TESTERS WANTED! ×

New England: ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

15 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I enjoy Highfields and play there a couple times a year. Played Blackstone without a GPS or laser and it was a mess. Shining Rock was great until I chipped a wedge hitting out of a bunker with a boulder under the sand.

This thread is great and hopefully the NE guys can get together at some point.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I'd definitely like to expand my NE golf horizons a bit and head further south into RI and north into NH, ME, VT more. Tough wehn you only get to play maybe twice a month and the usual guys need something cheap and local. 

Outside of playing Newport National for my wedding, the furthest south I've gone is Blissful

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 w/Ping tour 75 S

:srixon-small: f85 3w+ 13.5d w/HZRDS HC Yellow 6.5 (76g)

:srixon-small: h85 3h 19d w/HZRDS Black 6 (85g)

:srixon-small: u65 23d w/Miyazaka Kaula 7u S 73g

:srixon-small: z565 5-6 w/KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:srixon-small: z765 7-P w/KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:cleveland-small: RTX3-CB 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small: O-Works 2w

14 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Count me in boys! I live in NH but travel to Cranston regularly - have played Blackstone several times, Blissful Meadows once (with Stroker), New England CC and a bunch others - learned to play at Stow Acres in the 80's, also play Red Tail, Shaker Hills, Westminster CC and many more. 

Haven't played RedTail in a few years. Played Shaker last year for the first time since all of their renovations were completed. Cyprian Keyes is a place I dread, nice course, I just can;t play there for some reason.

Anyone been out to Butterbrook? I really like that course. Also Kettlebrook in Paxton is very nice.

13 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I'm in Exeter, near the Seacoast. Play most of my golf at Breakfast Hill in Greenland. Considered joining Abenaqui in Rye, but with travel not sure if it would be worth it. Played at Pease in Portsmouth a couple of times - not a favorite. Like Atkinson a lot, too. 

Only been here a year. Lived in Minnesota for the previous 22 years - in Leominster and Harvard MA before that.

My In-Laws have been going up to Hampton almost their whole lives, and have played Dennis Pines a couple of times. Would love to get out around that area a bit more too. Would love to play Portsmouth 

3 minutes ago, MadDad said:

Haven't played RedTail in a few years. Played Shaker last year for the first time since all of their renovations were completed. Cyprian Keyes is a place I dread, nice course, I just can;t play there for some reason.

Anyone been out to Butterbrook? I really like that course. Also Kettlebrook in Paxton is very nice.

haven't tried butterbrook.

Kettlebrook in the fall is fantastic!  Love that course.
A couple new ones I played last year and really liked - Connecticut National and Acushnet River Valley.... Acushnet was great and I think some of the Titleist folks play there.

Exeter country club in RI, Poquoy Brook is fun.  Stowe acres is great.
Cyprian is tough... narrow and you've got to be on your game.
Waverly Oaks is real nice.
Red Tail is on my bucket list but whew, it's expensive!

I need to head up towards NH this year.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

14 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Where in NH? Me and another new (and probably not as vocal) member here are planning a trip in June. His brother has access to a house in Meredith so we’re planning to play 4 rounds in two days.

Have you (or anyone else here) played any of these:

-Ridgewood Country Club
-Indian Mound Golf Club
-North Conway Country Club
-Wentworth Country Club

Seems like those are the best options near us. Any other suggestions you guys have is awesome too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used to do a guys trip up to NH and played Owl's Nest.  
That is an amazing course - I could play it every day for the entire season.  So much fun.

https://www.owlsnestresort.com/golf/

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I posted this a general thread too, but could anyone hear give me a rundown on the signatures and badges?

Would love to hop on the train with getting my signature dolled up with a "what's in my bag". Are we downloading OEM logos and using HTML to include in the signature?

Same thing for the Use badges (Broke 80, Donor, etc.)?

20 minutes ago, MadDad said:

Played Butter Brook last year - loved it! Had a great round going until the triple on 18.  Really interesting course. I like courses that make you hit something other than driver on some of the holes...several short par 5's and a couple of reachable par 5's.

Cyprian Keys is maybe the quirkiest course I've played around here. Kind of course you have to play regularly to figure out. I'm with you - it's weird. 

Love the back 9 at Red Tail - hell, the front ain't bad, either.  I picked up some Spring BOGO's for Shaker Hills (good until May 31st)  and a bunch of $49 coupons for the Ledges in York, ME at the Golf Show. Hear really good things about that course.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

2 minutes ago, MadDad said:

I posted this a general thread too, but could anyone hear give me a rundown on the signatures and badges?

Would love to hop on the train with getting my signature dolled up with a "what's in my bag". Are we downloading OEM logos and using HTML to include in the signature?

Same thing for the Use badges (Broke 80, Donor, etc.)?

I can help you with the badges....what are you looking for?

For the signature go here - https://forum.mygolfspy.com/settings/signature/ - and you can set it up.

Check out what the other guys have and you'll get an idea.  There are small jpg images you can use in the editor.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

They have some spring specials - if you can get away on a weekday it can be had for around $65 or so...

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

We used to do a guys trip up to NH and played Owl's Nest.  
That is an amazing course - I could play it every day for the entire season.  So much fun.
https://www.owlsnestresort.com/golf/

Wow that looks nice!

It might be just a little too far between courses since it’s an hour from the other closest one, but I might push for it since I want to play it now. Haha thanks for the link!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Just now, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

They have some spring specials - if you can get away on a weekday it can be had for around $65 or so...

Definitely will keep that in mind.  I typically take a day during the week of to play so I don't run into weekend traffic.

It's on all of the best lists and has been for a long time.  Thanks for the tip!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

Wow that looks nice!

It might be just a little too far between courses since it’s an hour from the other closest one, but I might push for it since I want to play it now. Haha thanks for the link!

Some absolutely stunning views of the white mountains and unforgettable holes; I haven't played it in years and I still can picture a number of holes.
I won't ruin it for you but if you're anywhere near it, well worth the trip!

Good luck.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Definitely will keep that in mind.  I typically take a day during the week of to play so I don't run into weekend traffic.

It's on all of the best lists and has been for a long time.  Thanks for the tip!

Let know when you go - I'm always up for a trip to Red Tail and Shaker. And Stow. 

Ever play Rhode Island Country Club? Got to play there several times -- typical Donald Ross course -- the more you play it, the more you get it. Fun track...

How about Wachusett?

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Let know when you go - I'm always up for a trip to Red Tail and Shaker. And Stow. 

Ever play Rhode Island Country Club? Got to play there several times -- typical Donald Ross course -- the more you play it, the more you get it. Fun track...

How about Wachusett?

Will do!

Never played RICC... that's private; how'd you get on so many times?

Played Wachusett 2 years ago.  Fun course and great elevation changes but it can get really windy there!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

How does everyone view prices in New England?  Everyone's bank accounts and situations differ so I'd be interested in hearing from regional folks about their take on cost and quality in the area.

GOOD VALUE I typically think that anything in the $60-80 range (weekend/ riding) that is well-kept and in good condition is a good value.

CHEAP:  Anything lower than that you kind of should be expecting slightly less in the conditions department, but if you go into it with the right expectations, those tracks can certainly serve their purpose.

NICE BUT PRICEY: $80-100 is getting up there for sure and gives me pause. One, because the gap in quality and experience vs.the GOOD VALUE stuff isn't that wide. Two, because that's the point where my wife starts to second guess everything I do. 

EXPENSIVE: $100-135 is tough to justify for similar reasons stated above, unless it's a charity tournament or something similar where proceeds are going somewhere, you're getting a meal and a raffle etc. I wouldn't necessarily classify courses in this range as "Bucket List" types, but maybe "Must Play" if you're from the area.

The courses in that range are typically, and should absolutely be, of noticeable difference to the GOOD VALUE stuff when it comes to experience, service, and condition. Sort of the "you get what you pay for" mentality. But again, the cost-value is harder to swallow here.

COST PROHIBITIVE: North of $135 just becomes cost prohibitive for one round of golf. These would be more of the "bucket-list type of course who should offer and even better experience the EXPENSIVE bunch. These are places you'd love to play but if you'll likely never get to all them.

Really only ever doable for tournaments/ charities again, and Vacations/ Special Occasions. These are the cream of the crop places that take so much convincing and negotiating with my wife that they become cost prohibitive.

Would love to hear your thoughts?

On 3/4/2019 at 3:08 PM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I've been dying to play Taconic for years - maybe this summer. Just purchased a foursome at Crumpin-Fox in Bernardston - will be hitting that sometime this spring/summer. 

What about "The Ranch" isn't that out that way?  I've heard really good things

26 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

For the signature go here - https://forum.mygolfspy.com/settings/signature/ - and you can set it up.

Check out what the other guys have and you'll get an idea.  There are small jpg images you can use in the editor.

Thanks!! I saw a thread with the badges available. Donor, Veteran, Broke 80.

I just started messing with the editor and have done some really basic HTML stuff in the past. I appreciate the assist

24 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

How about Wachusett?

I played Wachusette for the 1st time this past year too. Liked it a lot. It was later in the season, so maybe not init's best shape, but would go back for sure.

7 minutes ago, MadDad said:

Thanks!! I saw a thread with the badges available. Donor, Veteran, Broke 80.

I just started messing with the editor and have done some really basic HTML stuff in the past. I appreciate the assist

Wow thanks, I didn't know you meant you'd actually do it for me. Truly appreciated 

Just now, MadDad said:

Wow thanks, I didn't know you meant you'd actually do it for me. Truly appreciated 

oh...I'm a co-moderator so I can do certain things on the forum.  🙂

Would you mind sending a PM with the confirmation number from your donation?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

58 minutes ago, MadDad said:

How does everyone view prices in New England?  Everyone's bank accounts and situations differ so I'd be interested in hearing from regional folks about their take on cost and quality in the area.

GOOD VALUE I typically think that anything in the $60-80 range (weekend/ riding) that is well-kept and in good condition is a good value.

CHEAP:  Anything lower than that you kind of should be expecting slightly less in the conditions department, but if you go into it with the right expectations, those tracks can certainly serve their purpose.

NICE BUT PRICEY: $80-100 is getting up there for sure and gives me pause. One, because the gap in quality and experience vs.the GOOD VALUE stuff isn't that wide. Two, because that's the point where my wife starts to second guess everything I do. 

EXPENSIVE: $100-135 is tough to justify for similar reasons stated above, unless it's a charity tournament or something similar where proceeds are going somewhere, you're getting a meal and a raffle etc. I wouldn't necessarily classify courses in this range as "Bucket List" types, but maybe "Must Play" if you're from the area.

The courses in that range are typically, and should absolutely be, of noticeable difference to the GOOD VALUE stuff when it comes to experience, service, and condition. Sort of the "you get what you pay for" mentality. But again, the cost-value is harder to swallow here.

COST PROHIBITIVE: North of $135 just becomes cost prohibitive for one round of golf. These would be more of the "bucket-list type of course who should offer and even better experience the EXPENSIVE bunch. These are places you'd love to play but if you'll likely never get to all them.

Really only ever doable for tournaments/ charities again, and Vacations/ Special Occasions. These are the cream of the crop places that take so much convincing and negotiating with my wife that they become cost prohibitive.

Would love to hear your thoughts?

I tend to play a lot of my golf during the week - either here or when I'm traveling for work. First year back in NH my go-to course was  Breakfast Hill in Greenland NH. I'd put it in the Good Value/Cheap category - can usually walk it for under $40 on weekday, under $50 on weekends. 

Haven't played Stow Acres on the weekend since the 80's, but even back then I remember it being the Bataan Death March of golf - 5 hour minimum at least. Weekdays it's much better and not terribly expensive.

The really expensive courses - $100 or above - those are special occasion/1 or 2 times a year events for me. Have thought about joining a private club, but can't seem to pull the trigger. I do get to travel a lot for work, and the wife doesn't mind if I bring by sticks along, so I get to play in other parts of the world which satisfies the itch for new and different. 

And.....coming up the end of May will be another trip to Scotland - one full week at St. Andrews!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I tend to play a lot of my golf during the week - either here or when I'm traveling for work. First year back in NH my go-to course was  Breakfast Hill in Greenland NH. I'd put it in the Good Value/Cheap category - can usually walk it for under $40 on weekday, under $50 on weekends. 

Haven't played Stow Acres on the weekend since the 80's, but even back then I remember it being the Bataan Death March of golf - 5 hour minimum at least. Weekdays it's much better and not terribly expensive.

The really expensive courses - $100 or above - those are special occasion/1 or 2 times a year events for me. Have thought about joining a private club, but can't seem to pull the trigger. I do get to travel a lot for work, and the wife doesn't mind if I bring by sticks along, so I get to play in other parts of the world which satisfies the itch for new and different. 

And.....coming up the end of May will be another trip to Scotland - one full week at St. Andrews!

If you play during the week reach out when you're in Cranston and can cut out a little early.  I play more when I should be working than when I'm not.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

21 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

If you play during the week reach out when you're in Cranston and can cut out a little early.  I play more when I should be working than when I'm not.

As soon as the weather clears brother, we're on!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score

30 years with a few big lapses. Seriously for the last 10 
  2. What do you love about golf?

It's my time outside and walking but it has been turning into being a equipment junkie.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I have been following the review for a few years. Browse the forums at times. No spies that I know of.
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live in Randolph, VT. Montague Golf Club, Randolph
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Vermont is one of the most senic places in the Spring, Summer and Fall to play golf. Winter Sucks!
  6. What do you do for a living?

Full time Firefighter in Burlington
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

Last name and Union Local number

haven't tried butterbrook.
Kettlebrook in the fall is fantastic!  Love that course.
A couple new ones I played last year and really liked - Connecticut National and Acushnet River Valley.... Acushnet was great and I think some of the Titleist folks play there.
Exeter country club in RI, Poquoy Brook is fun.  Stowe acres is great.
Cyprian is tough... narrow and you've got to be on your game.
Waverly Oaks is real nice.

I need to head up towards NH this year.

I love Acushnet, one of the best values around and you get New England style AND links style on the same course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

20 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Will do!

Never played RICC... that's private; how'd you get on so many times?

Played Wachusett 2 years ago.  Fun course and great elevation changes but it can get really windy there!

Buddy is a member there - so got to play it at least 8 to 10 times over the years - once right after the CVS Classic. The stands were still up.  The last 4 holes are on the ocean - really fun. 

Another time got to play with Brad Adamonis - he played on the PGA Tour and made a playoff out of nowhere a few years ago some tourney in the Midwest - he got a ton of TV time. We had a match and he gave me a ton of strokes -- I took two bucks off him. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

1. How long have you been playing golf?  Since 1972. What’s your handicap or normal score? Went from 31 in 1974 to a low of 15 in 1988 & now about 25.

2. What do you love about golf? Getting out with friends or my wife and enjoying the great outdoors. Although I love watching it on tv almost as much.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Love the reviews! Do you already know any other Spies? nope

4. Where are you from? Cumberland, RI. What is your home course? Not a member anywhere, but have played Richmond CC, Exeter CC, Meadowbrook CC & Cranston CC  in rotation with some others scattered in as a member of a local league for 20-30 years but not right now anymore.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? So many good courses to play in relatively good weather. Not too hot as long as you get out early in the dog days of summer. Golfed in San Antonio last summer, man was it hot. I find it frustrating to lose balls in the leaves playing in the fall.

6. What do you do for a living? Office manager A/R, A/P etc. for Performance Piping a HVAC Mechanical contractor.

7. How’d you pick your user name? No creativity, it's my name.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: New England Region

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. How long have you been playing golf?  Since 1972. What’s your handicap or normal score? Went from 31 in 1974 to a low of 15 in 1988 & now about 25.

2. What do you love about golf? Getting out with friends or my wife and enjoying the great outdoors. Although I love watching it on tv almost as much.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Love the reviews! Do you already know any other Spies? nope

4. Where are you from? Cumberland, RI. What is your home course? Not a member anywhere, but have played Richmond CC, Exeter CC, Meadowbrook CC & Cranston CC  in rotation with some others scattered in as a member of a local league for 20-30 years but not right now anymore.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? So many good courses to play in relatively good weather. Not too hot as long as you get out early in the dog days of summer. Golfed in San Antonio last summer, man was it hot. I find it frustrating to lose balls in the leaves playing in the fall.

6. What do you do for a living? Office manager A/R, A/P etc. for Performance Piping a HVAC Mechanical contractor.

7. How’d you pick your user name? No creativity, it's my name.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 11:21 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm interested in the badges too... Is this something I can do or do I need a mod to do it?

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8