Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

GolfSpy MPR

Hi, everyone. I did one of these in the old format, but thought I'd join in here, too.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I first played golf when I was in elementary school. I grew up on a farm and had plenty of lawn to smack balls around using some old clubs my father had. Despite farming being nearly a full-time job in itself, he worked an office job during the day and occasionally played golf for business meetings. My first on course memories are playing a local short course with him a few times, maybe once a year, until I was 12 or 13.

I played baseball in high school, but the summer after getting my license I started to play more golf with my friends. I started with my uncle's set of Walter Hagen blades and Persimmon woods. I got my first "real" set of clubs, a RAM G-Force box set with a 460cc driver and cavity back irons, that Christmas. I played a lot through college, getting new Nike CCI cast irons my freshman year (which I just sold in January) and broke 90 once the fall of junior year when I was playing three times a week.

After college my wife and I moved around a lot, spending several years in Wyoming and New Mexico, before making our way back to Michigan in 2017.

Last spring, after having a disastrously embarrassing golf outing for work, I decided to completely start over with my swing and dedicate more time to golf. I've never taken a formal golf lesson, so piecing together a brand new swing from YouTube and the Internet took all summer, into fall and finally has taken hold this winter. I have played two nine-hole rounds with this new "work in progress" swing, shooting in the mid 40s in difficult conditions both times. My goal for this summer is to break 90 on 18 (par 72), or 42 on nine (par 36). There are a few "easy" nine holes around me, hence the lower nine hole score.

I completely revamped by bag this past fall and winter as well. I have a new driver, 3 wood, irons, putter and wedges since last summer, and I am playing a few different kinds of new balls (Srixon Q-Star Tour, Taylormade Project (a), Snell MTB and Vice Pro will be first up in testing). 

I also recently built a set of DIY SuperSpeed sticks and started training this week. After two trainings the green (lightest) club is up to about 120 mph average, which should translate to about 100 mph driver speed. My goal is to get the green club up to 130 mph average. I do large compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, bench) three times a week and do weighted isometric golf holds in addition to the SuperSpeed training.

I also just purchased a DST Compressor 8 iron and am excited to get to work with it.

I would also eventually like to venture into modifying/making my own clubs, and DIY work like re-gripping clubs for friends and family.

What do you love about golf?

I've always been a competitive person. After playing baseball in high school, golf has filled a competitive niche for me. It's always fun to try to better your game and score. In that way, golf is also extremely humbling. Struggling like I did last summer really put a lot of life into better perspective. Golf is just a game after all, and it should be fun.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I've been a long-time reader of MyGolfSpy and love the objectiveness of the testing conducted. And, unlike some other Internet golf forums, the people here are incredibly helpful and insightful. I do not know other Spies. However, I do know there are several from Michigan and some that are pretty near me. It'd be fun to get together sometime for a round.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am from West Michigan. I do not have a home course, though some of my favorites in this region include Diamond Springs Golf Course in Hamilton and Meadows Golf Course at Grand Valley State University in Allendale. We have several other great courses in the area. My goal for this season to is play Cedar Chase in Cedar Springs and The Mines in Grand Rapids.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best thing about golf in West Michigan is the absolute plethora of courses to choose from. Growing up, there were probably 8 golf courses within a 20 minute drive of my home. Currently, I can think of more than 10 that are within 20-30 minutes of my residence.

The worst thing about golf in Michigan is the weather. If you are well equipped and willing to play in less than stellar conditions, you might be able to play from mid-March to beginning of November. I played nine holes in January this year, and could have played more days if I had better cold weather gear. Although since late January we've had more snow than most years, and I doubt I'll be able to get out again until late March.

Offseason options are also extremely limited in West Michigan, with there only being two driving ranges that I know of with heated stalls. Simulators here are ridiculously expensive. The east side of the state is much better in that regard, or so I've been told.

What do you do for a living?

I work in IT. My background before IT was in sports journalism (you'll notice I hate Oxford commas). I apologize for the long-winded post, but I still love to write. I've had some amazing opportunities because of that, including working at the National Baseball Hall of Fame for a summer. Some of my writing has been published in the Denver Post and also in a book by the Hall of Fame. 

How’d you pick your user name?

I'm Cody, that's where the C is from. Add my last name and you've got my username.

• Like 2

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.1 / Anti-Cap: 14.3 (Last Updated Oct. 9, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 2/13/2019 at 8:17 PM, KAB2313 said:

I am from Akron, Ohio - hometown of the one and only Lebron James - Home course- Sable Creek and also just bought a membership to Windmill Lakes where Kent State University play.

Welcome! @MattF and I have played together a few times and will undoubtedly get together at least a few times this year. It'd be great if you could join us. I've only played Windmill Lakes once, but really enjoyed it. I've heard good things about Sable Creek but have never played there.

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

Hello everyone! My name is Mike. I am 40 and live in the awesome state of OHIO! I currently live in Columbus and I carry a 4 handicap. I try and play a few times a month now that I am back in school and have two jobs. I am coming back from a 10 year break away from the game. I used to be a titleist junky but I have been converted to a cobra guy. I love the stuff they are coming out with. I currently play the pro cb's from 2008 and they are amazing. For someone that plays a real player's iron the technology hasn't changed too much in the last couple decades it seems. 

• Like 3

Driver- Cobra LTD (Matrix Ozik Black-tie 65M4 stiff tipped 1/2")

3wood - Cobra Fly-Z+ (Fujikura Vista Pro 70 series- stiff tipped 1/2")

Hybrid - Cobra Bio Cell (Stock ProjectX- stiff)

Irons - Cobra Pro CB's (Project X 5.5 Hardstepped)

Wedges - Vokey (50/54/58)

Putter - Oddysey O-Works 1w Red

Ball - Nike RZN Tour Platinum(Til my stash is gone)

Handicap - 4.2

56 minutes ago, Xdmike20 said:

Hello everyone! My name is Mike. I am 40 and live in the awesome state of OHIO! I currently live in Columbus and I carry a 4 handicap. I try and play a few times a month now that I am back in school and have two jobs. I am coming back from a 10 year break away from the game. I used to be a titleist junky but I have been converted to a cobra guy. I love the stuff they are coming out with. I currently play the pro cb's from 2008 and they are amazing. For someone that plays a real player's iron the technology hasn't changed too much in the last couple decades it seems. 

Welcome from Akron! 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

On 2/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, MaxEntropy said:

Welcome! @MattF and I have played together a few times and will undoubtedly get together at least a few times this year. It'd be great if you could join us. I've only played Windmill Lakes once, but really enjoyed it. I've heard good things about Sable Creek but have never played there.

@MaxEntropy @MattF Yes! I'm definitely in once this weather clears up! Hoping for a couple 50 degree days soon - get some outside range work in ! 

I play Sable quite a bit, really awesome course.. Not as tree lined as Windmill. 

• Like 2

KB

Cobra F9 - Fujikura Ventus  7x  cut to 43.75

Cobra F9 - Fujijura Ventus 8x

Taylormade 2UDI - Graphite Design Tour DI

Taylormade P760 4 iron X100

Taylormade P7-TW 5-PW- DGX100 

Taylormade 52,58,64 wedges 

Ohio

6 handicap 

2 hours ago, Xdmike20 said:

Hey Mike! Welcome... 

Have you played the Virtues Club? Formally known as Longaberger?! One of my favorite courses - a few friends and I take a weekend trip down and play a couple rounds there.

KB

Cobra F9 - Fujikura Ventus  7x  cut to 43.75

Cobra F9 - Fujijura Ventus 8x

Taylormade 2UDI - Graphite Design Tour DI

Taylormade P760 4 iron X100

Taylormade P7-TW 5-PW- DGX100 

Taylormade 52,58,64 wedges 

Ohio

6 handicap 

Welcome to MGS from Metro-Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        :taylormade-small: TP5x

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Hi everyone! Love this website and am making the jump to introduce myself.. my name is Zac. I have been playing since Granpa cut some clubs down for me when i was 6-7 sooo that would make it about 40 years! Yikes! My handicap is 3.4 as of the the end of the season in MN, but I can tell you after 3 rounds in Phoenix a couple weeks ago you can double that right now..Always happy to break 80 which I do pretty consistently.I love  the personal struggle that golf is and how to handle it."golf IS life" Also the social aspects of meeting new people and most of my life long best friends are regulars in our foursomes..As a professed gearhead i love MGS as a place to read reviews from your average golfer..and I do know a couple fellow spies. From Minnesota born and mostly raised. My home course is Blackberry Ridge Golf Club in Sartell,MN where I am the assistant superintendent so that takes care of the "what i do for a living" part.. truly the greatest job in the world minus digging up irrigation leaks...The best part about MN golf is we can grow the most amazing bentgrass anywhere in the country..the worst part is it only grows for about 6 month of the year if we are lucky..haha User name? one step backward one step forward..

• Like 5

On 2/23/2019 at 10:23 AM, cazac said:

Hi everyone! Love this website and am making the jump to introduce myself.. my name is Zac. I have been playing since Granpa cut some clubs down for me when i was 6-7 sooo that would make it about 40 years! Yikes! My handicap is 3.4 as of the the end of the season in MN, but I can tell you after 3 rounds in Phoenix a couple weeks ago you can double that right now..Always happy to break 80 which I do pretty consistently.I love  the personal struggle that golf is and how to handle it."golf IS life" Also the social aspects of meeting new people and most of my life long best friends are regulars in our foursomes..As a professed gearhead i love MGS as a place to read reviews from your average golfer..and I do know a couple fellow spies. From Minnesota born and mostly raised. My home course is Blackberry Ridge Golf Club in Sartell,MN where I am the assistant superintendent so that takes care of the "what i do for a living" part.. truly the greatest job in the world minus digging up irrigation leaks...The best part about MN golf is we can grow the most amazing bentgrass anywhere in the country..the worst part is it only grows for about 6 month of the year if we are lucky..haha User name? one step backward one step forward..

Welcome from West Michigan. Had the chance to play a couple courses near Minneapolis last fall and was impressed.

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F5
5-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (5-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:
  • How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• What do you love about golf?

• What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Where are you from? What is your home course?

• What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• What do you do for a living?

• How’d you pick your user name?

1.  I have been golfing for 32 years now.  I currently play to a +3.3 hdcp.

2.  I love golf for 2 reasons.  First it was about family growing up.  I always will enjoy golfing with my dad and now getting my kids into the game.  2nd I enjoy the competition.  Nothing like nerves to let you know your game still needs work.

3.  I have been on MGS for over 5 years now.  I like this community because it is a community.  Be active and enjoy.  Everyone is very nice here.  I know a few other spies but not many.

4. I currently live just outside of Champaign, IL (U of Illinois "GOLF SCHOOL").  My home course is Urbana Country Club.

5.  The best thing about golf in Illinois is the warm summers and playing till just about 8pm.  The worst is our season is very short. It would be great to play year round.

6.  I am a sales manager for a Maintenance of Way Railroad company.  We manufacture the machines that replace the spikes and ties.

7.  In a former life I would build clubs and sell them.  The name stuck.

• Like 3

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Callaway Steelhead Plus 4 wood

Hybrid: 18* 2 & 22* 4 Sub 70 949

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 5 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I've been Play this game...I guess going into my 50th season...Started @ 4 Y/O

That it's filled with some of the greatest story tellers and mostly honest and salt of the earth people I know...And they let me win occasionally 😉

Looking for different - better ways to read about, review & get information that's not bought by manufacturers!! I'm sure I know a few here, but havn't reached out to them yet.

Minnesota & occasionally AZ Legacy Golf Faribault MN & Ocotillo Chandler AZ

Best, summer nights putting at dusk with friend & Worst...Winter

Own a direct mail company with my brother.

I use to be a teaching pro and that was my business name. Been using it for over 20 years for club repair as well.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Brewmaster said:

No Missouri? I thought it said Midwest? Those states are more Mideast/midnorthern.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Missouri.jpg.bfa2e611e08eebf06c35e1ce8b43b980.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :cobra-small: RADSPEED, Fujikura Motore 70 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour STiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: KING Black 50°, 54°, 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black 7

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been hitting golf balls since I was in 1st grade but I did not get serious about golf until the end of high school.  My handicap is between a 4 - 7 depending on the course and time of year.

2. What do you love about golf?  I love being outside, hanging out with my friends, and the feeling of hitting good shots.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I found MyGolfSpy through instagram and who doesn't want to be part of a golf nut forum.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I am from Warren, MI and my home course is Burning Tree CC

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best thing is we have alot of beautiful golf courses in Michigan, but the bad thing is we can only play for 5 - 6 months before the winter hits.

6. What do you do for a living?  I work in Quality Control.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  I use to caddy at a country club and my name tag said Caddie13 so it just stuck.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Caddie13 said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I've been hitting golf balls since I was in 1st grade but I did not get serious about golf until the end of high school.  My handicap is between a 4 - 7 depending on the course and time of year.

2. What do you love about golf?  I love being outside, hanging out with my friends, and the feeling of hitting good shots.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I found MyGolfSpy through instagram and who doesn't want to be part of a golf nut forum.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I am from Warren, MI and my home course is Burning Tree CC

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best thing is we have alot of beautiful golf courses in Michigan, but the bad thing is we can only play for 5 - 6 months before the winter hits.

6. What do you do for a living?  I work in Quality Control.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  I use to caddy at a country club and my name tag said Caddie13 so it just stuck.

Welcome from a fellow Michigander!

Someday we'll get rid of this snow...

• Like 1

17° Hybrid:
18.5° Driving Iron: 
21° Hybrid:
4 Utility: 
5-AW:  
54°, 58°:
Putter:
Grips: 

I've been playing golf since I was....12, I believe. 1982. I wanted to take lessons through the local summer rec program in my town and my parents found some used clubs at a garage sale and that's what I started with.

The ability to go out and enjoy the outdoors. Green grass, (mostly) open fairways. Escaping to a different place where you have to use your mind and body together to play well.

I don't know any other Spies. I follow MyGolfSpy on IG and watch some of their videos.

I'm in Stillwater, Minnesota. As far east in Minnesota without going into Wisconsin. I'd say currently my home course is Loggers Trail.

Best: doesn't get very hot for a long time in the summer. Worst: the never-ending winters, like this one (2018-2019).

I do production art during the day, and am a part-time professional golf course photographer.

First name, last initial and the state I live in.

• Like 5

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I’ve played golf for 25 yrs. my handicap is around a 10, up from 5 last year because of swing issues. I took lessons for the first time this winter and think I’m on my way back

2. What do you love about golf? I love creating golf shots. I’ll take a 130yd punch hook 6 iron over a 300yd drive any day

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I love reading the content. It’s a great resource

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Flint Mi, I’m a nomad

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The season is too short! Our resort courses offer the best value in the country IMO

6. What do you do for a living? Finance

7. How’d you pick your user name? Nothing creative unfortunately 

• Like 3

Hi everyone!

- I've been golfing since I was 12 or so, so that makes 20+ years. I currently have a 3.9 hcp and working on going lower.

- It used to be something I did with my dad. I have other family that golfs and that is fun. I never really had that golf buddy, someone that held the same skill and passion for the game. So for now I play early mornings for the solace and competition against myself.

- For MSG, I just caught the ad on Facebook one day and signed up. I don't know any other spies :(

- I live in Cleveland, Ohio's west suburbs. My home course is Cossett Creek, but i'll play anywhere within an hour or so.

- We are actually spoiled with over 100 public courses within an hour of me. The worst thing is the rain more than snow. Last year's golf season was cut short by 2 months.

- I work for a law firm, not a lawyer though. I do technical support and legal/conflicts research

- Super original user with name and a number.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Take Dead Aim

[mention=72853]MaxEntropy[/mention] [mention=12972]MattF[/mention] Yes! I'm definitely in once this weather clears up! Hoping for a couple 50 degree days soon - get some outside range work in ! 
I play Sable quite a bit, really awesome course.. Not as tree lined as Windmill. 
I love Windmill. Never played Sable, but I go to Seven Hills every other year or so.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim