TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

MGS New Member Introduction: Mid-Atlantic Region

New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

16 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

I think this could lead to regional MGS get-togethers!  Happy to play along.

1. Since about age 12 when my mom bought me a set of Tommy Armour Silver Scott's at a local Goodwill to keep me occupied and out of trouble.  I played in and around the farms surrounding my house every day.  I didn't play my first actual golf course until I was 19.  I haven't kept a score or handicap in a number of years.  That's just not what I want from the game these days.
  2. Golf is cathartic!  It's my therapy from a career that has become nothing short of a bureaucratic nightmare.  I deal with local and state government officials that often have no clue what is required by local, state and federal law in terms of design standards.  They come to us wanting to build a new school or provide utilities for a proposed new big box store.  When we give them a breakdown of what would be required by law, they lose their minds.  Imagine adding a new school or big box retailer to your neighborhood water and sewer system!  The result would likely be catastrophic!  But most people don't think about those things when new construction is proposed.  They see the revenue a new big box retailer would bring to the area but rarely have any idea of the infrastructure needed to support it.
  3. Content on other message boards is driven by sponsorship dollars.  They lack integrity as a result! 
  4. Galax, Virginia - Blue Ridge Country Club
  5. The best would be abundance of quality golf at affordable rates.  The worst would be many of those same facilities wanting to be "exclusive" or offer more amenities than they should.  It has led to the demise of some really great golf courses. 
  6. Civil Engineering Design
  7. Childhood nickname

On 2/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Hey Spies, guess I will give this a shot.

1.  I've been playing golf off and on for probably 20 years.  I've started to take it seriously the last three years, working on improving my game and trying to lower my handicap.  It is frustrating at times but I guess that's why we love this game!

2.  I love the challenge, the internal battle.  The way you have to think about various shots.  I love being outside on beautiful courses.  I love playing with my friends.  I could go on and on!

3.  I found My Golf Spy by accident.  I started reading a few posts and articles and decided to join.  I am pretty new here but love all the info I am able to get and the feedback I get from members with any questions I may have.

4.  I live in Delaware and play all over the state.  That's the one good thing about Delaware, we are small and it only takes us an hour and a half to go the entire length of the state so it is easy to get to any course.

5.  The best thing about golf in this region is the amount of courses I have access to, and the cost is still pretty cheap.  I hate though the fact that it has been so wet this year and we can't get out.  The courses don't have enough time to dry out and some courses are losing holes due to this.

6.  I am a teacher

7.  I used to play baseball and 00 was my number

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I have been playing since high school but didnt get actually serious until about 5 years ago. Handicap is currently 11.

It's a game that no matter how many times you play it will never be the same. It can change from hole to hole and constantly presents challenges. I also love that its universal, the whole world plays and anywhere you go there will almost certainly be golf.

I have been following the social media side of golf pretty closely for a few years now and was introduced via that. I have not met any Spies but I'm sure will see plenty this year.

Frederick MD. Dont have a specific home course will play many different in the area.

Best thing is there are plenty of courses and they all have different settings. Worst thing is this fickle lady called mother nature whose about to drop a couple inches of snow tomorrow and dropped rain on us for like 40% of 2018.

I work at a college in athletics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?    Since 2011.  Handicap 19ish, mid 90's on avg. 

2. What do you love about golf?  That feeling when you hit the sweet spot while on plane and the ball just goes, home run!  Or when that tough putt gets drained.  I also love the sunshine, the walk, being outside, being able to drain the negativity and stress from my head by being so focused.  Meeting new people and having a blast together. 🙂

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I don't know any personally but I recognize familiar names from being here long enough.  I cant remember what brought me here, an equipment review most likely.  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Morristown,  NJ.  Basking Ridge CC. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best:  the cheap county courses are actually in quite good shape, and have nice challenging layouts.  Worst:  The cheap county courses are packed, lol.  And the weather and daylight savings killing fall pm rounds.    

6. What do you do for a living?  Mechanical Engineer for survival.  Snowboard builder for living  :).   

7. How’d you pick your user name?  The Knights Who Say 'Ni!', from Monty Python and the Holy Grail :).  One of the greatest movies of all time.  

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

13 hours ago, tchat07 said:

I have been playing since high school but didnt get actually serious until about 5 years ago. Handicap is currently 11.

It's a game that no matter how many times you play it will never be the same. It can change from hole to hole and constantly presents challenges. I also love that its universal, the whole world plays and anywhere you go there will almost certainly be golf.

I have been following the social media side of golf pretty closely for a few years now and was introduced via that. I have not met any Spies but I'm sure will see plenty this year.

Frederick MD. Dont have a specific home course will play many different in the area.

Best thing is there are plenty of courses and they all have different settings. Worst thing is this fickle lady called mother nature whose about to drop a couple inches of snow tomorrow and dropped rain on us for like 40% of 2018.

I work at a college in athletics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That bold part above is certainly true, we will play this year, Studque and I have already started talking about a DMV area spring together.  So keep an eye on this thread.    And I love all the courses out your way, so I'm sure i'll head out a time or two at least for a round, and will let you know.    

And by all means all DMV and any other area Spies are always welcome to come out to Compass Pointe and provide me an excuse to get out of my office and onto the course!! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I’ve been playing since I was 5 but I’ve hockey took over most of my time growing up. Really focused on golf after college. 

Current handicap is around a 9 looking to get it down to a 5 this year. 

Favorite part about golf is walking the course with some buddies and enjoying four hours outdoors. Hitting a great shot isn’t bad either!

learned about mygolf spy just by search the web for some golf gear I was looking to buy and loved the thesis. 

Im from Pittsburgh and the best thing here is we have some great courses and even though private if you live here you can get on. Played Oakmont a ton of times. Seems like if you have some good friends there it make it simple.

i am a consultant helping business owner exit their companies

Username has been the same since I was on AIM back in elementary school

I have been playing off and on since I was 22 after being discharged from the Navy.

Current handicap is 24, hopefully will be lowering it this year since I retired last April.

Moved to the Collegeville, PA area last summer and what I love about golf is the people I meet, being outdoors and the constant challenge for improvement.

There are a lot of golf courses in my area, most of them will be new to me.

I am a retired accountant, I worked for a logistics company for 13 years.

My nickname is not for take mulligans, in the past I took forever to make up my mind, i.e. mull over my purchases, hence Mullyman was my CB handle.

Greg from buffalo NY. Love to be a tester. Would be nice to see how far some of the new drivers and new distance balls can handle this cold weather

Steve from the Baltimore area, been a spy reader for the past couple years. Enjoy the unbiased reviews. No home course but I mostly play the city and county course as well as the MG C courses. Looking forward to a mid-Atlantic using if it happens

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

3wood: Titleist 917F

5 wood: Titleist 917F

irons Titleist T350 5-pe

hybrids Taylormade 4 

wedges: Titleist SM8 50/54/58

putter: Scotty Cameron Newport slotback

1. I started playing golf in 1997 when I was 25 yo.  My handicap in 10.2, and I shoot in the low 80s at 6400 yards.
  2. I love the ball in flight when you hit the shot as you imagined it.  I really geek out on course design too.

3. I haven't met any Spies yet, but I know they're out there.  I was looking for a review of the Precision Pro laser, and I found that at this site. 

4. I'm from the Philadelphia suburbs, and compete in the Golf Tour of Greater Philadelphia GTGP.  Check us out on golftourphilly.org!

5. There's a lot of public golfers, but not a lot of public courses.  There's so many historic courses in the region. 

6. I'm an Event Planner for a local University.

7. Shawnee180 was my original Aol user name, back in the day.  Easy to remember.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 

Startes playing about 3 years ago... getting more consistent at playing now

What do you love about golf?

I love the statistics behind it... the minor movements to make big changes.... i have a skytrak for that reason... love to see groupings etc.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

i love the unbiased testing and reviews. And i do not.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

From nj originally but live in MD. Home course is Bowie GC

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Too expensive. Like all of the dc area

What do you do for a living?

law enforcement 

How’d you pick your user name?

i dont remember what my username is. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

My father cut down old clubs that he didn't use anymore when I was around 10 and just practiced till I was 13 - 14. Played with used clubs until I was 27. For past 27 years have played 0 to 3 times a year. For past 25 years I typically shoot around 95.

What do you love about golf?

The challenge to improve on consistency and thereby improve my score.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Found it looking for unbiased reviews on drivers. No I don't know any other spies.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Originally from New Hampshire but currently live in Allentown, PA and play mainly at Allentown Municipal Golf Course.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

There are a number of courses within 30 minutes that are reasonable. No natural grass driving/practice range tee areas.

What do you do for a living?

Retired as of November 1, 2018.

How’d you pick your user name?

User name is from when I first got on the internet in the mid 90's.

Great to see all the newer Mid-Atlantic members.   We have at least a couple informal get togethers in the MD/NOVA area each year.   

Nothing on the books yet, but we might try for something in late April to Early May.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I been playing golf consistently for about 4 years after my grandfather first taught me how to play when I was little. My current handicap is 14 and I would love to see that drop to 10 by the end of this year.

I love the challenge it presents with the balance of precision and power but also the camaraderie between fellow golfers

I originally can to MGS to gain a greater understanding behind the game and maybe catch a few tips to help lower my scores and further enjoy the game. Sadly I don’t really know any other Spies.

I’m from Buffalo NY, and play many different places. Usually between Attica CC and Cazenovia Park GC for my home courses.

My trade is strength and conditioning, mainly for athletes but I also work with kids and adults. I recently finished a certification in Golf Fitness that I’m start to apply in my own workouts and seeing some great results.

My username is nothing fancy, just my name and some numbers but it’s always been the same.

P.S. I would love to meet some of you and play a couple rounds if at all possible. Love playing new courses with good people.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

New member alert! Live in NJ home course is Packanack GC, handicap 15. Been playing 25 years (jesus writing that next to my handicap is depressing,  really should be better than that) The weather is the worst part of golfing in this area. I'm a manager in communications industry,  the nickname has been for a long time. Would love to test some new wrenches, that's the main reason for joining. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Roughly 15 years seriously. 12

1. What do you love about golf? I love getting out with buddies, being semi competitive and getting outside for an extended period of time. I have three daughters that keep me busy and golf is my only hobby outside of my family. I really enjoy my league I’m in.

2. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I’m a golf junkie and a gear head. I love reading about new technology coming out and seeing differences from previous versions of clubs. When new stuff releases I go up to Golf Galaxy and hit all the new equipment and shafts, I’m just fascinated by it all. So in my research I came across MyGolfSpy. My buddy works in the Marketing Dept for Golf Galaxy/Dicks Corporate and I ask him a ton of questions and get some great insight on things when he and I are out on the course.

3. Where are you from? What is your home course? Pittsburgh, PA. I don’t really have a home course, I have a few I play frequently, QuickSilver, Blackhawk, Fort Cherry And Ponderosa. But my golf league I’m in we play all around the area for our league and do a year end trip.

4. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is the amount of courses you can play and get to, being so close to Ohio is nice, there’s a lot of nice course across the border and you get a better bang for your buck and courses are generally flatter without as many elevation changes/as severe of elevation changes. Worst part is the season isn’t long enough!!!! I need to move south!

5. What do you do for a living? I work for a Healthcare Provider.

6. How’d you pick your user name? Nickname buddies called me in college, shortened to just Pretzel. We all have ridiculous nicknames.

Edited by PretzelMelts

• 2 weeks later...

I have been golfing on and off the last 30 years. A friend of mine from church asked me to play a round, and I've been hooked. i don't play as much as I would like, trying to help take care of my 91 year old Dad.

For me, golf is my getaway, my stress relief.

I found my golf spy by accident, and I'm glad i did!

I live in SWVA and mostly play Holston Hills in Marion, VA. I really like Draper Valley Golf Course, too!

I work for a trailer manufacturer at the present. A great company to work for.

I am a fan of the Steelers!

I play a mixed bag of name brands, Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Mizuno clubs and Bridgestone, Callaway, and Srixon balls.

Hi All, I'm from NJ, run a for-fun golf group, and enjoy traveling (for golf too). 

• I've been playing golf for going on 11 years? I'm currently a 9 (trending 10) handicap

• Golf is a great escape from the city life.  I love the good shots especially after a bad shot, that sand save, and the friends I have made and play with.

• I've been receiving the MyGolfSpy emails for years but never signed up.  Figured i might as well, right?

• I'm in Northern NJ.  Don't really have a home golf course as I am always playing a different course.

• NJ has some great courses.  Downside would definitely snow

• I do IT Help Desk, part-time at United Airlines, and run a Golf group on meetup.com called Avid Golfers of NJ

:ping-small: G400 Max Driver

:taylormade-small:M2 5-Wood and 3 Hybrid (2017)

🅿️ ✖️ G (Missing logo) 0311P 4-AW

:titelist-small: SM7 50* and 56* Wedges

:callaway-small:px

45 minutes ago, jestrella18 said:

Hi All, I'm from NJ, run a for-fun golf group, and enjoy traveling (for golf too). 

• I've been playing golf for going on 11 years? I'm currently a 9 (trending 10) handicap

• Golf is a great escape from the city life.  I love the good shots especially after a bad shot, that sand save, and the friends I have made and play with.

• I've been receiving the MyGolfSpy emails for years but never signed up.  Figured i might as well, right?

• I'm in Northern NJ.  Don't really have a home golf course as I am always playing a different course.

• I do IT Help Desk, part-time at United Airlines, and run a Golf group on meetup.com called Avid Golfers of NJ

Welcome!  

I am from Mercer County (grew up in Somerset County) and love playing different courses too.

Where do you find yourself playing most of your rounds?

I'm usually playing in North West (Beaver brook, Berkshire Valley, Bowling Green, Architects, Crystal Springs courses, etc) and Central NJ (Colts Neck, Eagle Ridge, Lakewood, Neshanic, Charleston Springs).  Also play other courses and an occasional trip to AC.  Love playing Twisted Dunes though there are plenty great courses in the south. 

How about you?

3 hours ago, jestrella18 said:

Welcome from Delaware.  Where in Jersey are you, my wife's family is in Clifton.

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Hello fellow golf nuts.

I am an avid golfer playing in 2 weekly leagues and the Golf Week Amateur tour. I am an 11 handicap and changed to single length clubs this season to try and get I to single digits.

My name is Timothy and I have only been playing golf since 2007. I have a 14 handicap. I enjoy the social aspect of golf. Meeting new people and enjoying the fresh air. I found this forum out of sheer boredom by accident. I am from Hallstead, pa. Home course would be Conklin players club. The weather is aweful and it effects play in this area in the spring. I am a 13 year veteran in law enforcement. I am a huge fan of Turd Ferguson skits and norm McDonald. I spelled the name wrong when creating this profile for golf spy and didn't realise it till after i posted it. I don't get out as often as I want to because of a difficult work schedule. I started off with a Boscovs special Top Flight golf set in 2007 for $300! I then moved to Calloway razr x club set with a "block of cheese" putter that I found at a yard sale (1950s putter). My golf bag now has the following clubs:

titleist 917 D2 driver

titleist 913 F3 wood

titleist 915 F5 wood

taylormade m2 irons 4 to pw with project x 6.0shafts

titleist vokey wedges 52,54,60

Taylormade daddy long legs putter.

I'm working on consistency as I was self taught.

On 4/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, ballplayer002003 said:

Welcome from Delaware.  Where in Jersey are you, my wife's family is in Clifton.

BallPlayer, I'm in Jersey City so pretty close to Clifton.  Do you play up here sometimes? I've played in MD but have not played in DE before.

On 4/26/2019 at 11:30 AM, jestrella18 said:

BallPlayer, I'm in Jersey City so pretty close to Clifton.  Do you play up here sometimes? I've played in MD but have not played in DE before.

I have never played up there, I would like to though.  What are some nice courses around the area that I should look into?

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I have never played up there, I would like to though.  What are some nice courses around the area that I should look into?

I would definitely check out Berkshire Valley Golf Course and Neshanic Valley Golf Course.  There are plenty others but these are really nice. 

Hey new to here a frequenter on another site. 

from branchville new jersey, started playing golf in 2016 when i moved back up this way and bought a house. this season i have been walking a lot to cut down some weight so my best option is farmstead golf and country club, they have 3 9s to choose from or play all 3. always down to meet up with other golf addicts so shoot me a pm and we can set something up. i am a shop foreman for a gasoline/jet fuel  trucking company. 

-chris