Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New England: ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

41 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Massachusetts taking over! Watch out California @GolfSpy SAM and transplant floridians @Rickp

I'm from CT, so...I'm secretly hoping you guys win.  SO THAT I CAN LAUGH AT YOU WHEN IT'S 83 HERE IN MID-FEBRUARY!!!

giphy.gif

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Welcome @ParMan42! I was born in MA (Winchester) grew up in NY and NJ and have lived in RI for the past 38 years. Haven't played NECC in a long time, but given the layout, it doesn't suprise ment that 6 hour rounds are possible.

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

I miss NH golf. Since I moved to Ocala Florida, I miss Canterbury Woods and Pembroke Pines. 

I hit the ball often, but play when ready, carry my putter to the next tee and rake the bunkers like I was never in .

@ParMan42 in echo of others, welcome to the forum.  I don't hold preference for frosty weather against anyone here 😁  That whole "winter" thing gives those courses a break from guys like Mark digging troughs in the fairways all summer 🤣 

Just kidding @Lacassem

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

3 hours ago, Subdiver1 said:

@ParMan42 in echo of others, welcome to the forum.  I don't hold preference for frosty weather against anyone here 😁  That whole "winter" thing gives those courses a break from guys like Mark digging troughs in the fairways all summer 🤣 

Just kidding @Lacassem

Onky troughs I dig are when my wedges are zipping back into the cup buddy!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 11/29/2023 at 3:41 PM, GolfSpy SAM said:

I'm from CT, so...I'm secretly hoping you guys win.  SO THAT I CAN LAUGH AT YOU WHEN IT'S 83 HERE IN MID-FEBRUARY!!!

giphy.gif

Can’t believe we let a west coast into this east coast thread….and no you can’t claim CT as East coast 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

On 12/1/2023 at 9:33 PM, Lacassem said:

Onky troughs I dig are when my wedges are zipping back into the cup buddy!

I figure. Which is why I expect to be given strokes 🤣

• 1 month later...

Looking to take a long weekend golf trip in NH for my bday in end of April with a few friends. We’re looking at staying in North Conway and looking for any. Course recommendations. We are trying to play 9-18 on a Friday, 18 Saturday, 9 Sunday. What’s good in the area?

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

I gather you've done this before? North Conway is far enough north and high enough in elevation that there could still be snow on the ground in late April (I skied Tuckerman's on Mt Washington in late May). 

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

@PrismFlopper Unfortunately several of the courses are closed until mid May in that area(depending on weather). The following is a short list of some of the courses in the area. My top recommendation is Mt Washington Golf course which offers both an 18 and 9 hole course. Beautiful views and the iconic hotel on the property. It’s probably 1/2 hour drive to course from North Conway. Another picturesque course in Conway is Hales location (9 hole course) and North Conway country club. 

:callaway-small: Jaws 58 wedge

:callaway-small:Paradym 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, AW, GW

:callaway-small: Paradym 3wood, 5wood, 7wood and Driver

:odyssey-small: White hot OG Seven putter

It's a bit early in the season.  Try southern NH , Owl's Nest in Campton,  About an hour from N Conway.  Canterbury Woods ( my old home course before moving south) Lochmere in Tilton or Ridgewood in Moultonborough.  Bald Peak is an awesome course if you can weasel your way on as it is very private. 

I hit the ball often, but play when ready, carry my putter to the next tee and rake the bunkers like I was never in .

On 1/7/2024 at 7:54 AM, BobBC78 said:

I gather you've done this before? North Conway is far enough north and high enough in elevation that there could still be snow on the ground in late April (I skied Tuckerman's on Mt Washington in late May). 

We played a round last year and it wasn’t great but yeah my buddies mentioned Nconway and you all bring up a lot of great points especially with how wet it’s been this year

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

2 hours ago, PrismFlopper said:

We played a round last year and it wasn’t great but yeah my buddies mentioned Nconway and you all bring up a lot of great points especially with how wet it’s been this year

If they are open North Conway CC is a solid course with great views. It’s felt but the views of surrounding mountains is incredible 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

Hi all, glad to be part of the forum.

How long have you been playing golf? Started in my 30's, then stopped for 10 years until I retired a few years ago. What’s your handicap or normal score? ~15, now an 18 with all the water I'm finding on the FL courses I play...

What do you love about golf? Being outside and trying to get better on every shot, every round!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Friends told me about it and I use MyGolfSpy for the great reviews - don't know any other spies.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Half the year on Cape Cod (play the two Dennis courses usually) and half the year in Wellington, FL (play the four Palm Beach County courses usually)

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best? tons of courses around. Worst? With the horse season starting in Wellington, harder to grab tee times.

What do you do for a living? Retired and on a few boards.

How’d you pick your user name? 1,000 years ago (seems like), our first emails were on a Banyan network (remember them?) - you were limited to 8 characters as a user name and we used 7 letters of your last name and your first initial, so.... polanowj and I've used it for everything since~

-----------------------------------------------------
Driver -  :taylormade-small: Qi10 9.5°, Ventus VeloCore
3W -  :taylormade-small: Sim2Max 15°
3H -  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed 19°
Irons -  :titleist-small: T300 4-AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 54°, 60°
Putter -  :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven S Putter
:Arccos: sensors 

1 minute ago, Polanowj said:

How long have you been playing golf? Started in my 30's, then stopped for 10 years until I retired a few years ago. What’s your handicap or normal score? ~15, now an 18 with all the water I'm finding on the FL courses I play...

What do you love about golf? Being outside and trying to get better on every shot, every round!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Friends told me about it and I use MyGolfSpy for the great reviews - don't know any other spies.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Half the year on Cape Cod (play the two Dennis courses usually) and half the year in Wellington, FL (play the four Palm Beach County courses usually)

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best? tons of courses around. Worst? With the horse season starting in Wellington, harder to grab tee times.

How’d you pick your user name? 1,000 years ago (seems like), our first emails were on a Banyan network (remember them?) - you were limited to 8 characters as a user name and we used 7 letters of your last name and your first initial, so.... polanowj and I've used it for everything since~

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the game! Your story sounds exactly like mine (not playing for 10-years then picking the game back up when you retired).

2 minutes ago, PolanowJ said:

Welcome!  Our first network that I helped setup in the USMC was Banyan Vines network. 

Hope you enjoy the forum and post a lot. 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Been a member a while, but hadn't noticed this New England thread and I really just lurk here.  I tend to participate a bit more regularly at GolfBuzz and GolfWrx.

How long have you been playing golf?  I started the year I turned 30 (I'll be 58 this year) in an after work league.  Really didn't play much at all until I hit my 40's and even then not a lot.  I started playing a bit more the last 10 years.

What’s your handicap or normal score?  Currently at an 18.  Last year was a bad year although I did shoot a 79.  I don't have a "normal" score as I have always been streaky.  When I play regularly (or practice regularly) I start playing decently (I was down to about a 12 at one point), but I haven't been able to do that lately. 

What do you love about golf?  Everything really.  I love the friendly competition and the fact that players with vastly different games can compete. I love the feel of a flushed shot.  I even love building golf clubs which I've done for over 20 years.....winter can be long here.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I've been on MGS since it started, but just reading and lurking.  I probably know some Spies from other golf forums.

Where are you from? What is your home course?  Born and raised in CT.  I have been a member at Pequabuck in Bristol for the last 6 years.  It's a semi-private course that no one knew about until the pandemic created a golf boom.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  I love that many New England courses have a lot of character.  The bad is that we have a relatively low amount of courses with respect to # of golfers.  Also many courses (including mine) are woodsy tight; it's amazing how my driving distance increases when I travel to courses that are much more open.  I think the pandemic may have saved a few courses including mine, but it's also made it hard to get tee times and like everything else costs have increased significantly.

What do you do for a living?  Director of Sales and Marketing for a small mfg co.  We mainly make position measurement sensors and I started my career as an engineer so I enjoy the technology side of golf.

How’d you pick your user name?  Growing up my nickname was KC (my initials) and then in college for Electrical Engineering a dorm mate started calling me KC Double E and I for some reason I started with KCEE as a username online.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4w

Callaway Rogue X 5h

Taylormade P770 6-PW

Callaway MD5 52, 56, 50

Toulon Las Vegas H7

13 hours ago, KCEE said:

many courses (including mine) are woodsy tight

Welcome to the forum.  Funny you mention this.  I grew up playin one particular muni that had some really tight areas through the trees.  I haven't played there in several decades, but I fondly recall hunting through the trees for errant drives.  In some ways I compare every course to that one.  Looking at Google Earth I see that they have removed a ton of trees that used to line and constrict the fairways.  I thought I recalled several other courses that were as tight, or tighter than that particular course, and a quick look at GE makes me wonder how I ever found my way off those courses without first completing Land Nav.  Welcome and I hope you get an early spring to start the golf year.

• 4 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 

I’ve been playing off and on for about 8 years now, but started playing seriously about 2 years ago. I recently moved into an apartment that has a golf simulator and have been working hard to improve my game. I’m sitting around a 15 handicap now. 

What do you love about golf? 

I served in the Army for a long time, and golf has become a great way for me to spend time with a couple of guys I served with. It’s great to get outside, ignore the stressors of everyday life for a bit, and have some friendly competition. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? 

Found MGS while looking for some equipment reviews and found what seems like a pretty welcoming and thoughtful community, so I figured I’d stay! 

Where are you from? What is your home course? 

Born and raised in Boston and just recently moved back a couple of years ago. I don’t have a home course per see, but play many courses in the area. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? 

Well, there’s the winter. And we don’t have many options for cheaper rounds.

What do you do for a living? 

I finished grad school a couple years ago and I’m now working as a consultant. 

How’d you pick your user name?

I love a good pun. 

Mostly PING G425 at the moment 

9 minutes ago, ParPatrol said:

I’ve been playing off and on for about 8 years now, but started playing seriously about 2 years ago. I recently moved into an apartment that has a golf simulator and have been working hard to improve my game. I’m sitting around a 15 handicap now. 

I served in the Army for a long time, and golf has become a great way for me to spend time with a couple of guys I served with. It’s great to get outside, ignore the stressors of everyday life for a bit, and have some friendly competition. 

Found MGS while looking for some equipment reviews and found what seems like a pretty welcoming and thoughtful community, so I figured I’d stay! 

Born and raised in Boston and just recently moved back a couple of years ago. I don’t have a home course per see, but play many courses in the area. 

Well, there’s the winter. And we don’t have many options for cheaper rounds.

I finished grad school a couple years ago and I’m now working as a consultant. 

I love a good pun. 

Welcome! What courses have you played locally?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

Welcome! What courses have you played locally?

Thanks! I have a close friend in Scituate, so I’ve played Widow’s Walk a bunch with him. I try to get out to Red Tail once a year. I’ve played Granite Links a couple of times, but usually end up playing George Wright. 

2 minutes ago, ParPatrol said:

Thanks! I have a close friend in Scituate, so I’ve played Widow’s Walk a bunch with him. I try to get out to Red Tail once a year. I’ve played Granite Links a couple of times, but usually end up playing George Wright. 

George Wright is on the VGA Massachusetts tournament a lot. Have not gotten there yet. Do the same for red tail and shaker hills once a year.

lots of folks local on here will have to try to get a round in sometime 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

On 12/1/2023 at 9:32 PM, Subdiver1 said:

Just kidding @Lacassem

I am definitely one of those trying to play at least 1 round each month in NE. I am also a trough digger all summer, so the rest for closed courses is a good thing!

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

Hi Folks - New guy from about 15 miles north of Boston. 

• I have been playing for about 30 years...right about the time I figured out that 5'5" QB was pretty ineffective at a HS that runs the option.  

• The people you meet and the friends you make chasing a tiny white ball around so pretty incredible landscapes. 

• Been reading the reviews for a long time, and want to participate in the community. 

• I live just north of Boston and play most of my rounds at Meadow Brook in Reading MA.

• Best - Fall golf and the variety of course styles we get to play.
  • Worst - Short season 

• I am a data and analytics consultant for a large HCM company based in California. 

• It was my twitter handle at my first job and has just kinda hung around ever since. 

Bonus Round: Course Goals 

• Pinehurst 
  • Tobacco Road 
  • Beth Page 
  • That one in GA
  • Bandon 
  • Pine Valley 
  • Paynes Valley 
  • Winged Foot 
  • Congressional
  • Oakmont 
  • The Old Course 

WITB Changes with my mood: 
G430 Max 10K 
TSR 3W
TSR 7W
P7MC 4-PW
Vokey SM9 52,56,60
Odyssey OG Jailbird 

19 minutes ago, mpsalary said:

Hi Folks - New guy from about 15 miles north of Boston. 

• I have been playing for about 30 years...right about the time I figured out that 5'5" QB was pretty ineffective at a HS that runs the option.  

• The people you meet and the friends you make chasing a tiny white ball around so pretty incredible landscapes. 

• Been reading the reviews for a long time, and want to participate in the community. 

• I live just north of Boston and play most of my rounds at Meadow Brook in Reading MA.

• Best - Fall golf and the variety of course styles we get to play.
  • Worst - Short season 

• I am a data and analytics consultant for a large HCM company based in California. 

• It was my twitter handle at my first job and has just kinda hung around ever since. 

Bonus Round: Course Goals 

• Pinehurst 
  • Tobacco Road 
  • Beth Page 
  • That one in GA
  • Bandon 
  • Pine Valley 
  • Paynes Valley 
  • Winged Foot 
  • Congressional
  • Oakmont 
  • The Old Course 

Welcome! Great list of courses there — I’m going to Pinehurst next month and couldn’t be more excited. 

On 1/7/2024 at 1:33 AM, PrismFlopper said:

Looking to take a long weekend golf trip in NH for my bday in end of April with a few friends. We’re looking at staying in North Conway and looking for any. Course recommendations. We are trying to play 9-18 on a Friday, 18 Saturday, 9 Sunday. What’s good in the area?

NoCo will not be open for greens fees until May. Generally nothing else in the area will be playable either. Maybe Indian Mound but I am not sure. Places further south would better. Birch Hill CC (used to be Ridgewood CC) should be with decent views and I usually play The Oaks early. If you want to drive all over, Nonesuch River is also usually open.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

Hi guys! New Hampshire guy here. In my bag I am rocking:

Driver- Taylormade R9. Stiff 9 degree

3 Wood- Taylormade R9 

5 Wood- Taylormade R9 

Irons- Burner 2.0 (4-PW)

Wedges- Vokey SM7 50 degree

-Taylormade Milled Grind 56 degree

-Taylormade Milled Grind 60 degree

Putter- Ping Ally or Odyssey arm lock

Taylormade R9 9 degree

Taylormade R9 3 Wood

Taylormade R9 5 Wood

Nike blades 4-P

Titleist Vokey Sm6 50 

Taylormade Milled Grind 56, 60

Ping Ally/ Oddessey Armlock

Evening all. Brand new guy to the forum today, wanted to introduce myself to get things started. I've lived in NH almost my entire 52 years, now living on the Seacoast but originally from the Upper Valley. 

I've been playing golf since the early 90s. I actually started playing to get exercise/walking to rehab a broken leg while in the Army. My first ever round was played in Germany and I've been hooked ever since. I played pretty regularly for about 10 or so years, and even worked part time in the pro shop at a small 9 hole track for 3 or 4 years.  For the last 15 years I haven't played or practiced enough to say so. We were busy with everything sports and school related until the kids all graduated. 2023 was the first time in forever that I played more than twice. It's time to get back at it MUCH more regularly this coming year. I have lessons planned already for spring, and I'm in the process of a full bag fitting. My hope is to play enough to qualify for a GHIN handicap again. Last time I had a card was in 2006 I think. At that time I held a 9 handicap. 

The few rounds I played last year were inconsistent, but really sparked the desire to be back on the course more often. I'd estimate I'm probably around 14 or 15 now. Mostly my short game touch and putting are killing my scores. 

What do I love about golf?  Almost everything really. 

What brought me to MGS? I was researching irons and found the site. I really enjoy the unbiased and "real world" reviews of everything. I'm still learning the site and just recently found the forum section. 

Where am I from and home course? NH Seacoast. I don't have "home course" but enjoy several of the local courses quite a bit. I play Pease regularly, I really enjoy the "new" 9 hole Blue course more than the original 18 but they're okay and work for regular rounds. Breakfast Hill is a nice course in Greenland, and will be a regular stop this year. I've been lucky enough to play Wentworth by the Sea also, which has some challenging, quirky holes with great views. My favorite NH course is Owl's Nest. It's really a phenomenal course and the views are crazy! 

What do I do for a living? I've been a Firefighter/Paramedic for 25+ years. I also work part time in an archery pro shop. My schedule at the fire department affords me the chance to play more mid week than most, avoiding the busier days. 

How did I choose my user name? It's the beginning of my first ever email address. It comes from firefighting lingo. 

Now that I've written that long winded novel for everyone's entertainment, I look forward to participating in the forums. I also look forward to getting to know some of the members on here and maybe get the chance to meet up and play new courses together. Thanks for taking the time to read all this. If you've got any questions, fire away! 

Walt

WITB: Taylor Made Sim2 Max Driver, TM Jetspeed 3 wood, TM Rescue 2 17° hybrid, TM Rocketbladez Tour 3-G, Cleveland Tour Action 900 56° and TA 588 60° wedges, and one of 3 putters(whichever one I roll the least crappy that day).

On 1/7/2024 at 1:33 AM, PrismFlopper said:

As others have said, you may be hit or miss with courses being open that far north, that early. If you guys aren't super set on North Conway, staying further south may be a better bet for playing instead of driving an hour or so plus to play. If we don't get crazy snow between now and then, most of the state from Concord south should offer more bang for your buck. Concord also offers a lot of course options within 45 minutes in any direction. Southern NH and Maine along the I-95 corridor offers a good selection of nice course within a short drive. From the NH/MA line it's only an hour to Portland. Enjoy the trip, and if you have any questions I'm sure the crew here will be more than happy to help out. If you change destination, let us know. Especially as it gets closer and we can give you a better idea of courses that are open and worth playing in that area. 

Walt⛳

Walt

WITB: Taylor Made Sim2 Max Driver, TM Jetspeed 3 wood, TM Rescue 2 17° hybrid, TM Rocketbladez Tour 3-G, Cleveland Tour Action 900 56° and TA 588 60° wedges, and one of 3 putters(whichever one I roll the least crappy that day).

11 hours ago, Box3_53 said:

Evening all. Brand new guy to the forum today, wanted to introduce myself to get things started. I've lived in NH almost my entire 52 years, now living on the Seacoast but originally from the Upper Valley. 

I've been playing golf since the early 90s. I actually started playing to get exercise/walking to rehab a broken leg while in the Army. My first ever round was played in Germany and I've been hooked ever since. I played pretty regularly for about 10 or so years, and even worked part time in the pro shop at a small 9 hole track for 3 or 4 years.  For the last 15 years I haven't played or practiced enough to say so. We were busy with everything sports and school related until the kids all graduated. 2023 was the first time in forever that I played more than twice. It's time to get back at it MUCH more regularly this coming year. I have lessons planned already for spring, and I'm in the process of a full bag fitting. My hope is to play enough to qualify for a GHIN handicap again. Last time I had a card was in 2006 I think. At that time I held a 9 handicap. 

The few rounds I played last year were inconsistent, but really sparked the desire to be back on the course more often. I'd estimate I'm probably around 14 or 15 now. Mostly my short game touch and putting are killing my scores. 

What do I love about golf?  Almost everything really. 

What brought me to MGS? I was researching irons and found the site. I really enjoy the unbiased and "real world" reviews of everything. I'm still learning the site and just recently found the forum section. 

Where am I from and home course? NH Seacoast. I don't have "home course" but enjoy several of the local courses quite a bit. I play Pease regularly, I really enjoy the "new" 9 hole Blue course more than the original 18 but they're okay and work for regular rounds. Breakfast Hill is a nice course in Greenland, and will be a regular stop this year. I've been lucky enough to play Wentworth by the Sea also, which has some challenging, quirky holes with great views. My favorite NH course is Owl's Nest. It's really a phenomenal course and the views are crazy! 

What do I do for a living? I've been a Firefighter/Paramedic for 25+ years. I also work part time in an archery pro shop. My schedule at the fire department affords me the chance to play more mid week than most, avoiding the busier days. 

How did I choose my user name? It's the beginning of my first ever email address. It comes from firefighting lingo. 

Now that I've written that long winded novel for everyone's entertainment, I look forward to participating in the forums. I also look forward to getting to know some of the members on here and maybe get the chance to meet up and play new courses together. Thanks for taking the time to read all this. If you've got any questions, fire away! 

Welcome! You can sign up for a handicap whenever you're ready. Don't need to qualify. www.ghin.com

Played Owl's Nest in 2009 and I still remember the holes. Unreal!

Hope your full bag fitting goes well. Post in the what have you bought lately thread and share your experience. 

Great to see another New England service member on board. Hang on for the ride!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024: