TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Welcome Mey and Morgan, not surprised you found the site by looking for reviews on clubs, between  the Most Wanted Testing and our Forum Member testing which will kick off this spring, we have the most comprehensive reviews of any site...I may be biased, but I've been on all of them, and it's the truth. 

Hope you guys can get out and play with some of the other great members in your area, Morgan, we have several in the SEPA/Northern MD/DE areas, we are going to put together at lesat a couple outings this year.   Keep an eye out for them.

Mey...check out @Jmikecpa on the site, he's up your way and a good guy, we may have some others up there as well. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Hey guys/gals,
My name is Mike, and I currently live in the York, Pennsylvania area. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

-- I just started in October. I played for a year or 2 when i was 18-19 (total of 10 rounds), which was basically an excuse to hang with friends. I am 32 now and hit some balls at a range and ordered a 2nd hand set of clubs a week later. So far i have been to the range and simulator way more than the course. I have played a total of 36 holes. 2 rounds of 9, and 1 round of 18. My first full round of 18 i shot a 102. I just bought a Ghin number and once the season opens in PA i will get a proper handicap.
  2. What do you love about golf?

-- The competitiveness, and the eagerness to get better. So far, golf has a funny way of giving you hope and then just ripping it away randomly. I love that. 
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

-- I found this site while looking for recommendations for clubs and golf balls. Signed up immediately, but have just lurked in the background reading as much as I could.
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

-- I grew up in Western PA, not far from Punxsutwawney (think of the stupid groundhog LOL), but now live in the York, Pa area. I do not have a home course yet, but the 2 that i have been to are Hickory Heights in Spring Grove, PA and then Range end in Dillsburg, PA. I like both, but they are very different. 
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

-- so far, the weather is the worst thing. Cannot golf with snow and its pretty miserable in subfreezing temps. So far, everyone i have met have been pleasant and helpful for a new golfer, so that would be the best thing right now.  
  6. What do you do for a living?

-- I am a hydrogeologist for a company in Maryland. Work with Groundwater. Ironically, the last job i worked on was a New golf course/housing complex in southern Delaware. Crazy how that works, I start playing golf, and my next job is finding groundwater for a golf course. Pretty neat.
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

-- Graduated Penn state in 2010, and Mey123 was my designated name for all things in the PSU sytem (Email etc). 

Another York person!! Yes!!! I’m in Etters. We’ll have to get out for a round. Ever do Royal Manchester?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

At this rate we need to rename the group “Central PA and everyone else”

Very true! 

If you put something together at RM.  I'll see if I can make it up there. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

13 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

Another York person!! Yes!!! I’m in Etters. We’ll have to get out for a round. Ever do Royal Manchester?

I have not at this point. So new, I have only played at Hickory Heights and Range End (and the Chetremon back where i grew up). Would like to get out to all of them around here this year. 

I am going to get out Sunday if the weather holds up though. No set plans on where yet

Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 8- Ping Alta CB Red 55 - Stiff

Fairway: :ping-small: G5 15*  - Black Dot - w/ Ping TFC 100F - Regular

Hybrids: :taylormade-small:   RBZ Tour Rescue - 2 (16.5*) and 4 (21.5*) - w/Taylormade Aldila Rip 65 Graphite - Stiff

Irons: :ping-small: G400 - 5-PW - Black Dot - w/Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges: :Sub70: Forged Black - 50*, 54*, 58* - w/KBS Tour Steel - Stiff

Putter: :ping-small: Heppler Tyne 3

I have not at this point. So new, I have only played at Hickory Heights and Range End (and the Chetremon back where i grew up). Would like to get out to all of them around here this year. 

I am going to get out Sunday if the weather holds up though. No set plans on where yet

I’m in West Virginia this weekend but we’ll get out! I play Valley Green a good bit and work in the Camp Hill area. We’ll have to get out for a round!

Very true! 
If you put something together at RM.  I'll see if I can make it up there. 

Yes!

14 hours ago, PAgolfer2017 said:

I’m in West Virginia this weekend but we’ll get out! I play Valley Green a good bit and work in the Camp Hill area. We’ll have to get out for a round!

I am in. It would be great to meet you and get out together when we can. Only a few of my friends golf and the ones that do are from where i grew up (3 hours away).

Valley green is only about 30 minutes from my house (i live fairly close to Briarwoods golf course(s)), and have heard its a pretty nice course.

I think I am heading out to Royal Manchester Sunday, which appears to just be a few miles south of Valley Green. 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small:   RBZ Tour Rescue - 2 (16.5*) and 4 (21.5*) - w/Taylormade Aldila Rip 65 Graphite - Stiff

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? been playing for 30 years.  Zero Hdcp

2. What do you love about golf? How difficult it is day in and day out.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  to learn more about the equipment.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? NJ and Fiddler's Elbow

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? best and worst is the weather.

6. What do you do for a living? This and that.

7. How’d you pick your user name? College nickname.

Always tinkering

On 1/30/2020 at 8:40 AM, mey123 said:

Welcome Mike!   and small world . . .  I didn't think I'd find anyone on here who knew where Cherry Tree, PA was!  I grew up near there and actually made it back to play at Chetremon last year.   I also live near York now (between Manchester & Dover) - probably not far from you.  Looks like we are getting a nice Central PA group on here.  Feels like we need to get some folks together to hit a course when the weather finally warms up!

WITB:

Driver:  Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

Fairway:  Cobra F6 Baffler 4/5

Hybrids:  Cobra F7 (3/4);  Cobra F8 (5)

Irons:  Cobra F7 OL 6-GW

Wedge:  Cleveland CBX 54*/58*

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force 2

On 2/4/2020 at 10:35 PM, Rwagn4 said:

Welcome Mike!   and small world . . .  I didn't think I'd find anyone on here who knew where Cherry Tree, PA was!  I grew up near there and actually made it back to play at Chetremon last year.   I also live near York now (between Manchester & Dover) - probably not far from you.  Looks like we are getting a nice Central PA group on here.  Feels like we need to get some folks together to hit a course when the weather finally warms up!

Small world is Correct. I grew up in Burnside, about 5 or so minutes from Cherry Tree...   And I agree, would be awesome to meet some of you

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Nice. I grew up in somerset County. Live in Mercer County now. 

Play neshanic and Heron Glen at least 4 or 5 times a year 

Good courses.  Havent played them in a while. maybe over 10 years.

Wk

Always tinkering

44 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Believe over the 3 years I played we did Forrest and meadow. Don't think we ever played river 

i dont think it was forest because carts are mandatory no matter what.  River and Meadow you can walk. These two courses are the ones right next to the clubhouse.  Forest is over 1/2 mile from the clubhouse.

they did a lot of work on the meadow, especially the back nine. Really tough.  

Wk 

Always tinkering

21 minutes ago, youngwaldo said:

i dont think it was forest because carts are mandatory no matter what.  River and Meadow you can walk. These two courses are the ones right next to the clubhouse.  Forest is over 1/2 mile from the clubhouse.

they did a lot of work on the meadow, especially the back nine. Really tough.  

Wk 

Almost 20 years ago so hard to remember.  I remember trees

Hello, I am an avid golfer from the Philadelphia area and I run a website called Ready To Play Golf.  

My passion is to play more golf and to create this tool that helps me and golfers like me find a match or a partner when in need.  My site is unique in the sense that it does not work like a dating site which was all I could find during my research. It's an ad posting site, like a classified ad to play golf.  You only put yourself out there when you want to. You can't just search people and contact people in an odd way. I’m looking forward to participating on this forum as a golfer first and foremost but I had to tell you about my site because that’s part of who I am and I think it would be beneficial to a lot of people on here. It’s free to join.  www.readytoplaygolf.com

I am in. It would be great to meet you and get out together when we can. Only a few of my friends golf and the ones that do are from where i grew up (3 hours away).
Valley green is only about 30 minutes from my house (i live fairly close to Briarwoods golf course(s)), and have heard its a pretty nice course.
I think I am heading out to Royal Manchester Sunday, which appears to just be a few miles south of Valley Green. 

You get out to Royal Manchester? If so how’d you like it?

Hello All!!! An Introduction..Ok, lets see what the Old Man can come up with....

1. I've been playing golf since I was 14 (1974). The first course was a par 3 course called Iron Wood located in Conneaut Lake, Pa. I don't remember the exact clubs but they were a Golden Bear set I bought with mowing and paper route money. Since then, I've golfed close to 20-25 times a summer her in PA. up until 4 years ago when my lovely wife became my Ex. because she thought the proverbial grass was greener on the other side of the street. We won't go into how that has turned out for her. Anyways, I have been in a Tuesday night league for 27 years with the same partner carrying a 4-5 handicap for 9 holes. The last 2 years I've also played in a Wednesday afternoon league with 3 guys that are mid 70's to mid 80s and one guy I went to High School with (we're both 60). Both leagues are fun. The Wed. League we play 18 as a 5-some with the first nine just for money (Bingo, Bango, Bongo). I'll just say the old guys are experts at taking quarters in the games.  My 18 hole handicap has hovered around 8-10 the last few years. Since my divorce, I play the 2 leagues, sub in another, and usually get out 2 more days each week. For years I played clubs I built using GolfSmith components. I finally was fitted and bought a set as my divorce gift to myself which has greatly helped my game. When the reviews say you should upgrade clubs every 3-5 years because for the technical advancements, do it! I never believe that until I started playing my new Pings. More control and more distance...it was unbelievable.

2. What do I love about golf? I guess the fact I can get out with my friends and just have a great time. Also, I'll go myself a lot just to play courses in the tri-state area I've never played before. 

3. I found MyGolfSpy by accident when I was looking for reviews on various equipment.  Some of the reviews have benefited me immensely. I don't know any other Spies but I have turned several friends onto the site so maybe that counts. They also thing the information here is very useful.

4. I'm currently from NW Pennsylvania. I don't have a home course per say. I've looked at a membership at several clubs in the area but I like playing different courses and if I get a membership, then I'd be tied down. The courses I play leagues in are Elk Valley, Fairview, Pa. and Venango Valley although the league at Venango is moving to Mound Grove in Waterford Pa. this year.

5. The best thing about golf in this area is the number of courses. There are a lot to choose from. The worst part is the shorter season with it usually ending in October and not starting until mid April.

6. I have worked for the Federal Aviation Administration for the last 33 years.

7. My user name....WWALDO... Where's Waldo...

ward golf (2).jpg

Ping G400 Max @ 9 degrees

Ping G400 Stretch 3W

Ping G400 3i Hybrid

Cleveland 2009 launcher 4i Hybrid (also a 2i and 1i not currently in the bag)

Ping G700 5-9, PW, GW, SW (Green Dot and 3/4" length addition)

Ping Glide-3 60 Deg. LW (Green Dot) (also a Glide-2 58 deg LW and Glide 54 Deg SW not in the bag)

All Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize Grips

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11 Putter 35" w/oversize grip

On 2/8/2020 at 10:16 AM, PAgolfer2017 said:

You get out to Royal Manchester? If so how’d you like it?

Yeah i did. It was pretty cool. It is much different than anything I have ever played. It is a links style course, so there are no trees, which was different for me. I scored terribly, but mostly because I lost so many balls in the fescue. The fescue was short, but the ground was so soft that the balls were plugging and were impossible to find, even ones that missed the fairway by a few feet. If i remove the lost balls and penalty strokes for them, i shot very well for me LOL.

The course itself was very nice, and seemed to be in great shape. layout of the course was really cool as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Mid-Atlantic Region

New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf on and off since I was about 9 years old. I remember going out to the golf course with my dad at least once a week with his work golf league. Ended up playing more baseball, football, and snowsports for the majority of my teenage / high school days but found the game again once I settled down, bought a house, and have a group of friends who all share the passion for the game. Since last year was the first season of playing more than 5 rounds, I shot a 115 my first day....followed up by a 105 two days later. I was happy but felt I could do more. By the end of last season, I shot 96, 92, 89!!....I am hoping something clicked and I can stay in the low 90's / high 80's this upcoming golf season!! 

2. What do you love about golf? I love everything about golf. The rush of adrenaline when you hit a great tee shot...the feeling of a pure fairway strike....even the bad shots (while not great at the time) just makes you want to be a better golfer. Also just getting outdoors and spending a few hours with great friends cannot be beat!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I recently stumbled upon the #NoPuttsGiven podcast while I drive to-and-from work each day, and it gave me a great look into MyGolfSpy. I dont know any other spies (isnt that the point of being a spy?! lol) but I do feel like Adam, Tony, Harry, Sam, John, and Miranda are my first 'Spies' I have come in contact with.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I am from 'upstate' New York, wherever you want to draw that line. Within an hour of NYC, and my home course (2mi. from my house) is Beekman Golf Course, a great 27-hole course with amazing views of the Hudson Valley.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing is most courses are close and relatively cheap, but living in the Northeast, the golf season is TOO SHORT!!

6. What do you do for a living? I am an Architectural Designer for a firm who specializes in K-12 and Higher Education design / construction.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Pretty Simple. My name and favorite number growing up playing sports...The Big Hurt!!

1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png M5 9 deg [Project X Evenflow Black 65g] // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png SIM Max 3w 15 deg [Fujikura Ventus Blue 5-R] // 1818715690_mizunologo.png.362d1f007e2345c895a2a095ac1d19d1.png JPX 919 5i-PW // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png ATV Grind Wedges 52-60 [KBS Tour Steel] // 1455271488_Odysseylogo.jpg.b9b3d31d23a9b217779870779776c15d.jpg Stroke Lab 7 // 1641152206_TaylorMadelogo.png.1a4d69c9e3e98b4a2cc285ddd4f44160.png TP5 // 1818715690_mizunologo.png.362d1f007e2345c895a2a095ac1d19d1.png BRD-4 [Cart-Red-Gray] // adidas_logo_21.png.8b407cf238a5268554c70f59912c11a7.png CodeChaos [White-Red]

1448174426_SuperSpeedLogo2.png.17b2bb92c3fb344ab94e0e85f7419d12.png SuperSpeed 2020 Testing Group

Initial Driver Swing Speed: 95 mph

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? For 30 years on/off- i'm 53 yrs old, have taken it seriously for the last 2 since the kids are older. Play to a 12.5 right now, going to get to single digits by the middle of the summer if it kills me!

2. What do you love about golf? That it is an individual sport. Played team sports my whole life, no matter how much you practiced to improve you are still part of the team. golf is just you against the course. Your work and practice and improvement are yours and not team dependent. Plus nothing better than playing with buddies, sharing some laughs and some cold ones during a casual round.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?Have been following / reading MGS for 2 years and have has a couple posts but thats it. Would love to meet some spies in the area and tee it up some time.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Southern New Jersey - Westwood Golf Club - Shorter course 1 mile from the house

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? best - Lots of courses in the area   / worst - lots of golfers in the area

6. What do you do for a living? Fleet manager(vehicles) for local municipality. I am also a certified club fitter/club builder for the last 20 years with a full golf club repair/build shop at the house. I also work part time at a golf retail store.

7. How’d you pick your user name? born in canada, lived in the states since I was 10. Canadian / American 13 is my favorite number and jersey number i always wore playing sports.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 9* - Diamana white board S
  • :taylormade-small: 3W -  M2 HL 16.5 Diamana white board  X-flex
  • :callaway-small: 19 & 23 deg. X-Hot Hybrids  Fuji Pro 70 hyb S-flex
  • :ping-small:  5-PW I500 - Modus3 105 S-flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0  50,54 & 60 - Custom grinds- ZZ wedge shafts
  • :taylormade-small:  Rosa  34 1/2" winn grip
  • Ball - :bridgestone-small: Tour BX /  Maxfli Tour X
  • :1590477705_SunMountain: 14/5 BAG on a :Clicgear: 2.0
  • :ShotScope:

On 2/9/2020 at 7:44 AM, ACslater said:

@youngwaldo @jlukes  I work In West Windsor and live in Tinton Falls/Neptune area.

AC - Where do you play? 

I grew up in Little Silver in the 80s.  Worked at Rumson Country Club.  Shark River was my high school's home course.  The guys in my dad's foursome at Hominy Hill used to take turns sleeping in their car before Monmouth County instituted the call-in tee time system.

The Monmouth County Park System's golf courses were pretty great, and Charleston Springs hadn't even been built until after I moved away for college.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino