Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

What's up everyone! Long time social media and website user for My Golf Spy.  Sorry just never really got into the forums as much.  Really cool how they break it down by region. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing golf since I was kid playing with my father. Grew up on golf course in MD.  Worked there from 14 to 20 years old.  Spent lots of time fishing golf balls out of ponds as a kid.  I am a 7.3 handicap.  

2. What do you love about golf?- Just love the feeling of the perfect hit.  Regardless of playing many many times, each time is different.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I have been a regular user of the website for a long time 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Cecil County MD.  Play at Chesapeake Bay Golf Club and my work has a membership at MD Golf in Bel Air MD

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? winters can be tough with snow.  Spring tends to be super wet.  

6. What do you do for a living? Banking

7. How’d you pick your user name? my favorite football player growing up was Jerome Bettis even though I am a Ravens fan now. 

On 2/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Mid-Atlantic Region

New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

How’s it going everyone?

My name is Brandon Brooks, and Im a 17-year-old golfer from northern “yee-haw” Maryland. I’ve been playing golf for about 9 years, but didn’t get too serious about it until my freshman year of high school when I tried out for my school’s team. I didn’t play in any matches, but I loved playing every day and dedicated myself to get better. That year my low round was a 45, where I averaged between 49 and 51. My sophomore year my low round dropped to a 42, where I then averaged between 47 and 49. This year my low round is a 40, and I average between 42 and 45 (We only play 9 holes at practice). I have a lot of improvements to make, but I continue to work!

The thing I love about golf is that it allows me, someone born with a rare birth issue, to not be held back by anything except my own mental strength. I have fewer abdominal muscles than most and my kidneys are poor. I can’t play football or lacrosse because its too dangerous to my insides. I was always too slow for basketball or baseball, but Golf was perfect for me. I work at a golf course, play all the time, and love every minute of it.

I came to MyGolfSpy this season when I was looking for new irons. This website helped me to decide on, what I believe, is the best golf purchase I have made. A brand new set of Mizuno JPX919 Forged irons. I always look at the site now when I want to try a new ball or see what company is at the top of their game with the clubs each year. Sometimes I wish Mizuno got more recognition for their woods though :’)

As stated earlier, I am from northern Maryland, in a small town near Westminster. My home course is Oakmont Greens (not the tour course), but I work at a very nice private course called Piney Branch that I will say has the fastest greens I have EVER played.

The best thing about golf near me is that because I am from a small town, the courses I work and play at know me. They know I play for the high school and they know I’m there to improve. The worst part is that most of the courses end up mediocre at best, or the public one at least. Luckily I can play at the private course I work at, but that’s the nicest place around. 

As I am only 17, I go to school and work in the bag room for a living :) Last year my gross pay was $2,500! Almost enough for a simulator to play with at home! Too bad I buy so much McDonalds...

My user name is based off of what many of my friends call me. My name is Brandon Brooks, so they just shorten it to “B Brooks” I like it, so I figured people on this site could refer to me as it as well :)

Thank you all for reading!

Brandon Brooks

C9C2ECC2-4072-4A1A-9890-6A17CFA1B86B.thumb.jpeg.ad0aa9b7c9568571e7e4d2b10b6fa6fa.jpeg

Thinking of stopping all 3 wood use and going with my 4 hybrid.  Any ideas?

What are you losing if you pull the. 3 wood. How often do you use it, what distance gap will it leave, would you use the hybrid more?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hey guys,  been lurking here for a while now but I need to be more involved.  I just recently moved to the Hampton Roads VA area from Clayton NC.  I've been playing golf steady now for a couple of years but I first started when I was 4 or 5 but stopped for a long time when I found baseball.  So about me, I'm a tattoo artist at a shop in Suffolk VA and I've been tattooing for 16 or 17 years.  I play pretty much Cobra everything except for my Odyssey Two-Ball.  I look forward to being more involved and meeting y'all.

Jamey

1. How long have you been playing golf? A Solid 3 Years

2. What’s your handicap or normal score? I'd say around a 92 is my normal score

3. What do you love about golf?  Being outside

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I've been lurking for a while but I'm here for the "articles"

5. Do you already know any other Spies? I believe I do.  Honestly, I'm not sure.

6. Where are you from? Originally from Johnston Co., North Carolina but have recently relocated to Hampton, VA

7. What is your home course?  I don't have one.  But I love The River in Louisburg, NC

8. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  We can play pretty much year round but in the summer the greens suck.

9. What do you do for a living?  I am a Tattoo Artist at The Original Folk City Tattoo in Suffolk, VA

10. How’d you pick your user name?  It's my name and what I do. 

Edited by JameyTattoo
I missed the first post becasue it's all in black

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Since I was little. Was a range rat before I could drive and worked at a golf course as my first job. Took some time away from the game in college-early career, but getting back into it. Currently a 13.8 handicap but was a 7 in HS and looking to get back down to single digits.

2. What do you love about golf? Camaraderie with your playing partners, walking and getting exercise, and bending a course to your will - the last one hasnt happened much since I got back into it.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? The data. I'm a solo spy.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Washington DC. The goat ranch AKA East Potomac.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? How many courses there are  and how expensive they are.

6. What do you do for a living? I work in marketing. Not the scammy kind, the legit kind for a software company.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Portmanteau of my first and last names. been my nickname for as long as I can remember!

• Ping G425 LST 9, Ventus Black 6x
  • Rotating cast of misfit woods and hybrids
  • Srixon z585 Project X LZ 6.0
  • Vokey 54 and 60 12D
  • 2016 Scotty Studio Newport 2.5

I'm from Niagara Falls, NY, but joined this group a few years ago when I lived in NJ for work.

1. Been playing golf for about 20 years, and the last time I had a handicap I was a about a 16. 

2. I love that golf can be played at any age, it's a sport where you can compete against others and against yourself, and as frustrating as the game is, it is also very relaxing walking or riding a golf course with a few beers and a nice cigar

3. Joined the group about 5 years ago, but was not really active in the past

4. Niagara Falls, NY and my home course is a local muni called Hyde Park Golf Course

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best part is that golf is growing and more local courses are starting to become better maintained, which makes golfing more enjoyable. Worst part of golf in the region is you can't play year-round, and the courses don't stay open even if the weather is alright in the winter.

6. Manage an operations center for an energy company

7. My username is just my name...not very creative

On 2/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Mid-Atlantic Region

New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

Been a follower of MGS for a few years now. I enjoy the articles and podcast so now I've decided to join the forum side.

1) I took lessons with Dad around age 7 but didn't start seriously playing until early high school and became hooked. Got my handicap down to a 3.2 last year.

2) I love the mental challenge of the game. It can be the most satisfying game one swing then the cruelest the next. I also like that I can get the same enjoyment playing with a group of friends as I can playing solo.

3) As a consumer, I am a review reader so when I started seeing the MGS Most Wanted stamp on products I got curious.

4) I live in Frederick, MD. I play a lot at Clustered Spires but grew up playing the Montgomery County courses.

5) Pro: I love that there a lot of great courses within a 30 to 45min drive and you can basically play year round if you're willing. 

Con: Even though there are a lot of great courses there are no true golf retailers. I have to travel to Baltimore or Nova to get my hands on a large selection of products. 

6) I am in personnel QA for an insurance carrier. 

7) Don't recall the exact reason but it's my original gamertag. 

Hi my name is Ryan and I'm from Eastern PA

1. I've been playing golf for about 7 years now

1. I love the competitiveness that Golf brings. It was difficult making the transition from youth sports to the working adult world and not having the sports in my life anymore. Golf gave me something to strive to be better at, and it has also brought many challenges.

1. I love the reviews online and I love the unbiased nature. 

1. I am from Eastern PA right outside of Philadelphia. My home course (use to be) Talamore Country Club

1. Courses tend to be very firm. There are more than 10 courses within 10 miles, though, which I greatly appreciate.

1. I am a Financial Advisor.

1. 😉

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9*

Woods: Cobra Speedzone 3w & 5w

Irons: Ping i200 5i - PW

Wedges: Ping Glide Forged GW, RTX Zipcore 56* & 60*

Putter: Axis 1 Rose B

Average score is an 85 and my favorite public course nearby is Jeffersonville Golf Club

Driver:

First driver was a Nike (I don't even remember the model name) and the head flew off mid-round early on in my golf career. 

Next was a Callaway X Hot. I eventually found that I did not like the weighting of the driver, so I moved onto my Dad's Ping G20.

The Ping G20 introduced me to the Ping G lineup of clubs..... which I will get into shortly. After about 4 and a half years of playing I figured it was time to get tested, which later proved to be incredibly helpful and I moved to a stiff shafted driver.

Current driver is the Ping G400 stiff (I forget which shaft & weight). I fell in love with almost everything Ping at this moment

I’m Chad, live in Central PA.  Been golfing now for 30 of my 33 years on earth and have started really falling in love with the game again.  I guess it helps when you buy a house on a course!

Where in Central PA and what course do you live on?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Irons:

About 6 months prior to getting fit for my driver I got fit for my first set of irons. This was roughly 4-5 years into playing golf and I was only about 19-20 years old. At this time I was shooting consistently high 80's, so I knew my game was just barely good enough to make the transition to fitted clubs. 

When I say I went through every brands' clubs.... I literally went through every brand. I must've tested 15+ models of clubs.

Finally ended up with Ping i200's and I absolutely love them

Wedges:

Played Cleveland for a while now onto Titleist Sm6 SW & SM7 LW

Been a follower of MGS for a few years now. I enjoy the articles and podcast so now I've decided to join the forum side.
1) I took lessons with Dad around age 7 but didn't start seriously playing until early high school and became hooked. Got my handicap down to a 3.2 last year.
2) I love the mental challenge of the game. It can be the most satisfying game one swing then the cruelest the next. I also like that I can get the same enjoyment playing with a group of friends as I can playing solo.
3) As a consumer, I am a review reader so when I started seeing the MGS Most Wanted stamp on products I got curious.
4) I live in Frederick, MD. I play a lot at Clustered Spires but grew up playing the Montgomery County courses.
5) Pro: I love that there a lot of great courses within a 30 to 45min drive and you can basically play year round if you're willing. 
Con: Even though there are a lot of great courses there are no true golf retailers. I have to travel to Baltimore or Nova to get my hands on a large selection of products. 
Haha finally I have been waiting for another Frederick person to come through! 2 summers back I played Clustered endlessly. Now I try to mix it up and try to get out to other courses. Definitely going to have to set up a MyGolfSpy social distancing round haha!

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Welcome everyone!  I am sure you guys will love this site!  Everyone is great!  Enjoy from Delaware!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

3 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Haha finally I have been waiting for another Frederick person to come through! 2 summers back I played Clustered endlessly. Now I try to mix it up and try to get out to other courses. Definitely going to have to set up a MyGolfSpy social distancing round haha!

Awesome! Yea, I like Clustered because it never really seems to be that busy and it's almost never an issue to get 9/18 in after work. I was a member at Little Bennett a few years back. What's your favorite course in the area?

Awesome! Yea, I like Clustered because it never really seems to be that busy and it's almost never an issue to get 9/18 in after work. I was a member at Little Bennett a few years back. What's your favorite course in the area?

I had a former basketball player who worked at Little Bennett. Never got the chance to get out there and play. I havent really gotten out yet this year but I probably evenly play between Clustered and Maple Run out in Thurmont.

1 hour ago, tchat07 said:

I had a former basketball player who worked at Little Bennett. Never got the chance to get out there and play. I havent really gotten out yet this year but I probably evenly play between Clustered and Maple Run out in Thurmont.

How is Maple Run these days? I haven't played there in years.

How is Maple Run these days? I haven't played there in years.
How many years you talking because if you are used to before the down trend than it's rough. For me it provides a challenge with some savings. $25 greens fees are hard to come by. I love all the other frederick courses (Worthington, Musket, Maryland National) but at double Clustered and 4 times Maple, I prefer more golf over nicer golf haha.

5 hours ago, tchat07 said:

How many years you talking because if you are used to before the down trend than it's rough. For me it provides a challenge with some savings. $25 greens fees are hard to come by. I love all the other frederick courses (Worthington, Musket, Maryland National) but at double Clustered and 4 times Maple, I prefer more golf over nicer golf haha.

I played in a charity tourney there probably close to 7 years ago lol it was in so so condition then. I agree with you though, the whiskey, Worthington & National courses are good for that one round a year but otherwise are just too pricey to play regularly. I tend to get the majority of my golf in after 4pm for that reason.

Flew into Butter Valley Golf port (PA) today to play 18. Shot +12 on a great day with a decent bit of wind.

Plane golf portrait.jpg

On 6/1/2020 at 12:09 PM, EasyPutter said:

Began playing golf after a lifetime of watching others enjoying it thinking it was too expensive a hobby.  Knew ball striking from high school elective gym class and putting from miniature golf. Army days with available time had me using driving ranges and putting greens until the 29th year of 30 years when I retired.  Trails West GC Pro Brian Flax at Ft Leavenworth had a 4 class offering that gave me the golfing missing link; an on course experience for the etiquette of play, and he also helped with a how-to for inexpensive golf.

A confirmed hack, golf is escape, more mental than physical, the quiet place for peace and leaving stress behind.  I walk with a push cart and switch clubs when they stop working for me (to maintain my 31 handicap!)  I just need to play for exercise and sanity. My first golf club membership is free for lifetime with the Stick and Hack Golf Club, the Greatest Golf Club Without a Course (at stickandhack.com for your browsing pleasure!).  Inexpensive golf is not just pursuit but requirement with demands of family on a budget, to find good deals for quality equipment and courses greens fees.

My Username comes from the reverse psychology I use for anything daunting, change perspective and possibilities change too.  I have been putting longer than any other part of the sport and my putter was the first club I owned to start my golf bag before I had a golf bag.  I am not interested in competing against myself or anyone else for score (horrors to some, relief to others, who cares is the usual response) but I am interested in how well I swing, how the club meets ball, and the result of the two.

Still employed but get onto the course as often as possible.  First year with season pass at Cazenovia GC in South Buffalo, NY just happened to coincide with restrictions of the COVID-19 pandemic.  No matter, getting in the 2 or 3 times a week after work 9-holes I had intended after discovering what was possible at Caz last fall.  With a playing partner who recently retired, it is splendid for exercise and peace of mind.

Cazenovia GC 10.18.2019 1st tee.jpg

Awesome, I have a lot of family in Jamestown and Fredonia.  Welcome

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 5/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, Rylongshot89 said:

I'm from Frederick, went to TJ. I used to play Glade Valley a lot, only played Clustered a few times, would love to get back out there. Welcome to the forum!

Tommy Armour 845 10.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 3W

:cobra-small: King F7 5W

Sub70 939 3H

Lynx Black Cat //:cobra-small: King F8 5i-GW 

:ping-small: Tour-S 54*/12*

Adams Tom Watson 58*/8*

Tommy Armour 303 Milled Habanero 

23 hours ago, JimNantzsToast said:

I'm from Frederick, went to TJ. I used to play Glade Valley a lot, only played Clustered a few times, would love to get back out there. Welcome to the forum!

22 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Alright now all we need is one more Frederick spy and we have ourselves a 4 some haha

Awesome! I went to Gaithersburg high in moco. I've never played Glade Valley, how is it?