TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Hi people of the internet and Mygolfspy land! 

I've been a forum member here since 2018, but I figured I'd reintroduce myself.  🙂 

My name's Doug and I live in NJ.  Here goes:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Since fall of 2011.  Got to a low 14.x toward the end of last summer, (high 80's-low 90s).  Hoping to keep it trending down.  At my age 46, I'd be stoked to get to 10 and keep it there 🙂 

2. What do you love about golf? Smashing the crap out of the ball.  No, really.  The feeling of that perfectly struck shot that goes forever.   And, of course, sharing rounds with friends or meeting new people.  The health aspects of walking 18, and being outdoors. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I probably was curious about some driver or irons.  Maybe the Mizuno JPX 825 review, specifically, as they have been my go-to irons since. I personally know a couple spies but they don't post much.  I haven't met any others in person. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? NJ, USA.  Home course was Basking Ridge, but we're currently being vetted to join Mendham Golf & Tennis club.  

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best...I'd say the courses get really, really green in the spring.  Worst is the humidity, bugs, and well, I have winter activities that make me tend to forget about golf for a few months 🙂.  Very much into snowboarding.  🙂 

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a mechanical engineer, mainly creating and modifying solid models and drawings for our components.  I'm also co owner of a small snowboard brand, Blak Sheep Snowboards.  🙂 

7. How’d you pick your user name? It comes from the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  If you know, you know 🙂 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I started playing in 2000 during college and played pretty regularly up until having my first kid in 2010. Between, family, work, and coaching, I probably played 1-2 time per year until this past spring when a local club was running a membership special so I joined and have been getting out at least 9 holes once per week since then. My current handicap is a 13.4 and typically score in the mid 80s.

2. What do you love about golf? I love being outside in general and golf also feeds my passion of working towards a goal (currently trying to break 80 at my home course). It also has given some of my friends and I a good chance to reconnect and meet up more regularly.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I always enjoyed the website and No Putts Given YouTube videos, but haven't really worked through the forum until recently. I have enjoyed following new threads and even reading old ones. As far as I know, I don't know any current Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Originally from outside of Philadelphia, but have settled in Delaware. My home course is Patriots Glen in Elkton, MD.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Within 90 minutes there are a lot of good public courses to choose from spanning many different price ranges. That is definitely the best part. The worst part is the winter, makes it tough to get out for weeks or months at a time...I know other regions have it much worse!

6. What do you do for a living? I am a middle school teacher and also coach basketball.

7. How’d you pick your user name? My name plus sports numbers....not very original.

:honma: TW747 460 Driver 9.5° (Honma Vizard 50 S)

:adams-small: Idea Insight Tech 3 Wood 13° (Matrix Ozik 60 S)

:taylormade-small: Rescue Mid 19° 3h (FCM Precision Rifle 115 5.5)

:taylormade-small: Rescue Mid 22° 4h (Precision Lite Metal 95 R)

:srixon-small: Z765 5i-PW (Project X 120 6.0)

MALTBY TE Forged 51° GW (FST 115 S)

MALTBY M-Series+ 54° Mid & 58° Wide (Project X 114 5.5)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No. 1 Putter

MAXFLI Tour CG

23 hours ago, ljkelly2171 said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I started playing in 2000 during college and played pretty regularly up until having my first kid in 2010. Between, family, work, and coaching, I probably played 1-2 time per year until this past spring when a local club was running a membership special so I joined and have been getting out at least 9 holes once per week since then. My current handicap is a 13.4 and typically score in the mid 80s.

2. What do you love about golf? I love being outside in general and golf also feeds my passion of working towards a goal (currently trying to break 80 at my home course). It also has given some of my friends and I a good chance to reconnect and meet up more regularly.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I always enjoyed the website and No Putts Given YouTube videos, but haven't really worked through the forum until recently. I have enjoyed following new threads and even reading old ones. As far as I know, I don't know any current Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Originally from outside of Philadelphia, but have settled in Delaware. My home course is Patriots Glen in Elkton, MD.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Within 90 minutes there are a lot of good public courses to choose from spanning many different price ranges. That is definitely the best part. The worst part is the winter, makes it tough to get out for weeks or months at a time...I know other regions have it much worse!

6. What do you do for a living? I am a middle school teacher and also coach basketball.

7. How’d you pick your user name? My name plus sports numbers....not very original.

Look out now!!!!  Another Delaware member...we are taking over this site!  haha  Welcome, I see you went to Salisbury, I did too!  I am ALSO a middle school teacher, where are you at?  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Look out now!!!!  Another Delaware member...we are taking over this site!  haha  Welcome, I see you went to Salisbury, I did too!  I am ALSO a middle school teacher, where are you at?  

I live in northern Delaware, but teach in Delaware County (PA) near Media. Salisbury '03, when did you graduate?

MAXFLI Tour CG

1 minute ago, ljkelly2171 said:

I live in northern Delaware, but teach in Delaware County (PA) near Media. Salisbury '03, when did you graduate?

2000, go Gulls  haha, I am down in Dover I teach in Smyrna

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

2000, go Gulls  haha, I am down in Dover I teach in Smyrna

Smyrna....you probably had quite the day earlier this week. I taught in Dover for a couple of years before teaching in PA.

MAXFLI Tour CG

Just now, ljkelly2171 said:

Smyrna....you probably had quite the day earlier this week. I taught in Dover for a couple of years before teaching in PA.

Yeah, it was right outside my classroom.  It was tough.  Where in Dover did you teach?  Central Middle?  I was there before coming up here to Smyrna.

23 hours ago, ljkelly2171 said:

Welcome!!  I joined Patriots last year when they ran their special 2 year deal.  There were some rough conditions there last year but it was good enough for me to go walk 9 on a Sat or Sun evening for practice.  I haven't been there yet this year to see if things improved or not.  I'll have to see if my membership is still good there or if there was some small print I missed when signing up!  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

13 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Yeah, it was right outside my classroom.  It was tough.  Where in Dover did you teach?  Central Middle?  I was there before coming up here to Smyrna.

Yes, CMS. Came up to PA 3 years ago.

MAXFLI Tour CG

17 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Welcome!!  I joined Patriots last year when they ran their special 2 year deal.  There were some rough conditions there last year but it was good enough for me to go walk 9 on a Sat or Sun evening for practice.  I haven't been there yet this year to see if things improved or not.  I'll have to see if my membership is still good there or if there was some small print I missed when signing up!  

The membership was too good to pass up. I typically am able to walk 9 once on the weekend and once during the week. During the summer, I should be able to get 2-3 rounds per week in. I played there a few weeks ago, the bunkers were a mess but the rest of the course was in decent shape. My membership runs through June 2022, so your membership should be good for a while.

MAXFLI Tour CG

1 minute ago, ljkelly2171 said:

The membership was too good to pass up. I typically am able to walk 9 once on the weekend and once during the week. During the summer, I should be able to get 2-3 rounds per week in. I played there a few weeks ago, the bunkers were a mess but the rest of the course was in decent shape. My membership runs through June 2022, so your membership should be good for a while.

Have the greens filled in?  There were a few last year that were unplayable.  The grass was sparse and the exposed sand base had you putting through mini sand traps.  I played it for on course driver, iron & wedge practice.  But even for iron & wedge practice you had to look hard to find spots in some 'fairways' that had any grass at all.  But for the $200 two year membership it was still worth it for me.  👍

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

7 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Have the greens filled in?  There were a few last year that were unplayable.  The grass was sparse and the exposed sand base had you putting through mini sand traps.  I played it for on course driver, iron & wedge practice.  But even for iron & wedge practice you had to look hard to find spots in some 'fairways' that had any grass at all.  But for the $200 two year membership it was still worth it for me.  👍

The greens were actually in good shape. Much better than last year. The course really struggles maintaining conditions with long periods of rain or heat. By the end of last summer, a few greens were definitely unplayable. Much like you, for $200 over 2 years, I feel like I more than get my money's worth by walking 9 holes a few times per week. 

MAXFLI Tour CG

39 minutes ago, ljkelly2171 said:

Yes, CMS. Came up to PA 3 years ago.

small world.  See everyone, that's the plus about living in such a small state.  haha

• 2 weeks later...

FORE! Now that I got your attention my name is Rich Walter and I’m new to the forum. Good friend of mine, Brian Apel, has been a member for quite some time and always has positive things to say about the feedback here as well as the club testing. Love to play but it’s been more range time lately with 2 little kids. Just finished my yearly cleaning 😂 and here’s what’s in the bag...

Sim 2 Titanium driver -3wood - 5wood 

Mizuni JPX900 irons forged 

Cleveland wedges 

Stroke lab double-wide putter 

Thanks and Good luck everyone! 

7717C15E-A92A-4AEA-84CB-ED5EABAF0DE3.jpeg

Richard Walter 

27 minutes ago, Rich Walter said:

FORE! Now that I got your attention my name is Rich Walter and I’m new to the forum. Good friend of mine, Brian Apel, has been a member for quite some time and always has positive things to say about the feedback here as well as the club testing. Love to play but it’s been more range time lately with 2 little kids. Just finished my yearly cleaning 😂 and here’s what’s in the bag...

Cleveland wedges 

7717C15E-A92A-4AEA-84CB-ED5EABAF0DE3.jpeg

Welcome glad you finally listened and joined up! 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

On 5/7/2021 at 10:37 AM, Rich Walter said:

Cleveland wedges 

i like your taste in irons and wedges!

• 2 weeks later...

Cross posting this into our Mid-Atlantic group b/c I think it's such a great cause!

If you or anyone you know lives in the following states (DELAWARE, GEORGIA, MARYLAND, NORTH CAROLINA, PENNSYLVANIA, SOUTH CAROLINA and WEST VIRGINIA) you can enter to win one of 160 Tito’s branded golf bags or one of 205 boxes of Titleist ProV1 Tito’s branded golf balls…

If you pledge to walk a round (or walk in your neighborhood even) Tito’s will donate $100 to the First Tee up to $150k.

And if you’re not in one of those states, please share to anyone you know who IS in those states!! 

https://titosgolfwalk.com/campaigns/E0oDtKWc0FYBCTrT/10034/sweepstakes/promo-page

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

Hello All !! I've been on this site for a few months and decided to join it today so lets answer those questions.

1. I'm 61 yrs old and I've been playing golf on and off since I was 10. My HC before kids was around 9 but as we all know having kids puts a damper on some of our activities so now I normally score 84 to 86.

2. Love golf for all the beautiful scenery, playing with my father in law who is 93 yrs old and can still shot in the upper 80's. Playing with my son who is starting to appreciate the game but of course his first love is swimming and how challenging the sport can be both physical and mentally.

3. Found MGS on YouTube and the rest is history. Dont know any other spies. 

4. I live in NE Pa. with my wife and two kids. My home course is Blue Ridge Trail a beautiful 27 hole course in the mountains of NE Pa.

5. Best thing about golf in my area is the price to play. Not super expensive to play I'd say between $35 to $50 a round which includes cart. Worst thing in the area is the lack of golf equipment. Cant really go to a place and hit 5 or 6 different mfgrs other than Dicks Sporting Goods which only have the big 3 or 4 companies with only a few models of each mfgr.

6. I am an Electrical Engineer.

7. When I played baseball and softball that's what my teammates an friends called me.   

Driver PXG Prototype 0811 X+

3 Wood Ping G410

5 Wood Taylormade Burner 

4 Hybrid Ping G425

Irons 5-PW Ping G400 soon to be Ben Hogan PTxPros

Wedges Vokey SM7 52*, SM8 56*

Putter Odyssey Stroke Lab OG#1

Ball Titleist Yellow Pro V1X 

Hey all!!   Hello from the frozen tundra of Western NY.  I'll use the nice template to answer some about me!!

1. How long have you been playing golf? 20+ years

2. What’s your handicap or normal score? I fluctuate between a 14-17 

3. What do you love about golf? all of it.  i'm a tinkerer so being able to mess with clubs, my swing, etc it all appeals to me!

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I've followed MGS reviews for almost as long as they've been around.  might as well chat a bit 🙂

5. Where are you from? Rochester, NY What is your home course? None at the moment

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best are the beautiful courses and we have a TON.  Worst is the winter killing up to six months of golf every year

7. What do you do for a living? Network Engineer

8. How’d you pick your user name? read it backwards

• :titelist-small: TSi 2 10D
  • :titelist-small: 917 F2 3W
  • :titelist-small: 716 T-MB 3i
  • :titelist-small: 716 AP1 4-5i
  • :titelist-small: 716 AP2 6-PW
  • :titelist-small: SM6 52/58 wedges
  • Toulon Rochester
  • :Snell: MTB-X

Hello to all from upstate NY,

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

I have been playing golf for 36 years but only only 5-6 times a year. Now playing 2-3 times per week since my 14yr old son loves the game. Currently 18 handicap but looking to work my way to single digits by next year.

The feeling  you get after hitting a club flush and watching that 20ft putt fall.

Just found it through an email

From Saratoga, NY area, home course is Ballston Spa CC

I work in Supply Chain Management, kind of a mess right now due to Covid19

My favorite basketball player was George Gervin or The Iceman

1. How long have you been playing golf? 20+ years

2. What’s your handicap or normal score? Between a 7 and 9

3. What do you love about golf? Grass under my feet. Blue sky above.  Nothing bothering me but 1000 swing thoughts. 🙂

4. where are you from, home course:  Originally from NE.  Home course is Lakeside Park Club, Richmond VA

5. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I've been reading MGS reviews and recommendations for a long time and wanted to give back to the communinty.  I just met s SPY over the weekend too. 

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Lots of options.  Now with the newly re-done Belmont we have a good number of public practice areas too.  Worst:  growing grass as we are in that weird temperate zone where bent is difficult and bermuda isn't really fully in play until mid June. 

7. What do you do for a living? Chief Cultural Architect

8. How’d you pick your user name? My dad always called me Zeke (also know as zero).  No idea why.  I did some research and Zeke or Zero were the names of the planes the Japanese used at the start of WWII.  These planes were fast and maneuverable.  So I embraced it.  I sign most documents with my same and then my version of a flying z.  

First post here.  Looking forward to some conversations and playing golf with other Spies.  I'm also relatively active on the NLU Refuge and I'm a big supporter of The Golfer's Journal. 

Edited by Flying Zeke

Flying Fast 

Hello from Essex County, NJ! 

I'm originally from Indiana, then shuffled around a bit. Just recently moved out of Manhattan after 8 years to purchase a home during the pandemic, so still getting to know the area. 

• Played on and off (around 5-10 rounds a year) for the past 15 years, but just now really starting to play regularly (at least once a week). Handicap is 18, but hoping to get that below 15 by the end of the summer
  • That 1-3 shots per round that go exactly where you wanted them, and the 5-10 you get lucky on... they constantly have the abilty to overshadow the other 75 shots of the day
  • Been using MGS to read unbiased reviews (which have greatly affected my purchasing) for the past year or so
  • Home course is Francis Byrne Golf Course - if you're a local, hit me up! Constantly looking for an extra.
  • Best - lots of courses. Worst - terribly difficult to get tee times most places
  • I'm in Advertising - client services
  • AdManScott =  I'm in Advertising...and the other two parts - well, those are probably self explanatory

Would love to meet up with some locals at some point! 

Edited by AdManScott
spelling

:taylormade-small: 9° Sim HAZRDOUS Smoke 70 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: Sim 3 Wood HAZRDOUS Smoke 70 Stiff Flex

:mizuno-small: 4, 5 JPX 921 Fli-Hi Hybrid

:mizuno-small: 6-GW JPX 921 Hot Metal

:vokey-small: 58°, 54° SM7

:odyssey-small: Triple Track Ten 35"

:titelist-small:  Hybrid 5 Stand Bag

Hello fellow hackers. My name is Ryan and I'm from southeast PA. I used to REALLY suck at golf but now I just somewhat suck. Been playing more and more lately.

Courses I usually play:

Olde Homestead in New Tripoli

Golden Oaks in Fleetwood

Hideaway Hills in Kregseville

Riverview CC in Easton

Blue Ridge Trail in Mountain Top

Willow Hollow in Leesport

WITB:

Driver, 3W, 5W: Mavrik Max

4i-LW: shovels

Putter: Odyssey EXO 7 mini

2 hours ago, 3puttHacker said:

Hello fellow hackers. My name is Ryan and I'm from southeast PA. I used to REALLY suck at golf but now I just somewhat suck. Been playing more and more lately.

Courses I usually play:

Olde Homestead in New Tripoli

Golden Oaks in Fleetwood

Hideaway Hills in Kregseville

Riverview CC in Easton

Blue Ridge Trail in Mountain Top

Willow Hollow in Leesport

WITB:

Driver, 3W, 5W: Mavrik Max

4i-LW: shovels

Putter: Odyssey EXO 7 mini

Welcome to the forum Hideaway is a great course nearly flipped a cart on the path on the par 3 #12. Fun times nice views I post pictures to the forum every time I play there.

• 2 weeks later...

1. I've been playing 15 years but my handicap doesn't reflect that as a 13. For me, a bad scoring round still beats any day I'm not playing golf!

2. I love golf cause it's a mental challenge for a hack like me, it's cheaper than therapy, plus gives me a guaranteed pass out of the house any time. 

3. Been viewing this site for a while and just decided to join so I could link up with other golfers in my region and maybe get some tips to improve my game.

4. I live in Upper Marlboro, MD and my home course is Oakcreek Golf Club.

5. Up here it's not as sweltering hot or humid like the south... but it's more expensive and cold so we can't play all year round.

6. I'm a Maintenance and Electrical Business Owner (really I'm just my wife's full-time handy man)

7. My user name is my initials and dream score... again I'm a hack so 59 is just that, a DREAM! 

Welcome everyone, I am sure you will enjoy this site.  The people here are full of knowledge, humor and sympathy haha.  There is no better golf site than this! 

Anyone have any interest in meeting up sometime this summer as a group?  If so, I can probably set something up in Delaware (I know, I know not too many of us on here from DE) or Ocean City, MD if you guys want.  I was thinking if you guys wanted to come to the beaches there are plenty of great golf here.  Maybe Baywood Greens, Lighthouse Sound etc.  

If interested, just let me know and I can start working on it.  If not, no big deal.  Thinking maybe August or September once the tourists leave.