum with less fuss   The motion initiated by my shoulders rather the hand/arms.  Will bring the putter back into my regular putter rotation. Currently I have three putters that I rotate back and forth