Mid-Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ, DE, MD, VA

Our Sponsors

On 10/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, Yellow Jacket said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing for 23 years but I've gone through a few periods where I didn't play (2002-2005, 2008-2011, 2018-July). When I was playing competitively, I was down to a +3, but at the moment I'm a 2.5 mainly because I only play once a month.
  2. What do you love about golf?

Obsessing over gear, exploring new places and courses, meeting new people, the endless challenge to get better.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I've known about MGS since its early days. I'm very active on another forum but MGS has grown a ton so I wanted to check it out!
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I'm in the Washington, DC area. I play most frequently at Laurel Hill Golf Club which is about 30 min south of the city.
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

I've only been playing in DC for a few months, but I'm disappointed with the quality and expensiveness of public courses. I also don't like the shorter season compared to Atlanta where I used to live.
  6. What do you do for a living?

I'm a financial economist.
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

What's the good word?!

As I mentioned, I only started playing again in the last few months so I'd love to make some new playing partners!

Welcome, I hear you on the expense of the courses.  You need to go out a bit to get some good deals, a bit south of Laurel Hills is Forest Green (Triangle) and Hickory Ridge (Woodbridge) both good choices, Forest Ridge for value and Hickory Ridge for quality.

if you go about 30 to 45 minutes north, there are some great choices, NorthWest, Blue Mash, Little Bennet and then the high end a bit further north of Worthington Manor, Whiskey Creek and and Musket Ridge

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What’s up guys. With my brain and game on quarantine it felt like a good enough to officially start posting.    im based in Brooklyn, play mostly public golf in the New York area but got a car

Hi,   I've been playing golf for about 15 years now. It happened by accident as I never thought I would be this addicted to the game. Not to mention waste a Saturday and Sunday afternoon watching

How long have you been playing golf? A; Since I watched Tiger dominate the field at the 97 Masters! What’s your handicap or normal score? A: according to the new GHIN it is 4.8 index, after this

Posted Images

Hey everyone-

I've been a lurker for some time and was introduce to MyGolfSpy through a buddy and some mutual acquaintances who work at the Yorktown location. I'm a big fan of the site and enjoy reading up on the testing and testing results of all the products and equipment that MyGolfSpy investigates. 

Born and raised in Northern Virginia and loved the area so much that I never moved away. Grew up playing golf at my local courses and eventually had the opportunity to play for my high school team throughout school. Played at little bit for the Club Golf team at JMU and have been playing the game for almost 20 years now. I'm lucky enough to not only teach at the high school I graduated from, but also serve as the varsity golf coach. So it's safe to say that I spend more than half of my time in the summer and fall months at a golf course in and around Northern VA. Since I'm around the game so much, my handicap normally sits around a 3-5 depending on the season.

I grew up playing Brambleton Regional Golf course in Loudoun County and consider it my home course even though I'm not a member. I was their Club Champion in 2018 (Low Gross) and our high school team uses their facilities for practices and matches. I also I work at a local private course and have the opportunity to play there on off days and weekends around the members.

Glad to be a part of the club!

Titleist 915D3, 10.5°, Proforce V2 X-stiff
Titleist 913F 15°, Diamana X-stiff
Srixon U65 3i, 18°,  UST Recoil X-stiff
Srixon Z765 4-PW, KBS X-stiff
Titleist Vokey Forged Black 52°, 56°, and 60°, KBS
Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5, 34"
Taylormade TP5x

Edited by BWHfalcons_coach
  • Like 3

Taylormade TP5x

19 minutes ago, BWHfalcons_coach said:

Hey everyone-

I've been a lurker for some time and was introduce to MyGolfSpy through a buddy and some mutual acquaintances who work at the Yorktown location. I'm a big fan of the site and enjoy reading up on the testing and testing results of all the products and equipment that MyGolfSpy investigates. 

Born and raised in Northern Virginia and loved the area so much that I never moved away. Grew up playing golf at my local courses and eventually had the opportunity to play for my high school team throughout school. Played at little bit for the Club Golf team at JMU and have been playing the game for almost 20 years now. I'm lucky enough to not only teach at the high school I graduated from, but also serve as the varsity golf coach. So it's safe to say that I spend more than half of my time in the summer and fall months at a golf course in and around Northern VA. Since I'm around the game so much, my handicap normally sits around a 3-5 depending on the season.

I grew up playing Brambleton Regional Golf course in Loudoun County and consider it my home course even though I'm not a member. I was their Club Champion in 2018 (Low Gross) and our high school team uses their facilities for practices and matches. I also I work at a local private course and have the opportunity to play there on off days and weekends around the members.

Taylormade TP5x

Welcome, from a semi-neighbor.  I'm in Reston, and have been a member out at Stoneleigh GC since the course opened.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

25 minutes ago, BWHfalcons_coach said:

Hey everyone-

Taylormade TP5x

Welcome as well!  I'm a neighbor from across the river, around the beltway and up I-95 🙂   But I travel out that way to play when I can one of the courses in our portfolio is 1757.

Glad to have you on board and feel free to jump in and join the conversation.

1 hour ago, BWHfalcons_coach said:

Hey everyone-

Taylormade TP5x

Welcome to MGS!  I'm in Loudoun County as well.  I play mostly Raspberry Falls as I live only about 10 minutes from there in Lucketts.  But I do get out to Brambleton & Algonkian a few times as well.  I'll play wherever I can find other's to play with.  Driving is not a problem as I play out in the Shenandoah Valley a lot cause it's cheaper, not to mention the fact that courses are closing all over the county.  

• Like 1

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:   :titelist-small:  TS2 9.5* UST ATTAS COOOL 

Fairways  :titelist-small: HZRDUS Smoke 13.5*

Driving Iron:  :titelist-small: U500 17* UST V2

Irons  :titelist-small: T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X Catalyst 100cw

Wedges  :vokey-small: SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter  :cameron-small:  Newport  

Ball  :titelist-small: 2020 AVX

The Philadelphia Chapter of Random Golf Club is having their first every RGC this Saturday at Linfield National Golf Club.

Pretty excited to see the turnout and take in the experience.

• Like 4

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Hey everyone, new here so I figured I would say hi to everyone.

1) Been playing since I was young, say 9-10 years old. My index now is 9.0.

2) Wouldn't say there is one thing I love about golf, but I love how it makes you think, so many variables and factors go into every shot and that there is never one "right" way to do something. Everything has multiple options/choices that you can decide between to give you the best chance to end up where you want the ball to go. Especially with COVID, its a nice activity to get out of the house and still be able to socially distance from other friends.

3) I don't know any other spies, but I was trying to find some more reviews and info on golf balls and equipment and came across the site.

4) From Northern VA near DC. Don't belong to one course, just play all the public ones in the area, wherever I can get a tee time.

5) Best thing is the number of courses around the area, lots to choose from. Worse thing is the $$$. Not too many courses in the area really provide the best bang for your buck on a consistent basis.

6) Accountant

7) Nothing creative here, just mashed a few letters from my first and last names together. Keep it simple!

Looking forward to connecting with everyone more going forward!

• Like 2

Titleist 913 D2/15* wood/18* Hybrid

AP2 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff

50*/54*/56*/58* Vokey Wedges

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

On 10/20/2020 at 3:52 PM, jlukes said:

The Philadelphia Chapter of Random Golf Club is having their first every RGC this Saturday at Linfield National Golf Club.

Pretty excited to see the turnout and take in the experience.

This was an absolute blast and cannot wait for the next one

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

This was an absolute blast and cannot wait for the next one

Tell us more!  What was the format?  How'd you do?  

• Like 1

The format:

• Pair up with a friend (or someone you just met) and play alternate shot on all non-par 3's
  • Switch up your partners throughout the round - make new friends!
  • Par 3s everyone hits their own tee shot
    • No Hole-in-one's? Move on to the next tee

it was really a blast. Met some great people and had a ton of laughs

FFF3D85D-9EE6-48F8-8538-C584B773B8C8.jpeg

959311B9-D155-477F-82A9-6C407585A054.jpeg

AC2192B7-026D-4825-A16C-8A054B9E9F95.jpeg

ED71198C-D6F2-4A35-9AAF-8D370B81DE7F.jpeg

• Like 7

I've been playing since I was 12 or so.  Although I took some time off during my twenties to meet a girl get married and have kids.  

I think i saw something about mygolfspy on tv or in a magazine.

I live in SW Pittsburgh.  Mostly play in a league and weekends around me.

I am a flooring /tile mechanic.  Mostly I do showers.

23 hours ago, jlukes said:

The format:

• Pair up with a friend (or someone you just met) and play alternate shot on all non-par 3's
  • Switch up your partners throughout the round - make new friends!
  • Par 3s everyone hits their own tee shot
    • No Hole-in-one's? Move on to the next tee

it was really a blast. Met some great people and had a ton of laughs

FFF3D85D-9EE6-48F8-8538-C584B773B8C8.jpeg

959311B9-D155-477F-82A9-6C407585A054.jpeg

AC2192B7-026D-4825-A16C-8A054B9E9F95.jpeg

ED71198C-D6F2-4A35-9AAF-8D370B81DE7F.jpeg

Looks like a fun event.  Walking only I assume?  Did the rain hold out?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

16 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Looks like a fun event.  Walking only I assume?  Did the rain hold out?

Yup walking only and no rain to speak of

16 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yup walking only and no rain to speak of

How was the course?  Would you play there again?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

How was the course?  Would you play there again?

It was short but a fun course.  Looking at the standard rates in the pro shop I wouldn’t mind playing there again

• Like 1

Former college baseball player getting back into golf since pandemic started as a reprieve.  Super high handicap, just wanting to get better, because it sucks to suck.  Any tips critiques or criticism is appreciated.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, clove4028 said:

Former college baseball player getting back into golf since pandemic started as a reprieve.  Super high handicap, just wanting to get better, because it sucks to suck.  Any tips critiques or criticism is appreciated.

Welcome to the site.   Lot's of very smart people on here that can help with equipment suggestions and answers.  But the two most common and best you will see are....take lessons as soon as possible and get fit. 

Both are solid advice, especially the lessons. Learning some early basics can get you started on the the right path.  As good athlete chances are you'll be able to adapt to it very quickly.

@GolfSpy STUDque  pitched at a high level in college and @ballplayer002003 is a former baseball player.  Both very good players, can probably throw out some suggestions.

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice.  I began taking lessons about 2 months ago and they have definitely helped.  My main issue is getting my club square at contact, because as a hitter, I was never trying to let my wrist "rollover" and that thought process is hard for me to fix.@ballplayer002003@GolfSpy STUDque I watch tons of youtube video.  

Anyone have anythoughts on Moe Norman?  To me a 1 plane swing seems easier than a 2 plane swing?  I mean less is more IMO.  Thanks for your help guys

• Like 1
I watch tons of youtube video.  
Anyone have anythoughts on Moe Norman?  To me a 1 plane swing seems easier than a 2 plane swing?  I mean less is more IMO.  Thanks for your help guys

Be careful watching YouTube videos. They provide fixes but those fixes may not be right for you. Basically treating symptoms and not the cause.

As for one plane@shankster has a thread about his journey and thoughts. Easy to find using the search feature on the site.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, clove4028 said:

Thank you for the advice.  I began taking lessons about 2 months ago and they have definitely helped.  My main issue is getting my club square at contact, because as a hitter, I was never trying to let my wrist "rollover" and that thought process is hard for me to fix.@ballplayer002003@GolfSpy STUDque I watch tons of youtube video.  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Be careful watching YouTube videos. They provide fixes but those fixes may not be right for you. Basically treating symptoms and not the cause.

As for one plane@shankster has a thread about his journey and thoughts. Easy to find using the search feature on the site.

To save you a bit of time searching here's the thread Cnosil mentioned.  

• Like 1