TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Greeting from South Central PA. 

I have been playing golf since the early 90s mostly as a weekend warrior though I have managed to engage in an annual boys trip to MBC.

I shoot high 80s to low 90s normally though I did pull a 80 out of the hat two years ago when I missed a birdie putt for 79.

the last year has seen me golf less because of the 14 month old that runs my life (joke) but I’m expecting to play more this year.

In my bag you’ll find a Ping G20 driver, a Rogue 3 wood, a Bobby Jones hybrid, Mizuno Irons supplemented by one old Cleveland 56 degree and one call away 60 degree wedge. Along with a Yes Sophia putter and whatever ball I’m trying out now.

No home course really as I’m a muni-lover!

Edited by Oriole68

Greeting from South Central PA. 
I have been playing golf since the early 90s mostly as a weekend warrior though I have managed to engage in an annual boys trip to MBC.
I shoot high 80s to low 90s normally though I did pull a 80 out of the hat two years ago when I missed a birdie putt for 79.
the last year has seen me golf less because of the 14 month old that runs my life (joke) but I’m expecting to play more this year.
In my bag you’ll find a Ping G20 driver, a Rogue 3 wood, a Bobby Jones hybrid, Mizuno Irons supplemented by one old Cleveland 56 degree and one call away 60 degree wedge. Along with a Yes Sophia putter and whatever ball I’m trying out now.
No home course really as I’m a muni-lover!

What part of south central pa?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been golfing on and off since 12, just getting back into it this year will living back near my golf buddies. I shoot in the 90's just your normal weekend duffer

2. What do you love about golf? Just getting out on the course and turning off all distractions and forgetting about everything for a few hours

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Found you on Youtube so now im here. And use to live not far from newport news so thats cool.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Philly I have no one main course but I do love Mermaid its a little 9 hold course. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? prices for what you get some of the local course are not the best and charge like they are. 

6. What do you do for a living? Project Manager 

7. How’d you pick your user name? I think you all can figure it out lol. 

Edited by PhillyGolfer

1. My name is Chris and I started playing golf when my mom got me a series of lessons when I was 9 years old. Even though I started when I was younger I did not get into it till I was in high school. My 1st job was a cart boy at this place called Mountain Manor in Marshalls Creek PA (Which is no longer there) and I played for the high school team. Now I'm 26 I have a 4.5 H.I. (average 74-78 a round)

2. I love golf for the challenges you face, the architecture, and the cool people you meet.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy is years of reading the reviews and I want to add my point of view, be involved in testing, talking to other "spies" and learning some of the hard facts.

4. I am from the Pocono Mts in PA . My home course was The Architects Golf Club in Phillipsburg, NJ but now I have recently switched to Buck Hill Golf Club in Buck Hill Falls, PA (a Donald Ross design).

5. Best things about this area for golf is the history having a lot of clubs from the early 1900's-1920's. Including places like Shawnee on the Delaware hosting the 1938 PGA Championship and years later Arnold Palmer meeting his wife there. The worst thing about the area is the short season. When winter comes most of the places shut down by mid November and don't open to late March or early April.

6. I am an Assistant Golf Pro and I am working on my accounting degree (Just in case a career in golf doesn't work out)

7. I picked this user name because its a pun of my last name that my one friend came up with. It made me laugh so I always use it when I can. Its stuck around for the last few years. Even used it as my team name in my Masters pool picks this year and ended up winning.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Mid-Atlantic Region

New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

I'm heading towards retirement at 58 years old, just started learning two years ago. I do not have a legitimate handicap, because I've only complete 27 holes. The best thing about golf is the mathematical and geometrical challenge of the game. I stumbled upon the MyGolfSpy site and value the reviews. I'm born and raised in NYC..., my home course are the public courses of NYC until I can gather the yearly membership fees that are required to join private courses.

The best thing about golf in the NYC region are the total number of public courses to choose from within 100 miles of my address, this number is close to 150! The worse thing about the region now is we don't have a normal spring anymore, global warming has turned this part of the country's weather into an unpredictable mess of chilly, rainy weather.

I'm a Computer Technician working for the City of New York.

1. First club when I was four, really started playing about 10, 13 Handicap right now trying to get to single digits

2. Being outdoors, with friends and the challenge of getting better. 

3. Followed on instagram for a while, not sure if I know other Spies but interested in the community.

4. Northern Virginia, not home course per say but play at least once a year at East Potomac and Old Hickory.

5. Best is lots of good courses within an hour and half, worst is no year round golf.

6. Government IT

7. Been a name I have used since college

Used the results of the putter study and found my new favorite club in the ZB2. Looking to contribute and help other out with idea, thoughts and experiences. 

Ping G400 SFT 10.0 adjusted up .6 Adilla 60-S shaft

TaylorMade R9 Irons (4-9) standard loft and lie, KBS Steel Shafts

Ping Glide Wedges (47, 52, 56, 60)

Ping Sigma2 ZB2

Right handed

Northern Virginia

13 Handicap

Howdy all. My name is Tim Schoch. Originally a New Jersey boy, I've been in VA for 4 years, living near Charlottesville. I'm a retired book author, writer, copywriter, and marketing professional. I've written about golf for GolfWRX and various publications going back into the 1970s. I won a golf magazine writing contest and a week's worth of lessons with Hank Haney, and until recently ran a golf blog. 

I still play older clubs because I simply can't find anything that is much of an improvement, and I've purchased many other iron sets and drivers for testing. The experience was rather eye-opening, and the big benefit is my confidence in my current set-up is rock solid. I don't doubt that anything else can make much of a difference, and that is a good feeling when I'm grinding over a putt for a 50-cent birdie. 

At my age and with my game playing only once or twice a week, my handicap in a given year can vary from 10 to 15. Currently it has been holding at 12.  Nice to be here.

WIMB RH
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Mizuno MX-23 forged irons, 4-P, Dynalite Gold regular steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36"
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Welcome to the site and the local thread to all the recent guys that posted their intro.   We typically have a couple MD/VA/PA outings a year.  We have yet to schedule our first one.   They have been in the Central MD area for the most part due to that's where the bulk of local spies are, but we are looking to get more members involved in it this year, so we're open to suggestions and dates that work for most. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, DejaGolf said:

Howdy all. My name is Tim Schoch. Originally a New Jersey boy, I've been in VA for 4 years, living near Charlottesville. I'm a retired book author, writer, copywriter, and marketing professional. I've written about golf for GolfWRX and various publications going back into the 1970s. I won a golf magazine writing contest and a week's worth of lessons with Hank Haney, and until recently ran a golf blog. 

I still play older clubs because I simply can't find anything that is much of an improvement, and I've purchased many other iron sets and drivers for testing. The experience was rather eye-opening, and the big benefit is my confidence in my current set-up is rock solid. I don't doubt that anything else can make much of a difference, and that is a good feeling when I'm grinding over a putt for a 50-cent birdie. 

At my age and with my game playing only once or twice a week, my handicap in a given year can vary from 10 to 15. Currently it has been holding at 12.  Nice to be here.

Greetings from the chilly, rain soaked Midwest - glad you joined us. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

12 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Welcome to the site and the local thread to all the recent guys that posted their intro.   We typically have a couple MD/VA/PA outings a year.  We have yet to schedule our first one.   They have been in the Central MD area for the most part due to that's where the bulk of local spies are, but we are looking to get more members involved in it this year, so we're open to suggestions and dates that work for most. 

Sounds good. My son lives in Lutherville. Keep me up to date. 

WIMB RH
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Mizuno MX-23 forged irons, 4-P, Dynalite Gold regular steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36"
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

On 5/10/2019 at 3:56 PM, BennerDoneThat said:
  1. My name is Chris and I started playing golf when my mom got me a series of lessons when I was 9 years old. Even though I started when I was younger I did not get into it till I was in high school. My 1st job was a cart boy at this place called Mountain Manor in Marshalls Creek PA (Which is no longer there) and I played for the high school team. Now I'm 26 I have a 4.5 H.I. (average 74-78 a round)

2. I love golf for the challenges you face, the architecture, and the cool people you meet.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy is years of reading the reviews and I want to add my point of view, be involved in testing, talking to other "spies" and learning some of the hard facts.

4. I am from the Pocono Mts in PA . My home course was The Architects Golf Club in Phillipsburg, NJ but now I have recently switched to Buck Hill Golf Club in Buck Hill Falls, PA (a Donald Ross design).

5. Best things about this area for golf is the history having a lot of clubs from the early 1900's-1920's. Including places like Shawnee on the Delaware hosting the 1938 PGA Championship and years later Arnold Palmer meeting his wife there. The worst thing about the area is the short season. When winter comes most of the places shut down by mid November and don't open to late March or early April.

6. I am an Assistant Golf Pro and I am working on my accounting degree (Just in case a career in golf doesn't work out)

7. I picked this user name because its a pun of my last name that my one friend came up with. It made me laugh so I always use it when I can. Its stuck around for the last few years. Even used it as my team name in my Masters pool picks this year and ended up winning.

I love architects, great course

I started playing in elementary school.  Then stopped playing for many years and have been playing for 10 years at a par 3 course in Essex county.  I actively volunteer for golf events such as the PGA in Springfield,the  Barclay's that is now the Northern Trust.  Every week I play in a ladies league with other senior citizens like me.  

1. I've been playing on and off for 15 years or so. I play bogey golf, I have never kept a proper handicap

2. Golf provides so many different opportunities. It's a good way to get away with your buddies, meet some new people, or get out by yourself and get some peace and quiet

3. I've been on golfWRX for most of my golf career, I took a break from the game a few years back, and when I got back into it all I found MGS to have some good reviews on the new products in a market that was unfamiliar to me

4. I am from Wilmington, DE, and I play all up and down the state, but will not shy away from Southeastern PA, Northeastern MD, etc. I travel a lot in the summers which extends my reach a bit

5. In the more metro areas, you see mediocre/bad courses getting away with high greens fees, and they pack tee times in and it drives me nuts. Not to mention I've seen a lot of private clubs go by the wayside

6. I teach high school science. Physical Science for 9th graders and Physics for 12th graders. 

7. I was in a fraternity in college (Phi Kappa Psi) and Huey was my nickname, 222 being my badge number. 

On 2/19/2019 at 9:47 PM, ballplayer002003 said:

4.  I live in Delaware and play all over the state.  That's the one good thing about Delaware, we are small and it only takes us an hour and a half to go the entire length of the state so it is easy to get to any course.

6.  I am a teacher

Sounds like we've got a lot in common!

:titelist-small: 915 D2 9.5* EvenFlow Blue 65 

:titelist-small: 915F 16.5* EvenFlow Blue 65

:cobra-small: King F8 3 Hybrid Recoil 780 ES

:srixon-small: z545 4i-6i KBS tour 110

:srixon-small: z745 7i-PW KBS tour 110

:cleveland-small: RTX 3.0 54.11 & 58.9

:ping-small: Anser TR 1966

Hi, new to the forum. Currently a resident physician and golf is helping to keep me sane through the long hours. It is a great escape to think about nothing but your next shot for 3 to 4 hours. 

Been playing golf for 20 years with a 10 year hiatus of only 5 rounds over that span after deciding to leave the school team and pursue medical school. Recently starting playing more in the last year and getting my game back together.

currently playing at an 8.6 index which will likely be the apex for the next few years with a newborn on the way any day now. 

Started visiting my golf spy for their data centric reviews. And was introduced to the forum via contests. My borderline (ok actual) obsession with golf will be well served with an outlet like this. Also my wife will be happy to hear less about golf. 

In southern NJ, playing out of rancocas golf club due to cheap membership that allows enough left over money to play other tracts, and balling on a budget. Will play all over the region. We have a wealth of architecture including multiple Donald Ross courses. Unfortunately many are private. Jeffersonville in PA(a public Donald Ross) Scotland run, sea view, Atlantic City cc and ballamore are all pretty good public tracts in the South Jersey region. Downside is snow, but w proper attire can play all winter if no snow on ground. 

I am a resident physician in internal medicine aspiring for cardiology fellowship. 

Happy to have this wonderful life of golf introduced at a young age thanks to my Dad. 

Welcome to the new members....glad to have you all aboard, and hoping to see you active around the forums, let us know if we can help you with navigating anything, any questions about how to become testers...although there is a full thread on that, or any questions in general!

Hey everyone! New to the forum, excited to be a part of (probably) my favorite golf site!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

- I started playing golf some time in high school, picked it back up later in college, where I played a lot more. Latley my handicap has hovered between 13-14 (swing by swing/SwingU keeps it for me)
  2. What do you love about golf?

- It is the first non-team sport I've ever played, brings a whole new set of challenges. Everyone takes such a different way to play well, it intrigues me. There is no better feeling than hitting an extremely pure shot, or sinking a perfectly read putt.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

- I've always read the site, just recently found out there was a forum.
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

- Grew up in Maryland, college in Tennessee, now I'm in central Virginia. I don't have a home course, but am trying to find one!
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

- The best thing is it seems like there really aren't any "bad" courses (like the 18 holes for $18 dollars I had in college - which had its own charm). The worst thing is there really aren't any bargains (see above). And any course "close" (within 15 minutes) enough for me to want to join is not just a country club, but are basically unattainable.
  6. What do you do for a living?

- I'm in Sales, actually looking to change companies
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

- Nantz has serenaded me to daytime naps for years, and the story about his burnt toast chart just cracks me up every time. a true legend.

Tommy Armour 845 10.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 3W

:cobra-small: King F7 5W

Sub70 939 3H

Lynx Black Cat //:cobra-small: King F8 5i-GW 

:ping-small: Tour-S 54*/12*

Adams Tom Watson 58*/8*

Tommy Armour 303 Milled Habanero 

On 5/13/2019 at 10:01 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

How about Dela-where?  Ocean City Maryland would be a good spot if anyone would like to come to the beach?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 5/23/2019 at 8:22 AM, Huey222 said:

1. I've been playing on and off for 15 years or so. I play bogey golf, I have never kept a proper handicap

2. Golf provides so many different opportunities. It's a good way to get away with your buddies, meet some new people, or get out by yourself and get some peace and quiet

3. I've been on golfWRX for most of my golf career, I took a break from the game a few years back, and when I got back into it all I found MGS to have some good reviews on the new products in a market that was unfamiliar to me

4. I am from Wilmington, DE, and I play all up and down the state, but will not shy away from Southeastern PA, Northeastern MD, etc. I travel a lot in the summers which extends my reach a bit

5. In the more metro areas, you see mediocre/bad courses getting away with high greens fees, and they pack tee times in and it drives me nuts. Not to mention I've seen a lot of private clubs go by the wayside

6. I teach high school science. Physical Science for 9th graders and Physics for 12th graders. 

7. I was in a fraternity in college (Phi Kappa Psi) and Huey was my nickname, 222 being my badge number. 

Sounds like we've got a lot in common!

Indeed, what school are you at?

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

7 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

How about Dela-where?  Ocean City Maryland would be a good spot if anyone would like to come to the beach?

An Eastern Shore get together would be cool.  A few years back we did it right before memorial day to try and beat the Beach traffic.   

An Eastern Shore get together would be cool.  A few years back we did it right before memorial day to try and beat the Beach traffic.   

Eastern shore is pretty big so you would need more specifics.

All I ask is that you keep us southern Virginia folks in mind when you are trying to find a place.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, Shankster said:

Count me in for Rum Pointe or Lighthouse Sound.

Both are great courses, I would play either one.  Lighthouse has gone down a little bit in recent years but is still a fantastic course.  

7 hours ago, tchat07 said:

I'll be in Bethany Beach in late July so would be down for an OCMD round.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Going to play Bear Trap?  Go into Rehoboth and play Baywood Greens!!!

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Eastern shore is pretty big so you would need more specifics.

All I ask is that you keep us southern Virginia folks in mind when you are trying to find a place.

You know I'm working on something bigger for your area 😉

3 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Going to play Bear Trap?  Go into Rehoboth and play Baywood Greens!!!

Can confirm Baywood is a great course

Tommy Armour 845 10.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 3W

:cobra-small: King F7 5W

Sub70 939 3H

Lynx Black Cat //:cobra-small: King F8 5i-GW 

:ping-small: Tour-S 54*/12*

Adams Tom Watson 58*/8*

Tommy Armour 303 Milled Habanero 

21 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Indeed, what school are you at?

Hodgson Vo Tech in Bear, and yourself?

It's funny, I spend a lot of my summer in Long Neck (Pot Nets) but never take my clubs down. I switch to the sticks that bring things back to you

Edited by Huey222
update

:titelist-small: 915 D2 9.5* EvenFlow Blue 65 

:titelist-small: 915F 16.5* EvenFlow Blue 65

:cobra-small: King F8 3 Hybrid Recoil 780 ES

:srixon-small: z545 4i-6i KBS tour 110

:srixon-small: z745 7i-PW KBS tour 110

:cleveland-small: RTX 3.0 54.11 & 58.9

:ping-small: Anser TR 1966

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You know I'm working on something bigger for your area 😉

Curious minds wanna know 😏

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

30 minutes ago, Huey222 said:

Hodgson Vo Tech in Bear, and yourself?

It's funny, I spend a lot of my summer in Long Neck (Pot Nets) but never take my clubs down. I switch to the sticks that bring things back to you

I'm at Smyrna.  My brother and best friend both live in Bear.