TESTERS WANTED! ×

Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• Only about 2 years now, didn't touch a club prior.

• Average score in the mid-90s

2. What do you love about golf?

• Love competing not only against others but myself. Also, strangely enough, really enjoy how frustrating the game can be at times

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Primarily reviews and commentary

• Do not currently know any other Spies

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

• Minneapolis, MN

• Was Crystal Lake GC but now Braemar GC due to proximity

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Best: Tons of courses within a 30 minute drive

• Worst: Winter

6. What do you do for a living?

• Corporate Finance

7. How’d you pick your user name?

• Nickname a friend randomly gave me

First round ever was about ten years ago. Current 11 HC.

Love having so many options what shots to hit, what equipment you can select and combing these together strategically.

3.  What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Ran into NoPuttsGiven on YouTube. Loved the contents, and wanted to be more involved.

4.  Where are you from? What is your home course?

Born in Japan. Home course is Eagle Crest in Yipsilanti, MI.

5.  What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Closed down for 4~5months due to weather. During the season it's fabulous. Great courses with great rates, not over crowded overall. 

6.  What do you do for a living?

Work in sales. Occasionally have the luxury of entertaining clients on the golf course.

7.  How’d you pick your user name?

Not much meaning. 8 is my lucky number.

New to the discussion board here and trying to "get my wings" so to speak ... 

1. How long have you been playing golf? - Started nearly 50 years ago (57 now - 8 then)
  2. What’s your handicap or normal score? - 'Cap varies - about 9-10 nowadays
  3. What do you love about golf? - Can play alone or with a group, the never ending challenge(s) both physically and mentally
  4. What brings you to MGS? - Have been with them on the fringes since they started, now getting involved in a tangible way

5. Do you already know any other Spies? - nope

6. Where are you from? - Cincinnati area

7. What is your home course? - Member at Stonelick Hills

8. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - Limited season due to winter - nice amount of and different types courses around

9. What do you do for a living? - Run a small manufacturing company

10. How’d you pick your user name? - dart board 

'06 Champion 033.jpg

Hello gang.  Glad to join the group

55yr old pharmacist. 
been playing 40+ years 
im a 2.1 hdcp ( currently playing to probably an 8–haha— got the hooks going on with my driver)

current with:  guess you could call me Team Hogan player

Driver:  Hogan GS53 10.5*  tensei Blue stiff. 1/2in short

FW Wood:   Hogan 16*. 
                              Hybrid:        Hogan VKTR 21*

Irons:          Hogan PTx. 24*/28*/32*/36*/40*/44*/48*/52*/56*

LW-  Bettinardi 60*

Putter:         Scotty Cameron Futura X7 35in

Ball:             Vice Pro or Titleist Pro V1

I am 31 years old and have been playing golf for 26 years. I grew up playing at a small 9 hole campground course in Iowa where a junior membership for the year was $100 or so. My current handicap is 3.7 and I normally shoot between mid-low 70's and low 80's

1. What do you love about golf?

I love the challenge of golf and the competition when playing with others. I also love how humbling the game is, you can have one of your best rounds of the year and the very next time you go out and play you shoot one of your worse scores. And finally I love the creativity of golf - having to try to hit crazy shots or being extra creative around the greens. 

1. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I know one other Spy, who basically introduced me to the site, but I had heard of it before. What really brought me here though is the independent club testing, that’s what I’m most interested in. I wanted another source of information of data for clubs, balls, equipments, etc.

1. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Don’t have a home course but love to play lots of public courses in the area. If I had to say which one I play the most it is probably Kaufman golf course or Thornapple Pointe

1. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Lots of affordable options for public courses, and a lot of them are really good quality too. Worst thing is the limited time to golf due to the long winters.

1. What do you do for a living?

I’m a mechanical engineer who does product design and product development.

1. How’d you pick your user name?

I’m lame and just use my name.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? First round when I was 18. Started really playing when I was 20. So 40 years. I have been as low as a 3/4 (when I was a club pro). Right now 6/7.

2. What do you love about golf? The first thing that brought me to the game was to be able to compete with my buddies from work. After playing for a very short time the time you had to put in the game to practice and get better really hooked me. I love the time you can just grab a few golf balls and chip/putt and see the improvement right away. The fact it is just you and the course even when you are playing a match it is still you vs the course.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Just my thirst for more knowledge about this great game and everything that goes along with it.  With all the testing done here makes it a great place to learn more information. I love I can come here and get honest and none bias information. 

I am from Dayton, Ohio. I play around the area both private and public courses.

The best thing about golf in my region are the exorbitant amount of great golf courses. Even in our small town we have three different courses that have held majors.   Cold, ice, and snow are here too long, about 3-4 months out of the year.

I own a small company that does silk screen, embroidery, direct to garment items. We can do team jerseys, spirit packs for team parents, corporate apparel. Help with retail sales in a local golf shop.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  It is my initials and year born

I've played a few rounds a year for most of my life, but really started getting into playing more seriously over the last 3 years, pretty much starting from a blank canvas since my previous golf could be described as "hacker". (maybe still so)

1. What do you love about golf?

Since I've stared playing more over the last three years, I've fallen in love with the challenge and the camaraderie of the sport. I've always been in a sport from 1st grade on, but I've never found a sport that continues to challenge and inspire me to be the best I can be at something I'm certain is impossible to master.

Along with finding the golf community of amazing people you find yourself paired with, or just playing with your buddies, the people cant be beat.  

1. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I found MyGolfSpy through Instagram as I was trying to figure out how to swing a club. The transparency and methods of testing and reviewing clubs was extremely helpful as I was learning the sport and continues to be. 

1. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live in Minnesota in the Twin Cities and don't have a home course. I really love to explore and play all the vast public courses in the area and get the best golf has to offer in its variety of course lay out. 

1. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best is the sheer number of quality public courses in the area, the robust golf community, and because of that, reasonable prices. The obvious worst part of the region is the shortened season, but we make up for it by playing in the simulators.

1. What do you do for a living?

I work in the healthcare industry as a Perfusionist.

1. How’d you pick your user name?

I just used what mama gave me. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Walter8 said:

Home course is Eagle Crest in Yipsilanti, MI.

I used to go to a yearly conference there and part of the entertainment was playing golf for those interested. It's been almost 20 years since that conference ended, but as I recall, that was a fun course.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Hi All. Excited to be here. Craving any golf outlet while stuck inside.

• How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• I've been playing golf since I was 11, so 25 years. My handicap is 6. 

• What do you love about golf?

• I love the connection between the mind and body. I also love and appreciate the difficulty of the game. It's always a challenge. I also love walking on beautiful properties on beautiful days playing a game with hundreds of years of history. I love to geek out on equipment. So much to love.

• What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• I enjoy the data drive approach to equipment evaluation and the non-affiliated opinions. I don't know any other Spies. 

• Where are you from? What is your home course?

• I am from Bainbridge Island, WA and grew up playing Wing Point Country Club. Now I reside in Milwaukee and play Brown Deer often. 

• What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Best is the number of quality courses for affordable prices. Worst is the weather. THE WEATHER. 

• What do you do for a living?

• Sales leadership for startups. 

• How’d you pick your user name?

• It was my AIM name in middle school. You knew that!

Driver:titelist-small: TS2 8.5 Evenflow S Flex
Hybrid:titelist-small: 818H1 Tensei S Flex
Irons:mizuno-small: HMB 4 Iron, MMC 5-7 Iron, MP-20 8-PW - Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S18 50, 55, 60
Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4
Ball: MfleKCg.jpg Pro
Bag:  982577014_JonesLogo.png.4a7228fd596fffddf10abade61f8e5e4.png

:Arccos: logo-thegrint-meta.jpg.7f3e0565ee1042bfc4f75feb63d2fe07.jpg

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Played a bunch in high school 20 years ago, but just a few times a year since. Shoot around 90.

2. What do you love about golf? Outside with no distractions.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Testing

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Minneapolis. Don't know yet, just moved here.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Seasonal. Lots of trees.

6. What do you do for a living?  Arborist

7. How’d you pick your user name?  not a lot of thought

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing golf since I was 13 or 14, 39 now.

2. What do you love about golf? Being outdoors, the camaraderie, also being solitary when desired.  The chance to just go do your own things and work on something and see results

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I love the reviews and unbiased testing.  I do not believe I know any other spies

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I am originally from Victoria BC, Canada.  Live in Fort Wayne IN, and my home course is Pine Valley Country Club in Fort Wayne.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  We have a super short gold season.  Back home in BC, we can pretty much play year round.  Lots of affordable public courses in the area is a positive aspect I like about golf in the midwest.

6. What do you do for a living? I am a retired professional hockey player and now working as a mortgage banker

7. How’d you pick your user name?  my long time nickname and the year I graduated Dartmouth, my Alma Mater 

1. How long have you been playing golf?  What is your handicap or normal score??

I played golf when I was a kid, but did not play for nearly ten years until picking the game back up in 2010.  Since there I've played non-stop. I shoot in the low to mid 80s.

I love everything.  The comradery, the long practices, every time someone makes a bad shot and then comes right back with a great shot, and the understanding of the mechanism of the swing.  I love researching, reading equipment reviews, and articles written by average golfers like myself.  I love watching, discussing, and thinking about golf. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?  Do you know any other spies? 

The website and articles are tremendous.  I want to meet other spies and read their thoughts on equipment and other elements of the game.  I don't know any other spies.

4. Where are you from?  What is your home course?

I'm from Charleston, WV originally, but moved to Ohio in 2004 and now reside near Cleveland, Ohio.  My home course is Mallard Creek in Columbia Station.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The weather is definitely the worst.  One can easily miss months play due to rain or cold temperatures.  The best is that there are so many different and varied courses.

6.What do you do for a living?

I am a lawyer.

7. How'd you pick your username?

I use the name for every golf website thread.

Driver - PXG XF Gen2 13 degrees

Fairway - Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 17 degrees

Hybrids - Callaway Big Bertha '19 22, 25, 28, and 31 degree

Irons - PXG 0211 8 thru GW

Wedges - Cobra King Pur 54 degree and Taylormade Hi Toe 60 degree

Putter - PXG Mini Gunboat

Ball - Wilson Duo Soft+

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I figured it has the highest chance to be seen here by people who are local and could help rather than in one of the other forum sections so...

After not being able to get out and play much for the last 5 years after my son was born, I was hoping to get back into golfing again this summer. I was planning on getting some new clubs (irons & driver) around mid-season here once I got some consistency back into my swing because A) it's probably time since my current clubs are from '08 and B) I'm pretty sure I got a bad fitting at golf galaxy back when I bought them and they may not be the right specs for me. 

What I am looking for is some recommendations on club fitters (specific individual's names) to see in the Chicago suburbs (or the city). There are a lot of options around here with 4 different club champion locations within an hour, cool clubs, true spec golf, golftec and I'm sure other non-chain places that should be considered. I know that all of these chains are listed on the various golf magazines' list of "top fitters" but I have a hard time putting much stock in that since each location is only as good as the fitter that works there. 

I realize the importance of a good fitting so I want to make sure I get my money worth, but I also have a budget for total golf expenditures this year so I'm not necessarily looking to spend $400 on a fitter if there is an independent one that would be just as good for half the price. Whatever I spend on the fitting will directly reduce what I have left for lessons and playing, etc. Given that I'm around a 20 handicap, my guess is I'm going to end up with a stock or no-charge upgrade shaft so going to a place that has a bunch of exotic shafts to try out probably isn't super important to me.  With my lack of consistency, I figure my money is going to be better spent on lessons.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ChitownM2

1. How long have you been playing golf?  What is your handicap or normal score??
       I played golf when I was a kid, but did not play for nearly ten years until picking the game back up in 2010.  Since there I've played non-stop. I shoot in the low to mid 80s.
      I love everything.  The comradery, the long practices, every time someone makes a bad shot and then comes right back with a great shot, and the understanding of the mechanism of the swing.  I love researching, reading equipment reviews, and articles written by average golfers like myself.  I love watching, discussing, and thinking about golf. 
3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?  Do you know any other spies? 
     The website and articles are tremendous.  I want to meet other spies and read their thoughts on equipment and other elements of the game.  I don't know any other spies.
4. Where are you from?  What is your home course?
     I'm from Charleston, WV originally, but moved to Ohio in 2004 and now reside near Cleveland, Ohio.  My home course is Mallard Creek in Columbia Station.
5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?
    The weather is definitely the worst.  One can easily miss months play due to rain or cold temperatures.  The best is that there are so many different and varied courses.
6.What do you do for a living?
    I am a lawyer.
7. How'd you pick your username?
    I use the name for every golf website thread.

Dave, there are a bunch of guys here from northeast Ohio. I use to be a eastsider but now live on Catawba Island.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

16 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Dave, there are a bunch of guys here from northeast Ohio. I use to be a eastsider but now live on Catawba Island.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

And here's the link if you want to follow it - started by @Tsmithjr9 who I believe is a westsider. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've been playing golf about 25 years.  I gave up baseball after college and began to golf as a competitive outlet.  My handicap is a 5.  

I love the competition golf provides between friends and oneself. 

I first learned of MyGolfSpy last year when somebody posted the golf ball study on Twitter.  I read it and was hooked.  I listen to the No Putts Given podcast and read everything they publish.

I live in Pierson Michigan and my home course is Pilgrim's Run.  I don't have a membership, but I work as a starter and marshal so I can play when they have open tee times.

The best things about Michigan golf: picturesque landscapes, dead and dormant grass turning to a lush green, and the passion golfers have for the game.  The worst thing: 6 month season!

I teach 7th grade mathematics for another 5 years.  Plan is to retire in 5, get my Personal trainer certification and give lessons in the afternoon/evening and golf in the morning!

My username is my email, but it started out as a joke.  When I quit playing baseball and started golf, I wasn't very good.  My score was usually in the 110's.  After maybe our third or fourth time playing, my buddy said, "You certainly aren't a golfphenom!"  I created a new email address and have been using it ever since.

hey all,

I'm going to be heading up to Minneapolis for two weeks to visit the in-laws. What's the golf scene like right now? I hear the courses are open.

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

2 hours ago, adamflowers said:

hey all,

I'm going to be heading up to Minneapolis for two weeks to visit the in-laws. What's the golf scene like right now? I hear the courses are open.

You might get more feedback if you post a thread in the "Arrange a Game..." section.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing for...20 years.  My normal score floats in the mid to high 80's.

2. What do you love about golf?  The passion and obsession that golfers have for the game regardless of handicap.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  It's the largest/greatest golf community that I'm aware of.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from the suburbs of Chicago.  I live in Elgin, so my home course would be the Highlands of Elgin.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Weather.  Hands down.  Illinois weather is terrible to golf lovers.  We do appreciate the good days though.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a product designer and founder of NEXShot Golf.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  It's the name of my company.

10 hours ago, NEXShotGolf said:
  • What do you do for a living? I'm a product designer and founder of NEXShot Golf.

• How’d you pick your user name?  It's the name of my company.

That looks intriguing.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

- I've been a caddy at Butler National in high school and have just recently been able to afford to play this amazing sport. Also an avid triathlete, cyclist and tennis player so thought this would be a great addition!

- This sport brings me close to nature along with its inherent ability to continuously challenge my capabilities.

- MyGolfSpy's YouTube channel not only does it provide a vast abundance of insight,  MGS is also very transparent.

- Chicagoland (IL). My homecourse, when I could afford it is Butler National, in the meantime it's Fresh Meadows.

- Golf courses are pretty to come by both in the suburbs and the city.

- IT Guy

- Initials and it just rolls of the tongue

Edited by kemido
Response to #7

Vintage Ping Eye 2 player. Once I've mastered my game I will upgrade!

1. Started playing golf after college so I've been at it for a while.  Got serious about 10 or 15 years ago when I had a job near the local muni so I could hit the range or putting green almost every noon.  Got my handicap down to a 9 but struggling to keep it there now with not as much practice - go figure.

2. I love the walk, the sound and feel of a flushed shot, the camraderie, the side bets with my group, and even playing with my wife.  I especially love a nice cold beverage after the round.

3. Someone mentioned MGS a number of years ago so I checked it out and have been hooked ever since.  I have donated money.

4. I live in Appleton, WI.   I play in a nine hole league after work on Thursdays at Reid GC, the local muni - actually a really nice course, and then Saturday mornings at Chaska, another pretty nice course - less trees but longer with sloping greens. 

5. Living in the northern area so playing time is limited to late April to October but exceptionally nice from June through Sept.   

6. I am an independent Salesforce consultant specializing in helping orgs with sales and service teams get more effective and efficient so they have more time to play golf.

7. That's been my handle since the internet started. I used to work for an ISP when things were just getting going and Jim was taken so I became appletonjim.

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I have played since I was in college, started as something to do while drinking and  the course I played had cheap beer.  I am now a 4 handicap.  

2. What do you love about golf?  I like the challenge and that is all about you versus the course.  I also like having time with friends and now my son and being outside.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  A friend told me and said it was a great place for advice.  I have used it for years but finally decided to join.  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Wheaton Il, I play anywhere I can find.  

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best is the number of good courses locally.  The worst is the winters.  

6. What do you do for a living?  I am an Econ teacher.  

7. How’d you pick your user name?  It is the nickname I have had most of my life.  

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been playing golf on and off for about 20 years. Started with my Grandpa taking me to the course and taking all of his advice. Never really had lessons, (other than everyone I golf with telling me what I'm doing wrong). My normal score is about 100. 

1. What do you love about golf? I love being out in the open spaces and competing against myself to be better when I get the chance to get out. 

2. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Found MyGolfSpy through No Putts Given on Youtube. I was also looking at a new ball to get my dad for Christmas. I stumbled upon#finditcutit. Now I've started watching No Putts Given from episode 1. I also love all of the branding, hit squad shirts are killer and if I ever get to the place to test a product, I will buy a hit squad shirt. 

3. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Wooster, Ohio and I don't have a home course yet, but a course called Riceland seems to be the top contender. 

4. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best, Courses aren't usually completely packed and most people play pretty quickly. Worst, there is more emphasis on weekend golfing and carts rather than walking and honing skills. I usually feel like I'm in the way if I walk. 

5. What do you do for a living? I'm a Customer Service Rep. for a Digital Marketing company

6. How’d you pick your user name? First name last name combo 

I have been playing golf for 15 years. My normal score is 85 to 95. Depending on how I hit em.

I love being able to get outside and enjoy the challenge boh physically and mentally that golf brings. No two shoots are the same!

I joined MyGolfSpy because I really like getting opinions on equipment and just the game in general. I do not know any other spies.

I am from MN and I would consider Crystal Lake Golf Course.

The MN golf community is awesome. A lot of helpfully and generally nice people. I have never been randomly paired with a group that makes me feel alienated. The worst part is the winter. I know classic MN answer.

I am a high school science teacher.

First name and last name comb.

32 minutes ago, evcihon said:

I'm from Wooster, Ohio and I don't have a home course yet, but a course called Riceland seems to be the top contender. 

I played Riceland last summer for the first time. Decent track and I had a lot of fun. Keep an eye out for Ohio get-togethers. We usually try to play a couple times a year.

Hi All,

I’m from Batavia, OH.  That’s about 20 miles east of downtown Cincinnati.  It’s a great area for golfers — lots of courses per golfer around here, so it’s easy to get onto a decent course for $30-35 greens fees.

My league plays Hickory Woods GC as its home course.  But we play away on alternate weeks, so we get to play a lot of courses in the Cincinnati area.

I started playing when I was about 13 y.o.  My then-50-y.o. step father had a scratch handicap and a swing like BenHogan’s. I learned my swing from him.  Most who see it wish theirs looked like mine. But, I have to be honest here, it has never worked for me like it did for him.  Typically, I score in the low 90s.  My best-ever score was 82, which I shot at Hickory woods about five years ago.

I’d sure like to break 80.  I’m a retired mechanical engineer.  Since retiring I’ve spent a lot of time studying the golf swing and improving mine.  My game has improved quite a bit.  Also, I can still consistently drive the ball 220 yds, so I think my chances of breaking 80 are pretty good.  But I recently passed my 83 birthday, so it is going to have to happen soon.

Oh, about "VanTrago," my pseudonym:  I chose that for two reasons: first, I wanted a name that would be unique and easily remembered, and second, I liked the sound of it.  Well, Google is now telling me that it is not as unique as I had expected.  Perhaps, "O'Fallahan" (which I've used on other sites) would have been better.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:21 PM, appletonjim said:
  1. Started playing golf after college so I've been at it for a while.  Got serious about 10 or 15 years ago when I had a job near the local muni so I could hit the range or putting green almost every noon.  Got my handicap down to a 9 but struggling to keep it there now with not as much practice - go figure.

2. I love the walk, the sound and feel of a flushed shot, the camraderie, the side bets with my group, and even playing with my wife.  I especially love a nice cold beverage after the round.

3. Someone mentioned MGS a number of years ago so I checked it out and have been hooked ever since.  I have donated money.

4. I live in Appleton, WI.   I play in a nine hole league after work on Thursdays at Reid GC, the local muni - actually a really nice course, and then Saturday mornings at Chaska, another pretty nice course - less trees but longer with sloping greens. 

5. Living in the northern area so playing time is limited to late April to October but exceptionally nice from June through Sept.   

6. I am an independent Salesforce consultant specializing in helping orgs with sales and service teams get more effective and efficient so they have more time to play golf.

7. That's been my handle since the internet started. I used to work for an ISP when things were just getting going and Jim was taken so I became appletonjim.

Love golf in middle/northern Wisconsin. Love Lake Arrowhead in Nekoosa.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I’ve been playing golf since I was 10 “now 35” didn’t swing a club for 8 years tho and recently picked golf back up 3 years ago. I usually shoot between 80-85

2. What do you love about golf? I love golf because it’s like a great escape. The fresh air the challenges of every hole and every course. It is always a different experience

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Just reading some club reviews is what originally got me here

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I’m from Cincinnati Ohio, home course is the grizzly

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Worst things of golf if the winter off season, courses are heavily populated

im a painting contractor 

7. How’d you pick your user name? my user name was randomly generated for me on yahoo years ago and now I use it for everything 

•  

Hi Everyone, I'm fairly new to MyGolfSpy and looking forward to chatting with others that are passionate about the game. 

• I have been playing for 20 years. I picked up the game at 14 when my family moved to Saginaw, MI and the new friends I made all seemed to love golf (I had never played), and I figured if I was going to fit in with the group, I better start playing. 

• I love everything about it; however, the things I appreciate most of all are the endless challenge and pursuit of improvement, and the opportunity to spend a few hours with my closest friends joking, having fun, and sharing a beverage or two as we all play the game we love. 

• I came to MyGolfSpy for an opportunity to converse with others who share a passion for golf and golf equipment and to hopefully learn some new things while having fun.

• I am originally from Kalamazoo, MI and while I don't really have a home course, I would say that Purgatory Golf Club in Noblesville, IN has been the closest thing to it the past several years as I have been living in Indiana. 

• The best thing about golf in the midwest is its relative affordability compared to some other areas of the country, and speaking about Michigan in particular, the sheer number of courses that are available is outstanding. If you have not experienced golf in northern Michigan, you are missing out! The worst thing about golf in my region is that the season is just too damn short. 

• I am currently law student, and will be practicing in Chicago next year when I graduate. 

7. How’d you pick your user name

• I'm lame and just combined parts of my name. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 9* w/ Accra Tour Z RPG 462 M4+

3 Wood: :titelist-small:TSi2 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65

3 Hybrid: :ping-small: G425 19* w/ Alta CB 70

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB (4-6) / MMC (7-PW) w/ DG X100

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 54 S-grind / 58 M-grind w/ DG S300

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Rx V-line Fang 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer