GolfSpy MPR

Southeast: KY, TN, NC, SC, AL, GA, FL

Our Sponsors

Checking in from upstate SC!

• Like 2

C863FD6F-A6FF-4575-AE0B-D47F55C55EE2.jpeg

On 2/11/2019 at 5:25 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Hey all! I'm brand new to the forum. Thanks for having me. Currently living in Atlanta, so let me know if you're close and want to get a round scheduled. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing long enough to make you think my handicap shouldn't be so high. I think I'm a 12 right now. 

2. What do you love about golf? Everything... Literally everything. I enjoy hitting up the course solo for a quiet round just as much as i love playing a with the guys. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Completely random discovery.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Atlanta, GA.  - TPC Sugarloaf

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? It gets so humid in the summer, you almost feel the need to have scuba gear to swim through the air

6. What do you do for a living? Sales

7. How’d you pick your user name? Name

• Like 2

5 hours ago, atrout34 said:

I'm down to schedule a round, my best friend and I play often in Alpharetta area. You're a member at Sugarloaf?

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5° Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
3 Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 TS 15° Project X LZ60 6.0 (:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black coming soon)
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: SCOR 4161 50°, 55°, 60°
Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

7 hours ago, Josh Ross said:

I'm down to schedule a round, my best friend and I play often in Alpharetta area. You're a member at Sugarloaf?

Yessir... I live in Gwinnett. Let me know if you want to play Sugarloaf.

• Like 1

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?    Howdy from Canton, Georgia. I've been golfing for about 50 years with occasional success.  I currently have a GHIN index of 19.9 and dropping.  I have been a certified club builder and repair for at least 40 years and still work on clubs both for myself and others who need reshafting, regripping or tuning up their clubs.

2. What do you love about golf?  The unpredictability of the game. For me, it is often Jekyll and Hyde from Front 9 to Back 9, or even hole to hole.  I often say the course or my game is predictably unpredictable.  Where else can find all this frustration or elation in one place.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I see all the reviews and I am impressed with the detail of the testing.  I believe that the work MGS does serves as a watchdog on the golf industry.   I do not yet know any other Spies as we often lurk in the shadows and comment on the threads that we are passionate about.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  My home is in Canton, GA, which is about 45 to 60 minutes northwest of Atlanta.  My home course is Towne Lake Hills in Woodstock, GA.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best things about golfing in this area are the large number of courses to play within 20 miles of so.  The worst things are  the number of beginning golfers out on the course instead of in lessons or the driving range.   They contribute to 5+ hour rounds.  I am not in love with all the hills on courses, especially when Cart Path Only is required..

6. What do you do for a living?  I am semi-retired and work part time as a food demonstrator at Sam's Club and also work at Towne Lake Hills as Starter and Ranger.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My name was picked fir me by a former daughter-in-law who was differentiating from her father and the name stuck.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, daddybob0525000 said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?    Howdy from Canton, Georgia. I've been golfing for about 50 years with occasional success.  I currently have a GHIN index of 19.9 and dropping.  I have been a certified club builder and repair for at least 40 years and still work on clubs both for myself and others who need reshafting, regripping or tuning up their clubs.

2. What do you love about golf?  The unpredictability of the game. For me, it is often Jekyll and Hyde from Front 9 to Back 9, or even hole to hole.  I often say the course or my game is predictably unpredictable.  Where else can find all this frustration or elation in one place.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I see all the reviews and I am impressed with the detail of the testing.  I believe that the work MGS does serves as a watchdog on the golf industry.   I do not yet know any other Spies as we often lurk in the shadows and comment on the threads that we are passionate about.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  My home is in Canton, GA, which is about 45 to 60 minutes northwest of Atlanta.  My home course is Towne Lake Hills in Woodstock, GA.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best things about golfing in this area are the large number of courses to play within 20 miles of so.  The worst things are  the number of beginning golfers out on the course instead of in lessons or the driving range.   They contribute to 5+ hour rounds.  I am not in love with all the hills on courses, especially when Cart Path Only is required..

6. What do you do for a living?  I am semi-retired and work part time as a food demonstrator at Sam's Club and also work at Towne Lake Hills as Starter and Ranger.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My name was picked fir me by a former daughter-in-law who was differentiating from her father and the name stuck.

Welcome! You must know Bill Murchison, he is a friend of mine. I've got a couple greens fee passes for Towne Lake Hills that I'm planning on using soon.

• Like 2

3 Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 TS 15° Project X LZ60 6.0 (:cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black coming soon)

33 minutes ago, Josh Ross said:

Welcome! You must know Bill Murchison, he is a friend of mine. I've got a couple greens fee passes for Towne Lake Hills that I'm planning on using soon.

I sure doo, Josh.  I have a match with him for our employee Match Play tournament.  He is the best coach I have seen with kids (adults, too!}  Let me know when uou are coming down and maybe we can get together.

• Like 2

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I have been playing 40 years now.  I play to a 10/mid-80's most days.

2. What do you love about golf?  I love the challenge of golf.  I love the satisfaction felt after a perfectly executed shot, and I love that I can always be learning at this game.  I'm working on loving a good score more. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've been a fan for quite a while, and I sporadically donate to keep the site going.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Lawrenceville, GA; Collins Hill Golf Course

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best -- good weather, pleantiful public golf options; Worst -- very hot in the summer.

6. What do you do for a living? Work in healthcare

7. How’d you pick your user name?  Play on my real name.  Feels fun.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, daddybob0525000 said:

I sure doo, Josh.  I have a match with him for our employee Match Play tournament.  He is the best coach I have seen with kids (adults, too!}  Let me know when uou are coming down and maybe we can get together.

I've only got to play with him once but I know he's an excellent coach, I'm wanting to book a session with him soon and also get my 6 year old involved with his kid's clinics. He offered tickets to me and a friend to come watch him play in the PGA Championship at Kiawah Island in 2012 but we weren't able to make it. I'll let ya know when I'm coming for sure, would love to join up.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing golf for about a year and a half now.  My buddy asked me to go out and golf with him to celebrate his engagement and me being a groomsman for him.  I was hooked ever since.  My handicap according to my arccos is 19.1

2. What do you love about golf? The combined physical and mental challenge and also being outdoors.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Big follower on social media already and also a data junkie. Finally decided to join the community.  I have questions about golf so I figured this is a trusted community.  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live right outside Orlando, Florida.  My community has a public course (Providence Golf Club) but I play generally anywhere close since there are many options.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best: there is always a tee time available close by in any golf price point.  PGA caliber to budget golf is always available at the click of a button. Th Worst: Orlando is over- saturated with worst aspects of marketing in golf.  Snoody people judging every material aspect of your game. 

6. What do you do for a living? Finance for a large entertainment company run by a mouse.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's a play of my name mixed with the most feared bounty hunter in the star wars galaxy.

• Like 1

Driver: default_cobra-small.jpg.634f41dc1b8ea120e1aae121bd8f10ef.jpg.5a46268ca12328475fd752152fc4c9f9.jpg Speedzone Xtreme 10.5° Ventus Blue 6 Stiff

3 Wood: default_callaway-small.jpg.14ff3e8c0cfb3f1ea12291d143b9d8c2.jpg XR 15° Project X LZ 50 Stiff

3 Hybrid:default_callaway-small.jpg.14ff3e8c0cfb3f1ea12291d143b9d8c2.jpg Steelhead XR16 19° Project X SD Stiff

Irons: default_cobra-small.jpg.634f41dc1b8ea120e1aae121bd8f10ef.jpg.5a46268ca12328475fd752152fc4c9f9.jpg King F9 Speedback KBS Tour 90 Stiff

Wedges: default_cleveland-small.jpg.bce0257eb703046e93feb8255808ab50.jpg CBX 52°, 56° ,60° Dynamic Gold 115

Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.5d28361175b74c5e9e3da2c80aec4b53.jpgWhite Smoke Big Fontana 35"

Ball: default_srixon-small.jpg.26f925d4dc56727e04dc68d7bfa37bb9.jpgZ-star

On 5/30/2020 at 3:11 PM, TDubbGolferGuy said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I have been playing 40 years now.  I play to a 10/mid-80's most days.

2. What do you love about golf?  I love the challenge of golf.  I love the satisfaction felt after a perfectly executed shot, and I love that I can always be learning at this game.  I'm working on loving a good score more. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've been a fan for quite a while, and I sporadically donate to keep the site going.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Lawrenceville, GA; Collins Hill Golf Course

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best -- good weather, pleantiful public golf options; Worst -- very hot in the summer.

6. What do you do for a living? Work in healthcare

7. How’d you pick your user name?  Play on my real name.  Feels fun.

Collins Hill Golf Course was one of the first courses I ever played! That was back when it was called Springbrooke Golf Club. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I am currently what you would call a high handicapper (28), but I am very new to the game having only been playing for 6 months.   I love how challenging golf can be compared to other sports.  I have always been very athletic but golf has humbled me for sure.  Strength without technique is useless and this challenge has me completely hooked and obsessed.  Seeing someone half my size effortlessly rip them past me gets my competitive fire going and has me committed to becoming a competent golfer.  My obsession to learn and know everything has brought me to MGS.  Sure I would like to eventually test new products because that sounds amazing, but the information brought me in.  I live in the Raleigh NC area and don't yet have a home course.  With only 6 months under my belt, I am still exploring new courses with every round.  NC has a long golfing season but the heat and humidity isn't ideal for someone like me with New England blood coursing through my veins.  I am a sales manager by profession but an athlete at heart.  Nothing beats getting outdoors and competing, nothing!  Oh, my user name that was easy, it's my name.  So much for creativity or anonymity. 

Edited by Brock
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Brock said:

Hello all,

I am currently what you would call a high handicapper (28), but I am very new to the game having only been playing for 6 months.   I love how challenging golf can be compared to other sports.  I have always been very athletic but golf has humbled me for sure.  Strength without technique is useless and this challenge has me completely hooked and obsessed.  Seeing someone half my size effortlessly rip them past me gets my competitive fire going and has me committed to becoming a competent golfer.  My obsession to learn and know everything has brought me to MGS.  Sure I would like to eventually test new products because that sounds amazing, but the information brought me in.  I live in the Raleigh NC area and don't yet have a home course.  With only 6 months under my belt, I am still exploring new courses with every round.  NC has a long golfing season but the heat and humidity isn't ideal for someone like me with New England blood coursing through my veins.  I am a sales manager by profession but an athlete at heart.  Nothing beats getting outdoors and competing, nothing!  Oh, my user name that was easy, it's my name.  So much for creativity or anonymity. 

My grandfather taught me me play when I was seven.  I am now seventy two and still love playing it is the best sport in the world.  If you establish a handicap you can play with fellow golfers of any ability.  Have fun.

On 6/5/2020 at 4:59 PM, Brock said:

Hello all,

Lotta good courses in the area, hard to go wrong. I think Raleigh Golf Association is a lot of fun, the Neuse is a great track but you might lose a few here and there, and of course any of the university courses are top-notch (albeit pretty pricey...). Lemme know if you need any recommendations! (I'm a member out at The Preserve at Jordan Lake, so if you're headed that way and want to get in a morning loop, I'm game!)

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
3 wood: :ping-small: Rapture 14* with Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
4i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Hey All, super stoked to be a part of this team/forum. I've been a long time lurker and finally want to contribute back where i can, as i feel more comfortable with the game.

Ive been playing for about a year now. I love how you can reduce all stress by just going out enjoying nature and slamming on some golf balls (although frustrating when you cant hit the darn thing without slicing). I have a friend that introduced me to the site, and again just want to be a apart of a bigger community and hopefully give my 2 cents on products that I will acquire throughout the years. Im active duty in fayetteville, NC and we have 2 nice courses on post, stryker and ryder. The worst is probably the humidity here, but being a native from virginia its not too bad. The best is we, have southern, where there are amazing tour golf courses that I have the ability to play. Being active duty military, I am a soldier first, but I am also an oral surgeon, and last but not least my user name is my name

• Like 4

Cleveland HB Turbo irons

Burner woods

Taylormade Sim driver

21 minutes ago, Jpatelg said:

Hey All, super stoked to be a part of this team/forum. I've been a long time lurker and finally want to contribute back where i can, as i feel more comfortable with the game.

Ive been playing for about a year now. I love how you can reduce all stress by just going out enjoying nature and slamming on some golf balls (although frustrating when you cant hit the darn thing without slicing). I have a friend that introduced me to the site, and again just want to be a apart of a bigger community and hopefully give my 2 cents on products that I will acquire throughout the years. Im active duty in fayetteville, NC and we have 2 nice courses on post, stryker and ryder. The worst is probably the humidity here, but being a native from virginia its not too bad. The best is we, have southern, where there are amazing tour golf courses that I have the ability to play. Being active duty military, I am a soldier first, but I am also an oral surgeon, and last but not least my user name is my name

I was born and raised in Portsmouth VA.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:57 PM, Albatrass said:

I was born and raised in Portsmouth VA.

I was trying to head to the naval base as my next PCS, but that didn't pan out. 

• Like 1

Cleveland HB Turbo irons

Burner woods

Taylormade Sim driver

On 6/18/2020 at 7:35 PM, Jpatelg said:

Thank you for your service and welcome to MGS!

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56 / RTX-3 60
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Hi everyone,

1. I've been playing golf for almost 10 years, my handicap these days has been stuck on 3.

2. Golf is by far the most challenging, rewarding, and infuriating thing I have ever done. The constant and never ending pursuit of relative perfection draws me to it. I also enjoy trying out new equipment and seeing how it fits into my game. Plus ripping drives is pretty fun.

3. I've always relied upon MyGolfSpy reviews when researching, and have picked up forums and other articles here and there. I'm always looking for more golf content and this seems like a very solid spot to do so.

4. Living in Charlotte, NC; don't have one home course but most often played would be Tradition Golf Club.

5. There are a lot of nice courses within 45 minutes of the city, and being in the Piedmont, you can play courses that are very hilly or pretty flat. Pinehurst is also within 3 hours. Downside of Charlotte golf would probably be the price at some courses can be absurd for the quality; with that being said, you can play for very reasonable prices if you do it right.

6. I work in Finance; still waiting for that moment when my golf game helps my career lol.

7. Didn't really put that much thought into it beyond being my email.

• Like 2

Driver:     Ping G400 LST - Tour 65X

Woods:   Sub70 Pro - Project X LL X

Hybrid:    Callaway Apex - Kuro Kage 80HY X

Irons:       Sub70 639 Black MB - TT DG X100

Wedges: Titleist SM7 50* & 54*; Sub70 Black 58*

Putter:     Taylormade Spider Mini Diamond Silver

Ball:         Srixon Z-star

1 hour ago, Msnarr84 said:

Hi everyone,

1. I've been playing golf for almost 10 years, my handicap these days has been stuck on 3.

2. Golf is by far the most challenging, rewarding, and infuriating thing I have ever done. The constant and never ending pursuit of relative perfection draws me to it. I also enjoy trying out new equipment and seeing how it fits into my game. Plus ripping drives is pretty fun.

3. I've always relied upon MyGolfSpy reviews when researching, and have picked up forums and other articles here and there. I'm always looking for more golf content and this seems like a very solid spot to do so.

4. Living in Charlotte, NC; don't have one home course but most often played would be Tradition Golf Club.

5. There are a lot of nice courses within 45 minutes of the city, and being in the Piedmont, you can play courses that are very hilly or pretty flat. Pinehurst is also within 3 hours. Downside of Charlotte golf would probably be the price at some courses can be absurd for the quality; with that being said, you can play for very reasonable prices if you do it right.

6. I work in Finance; still waiting for that moment when my golf game helps my career lol.

7. Didn't really put that much thought into it beyond being my email.

Welcome aboard!

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56 / RTX-3 60
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter