Southeast: KY, TN, NC, SC, AL, GA, FL

Our Sponsors

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I went to the range with my dad as a kid a few times (whenever a vendor put on a tournament that he played in), then I started playing from time to time in the occasional charity tournament through my work after graduating. Caught the bug, now I’ve been playing pretty consistently for around a year and a half. My current handicap is a 17.4. 

2. What do you love about golf? I enjoy the challenge of the game, being outside, and the social aspect. I also enjoy the fact that there will always be something to work on. My worst rounds make me want to come back and play the next day more than anything. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I’ve always found the research to be fascinating and really value the data-centric mentality they approach things with. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I’m from Greer, South Carolina. My home course is Paris Mountain CC, but I also play quite a bit at Greer CC. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Being able to play year round, and the variety of courses in the upstate is really nice. The heat in the summer can be rough. 

6. What do you do for a living? I work in preconstruction for a commercial casework manufacturer. 

7. How’d you pick your user nameLive in SC, my name is Jake, and I was born in 94. 
  • Like 2
  • Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone, my name is Tanner and I am currently finishing up my business management degree at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. I have been playing golf on and off for about 10 years now.

Hello Fellow Spies. I'm not new to the site, but this the first time I've posted to this thread. I usually go to other threads to read and comment. I've been playing for 55 years. I didn't really take

Hi everyone, very much looking forward to conversing with the groups, my quick responses to the initial forum questions are below: How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap

Posted Images

On 1/21/2021 at 9:56 PM, SCJ1994 said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I went to the range with my dad as a kid a few times (whenever a vendor put on a tournament that he played in), then I started playing from time to time in the occasional charity tournament through my work after graduating. Caught the bug, now I’ve been playing pretty consistently for around a year and a half. My current handicap is a 17.4. 

2. What do you love about golf? I enjoy the challenge of the game, being outside, and the social aspect. I also enjoy the fact that there will always be something to work on. My worst rounds make me want to come back and play the next day more than anything. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I’ve always found the research to be fascinating and really value the data-centric mentality they approach things with. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I’m from Greer, South Carolina. My home course is Paris Mountain CC, but I also play quite a bit at Greer CC. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Being able to play year round, and the variety of courses in the upstate is really nice. The heat in the summer can be rough. 

6. What do you do for a living? I work in preconstruction for a commercial casework manufacturer. 

7. How’d you pick your user nameLive in SC, my name is Jake, and I was born in 94. 

We’re practically neighbors, I’m in Inman. I’ve never played Greer CC or Paris Mountain, both are on my list to play though. Let me know if you ever want to get a round in. I try to play weekday afternoons as much as possible. 

• Like 1

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

22 hours ago, Watchnut33 said:

We’re practically neighbors, I’m in Inman. I’ve never played Greer CC or Paris Mountain, both are on my list to play though. Let me know if you ever want to get a round in. I try to play weekday afternoons as much as possible. 

Small world! I'd love to go play sometime, Friday afternoons are generally best for me (although work has been crazy lately), hopefully things will settle down soon. I'll try to give you a shout.

• Like 2
On 1/22/2021 at 9:56 AM, SCJ1994 said:

Welcome here! 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello from the Sunshine State.

I have been a fan of mygolfspy for several years now and finally decided to join.

For the pass 20-years I have been blessed to combine my love of the game, with my extensive video production background to parley it into the position of Executive Producer of Golf America TV Show.  

Cheers!

• Like 2

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 17 years. 9.1 at the moment.

2. What do you love about golf? Is everything an acceptable answer? If I had to chose one thing, it would be the people. From playing partners to club professionals to the grounds crew and bartenders... It’s hard to have a bad day on the golf course when you are surrounded by quality individuals.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I have followed MGS for a while for reviews and best of lists; finally decided to check out the forums. Nope.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Bristol, TN. The Olde Farm (Bristol, VA)

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? World class golf. Course is closed from Jan 1 - March 23.

6. What do you do for a living? Wealth Management.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Name I’ve used since I was a kid and played MMORPG’s.

• Like 1

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've learned how to swing a 7 iron back in highschool 15 years ago and never tried or played golf till Jan 2021 so... about 5 weeks i suppose? I would love to know my handicap as well! Seeing as I've still have not been on the field yet, I suspect anywhere from +30 and infinity!

What do you love about golf?

Surprisingly I hated learning back in highschool but when I went to topgolf with my friends in January I just fell in love. It may have to do with I have not done any sports or anytype of physical activity since leaving the military 10 years ago. Now I look forward to going to the driving range and working on my swings and talking about golf with my friends and coworkers.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I was searching google for a golf community and poking my nose at places and i found MyGolfSpy. I've read some posts and I felt that the community isn't very hostile or negative towards newcomers.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I'm from Duluth, GA! There are so many golf courses and driving ranges! Pretty lucky for a brand new learner I suppose. I've yet to go on the field/course yet so I should start looking for a home course.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Good old Georgia weather should let me play or practice outdoors pretty much all year or most of the year. I can imagine trying to play in the summer heat would be pretty miserable unless I toughen up.

What do you do for a living?

I work in IT, Datacenter operations.

How’d you pick your user name?

I think it was a game ID I started using back in highschool.

Edited by sosuHands
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, sosuHands said:

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've learned how to swing a 7 iron back in highschool 15 years ago and never tried or played golf till Jan 2021 so... about 5 weeks i suppose? I would love to know my handicap as well! Seeing as I've still have not been on the field yet, I suspect anywhere from +30 and infinity!

What do you love about golf?

Surprisingly I hated learning back in highschool but when I went to topgolf with my friends in January I just fell in love. It may have to do with I have not done any sports or anytype of physical activity since leaving the military 10 years ago. Now I look forward to going to the driving range and working on my swings and talking about golf with my friends and coworkers.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I was searching google for a golf community and poking my nose at places and i found MyGolfSpy. I've read some posts and I felt that the community isn't very hostile or negative towards newcomers.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I'm from Duluth, GA! There are so many golf courses and driving ranges! Pretty lucky for a brand new learner I suppose. I've yet to go on the field/course yet so I should start looking for a home course.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Good old Georgia weather should let me play or practice outdoors pretty much all year or most of the year. I can imagine trying to play in the summer heat would be pretty miserable unless I toughen up.

What do you do for a living?

I work in IT, Datacenter operations.

How’d you pick your user name?

I think it was a game ID I started using back in highschool.

Welcome to the group. You've have come to the right place! For the most part people on here are willing to help and will not put you down. I've been on a few that were the complete opposite and it is definitely not conducive to a learning environment. Best of luck to you and lowering that handicap! 

• Like 6
  • Driver  :titelist-small: TSi 3 9*( Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65)
  • 3W  default_cobra-small.jpg.8f58a841b8297702abec5f95f4fc05ce.jpg Cobra Speedzone (Oban Isawa Red 04 Stiff 75) 14* or :callaway-small: Rogue (Aldila Synergy Stiff 60) 15*
  • 3H default_callaway-small.jpg.7a7fb9960a65b711373a949427403d8e.jpg Callaway Rogue (Aldila Synergy Stiff 60) 19* or :cobra-small: Speedzone (UST Recoil 480 ESX (F4))
  • 5-A :mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 22*-50*
  • 56* & 60* default_vokey-small.gif.df5eef7d30f8418f633a4b2e32b07941.gif SM8 56* S Grind 10*  (True Temper Dynamic Gold W) & SM8 60* S Grind 10* (True Temper Dynamic Gold W)
  • Putter default_scotty-small.jpg Newport 35" 1*
  • All clubs have :Arccos:
  • Ball :Snell: MTB-X, ProV1 :titelist-small:, or TP5 :taylormade-small:
  • Range Finder 1_In_Golf.png.97adec575f2fd3b7a728e6cc3c8bdf1f.pngBushnell Tour V4 Jolt Shift With Slope Patriot Pack
  • Bags  :1590477705_SunMountain: Sun Mountain C130 in Red, White, and Blue :titelist-small: Camo Players 4 Plus Stand Bag
  • Spikes  default_nike-small.jpg.53391a39fff9d697b262e2288c9fb3ce.jpgNike Infinity Pro, default_nike-small.jpg.53391a39fff9d697b262e2288c9fb3ce.jpgNike Roshe G Tour,default_nike-small.jpg.53391a39fff9d697b262e2288c9fb3ce.jpg Nike Janoski G Tour Puma.jpg.37ce18afb924b8741045a1aa0455719f.jpg Ignite NXT in Red, White, and Blue

Fabletics Promo Code is an American online streaming service shop that offers Discount Coupons up to 50%, For you to get menswear, ready - to - wear for both males and females, generally referred to it as 'activewear.' The firm is well recognized because of its e-commerce market model and it has 22 wood frame outlets as well. Buy Fabletics Coupon Code and avail up to 50% on all current offers, reasonably priced, and trendy running shoes. For just about any exercise, shop swim shorts, tank tops, jogging, shirts, blazers and much more Inexpensive, good quality and trendy girl's gym clothes.

• Like 1
On 11/13/2020 at 12:57 PM, EZlife007 said:

I've been playing golf since age eight (summer, 1990). My normal score is around 80. My handicap is in the mid 4s. I'm usually able to put together a couple low rounds a year and that keeps my handicap artificially low in my opinion. 

I love golf because it is a way for me to escape. Focusing on each shot allows me to forget about things going on off the course. 

I started reading MGS several years ago for the equipment reviews. I have only met one other Spy.  Interestingly enough, I noticed him on the putting green with an Evnroll putter and asked him if he reads MGS. He smiled and said it was what got him to buy the Evnroll. 

I live in Raleigh, North Carolina. I don't have a home course. I only play 10 to 12 rounds a year, so I play all over: Lonnie Poole, River Ridge, Pinehurst, Tobacco Road. I hit balls in my bonus room almost daily to stay somewhat sharp. 

Year round golf is what's best in our region. The worst thing seems to be the pace of play. I grew up playing in under 4 hours. Most public courses on the weekend seem to be okay with 5 hour rounds.

I am an attorney.

User name is my old AIM name from college. 

Welcome--- Is the old RGA course still out on Tryon Hills road??? My Dad was from Raleigh and I used to play there some. Have not done so in over 35 years. Last time I played in that area it was Prestonwood in Cary--- Back in the day used to gamble some at the old Arrowhead course on 70 in I guess you would call it Hillsborough

• Like 1

Driver --- TM M-6 Evenflow 5.5 R 45 gr--- 4W Adams Tight Lies 16* Bassara 55g R flex-- 5W Adams Tight Lies 19* Bassara 55g R Flex--- Irons 5 thru PW Taylor Made TP CB ( 2018)  Steelfiber I 95 R Flex--- GW Callaway X Jaws CC 52* stock steel shaft--- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400--- Putter Scotty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft "Rusty" Bag Old School Jones Classic 

On 1/9/2021 at 7:41 PM, Watchnut33 said:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I’ve played off and on since college, most years playing 15-20 rounds until my kids were born and then I played less than 20 rounds in 5 years. I moved from PA to Upstate SC in 2019 and golf became a way to meet new people and a year round option. Now I’m obsessed and set a goal of 40 rounds in 2021 after 35 in 2020. My goal was always to break 100 and to have fun, but now I’ve set my sights on breaking 80 (my low round of 84 has been done 3 times). My handicap was 23-24 early in 2020 and I’m down to just under 16 now with a goal to hit single digits  

2. What do you love about golf? It’s a great way to get outside, get some exercise and be competitive. Plus my kids are starting to take an interest in it after seeing me practice and play so much lately. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? A friend sent me the link after MGS was featured on ESPN. I don’t think I know any others.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I I’ve near Spartanburg SC, and play the most at Links O’Tryon in Campobello, SC.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is that I can play year round. Worst is that golf courses are busy year round.

6. What do you do for a living? I work in construction safety

7. How’d you pick your user name? I love mechanical watches. 

Welcome--- That Links of Tryon is one heck of a golf course----- I lived over in Gaffney for a while and sometimes snuck over to old Peach Valley in Spartanburg which I have heard now is closed. 

• Love 1

Driver --- TM M-6 Evenflow 5.5 R 45 gr--- 4W Adams Tight Lies 16* Bassara 55g R flex-- 5W Adams Tight Lies 19* Bassara 55g R Flex--- Irons 5 thru PW Taylor Made TP CB ( 2018)  Steelfiber I 95 R Flex--- GW Callaway X Jaws CC 52* stock steel shaft--- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400--- Putter Scotty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft "Rusty" Bag Old School Jones Classic 

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing since I was 12, so going into year 25 now! 7.3 handicap down from a 13 last year. Trending in the right direction!

2. What do you love about golf?

Everything. The eternal search for that perfect round.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I've been watching a lot of No Putts Given lately and just enjoy all the in-depth conversations. I don't know anyone else just yet.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Just north of Nashville. My home course is The Legacy in Springfield.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best thing is we can pretty much play year round. It gets a little chilly in the winter and pretty hot in the summer, but it's not too bad. The worst thing is probably the humidity. In the summer, it's really good to make sure a few towels are on hand.

6. What do you do for a living?

Auditing/Inventory Management

7. How’d you pick your user name?

I've used that as my email address since I had to get one in high school. Over par for obvious reasons (though I've had a couple under par rounds and several nines now) and the 7 is my high school number.

Glad to be part of the group and looking forward to checking out all the content!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9° w/ Diamana TB-series 50g stiff

Titleist TSi2 15° w/ Diamana TB-series 60g stiff

Titleist TSi2 18° w/ Diamana TB-series 60g stiff

Ping G425 22° 4 Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 68g stiff

Srixon ZX5 5-6 w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

Srixon ZX7 7-PW 1° strong w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

Vokey SM8 50.08 F Tour Chrome w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

Vokey SM8 54.10 S Tour Chrome w/ Dynamic Gold S200 wedge flex

Vokey SM8 58.08 M Tour Chrome w/ Dynamic Gold S200 wedge flex

PXG Mini Gunboat 34" w/ BGT Stability Tour Black and SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Hi all,

I just created an account today and thought I'd respond to the requested questions:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been playing golf since the early 1970's.  When I was a senior in high school I joined the golf team to get out of classes at the end of the day to practice.  My index is 10.5.  Roughly 11 years ago I was in a hit and run scooter accident which left me with a broken C5 (neck).  Not only did I had have to learn to walk and feed myself, I had to rebuild my golf game which completely changed.  While cleaning out my office, I found GHIN cards over 20 years old.  Interestingly enough, I had basically the same index since then.

2. What do you love about golf?  Walking outside, competing against the course and comradery. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I read a few threads on the forum and thought I'd give it a try.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I live at the end of the earth:  Key West, Florida.  The only course within 50+ miles is Key West Golf Club.  It's a classic Rees Jones course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Worst:  At the end of the earth, the closest golf retail store (or any store) is 150 miles away, only one course here and no real practice facilities.  Best:  Golf year round, even through one course, the shifting winds can dramatically change the course day to day.  Great group of guys I play with.

6. What do you do for a living?  I am recently retired. 

7. How’d you pick your user name?  It's a name I used on a previous golf-related forum and it likely reflects reality (just ask my wife).

I look forward to reading the great threads and opinions.

Golf2Much

• Like 1
Ping G400 SFT with a Distanza 40gr Senior shaft, 12 degrees
Callaway Epic Flash 15 degree 3 wood, with a stock Project X Evenflow 55 grams senior shaft.  
Calloway Epic GBB Epic 20 degree Heaven Wood, with a stock Diamana 40 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G hybrids, 4 (22 degrees) and 5 (26 degrees) with stock Alta 70 gram senior shafts.
Ping G30 irons 6-U, Yellow dot with graphite Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shafts
Ping Glide 56 degree sand wedge, Green dot with steel stock wedge flex, SS grind
Putters:  Too many to list
On 2/27/2021 at 4:02 AM, Golf2Much said:

Hi all,

I just created an account today and thought I'd respond to the requested questions:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been playing golf since the early 1970's.  When I was a senior in high school I joined the golf team to get out of classes at the end of the day to practice.  My index is 10.5.  Roughly 11 years ago I was in a hit and run scooter accident which left me with a broken C5 (neck).  Not only did I had have to learn to walk and feed myself, I had to rebuild my golf game which completely changed.  While cleaning out my office, I found GHIN cards over 20 years old.  Interestingly enough, I had basically the same index since then.

2. What do you love about golf?  Walking outside, competing against the course and comradery. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I read a few threads on the forum and thought I'd give it a try.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I live at the end of the earth:  Key West, Florida.  The only course within 50+ miles is Key West Golf Club.  It's a classic Rees Jones course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Worst:  At the end of the earth, the closest golf retail store (or any store) is 150 miles away, only one course here and no real practice facilities.  Best:  Golf year round, even through one course, the shifting winds can dramatically change the course day to day.  Great group of guys I play with.

6. What do you do for a living?  I am recently retired. 

7. How’d you pick your user name?  It's a name I used on a previous golf-related forum and it likely reflects reality (just ask my wife).

I look forward to reading the great threads and opinions.

Golf2Much

Hello and welcome ;)

Welcome to My Golf Spy, Golf2Much. The Forum where you can Learn, Live & Love Golf. Let me know if you get up to Tampa.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).