TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Welcome back @Lefty Larry I mean Wahoo! 🤣 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

• 3 weeks later...

It been pretty quiet in here so I will start it up again.

I'm a newby here at MySpy.  Love the content and hope to be a tester of something in the future.

Anyway here goes:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?   I have been playing since I was 10 years old.  Currently a 12 handicap but have been as low as an 7.  Best round ever was a 72 at Grande Dunes in Myrtle Beach.

2. What do you love about golf?  The challenge, the joy, the emotion you can feel in one round.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I love the reviews.  I found it originally because I was concerned I had purchased a set of counterfeit irons online.  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Just moved to Olean, NY from Elmira, NY.  Still consider Mark Twain Golf course my home course.  I assure you, It is not a good walk spoiled.  I ran a league there for over 10 years.  It is a great Donald Ross municipal course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  This may be the worst area just because the season is so short.  It is the best because there is nothing that compares to the beautiful scenery of Fall golf in the Finger Lakes of NY state. 

6. What do you do for a living? Software Support Engineer

7. How’d you pick your user name? Nickname and House number.  Kinda lame, I know.

Twain 14.jpg

Edited by Kube107
spelling

Been playing golf for 4 years. Live near Long Beach Island NJ. Try to get out 2-3 times a week! Open to meeting new golfers if anyone is looking for a 4th!

TSI2 Driver. TSI2 3 Hybrid. TSI1 4 Hybrid. T200(2019) 4-PW. Taylormade MG2 48,54,58. Evnroll ER5 putter. 

1 hour ago, Dstebne2 said:

Been playing golf for 4 years. Live near Long Beach Island NJ. Try to get out 2-3 times a week! Open to meeting new golfers if anyone is looking for a 4th!

Nice! We go down there quite a bit during the summer. Sister and brother-in-law met working at Sea Oaks (now lbi national)

used to play sea oaks all the time but also really enjoy Atlantis. And then there’s always going a bit further south to Twisted, Shore Gate, etc 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Seriously, pleasure to be here. I'm new to forums but found out about MGS recently!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• I've been playing off and on for about 20 years, with a big gap of not playing for a good 6-8 years in my teens. I got back into golf as a religion about 6-7 years ago. Doesn't mean I'm that good though, I tend to shoot 90 to mid 80's on any given day. But I breathe golf. I love everything about the game.

What do you love about golf?

• Everything! I love watching it, I love playing it, I love being outside and using it as meditation, I love the architecture, I love seeing my friends play and improve their games. I love the sound of a pure shot and the sound of the ball bouncing around in the hole. Part of me wanted to be a pro (not a touring pro but a PGA pro) but I don't have the energy to commit to doing that; especially now that I have a young daughter.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Love watching the YouTube videos. Helps me keep grounded about my own game and make the little improvements I need. I don't know any other Spies yet, though I imagine there are more around me

Where are you from? What is your home course?

• I'm originally from CT but moved to PA last year. I live in Easton - close to NJ on i78. My home course is the Architects club in Phillipsburg NJ. About 15v mins from where I live.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Best things - the landscape. It's a beautiful area with rolling hills and forests. Great northeast style golf
  • Worst things - Expensive to play and we have a winter season so I can't play all year round

What do you do for a living?

• I actually just quit my full-time corporate job to follow my passion of being a golf coach (not an instructor, but a mindset coach). My goal is to work with passionate casual golfers and help them shoot their lowest scores and get their handicap to where they want it to be. 

How’d you pick your user name?

• See answer above. I'm an aspiring coach and I'm looking to surround myself with the people I can support!

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_20200915_180742.jpg

MVIMG_20181031_172120-01.jpeg

4BB4E461-085E-45FA-BD84-A48AFA7A0AD0.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

50C2445F-EBCE-4ADB-A07D-A70CD72539FB.jpg

4 minutes ago, Aspiring-Coach said:

Hi everyone! Seriously, pleasure to be here. I'm new to forums but found out about MGS recently!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• I've been playing off and on for about 20 years, with a big gap of not playing for a good 6-8 years in my teens. I got back into golf as a religion about 6-7 years ago. Doesn't mean I'm that good though, I tend to shoot 90 to mid 80's on any given day. But I breathe golf. I love everything about the game.

What do you love about golf?

• Everything! I love watching it, I love playing it, I love being outside and using it as meditation, I love the architecture, I love seeing my friends play and improve their games. I love the sound of a pure shot and the sound of the ball bouncing around in the hole. Part of me wanted to be a pro (not a touring pro but a PGA pro) but I don't have the energy to commit to doing that; especially now that I have a young daughter.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Love watching the YouTube videos. Helps me keep grounded about my own game and make the little improvements I need. I don't know any other Spies yet, though I imagine there are more around me

Where are you from? What is your home course?

• I'm originally from CT but moved to PA last year. I live in Easton - close to NJ on i78. My home course is the Architects club in Phillipsburg NJ. About 15v mins from where I live.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Best things - the landscape. It's a beautiful area with rolling hills and forests. Great northeast style golf
  • Worst things - Expensive to play and we have a winter season so I can't play all year round

What do you do for a living?

• I actually just quit my full-time corporate job to follow my passion of being a golf coach (not an instructor, but a mindset coach). My goal is to work with passionate casual golfers and help them shoot their lowest scores and get their handicap to where they want it to be. 

How’d you pick your user name?

• See answer above. I'm an aspiring coach and I'm looking to surround myself with the people I can support!

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_20200915_180742.jpg

MVIMG_20181031_172120-01.jpeg

4BB4E461-085E-45FA-BD84-A48AFA7A0AD0.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

50C2445F-EBCE-4ADB-A07D-A70CD72539FB.jpg

I’m down just South of Princeton now. Grew up in hillsborough. Played architects a bunch. 

you must live pretty close to Morgan hill! Played in a few outings there. Really fun course 

Really looking forward to what you have to say about the golf mental game. Maybe we can get in a round together this fall and you can analyze me on a forum post!

13 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I’m down just South of Princeton now. Grew up in hillsborough. Played architects a bunch. 

you must live pretty close to Morgan hill! Played in a few outings there. Really fun course 

Really looking forward to what you have to say about the golf mental game. Maybe we can get in a round together this fall and you can analyze me on a forum post!

Oh heck yeah, let's do it Lukes! I do live close to Morgan Hill -- that course is a hell of a battle haha

Shoot me a message and we can exchange numbers!

Ok, should have done this long ago, but no time like the present I guess. Love the community here, and would love to join in more. 

• How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I started playing as a youngster, around age 5. Played all through high school, but slowly tapered off in college as golf lost out to other interests, namely, rock climbing. Then my daughter was born 3 year ago, and now I’m back at it. Grint App tells me that I am an unofficial 7 hcp, I think, and trending down, I hope.

• What do you love about golf?

I love being outside, the conversation and low-key competition that golf brings between friends and personally. I’ve walked a lot in the woods and I’d say I disagree with the “good walk spoiled” sentiment. 

• What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I needed to know what was up after a long break.

• Where are you from? What is your home course?

Born in Chicago, made my way to New Brunswick, NJ. I play at all the muni’s around me. 

• What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

the access to decent courses is impressive. The price of admission is tough.

• What do you do for a living?

Practice law

• How’d you pick your user name?

My parents did that.

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

On 9/16/2022 at 11:17 AM, AndySP said:

Ok, should have done this long ago, but no time like the present I guess. Love the community here, and would love to join in more. 

I started playing as a youngster, around age 5. Played all through high school, but slowly tapered off in college as golf lost out to other interests, namely, rock climbing. Then my daughter was born 3 year ago, and now I’m back at it. Grint App tells me that I am an unofficial 7 hcp, I think, and trending down, I hope.

I love being outside, the conversation and low-key competition that golf brings between friends and personally. I’ve walked a lot in the woods and I’d say I disagree with the “good walk spoiled” sentiment. 

Born in Chicago, made my way to New Brunswick, NJ. I play at all the muni’s around me. 

Practice law

My parents did that.

Yes! Another central Jersey muni guy! Let’s me up for a round!

50 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Yes! Another central Jersey muni guy! Let’s me up for a round!

Haha, I always felt under-represented on this forum. Happy to meet up for a round anytime.

3 hours ago, AndySP said:

Haha, I always felt under-represented on this forum. Happy to meet up for a round anytime.

I grew up in Hillsborough. Lives in New Brunswick for a few years with me now wife while she was getting her masters at Rutgers. 

Live just south of Princeton now. 

What are some of your favorite spots to play?

1 hour ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

I grew up in Hillsborough. Lives in New Brunswick for a few years with me now wife while she was getting her masters at Rutgers. 

Live just south of Princeton now. 

What are some of your favorite spots to play?

Right on, I think I looked at a place in Hillsborough. We just moved a little north of New Brunswick, my wife is a professor at Rutgers and I work in the city. Lately I’ve been playing most of my rounds at a 9 hole trek called Hyatt Hills. I like Rutgers and Galloping Hills too, but I’m looking for suggestions honestly. 

14 hours ago, AndySP said:

Right on, I think I looked at a place in Hillsborough. We just moved a little north of New Brunswick, my wife is a professor at Rutgers and I work in the city. Lately I’ve been playing most of my rounds at a 9 hole trek called Hyatt Hills. I like Rutgers and Galloping Hills too, but I’m looking for suggestions honestly. 

Somerset County has some great courses. Neshanic Valley is awesome. Quail Brook is a good time, as is green knoll. Mattawang in Montgomery is always in great shape (I worked there over 20 years ago when I was in HS). Heron Glenn on Route 202 in Flemington is fantastic. 

My “home course” is Mercer Oaks in Mercer County 

Hey Everyone!  My name is Chris and I am happy to join the forum here.  I have been following MGS for a long time but just decided to get involved with posting.  

1. I have been playing golf for 3 years and my Handicap is 17.5

2. What I love about golf is the never ending journey toward improvement, and the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors.

3. I have followed MGS product reviews for a bit now.  I don't know others on the forum but I am happy to be here.

4. I am from Hunterdon County NJ and my home course is Heron Glen Golf Course.

5. The best thing about golf in my region is the number of outstanding course.  The worst is the winter months!

6. I am a full time strength and conditioning coach and I am certified by the Titleist Performance Institute.

7. My username is simply my initials and last name.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21 Rogue Aldila White 130 MSI 60S

3w: Ping g425 Rogue Aldila White 130 MSI 70S

3/4h: Ping G425 Rogue Aldila Black Hybrid 85/95 TS

5-PW: Titleist T200 TT Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50/54/58 TT AMT Black S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

47 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

Welcome in and you are in good company with NJ forum writers here, not me as I'm from the Buffalo NY area but I did spend 6 years at Fort Dix (before and just as it was becoming part of Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst) in my pre-golf life towards the end of my military career.  If I had to move away from NY that is definitely somewhere I felt like I could be.  LBI was 40 minutes away and that whole central NJ area was just great and has better weather annually than my neck of the woods!

Thanks for the reply!  I used to play a lot of Soccer tournaments at Fort Dix.  NJ held their youth state tournament there every year.  It is a beautiful area and I am always happy to give recommendations for anything when or if you ever head this way.

1 hour ago, ccgahagan said:

Hey Everyone!  My name is Chris and I am happy to join the forum here.  I have been following MGS for a long time but just decided to get involved with posting.  

1. I have been playing golf for 3 years and my Handicap is 17.5

2. What I love about golf is the never ending journey toward improvement, and the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors.

3. I have followed MGS product reviews for a bit now.  I don't know others on the forum but I am happy to be here.

4. I am from Hunterdon County NJ and my home course is Heron Glen Golf Course.

5. The best thing about golf in my region is the number of outstanding course.  The worst is the winter months!

6. I am a full time strength and conditioning coach and I am certified by the Titleist Performance Institute.

7. My username is simply my initials and last name.

Another central jersey guy!  HELL YEAH

Heron Glenn is great. My buddy plays there a few times a week - he is in the mens league.  Havent gotten up there yet this year but hope to get there this fall.

Welcome to the forum and hit me up if you ever want to get a round in.  I am down by Princeton!

On 9/16/2022 at 11:17 AM, AndySP said:

Practice law

My parents did that.

Welcome Andy! I'm in the Eastern PA area. I gotta make my way down to central Jersey to meet up with you and @Golfspy_Lukesfor a round!

19 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Another central jersey guy!  HELL YEAH

Heron Glenn is great. My buddy plays there a few times a week - he is in the mens league.  Havent gotten up there yet this year but hope to get there this fall.

Welcome to the forum and hit me up if you ever want to get a round in.  I am down by Princeton!

Thanks, I will!  Heron Glen is an awesome course. I hope you get a chance to get over there. 

23 hours ago, inner_game_coach said:

Welcome Andy! I'm in the Eastern PA area. I gotta make my way down to central Jersey to meet up with you and @Golfspy_Lukesfor a round!

Thanks, I was looking up some of the courses he mentioned and I’m really excited to check them out. 

I'm a weekend warrior because of work, and I’d love to get out there with you guys sometime. Neshanic and Quail Brook are really close to me and seem like great tracks. 

Let's see if I can cover the points here:

• WITB
    • Driver-
      • Callaway Rogue ST set at 9.5 Tensei Blue stiff
    • Fairway Woods-
      • Callaway Epic Max 3W-Hazardous Smoke IM10 Stiff
      • Callaway Epic Max Heaven Wood -Hazardous Smoke IM10 Stiff
    • Irons
      • Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW-KBS Tour 120 Stiff
    • Wedges
      • Cleveland 54 & 58 RTX Zipcore
    • Putter
      • Evnroll EV5
  • How long have I been playing -typical score/handicap
    • I have played a few times per year for the past few years and this year finally have gotten into a groove of playing weekly which really helps compared to going out and hacking
    • When things are working well I get below 90 as i won't blow up a lot of holes.  The touch has improved a lot it seems and when the driver works well the approaches are close enough that I don't need much more than a 7 or 8 iron.  On the par 5's I have wised up and will hit a FW Wood only from a good lie and try to not crush it.
  • What I love
    • I love spending the time outside.  I love the grind and challenge of getting better and the technology aspects of the equipment.
    • I also like knowing that I can hopefully play for a long time with people older, younger, more or less skilled
  • I like MGS for the data and unbiased information
  • I have moved around a lot but call Lancaster PA home.  A lot of nice courses nearby and the weather is mild compared to the North East.  I anticipate enjoying longer seasons.
  • I work as the Director of Operations in an industrial product manufacturing business

Thanks all who contribute to many topics--if not always accurate, it is almost always entertaining!

• Driver-:titleist-small:- TSr3 9* -Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6-X 
  • Fairway - -:titleist-small: TSr2 15*  3 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • Fairway - image.png.48336341476630da4be4ad7cac012b8a.png- TSr2 18*  5 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • UDI- :ping-small:- iCrossover Utility Driving 3 iron Project X HZRDUS Red 6.0 sometimes  :Sub70: -699 Pro 4 -22* Driving Iron UST Proforce V2 Stiff
  • Irons- :srixon-small:- ZX4 MK II 5-7, Srixon ZX5 8-P Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 X-Stiff
  • Wedges-  :cleveland-small:- RTX Zip Core 50*, 54* Nippon Modus 3 Wedge, 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
  • Putter- :EVNROLL: - ER5v Short Slant
  • Ball-  Bridgestone Tour B X
  • Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Anyone want to play Friday morning in central NJ?  

Yes, but I'm not in Central NJ. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I know ... WV isn't on this thread but ... 

Anyone want to play Saturday morning at Locust Hill in Charlestown, WV?  I have a tee time for 2 more people at 10am.  Last time I checked there weren't anyone else on the time.  It was a 'Hot Deal' on GolfNow, so you save a bit there.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

@Golfspy_Lukes made a good point to let everyone know WITB - so here I am.

• Driver
    • TM Sim 2 Max 10.5 - Tensei Orange Stiff shaft
  • Hybrids
    • 5H - TM R5 19 degree
    • 4H - Srixon Z H65
    • 3H - Callaway Rogue X
  • Irons
    • 5i to 9i - TM M4
  • Wedges
    • PW - TM M4
    • AW - TM M4
    • 56 - Top-Flite 56/14 bounce
  • Putter
    • Peak 502 (a very old blade that's never done me wrong)

• 1 month later...

The most important mental skills for golf

When you’re playing well, what are you thinking about during your swing? I’m willing to bet it’s nothing at all. You’re seeing the target and making an instinctive swing. Conversely, when you’re playing badly, what are you thinking about during your swing? I’m sure it’s some technical instruction or you’re consciously working on preventing mistakes that might have occurred earlier in the round.

From my experience, too many swing thoughts are one of the biggest causes of inconsistency. But let me explain why this is the case.

So much of what is required in golf is about trust. Bobby Jones once said, The golf swing is too complex a movement to be consciously controlled.

When you trust yourself to perform an action you are using what’s called your “subconscious” mind. You consciously learned the skill until you were able to do it naturally. Now when you perform one of these actions, there’s no conscious thought going on. In fact, if you started consciously thinking about the actions involved, you would probably confuse yourself and struggle to do it.

There are 3 things you need to develop to reach your potential as a golfer.

1. Conscious skill development.

If you have a good process, you’ll be able to clearly separate your conscious thinking, from your “subconscious” thinking. In other words, you give conscious thought to picking the target and visualizing the type of shot required, so your subconscious, has all the information it needs to control your movement during a shot. Then it becomes about trusting your subconscious to do its job, without conscious interference.

2. Access those skills using only your subconscious mind during your swing.

I’m not saying you can’t have a “swing-key” which is a single non-technical thought that will help you counter things that you might do under pressure, like tempo, smooth takeaway, or staying centered. Make it a process goal not to have any swing thoughts during a round and make your focus external, not internal i.e. what you want the ball to do, not what your body must do.

3. Keep your hands from getting cold when playing golf in winter.

Because when the hands feel cold, it is really easy to get stiff, and in this case, it will definitely affect the swing, which may be a more important point than learning mental skills. Many golfers will prepare the Ocoopa Union 5S rechargeable hand warmer in their pockets when playing golf in winter, it’s better than the disposable one. It can continue to heat for 15 hours without interruption, keeping your hands warm all the time without affecting your performance.

Hope that when your experience accumulates to a certain level, you can use your subconscious to swing a beautiful shot, and keep your hands warm in this cold winter, making more nice swings!

ocoopa4.png.f5c427ead6a7d1454747a7da6e32bcdc.png

My goal is to be thinking of nothing, but sometimes I start overthinking and have to tell myself to "Shut The F**k UP!!" It seems to work. If I let it go, my mind will just start rattling along, telling myself how to swing, how hard to swing, yakkity yakkity yakkity. I have learned to let my brain rattle on until I get over the ball. If it insists on taking over, I am toast until I get it to just shut up. It seems to work...mostly. Then I take a deep breath and just go.

51FFDWm513L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Full PXG + Evnroll

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...