Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

MGS New Member Introduction: Midwest Region

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been playing for around 20 years, started when I was 11.  My handicap has been on the rise in past years due to less play/practice.  My wife and I had 3 kids in the past 4 years.  I was at a 2.4 about 3 years ago and currently at a 6.6 and my average score last year around 80.  This is the year that I get back down to at least a 3 handicap, I've been able to keep swinging in my garage net and will help avoid that awkward 4 - 6 weeks when you are getting back into "golf shape"

2. What do you love about golf?  I think the fact that you only are only playing the course and yourself, so the errors are completely your fault and there is no one else to blame.  Certainly the camaraderie and enjoyment from rounds with buddies.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  An outlet to talk golf and learn more about equipment and lastly to read reviews on what's out there.  I do not know any other spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Born and raised in Indianapolis, now residing in Fishers.  Do not really have a home course, but tend to play plum creek, purgatory, bear slide, the fort, etc.  Usually the more well kept courses in the area.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best I think would be the number of courses that are fairly well kept in my area and offer a challenge (Many course ratings of 73.5 and above) but the two worst thing in my opinion is that the courses seem to run together in my mind, meaning the layouts get to be fairly similar and the other being the weather.

6. What do you do for a living?  I work in the exciting field of truck insurance on the carrier side.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  With absolutely no creativity, it's a shortened version of my name.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Played a couple times a year with my dad growing up, but didn't start playing avidly until six years ago. I am a decidedly mediocre golfer: handicap hovers around 15. I play bogey golf. Except for one round last summer, where I caught fire (for me) and shot a 77. Working toward more of that.

What do you love about golf?

There's the obvious social element, which is valuable to me as a pastor. Second, I'm an analytic problem solver. Golf is just physics, right? It always seems like I should be able to figure it out, and solving that puzzle is deeply compelling to me. Third, I love gadgets and technology, and the training aids and launch monitors and the tech of the clubs themselves all feed that interest. Fourth, despite the frustrations of the game, being outdoors at the course is a wonderful release from the pressures of ministry. Finally, and increasingly importantly, I golf to spend time with my family, especially my son Kirke, who is six.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I was one who was lured here by the testing opportunities. Once I started getting involved, I found that this is the best internet forum on any topic that I've ever been a part of. Substantive discussion, even disagreement, but done with respect and camaraderie. About a year after becoming a regular participant, I applied to become a forum moderator.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live at the far west end of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I play almost all my golf at Gogebic Country Club.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

I love our course. This is a small community, and the course has a very laid-back personality. The manager loves having kids there, and is a big supporter of Kirke. In addition, I get a great rate (clergy discount, under $300 for all the golf I can get in). The worst is obvious: golf season at the very most is 8 months long, and more realistically six. Winter sometimes comes as early as October, and sometimes doesn't let up until May.

What do you do for a living?

I'm the pastor of Calvary Baptist Church of Wakefield, Michigan.

How’d you pick your user name?

Initially, I used mpatrickriley as my handle here. There are a lot of Michael Rileys in the world, and so I've tended to use the first-initial-middle-name user name, because it's available. Since becoming a moderator here, I've gone by GolfSpy MPR.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

How long have you been playing Golf?

Started playing 23 years ago.

Average Score?

Mid to high 70’s, looking to establish a handicap and play well enough to tryout for the same team our buddy KCLeo tried out for, a bit of work and rust to knock off first.

What do I love about golf?

I like that it is the ultimate test of oneself. I usually play alone, it’s my time to relax and enjoy nature. The challenge of hitting different shots is my new favorite thing to do. Bubba Watson is one of my favorites, as was Seve. They both were creative minds which made them fun to watch. What’s fun about hitting them dead straight every time?

What brings me to MGS? Do I know any other Spies?

I came for the PING Glide 2.0 wedge testing and have been here ever since. A great group of people here, I enjoy every minute of it. I don’t personally know any spies, but I am hoping to get some rounds in with the DMV crew this summer.

What is the best/worse thing about golf in my area?

The best is having the course to myself a lot. The worst is the 7 months of un-golfable weather.

What do I do for a living?

Search and Rescue

How’d I pick my username?

Well... my family is originally from Scotland, so I’m guessing they are absolutely terrible at golf to earn a surname like Shanks... apparently they made carriages, or had long legs... makes me cringe every time I write it, but it can be translated into Leggr. Maybe I’ll change it... so Shankster is a play on Shanks (my hideous but hilarious last name).

Bonus

I’ll be moving to Maryland this summer, so if any Great Lakes spies care to take a lap around a course with me, we have till June 1st.

A reintroduction.... From Northern Illinois. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? Since about 1998 or so. What’s your handicap or normal score? 3, although this winter weather always makes it a struggle to start the new season there. 

2. What do you love about golf? I love the fact that I can't conquer it. There's no mastering the game. Always something new to learn and a way to do better. I also love to compete. And I love to play with my dad and siblings. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I don't remember exactly how I found my way here. But I like to visit to learn new facts and interact with some good folks.  Do you already know any other Spies? I know a few from some other forums and as I've been around here I've met a few more.  

4. Where are you from? Northern Illinois.  What is your home course?  We play a lot of our golf at a local muni called Renwood. All our friends are there. But we like to get out and play anywhere we can! 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Summer weather is amazing. Winter weather SUCKS...a LOT. I hate it. 

6. What do you do for a living? Was in financial planning for 10 years....took some time off and have been substitute teaching. And now I'm finding my way back into financial planning refreshed and ready to go! 

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's EXTREMELY creative... it's a combo of my first name, last name and favorite number 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Hello again!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been playing golf for about 30 years.  I originally started the game because my older brother played and we had a large back yard to hit wedges.  My handicap usually hovers in the 5 - 6 range.  I'm hoping to lower that this year after spending the entire winter doing the SuperSpeed program and purchasing an Arccos system to track my shots.

2. What do you love about golf?  I love the challenge and variety of golf.  You can play multiple rounds at the same course and never have the same shot twice.  It's a game that can never be mastered but gives you just enough glimpses of greatness that you keep coming back to it.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I've been reading the site for a few years now but really made an effort to contribute more in 2018.  Being picked for the SuperSpeed program also forced me to log in daily to check up on my fellow testers and share my experiences with the training.  So far so good!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Born in Wisconsin, lived in Minneapolis for about 10 years, and have been back in Wisconsin for the last 7 years.  Most of the courses I play are in the Milwaukee area.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best is the quality of golf.  You wouldn't think a state that commonly sees only 6 months of nice weather would have many great public courses but there's quite a few fantastic tracks.  Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run, Erin Hills, SentryWorld, and Sand Valley just to name a few.  Worst part is obviously the long winters.

6. What do you do for a living?  Senior Analyst for a global recovery audit firm.  Boring computer work mostly 😐.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  The name of the mascot from my alma mater and CC for Country Club...or Carbon Copy....or Common Core....or Comedy Central....

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

4 hours ago, dhartmann34 said:

A reintroduction.... From Northern Illinois. 

7.  How’d you pick your user name? It's EXTREMELY created... it's a combo of my first name, last name and favorite number 🤣

Ahhh!!  Sweetness  Good choice!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

What do you love about golf?  I love the challenge and variety of golf.  You can play multiple rounds at the same course and never have the same shot twice.  It's a game that can never be mastered but gives you just enough glimpses of greatness that you keep coming back to it.

Wonderfully said!

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I've been playing since I was 13-14 years old. If my math is correct, that means that I have been playing for 21 years.  In all of that time, I have broken 90 just twice and both times were last season.  I am a 14 handicap and generally will shoot a 90-95.  Miraculously I shot an 83 and an 80 last year.  I have taken more time since joining MGS to work on my golf game and that has helped my consistency.

First, I love that golf is a social event.  Some of my most cherished memories are teeing it up with my dad and two brothers.  I am very fortunate that my wife plays as well as most of my friends.  
    Second, I love that golf asks you to do something different each time you play.  No shot is ever the same, even if it is the same yardage at the same course on the same hole as the day before. I enjoy the challenge that each round and each shot present to me as well as the joy of potentially solving the challenge.
    Third, I love that golf is for everyone.  No matter your age, gender, or ability, golf can be enjoyed by everyone.  While golf can present itself as exclusive, I have found that the sport of golf is inclusive more often than not.

I joined MyGolfSpy because I wanted to improve as a golfer, and my knowledge of equipment and technology was minimal. I have become an active participant in the forums because of the welcoming group that I have found.  It has been great to share and hear opinions from multiple people, even the opinions I don't agree with, as it is all done with mutual respect.  
    I unfortunately do not know any Spies outside of the forums. I am hoping that with more time, I will be able to meet and engage with them in the real world too.

I am originally from Akron, OH and now call Royal Oak, MI my home.  I moved to MI to be with my now wife and do not regret crossing the border into the "enemy state."
    My current home course is whichever course I can find that has the best deal.  I try to play many different courses so I can experience new challenges.  Last year, most of my golf was played at Royal Oak Golf Course in Royal Oak, MI and Timber Wolf Golf Club in Kalkaska, MI.  My in-laws live in Northern MI and Timber Wolf is very close to their home.

The best thing about golf in my region is the exorbitant amount of choices that I have in courses to play.  Michigan has an incredible amount of high quality golf courses to choose from.  I am fortunate to be able to experience both golf in Metro-Detroit and Northern Michigan.
    The worst thing about golf in my region is the fact that I cannot play year round due to weather.  Cold, ice, and snow are mainstays for 4-5 months out of the year.

I am a Communication Development Coach.  I help people learn how to communicate better and more effectively with their phone calls and emails to provide our internal and external clients a positive experience.

It is not the most original user name.  It is the first initial of my first name and my last name all slammed together.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

12 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Kalkaska? Thats not far from where I grew up, Charlevoix. I’ve only played 1 course south of the county line though. Don’t remember which one.

Charlevoix is a beautiful town.  We do enjoy visiting the different breweries in town.  I'm hoping one day to play Dunmaglas.

Charlevoix is a beautiful town.  We do enjoy visiting the different breweries in town.  I'm hoping one day to play Dunmaglas.

Don’t skip the Belvedere. Gorgeous course with lots of history. Dunmaglaus was a brute when I played it. Heard they chopped some of the 9’ tall fescue down. Great course for sure. The Otsego club in Gaylord is pretty amazing too.

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Don’t skip the Belvedere. Gorgeous course with lots of history. Dunmaglaus was a brute when I played it. Heard they chopped some of the 9’ tall fescue down. Great course for sure. The Otsego club in Gaylord is pretty amazing too.

Thanks for the tips. Most of my golf up there so far has been in Bellaire or Kalkaska.  Over time, I'll get to explore many more of the options.

Thanks for the tips. Most of my golf up there so far has been in Bellaire or Kalkaska.  Over time, I'll get to explore many more of the options.

No problem. Lochenheath and The Bear in Traverse City have been high in my list. But I’m going to bypass them this year. Hopefully knock out Arcadia Bluffs, Hidden River Golf and Casting Club, and one of the courses on Mackinaw Island before heading on our trip to Maryland.

I have the whole trip planned around golf. Should be a good one. I’ll make an Adventure’s of Shankster thread for the excursion.

I started playing golf in 2014 - I played college baseball and bought into the whole "golf will mess up your golf swing" - Yeah, that is a complete myth.. I actually found that the golf and baseball swing have a lot in common- anyway I digress - Normal score 75-80 

I love that golf is a game against yourself and the course. You aren't technically playing against a defender, or a pitcher, etc. I love that one day you can shoot a record low, and the next a record high.  

I don't know any other spies but if any are around, or want to play somewhere I would love to - I came to MGS because of the no BS attitude, and I can appreciate doing things the way you want to do them. I think major OEM's end up "buying" reviews and opinions and MGS cuts through the BS - its real content for a committed golfer.

I am from Akron, Ohio - hometown of the one and only Lebron James - Home course- Sable Creek and also just bought a membership to Windmill Lakes where Kent State University play.

Super easy- The winter, and random weather events. In Ohio you never know if the snow will last until April or May, and Start in September. We get all 4 seasons and it feels like it can happen at just about any moment. I have only played golf in Myrtle Beach, SC and here in Ohio- and it's not even a comparison to be honest- so I couldnt tell you what the best thing about golfing in this region is.

I work for the federal government - If I told you exactly what I did... I'd have to kill you. (JK, kinda)

KB are my initials and what some people call me as a nickname and then 23 and 13 were my college baseball Jersey numbers !

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

On 2/11/2019 at 5:27 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Midwest Region

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been playing regularly since I was 11 years old and now I'm 67 this year.  There were too many guys trying out for baseball an there was a golf course within walking distance of my house.  So I asked my dad to take me golfing.  He hated it because I was terrible and he was really good, like 37's and 38's every time to my 65's.  Now i have an honest 10 to 12 depending on the time of year.

2. What do you love about golf?   The personal challenge and the friends you make.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I stumbled on this site today and I figured it would assist in future thoughts of improvements and equipment.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I live in Oakwood Hills, Illinois on the Chalet Golf Course, but I play all around the area on a structured travel league.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best thing about golf in our region is the summers make for the best playing conditions and the abundance of nice courses.  The worst is our summers are too short and when golf season comes to a close all the league members go hide inside their homes until spring.

6. What do you do for a living?  I have my own business for 42 years now, we make things for the signage and bicycle industries.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  It's my first name and company name.

2. 15 years, HC is being left handed. mid eighties
  3. What do you love about golf?

4. the Engineering of the equipment, the metal aspect, the courses

5. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

6. I like to see other opinions on certain topics, I met my first spy at the PGA show this year

7. Where are you from? What is your home course?

8. Waverly, Ohio just past the banjo music, I like crown hill.

9. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

10. The clay holds water and makes for soggy terrain until April

11. What do you do for a living?

12. Own a driving range, custom fitting shop, club repair shop and work as a senior manager in the nuclear field.

13. How’d you pick your user name?

14. Name of the business and youtube channel

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

On 2/13/2019 at 8:17 PM, KAB2313 said:

I am from Akron, Ohio - hometown of the one and only Lebron James - Home course- Sable Creek and also just bought a membership to Windmill Lakes where Kent State University play.

@KAB2313 I got one of the memberships as well...hopefully we can play a round or two together.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I mucked around with golf for about 2 years way back in 1987 and 1988, then gave it away. I started playing again in 2005 when I married my wife and needed something to "bond" with my FIL. I'm currently about a 16 and my scores and go from high 80's to low 100's depending on how crap I play at the time.

It's hard, nothing worth doing is ever easy. You play against the course and it's all on yourself.

I can't remember, it's been a while. I think I saw an article, then saw that there was a forum so I joined in and like an STD, never really left.

I do now and have quite a few rounds now with some of them...always a good time.

I grew up in Sydney, Australia and moved to the US in 2005 to marry my wife. We currently live in Tallmadge, OH and plan on moving south in about 7 or so years. I now have a membership to Windmill Lakes Golf Club in Ravenna, so that's my home course...something I never thought I'd say.

The best is that it's still fairly cheap to play here compared to other states. The worst is the fact that we can only really play for 6-7 months of the year, or even less if you don't like the cold.

Work for local government with dreams of being a bar owner in Florida.

Put 2 and 2 together...

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Hi, everyone. I did one of these in the old format, but thought I'd join in here, too.

I first played golf when I was in elementary school. I grew up on a farm and had plenty of lawn to smack balls around using some old clubs my father had. Despite farming being nearly a full-time job in itself, he worked an office job during the day and occasionally played golf for business meetings. My first on course memories are playing a local short course with him a few times, maybe once a year, until I was 12 or 13.

I played baseball in high school, but the summer after getting my license I started to play more golf with my friends. I started with my uncle's set of Walter Hagen blades and Persimmon woods. I got my first "real" set of clubs, a RAM G-Force box set with a 460cc driver and cavity back irons, that Christmas. I played a lot through college, getting new Nike CCI cast irons my freshman year (which I just sold in January) and broke 90 once the fall of junior year when I was playing three times a week.

After college my wife and I moved around a lot, spending several years in Wyoming and New Mexico, before making our way back to Michigan in 2017.

Last spring, after having a disastrously embarrassing golf outing for work, I decided to completely start over with my swing and dedicate more time to golf. I've never taken a formal golf lesson, so piecing together a brand new swing from YouTube and the Internet took all summer, into fall and finally has taken hold this winter. I have played two nine-hole rounds with this new "work in progress" swing, shooting in the mid 40s in difficult conditions both times. My goal for this summer is to break 90 on 18 (par 72), or 42 on nine (par 36). There are a few "easy" nine holes around me, hence the lower nine hole score.

I completely revamped by bag this past fall and winter as well. I have a new driver, 3 wood, irons, putter and wedges since last summer, and I am playing a few different kinds of new balls (Srixon Q-Star Tour, Taylormade Project (a), Snell MTB and Vice Pro will be first up in testing). 

I also recently built a set of DIY SuperSpeed sticks and started training this week. After two trainings the green (lightest) club is up to about 120 mph average, which should translate to about 100 mph driver speed. My goal is to get the green club up to 130 mph average. I do large compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, bench) three times a week and do weighted isometric golf holds in addition to the SuperSpeed training.

I also just purchased a DST Compressor 8 iron and am excited to get to work with it.

I would also eventually like to venture into modifying/making my own clubs, and DIY work like re-gripping clubs for friends and family.

I've always been a competitive person. After playing baseball in high school, golf has filled a competitive niche for me. It's always fun to try to better your game and score. In that way, golf is also extremely humbling. Struggling like I did last summer really put a lot of life into better perspective. Golf is just a game after all, and it should be fun.

I've been a long-time reader of MyGolfSpy and love the objectiveness of the testing conducted. And, unlike some other Internet golf forums, the people here are incredibly helpful and insightful. I do not know other Spies. However, I do know there are several from Michigan and some that are pretty near me. It'd be fun to get together sometime for a round.

I am from West Michigan. I do not have a home course, though some of my favorites in this region include Diamond Springs Golf Course in Hamilton and Meadows Golf Course at Grand Valley State University in Allendale. We have several other great courses in the area. My goal for this season to is play Cedar Chase in Cedar Springs and The Mines in Grand Rapids.

The best thing about golf in West Michigan is the absolute plethora of courses to choose from. Growing up, there were probably 8 golf courses within a 20 minute drive of my home. Currently, I can think of more than 10 that are within 20-30 minutes of my residence.

The worst thing about golf in Michigan is the weather. If you are well equipped and willing to play in less than stellar conditions, you might be able to play from mid-March to beginning of November. I played nine holes in January this year, and could have played more days if I had better cold weather gear. Although since late January we've had more snow than most years, and I doubt I'll be able to get out again until late March.

Offseason options are also extremely limited in West Michigan, with there only being two driving ranges that I know of with heated stalls. Simulators here are ridiculously expensive. The east side of the state is much better in that regard, or so I've been told.

I work in IT. My background before IT was in sports journalism (you'll notice I hate Oxford commas). I apologize for the long-winded post, but I still love to write. I've had some amazing opportunities because of that, including working at the National Baseball Hall of Fame for a summer. Some of my writing has been published in the Denver Post and also in a book by the Hall of Fame. 

I'm Cody, that's where the C is from. Add my last name and you've got my username.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 2/13/2019 at 8:17 PM, KAB2313 said:

Welcome! @MattF and I have played together a few times and will undoubtedly get together at least a few times this year. It'd be great if you could join us. I've only played Windmill Lakes once, but really enjoyed it. I've heard good things about Sable Creek but have never played there.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Hello everyone! My name is Mike. I am 40 and live in the awesome state of OHIO! I currently live in Columbus and I carry a 4 handicap. I try and play a few times a month now that I am back in school and have two jobs. I am coming back from a 10 year break away from the game. I used to be a titleist junky but I have been converted to a cobra guy. I love the stuff they are coming out with. I currently play the pro cb's from 2008 and they are amazing. For someone that plays a real player's iron the technology hasn't changed too much in the last couple decades it seems. 

Driver- Cobra LTD (Matrix Ozik Black-tie 65M4 stiff tipped 1/2")

3wood - Cobra Fly-Z+ (Fujikura Vista Pro 70 series- stiff tipped 1/2")

Hybrid - Cobra Bio Cell (Stock ProjectX- stiff)

Irons - Cobra Pro CB's (Project X 5.5 Hardstepped)

Wedges - Vokey (50/54/58)

Putter - Oddysey O-Works 1w Red

Ball - Nike RZN Tour Platinum(Til my stash is gone)

Handicap - 4.2

56 minutes ago, Xdmike20 said:

Hello everyone! My name is Mike. I am 40 and live in the awesome state of OHIO! I currently live in Columbus and I carry a 4 handicap. I try and play a few times a month now that I am back in school and have two jobs. I am coming back from a 10 year break away from the game. I used to be a titleist junky but I have been converted to a cobra guy. I love the stuff they are coming out with. I currently play the pro cb's from 2008 and they are amazing. For someone that plays a real player's iron the technology hasn't changed too much in the last couple decades it seems. 

Welcome from Akron! 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

On 2/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, MaxEntropy said:

Welcome! @MattF and I have played together a few times and will undoubtedly get together at least a few times this year. It'd be great if you could join us. I've only played Windmill Lakes once, but really enjoyed it. I've heard good things about Sable Creek but have never played there.

@MaxEntropy @MattF Yes! I'm definitely in once this weather clears up! Hoping for a couple 50 degree days soon - get some outside range work in ! 

I play Sable quite a bit, really awesome course.. Not as tree lined as Windmill. 

KB

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

2 hours ago, Xdmike20 said:

Hey Mike! Welcome... 

Have you played the Virtues Club? Formally known as Longaberger?! One of my favorite courses - a few friends and I take a weekend trip down and play a couple rounds there.

KB

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

Welcome to MGS from Metro-Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Hi everyone! Love this website and am making the jump to introduce myself.. my name is Zac. I have been playing since Granpa cut some clubs down for me when i was 6-7 sooo that would make it about 40 years! Yikes! My handicap is 3.4 as of the the end of the season in MN, but I can tell you after 3 rounds in Phoenix a couple weeks ago you can double that right now..Always happy to break 80 which I do pretty consistently.I love  the personal struggle that golf is and how to handle it."golf IS life" Also the social aspects of meeting new people and most of my life long best friends are regulars in our foursomes..As a professed gearhead i love MGS as a place to read reviews from your average golfer..and I do know a couple fellow spies. From Minnesota born and mostly raised. My home course is Blackberry Ridge Golf Club in Sartell,MN where I am the assistant superintendent so that takes care of the "what i do for a living" part.. truly the greatest job in the world minus digging up irrigation leaks...The best part about MN golf is we can grow the most amazing bentgrass anywhere in the country..the worst part is it only grows for about 6 month of the year if we are lucky..haha User name? one step backward one step forward..

On 2/23/2019 at 10:23 AM, cazac said:

Hi everyone! Love this website and am making the jump to introduce myself.. my name is Zac. I have been playing since Granpa cut some clubs down for me when i was 6-7 sooo that would make it about 40 years! Yikes! My handicap is 3.4 as of the the end of the season in MN, but I can tell you after 3 rounds in Phoenix a couple weeks ago you can double that right now..Always happy to break 80 which I do pretty consistently.I love  the personal struggle that golf is and how to handle it."golf IS life" Also the social aspects of meeting new people and most of my life long best friends are regulars in our foursomes..As a professed gearhead i love MGS as a place to read reviews from your average golfer..and I do know a couple fellow spies. From Minnesota born and mostly raised. My home course is Blackberry Ridge Golf Club in Sartell,MN where I am the assistant superintendent so that takes care of the "what i do for a living" part.. truly the greatest job in the world minus digging up irrigation leaks...The best part about MN golf is we can grow the most amazing bentgrass anywhere in the country..the worst part is it only grows for about 6 month of the year if we are lucky..haha User name? one step backward one step forward..

Welcome from West Michigan. Had the chance to play a couple courses near Minneapolis last fall and was impressed.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:
  • How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• What do you love about golf?

• What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Where are you from? What is your home course?

• What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• What do you do for a living?

• How’d you pick your user name?

1.  I have been golfing for 32 years now.  I currently play to a +3.3 hdcp.

2.  I love golf for 2 reasons.  First it was about family growing up.  I always will enjoy golfing with my dad and now getting my kids into the game.  2nd I enjoy the competition.  Nothing like nerves to let you know your game still needs work.

3.  I have been on MGS for over 5 years now.  I like this community because it is a community.  Be active and enjoy.  Everyone is very nice here.  I know a few other spies but not many.

4. I currently live just outside of Champaign, IL (U of Illinois "GOLF SCHOOL").  My home course is Urbana Country Club.

5.  The best thing about golf in Illinois is the warm summers and playing till just about 8pm.  The worst is our season is very short. It would be great to play year round.

6.  I am a sales manager for a Maintenance of Way Railroad company.  We manufacture the machines that replace the spikes and ties.

7.  In a former life I would build clubs and sell them.  The name stuck.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf