TESTERS WANTED! ×

Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

On 6/18/2021 at 1:02 AM, Superjoemofo said:

Well new guy here from Wisconsin! Love the site looking forward to joining the conversation. I shoot right around 100 on good days and closer to 110 on bad. Just got a new to me Calaway BBA  which has taken a few strokes off the game. Currently focusing on putting. Actually just restored my odyssey dual force rossie II that I found at goodwill a few years back. WISH I would have taken before pics, but here's the progress so far... please feel free to leave me feedback or just say what's up... I have a feeling I'll be around...

20210617_235445.jpg

20210617_235450.jpg

20210617_235541.jpg

Welcome - stick around here and you'll get some great advice to breaking 100.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm From the Racine area, usually just play local courses, johnsons is pretty nice for an open course... otherwise I look for deals on groupgolfer.com and the like... this Site is excellent! Use it daily to grab the odd tip here and there, also an AMAZING resource for gear info!

From Wisconsin

Playing Calaway BB X-12s standard length and steel shaft standard

Calaway BBA 9.5°/ stiff flex

Average about 105 on 18 but getting better!

Not great but definitely getting better.... started the season in the mid 60s after not playing for 10 years.... driving has seen a big improvement but cant seem to make good contact ony irons... seem to have alot of skulls and tops, started out great with my irons and horrible with driver and woods, complete flip flop... gotta love this game! Going to play 18 so we'll see...

Screenshot_20210716-200610_Golf Pad.jpg

From Wisconsin

Hi, all! I've posted a couple of photos that display my favorite time of day to golf. Answers to questions are below:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?   I've been playing since age 29, hence the username. Grew up playing tennis and basketball - they didn't cost as much. 😄  Got dragged out to a course by some friends at 29, all the right-handers tried showing me how to swing, helped me to a first-round 144. Haven't listened to them since!

2. What do you love about golf?  It's a continuous challenge, and there's always room for improvement and growth.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I've found MyGolfSpy to have some of the most interesting and quality golf content available on the Internet. (My goodness, there's a lot of bad golf content out there.) Don't know any other Spies yet.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  From St. Paul, MN. No true "home course", though I do have a special place in my heart for the St. Paul Phalen municipal course. And my favorite course in Minnesota is Mississippi National, in Red Wing along the beautiful river bluffs. Ask me sometimes about holes #10 and #17 on the Highlands course there.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best: Most golf courses per capita of any state in the US! Worst: you have to drive at least 20-25 minutes outside the Twin Cities area to get to affordable, decent public courses.

6. What do you do for a living?  High school math teacher and school administrator.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  See #1!

IMG_20200815_063548.jpg

IMG_20200915_072756.jpg

Edited by AdultLearner
Hadn't finished answer to #1.

:titelist-small: 915 D3 driver, TS2 21° 3-Hy

:ping-small: :Arccos: G425 5-PW + LW

:adams-small: Idea a7 SW & GW

:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 putter

Hello to all MGS bloggers!!

Been playing regularly since 1998. Basically self taught, with a few lessons thrown in, when I can't hit the side of a barn. For the most part, 95-100 is my usual score. There was some time when I first started playing, 125 was my number. Playing about 5 years, I spent a lot of time at the range working on everything. But, began to notice if I kept it in the fairway off the tee, much better hole, much better scores at the end of the round, something like 87-95. Life kinda got in the way with small children and all, did not play as much as I had before. Now, kids are grown with kids of their own, so I play a little more now. Had to kind of start over, bought all new equipment, so the learning starts over. Been playing a little more than usual this year, and my game is coming around. Looking to break 90 by the end of the season. When I retire in 2 years, will be playing a lot more..UPDATE July 4th 2022 to the original post. Have not played as much as I would like over the past 2 years. Been updating equipment such as my driver: Ping g410 SFT, dumped the stock Alta 55g R shaft for a Graffaloy ProLaunch 65g R, which I spend more time in the fairway. Still playing a Callaway Diablo Octane 3 wood(15*), but looking for something newer, with tech. 2 Snake Eyes hybrids (18*, 21*), GigaGolf hybrid irons(24*-46*),(not a conventional iron in my bag), added new wedges, Cleveland CBX2's(50*,54*,58*), which I just love to use. My game has gotten better just with these alone. And my putter is a Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c, c for center shafted, which I really like.

Golf is a constant challenge, with different courses, comes different challenges. Nothing like a nice day on the course, with people who also enjoy the game.

Found MGS through a link, and was immediately impressed with their mission, and their dedication to that mission. Lots of great info to be found here...

I live in the Northwest burbs of Chicago, and my home course is Villa Olivia in Bartlett, IL. Holes 15, 16, 17 are my favorites, as they have just about everything a course can throw at you.

The season is too short, and we have quite a lot of courses in this area.

Professional truck driver over 30 years, have a local driving job, with no weekend work, unless I want to work.

Part of my domain name..basically my initials, with the year I was born.

Edited by drb1956
Update

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

On 6/18/2021 at 1:02 AM, Superjoemofo said:

Well new guy here from Wisconsin! Love the site looking forward to joining the conversation. I shoot right around 100 on good days and closer to 110 on bad. Just got a new to me Calaway BBA  which has taken a few strokes off the game. Currently focusing on putting. Actually just restored my odyssey dual force rossie II that I found at goodwill a few years back. WISH I would have taken before pics, but here's the progress so far... please feel free to leave me feedback or just say what's up... I have a feeling I'll be around...

20210617_235445.jpg

20210617_235450.jpg

20210617_235541.jpg

Love the polished look, however polish On the top may prove to be difficult due to the reflection from the sun. but it does look cool.

Put the icing on the cake and remove the paint and make it your own

dont forget the custom putter grip. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?
    I played golf from ages 7 through 13. Gave it up through high school and college. Picked it back up again around age 25. So 7 years consistently as an adult. I do not have a current handicap. Based on scores from this year alone I'm shooting on average 84.6 strokes per 18. 

2. What do you love about golf?
    I love the game, as it's nearly impossible to be perfect at golf. But in recent years I love the equipment. I have a fascination with the science and the energy and the technology that drives golf. From OEM's, clones and big branded clubs, I find them all extremely cool. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?
    I signed up as a way to read, learn, and potentially discuss the game and as noted above the equipment side of golf. I do not know any other Spies. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?
    Currently reside in Forsyth, IL. Originally from Quincy, IL. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?
    It's central Illinois so winter time isn't as fun and in the summer it's just a wet blanket outside. 

6. What do you do for a living?
    I'm an RN currently working in an endoscopy department in Springfield, IL

7. How’d you pick your user name?
    My college/high school friends and I, whom I play golf with the most, used to be in love with the Transformers movie franchise. Sector 7 was something that was taken from those films. The "six" was to designate the 6 members of our "group." So Sector_Six7 is what's on our polos and hats and club covers. Pretty pathetic name I suppose but we like it. 

39 minutes ago, Sector_Six7 said:

in Springfield, IL

Welcome!

I have a friend in Springfield so I've played there quite a few times. The Rail and Prairie Vista in Bloomington are my favorites of those I've played.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

4 hours ago, McGolf said:

Love the polished look, however polish On the top may prove to be difficult due to the reflection from the sun. but it does look cool.

Put the icing on the cake and remove the paint and make it your own

dont forget the custom putter grip. 

Not a bad idea with the paint! I was worried about the top as well but actually hasn't been an issue... confidence went way up, so stroke count has gone down! Win,win! 

I actually just realized that I need to regrip my irons and putter... both have original grips that are 20+ years old 😬.... 

From Wisconsin

Hey there! My name is Nathan Elekonich, I'm an former Titleist employee and life long golfer.
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing golf since the age of three but didn't get serious about it until high school as I was more into baseball up until that point. I don't have an official handicap but I'll say it's somewhere between a 5-7.

2. What do you love about golf? I love golf because it's both the most relaxing and most stressful sport. There's nothing better than being outside in nature enjoying well manicured courses, warm weather and good company. My Dad is the main reason I got into golf so any opportunity to hit the course with him is time well spent.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've known MyGolfSpy for awhile but have never really delved into everything they have to offer. I heard about them while working at Titleist and followed them on Instagram but being out of the golf industry again I want to get back into being an outsider looking in on the industry. I don't necessarily have brand loyalties, I like many brands all for different reasons. Also, I do not know any other Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm originally from Sylvania, OH and after two moves, one to Cleveland and the other to Massachusetts, I'm back in the Midwest once again and will be living in Saline, MI just south of Ann Arbor. I don't currently have a home course but am looking to join Polo Fields Golf and Country Club in Ann Arbor.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing about golf in our region is how green everything can be. Espcially in Michigan there is such a variety of courses that feature gorgeous landscaping, tree lined fairways and rolling terrain. Fall golf in this region is something everyone should experience at some point in there lives, it's breathtaking. For the midwest in general there is a vast variety of open courses, closed off courses, hilly courses, flat courses, links style courses, etc. You name it and you can probably find it here. The worst thing is the weather. You may only get 6 or 7 good months out of the year to play here so you definitely make the most of it.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a Motion Graphic Artist currently working remotley for a small creative company out of the Cleveland area. But before that I worked at Titleist in their marketing department where I made multimedia content for social media, web and television.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Unfortunately there's nothing special about my user name. My first name is Andrew but I go by my middle name Nathan and Nate for short. First (preferred name), last name initial.

Nathan Elekonich

Titleist TSi3, Titleist 910 13.5, Taylormade Rescue TP, Titleist MB's, Titleist Vokey Wedges, Scotty Cameron Circa '62

On 5/29/2021 at 4:40 PM, Tyler86 said:

Any body in the Minneapolis area, Victory Links is playing fantastic right now.

Despite living in the Twin Cities all of my life, I'd never heard of Victory Links until your post. Probably because I usually play courses in the east and south metro.

Looked it up and the rates look very reasonable. I'll have to make it out to Blaine and give it a try.

Thanks for your post!

:titelist-small: 915 D3 driver, TS2 21° 3-Hy

:ping-small: :Arccos: G425 5-PW + LW

:adams-small: Idea a7 SW & GW

:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 putter

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I'd played maybe 4 or 5 rounds in my life before this year.  Earlier this year our work had an informal outing and my son (19) expressed some interest.  We decided to join in and have been hooked ever since.  First round I shot 121 and he a 132.  Last week I shot 115 and he got an 88. 🥴  I've broken 100 twice but I generally hit a few second shots and mulligans...

2. What do you love about golf?  My son and I have played with a number of co-workers and friends.  I love observing others and picking up new tips and tricks.  I love spending quality time with my son, and I'm working on getting my wife and one of our daughters involved, too.  I'm not generally an outdoors-type person, but I love getting out on the course in the sunshine.  I love when it all comes together for one brief moment and you hit that memorable shot.  I could go on and on...

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Clicked on a link at some point while on an early quest for knowledge. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Live in Cortland, Illinois.  Have played most of my golf at River Heights and Buena Vista in DeKalb.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Being about an hour west of Chicago means that while the number of nearby courses thins out a bit, the price point is top notch.  While I haven't played long enough, I imagine the winter will make it difficult to scratch that itch!

6. What do you do for a living?  I work in a warehouse with what turns out to be an abundance of willing playing partners!

7. How’d you pick your user name?  Like many others here, my creativity knows no bounds and I use my name as my user name.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

19 hours ago, Hailstorm13 said:

I have a buddy who used to work out there, really nice course greens are challenging.

I see your in otsego. How often do you play? Im in Maple Grove.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Hey fellow golfers!! My name is Jeff and I’m a paramedic by trade! I’ve been playing golf since 2007. My older brother actually got me into it and it’s brought us a lot closer!! My home course is the Lapeer Country Club in Lapeer, MI. I love that feeling of that purely struck shot that also is elusive but I keep coming back for more!!!! I’ve always perused the forums in GolfSpy and finally decided to join. Love the great information!!!! When I’m not on the course, I’m a husband and father and saved through the blood of Christ!!! Give a shout out if your in the area!

Driver: :taylormade-small:  2016 M2, 10.5 

Fairway Woods: :taylormade-small: M3 3 wood HL and 5 wood

Irons: :titelist-small: AP1 712 4-PW

Wedges: :callaway-logo-1:MD4 Chrome 52 and 56

Putter: :taylormade-small: TP Patina Soto with SuperStroke Pistol 1.0 grip

Ball: :taylormade-small: Tour Reponse or :titelist-small: Pro V1. 

Hello all!

Just moved and am getting settled in Plainfield, IL.  Have been golfing since about age 10, and am always looking to get out when free time allows.  Finally getting into a groove with the driver and putter, and have been working on dialing in the irons, but that's proving a bit more difficult since old habits really die hard!  

WIMB - 
Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5*
Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 4H
Irons: Callaway X-22 (4-9, SW)
Callaway Mack Daddy 52*
Putter:  Odyssey O Works Versa 1W

On 7/31/2021 at 9:03 AM, Tyler86 said:

I see your in otsego. How often do you play? Im in Maple Grove.

This year I have been trying to play more.  I try to play once a week but in reality I probably play every 2 weeks.  What courses/area you typically play?  I'll play up here, Buffalo, Elk River Albertville Etc..

8 hours ago, Hailstorm13 said:

This year I have been trying to play more.  I try to play once a week but in reality I probably play every 2 weeks.  What courses/area you typically play?  I'll play up here, Buffalo, Elk River Albertville Etc..

I play all over metro. But Wild Marsh and Fox Hollow are the ones over here that i play most. I play at least once a week, try for 3 if i can. 

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Sold... Hey guys, I left a Mottocaddy S7 remote cart in Bolingbrook. I had 3 remote carts and brought 2 with me to Phoenix and my ex wife doesn't want deal with the Mottocaddy. It has about a full years use, maybe 100 - 150 rounds our so and is in great shape. Sells for $1699 new. If anyone is interested, please make an offer. I'd like to get $500 but will entertain any offers. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 3 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I wish i got into it sooner, but grew up with no family or friends into golf, so i never got into it. Ended up marrying my wife who played Golf in High School and a few years in college. I got a hand-me-down golf set from my grandpa which got into into it in 2017, so that is about when i started! haha. i only played about 6 rouands in total between then and 2021, but 2021 came and i have played 6 rounds already this year, been hitting the range frequently and practicing at home. Just had a baby though (3 months old now, yay!) so that has slowed my golfing, but i am itching to golf more and get better. my normal score is like 110/115+ 😞 i am not good. but on a par3/4 9 hole courses (where i don't need my driver) i hit pretty well actually and average about 45/50!

2. What do you love about golf?

playing against yourself, being outside, the challenge. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I have no friends here 😞, just joined because i love the reviews and analysis. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live in the Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA area. I have a membership just at a local course (Inverwood golf course in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota) i got on a deal (it was like $350 for 3 years, but just has some dumb rules around tee-times). It's a pretty good course and (in my opinion well maintained) a little challenging, but fun. Not sure if I'll never be able to afford a CC, but maybe a nicer club in the future :). 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best: Summer weather can be amazing in Minnesota, lots of courses in the Minneapolis Metro Area
    Cons: Even the average courses I'd say are pretty expensive ($40+) for 18 without a cart, very busy because everyone wants to get their golf in the summer. WINTER, no golf for ~6 months a year. 

6. What do you do for a living?

Software engineer

7. How’d you pick your user name?

it's part of my last name with a "y" at the end. Real creative, but it stuck from my Computer gaming days from Highschool. 

Welcome @helgy56. Im in Maple Grove. I really like inverwood. Its just too hard to get a tee time there. Too many “members” etc. My buddy has the same membership as you. 

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I started golf pretty young and have played golf 1977. My home course handicap is 9 and it doesn't travel well.  My index is routinely posted but I don't pay much attention to it.  

2. What do you love about golf?  I love the social aspect of golf at my club. I rarely enter organized events and play mostly with my friends.  I don't follow pro golf at all.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? It was recommended as the best golf forum on line.  I tried Hacker's Paradise but the mods were all lackeys for their advertisers more than anything else.  Not really bad, I suppose, but they annoyed me.  My interest is in the social aspect of golf, and peripherally, in equipment as I'm just a bit of a gearhead with much knowledge of vintage gear especially.

4.  Where are you from? What is your home course?  We'll talk specifics when we know each other a little better. I'm from the Metropolitan Boston Area and my club's course is a 1906 Donald Ross layout restored just over a decade ago.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The season is short, but I'm usually gassed by late October anyway.  We have one of the nation's best munis right in the city;  it's also a Ross layout.

6. What do you do for a living?  I recently retired.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My real name and my beloved birthplace.

ALSO, I SEEMED TO HAVE CLICKED THE WRONG REGION BY ACCIDENT.  I'M OFF TO A SKETCHY START, I GUESS!

Edited by BostonSal
add note about error

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? 47 years started when my Dad and Mom introduced me at 10yrs old.   I haven't been able to play only 3-4 rounds each year for the last 10 years.  Just getting back into the swing and in the quest to upgrade my clubs.   What’s your handicap or normal score?  86-92 
  2. What do you love about golf?  Outdoors and the feel of a well struck ball
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Started reading reviews/tests  Do you already know any other Spies? No
  4. Where are you from?  Western suburbs of Chicago What is your home course?  Village Greens of Woodridge
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best: many golf courses in the area, Worst: Long winters,
  6. What do you do for a living?  Software development
  7. How’d you pick your user name?  Combo of last name and initials also used on twitter

:Sub70:  849D 10.5* UST PROFORCE v2 Black, 939X Hybrid 3H Aerotech SteelFiber Hybrid HLS 780

:taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX USA EDITION for winning the 2021 Ryder Cup contest sponsored by Taylormade and MGS  

:Hogan:  GS53Max 10.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black 5.5 ,  GS53 Fairway 4W HZRDUS Smoke Black 5.5,   VKTR+Hybrid 18* 

:titelist-small:  975D 9.5* ,  975F  3-w , 5-w 

:Sub70:   699 Pro Utility Black 19.5*

:Sub70:   TAIII  RAW 4-AW , True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 (R) 

:benhogan-small:  ICON Black  4- PW , with SteelFiber i80 (R) shafts

:benhogan-small:  Wedges Equalizer II  50*, 54*, 56*,  58*, 60*  , UST Recoil 780-F4/Stiff (Graphite)

:Sub70:  005 Wide Blade putter - with :garsen: Max 17"

:Sub70:  002 Mid Mallet putter - with :garsen:  Max 17"

:Arccos: Smoke Sensors (GEN 3+) ,  Link (GEN 2) 

old clubs

:wilson_staff_small:   Wilson Dyna-Power II  3-PW,  R90 Sand iron

New to the game.
Played a round during a company outing. 
It was so much fun. I got the bug now.

What is the best way to start learning how to play properly?

1. How long have you been playing golf? only played 1 round 
  2. What do you love about golf? The one nice shot
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Looking for equipment reviews, and found the user testing
  4. Where are you from? North Chicago Suburbs
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is that there are a lot of options for courses; Worst is that you cannot play in the winter
  6. What do you do for a living? Engineering
  7. How’d you pick your user name? Last and First name
Edited by montesdanny

1 hour ago, montesdanny said:

New to the game.
Played a round during a company outing. 
It was so much fun. I got the bug now.

That is the exact reason that I started playing earlier this year.  Welcome to the forums.  Best way to learn to play properly is to get lessons.  It'll save you a bunch of headaches.

That being said, I haven't had a lesson yet.  My learning so far has been through YouTube videos and trial and error.  I've spent time at the range.  After the outing I knew at work golfed so I asked a few people if they wanted to golf with me.  There are two people I work with in particular that are pretty good, so I actually offered to pay for a round in exchange for tips and advice while we played.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

6 hours ago, montesdanny said:

... I would highly recommend starting with a lesson to understand the basics before bad habits get a foothold. Many that first start golf look at it logically and golf just isn't logical. It is common sense to think the face of the club should stay square to the ball and the target line instead of rotating open. This can put almost everything in a bad position in your backswing and again, allow bad habits. Hitting down to make the ball go up is just counter intuitive. 

... So even if you are not interested in series of lessons, getting started with at least one lesson is always a very good idea. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... I would highly recommend starting with a lesson to understand the basics before bad habits get a foothold. Many that first start golf look at it logically and golf just isn't logical. It is common sense to think the face of the club should stay square to the ball and the target line instead of rotating open. This can put almost everything in a bad position in your backswing and again, allow bad habits. Hitting down to make the ball go up is just counter intuitive. 

... So even if you are not interested in series of lessons, getting started with at least one lesson is always a very good idea. 

YUP - Position - Grip - Alignment can easily be taught in the first lesson

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score I've been playing golf since I was 4 years old, so 25 years now. I am a 2.1 handicap currently with a low of 1.5

2. What do you love about golf? Every round is a different challenge. You're always chasing your next big accomplishment. It's a great way to be outside and find peace from the business of life. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've lurked on MyGolfSpy for many years by reading articles, following on social, etc. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Have lived in Minnesota for two years now, previously Wisconsin. I play all over, with no real home course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is the amazing golf. Minnesota and Wisconsin have amazing golf courses, both nationally ranked or not. Great golf courses are always a quick car ride away and a weekend trip with a few hour drive allows you to play top courses in the world. 

6. What do you do for a living? Communications Manager

7. How’d you pick your user name? My golf photography instagram handle is LandOf10KGolf. Go give it a follow.

5 hours ago, Landof10KGolf said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score I've been playing golf since I was 4 years old, so 25 years now. I am a 2.1 handicap currently with a low of 1.5

2. What do you love about golf? Every round is a different challenge. You're always chasing your next big accomplishment. It's a great way to be outside and find peace from the business of life. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've lurked on MyGolfSpy for many years by reading articles, following on social, etc. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Have lived in Minnesota for two years now, previously Wisconsin. I play all over, with no real home course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is the amazing golf. Minnesota and Wisconsin have amazing golf courses, both nationally ranked or not. Great golf courses are always a quick car ride away and a weekend trip with a few hour drive allows you to play top courses in the world. 

6. What do you do for a living? Communications Manager

7. How’d you pick your user name? My golf photography instagram handle is LandOf10KGolf. Go give it a follow.

Where abouts in MN? Im in Maple Grove.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

On 9/24/2021 at 7:54 PM, Tyler86 said:

Where abouts in MN? Im in Maple Grove.

@Tyler86 You've got a lot of good courses west of the Metro. Chaska Town will be everyone's favorite, but its pricey. Same with Rush Creek. If you're looking for high quality courses, but not as expensive, Deer Run in Victoria, Pioneer Creek in Maple Plain, and Wild Marsh out in Buffalo are all great options. If you're willing to go south a bit, The Wilds is another fantastic option. 

Give me a follow on Instagram @Landof10KGolf and you'll see pictures from many of those courses to judge for yourself.