Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

1. How long have you been playing golf?

At least 30 years. I don't remember exactly when I started as a kid. I was playing less in my 20s and 30s (2-3 times a year), but now that my kids are a bit less high maintenance I finally have more time to play.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score?

My worst round this year was 106, best was 93. I play a par 31 executive course quite a bit, I'm usually hitting about 40 there. I don't track handicap currently, but I'm considering doing so next year. 

3. What do you love about golf?

One of my favorite things about golf is that my primary competition is myself. I'm not very competitive, but I like the challenge of doing better than I did last time. I also love getting out and walking a course in the morning. Finally, I really enjoy meeting lots of new people when I book a solo tee time. 

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I started reading the ball comparison. One thing led to another and I found myself signed up for the forums. I don't know any other members that I'm aware of. 

5. Where are you from? What is your home course?

Grew up playing at Lakeview in Mitchell, SD. Currently live in Minnesota. I don't have any main course, but I play Glen Lake Executive in Minnetonka and Boulder Pointe in Elko pretty regularly. 

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

There are a lot of great courses in the area and getting tee times is never too difficult. The worst things is the short season

7. What do you do for a living?

Digital Product Designer.

8. How’d you pick your user name?

I have a long and difficult last name, so I've used first name followed by 'who' as a username all over that place for a very long time. 

Cobra LTDx Max Driver & 3w
Taylormade M2 3 hybrid & M6 4 hybrid
Taylormade Burner irons 5-PW 
Pinemeadow Wedges (52, 56, 60)
Cobra KING Stingray putter

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Always loved golf but didn't really play growing up -- maybe 10 rounds total before age 22 (I'm 42 now). Got interested after college and started learning while living in Manhattan (which is less than ideal). Began to love golf in my 20s, and then kids/work put a lid on things for a long while (maybe play 5-10 rounds per year, with zero improvement). Covid convinced me to put real effort into improving -- started 2020 ~14-16 H.I. and just got down to my lowest-ever of 8.9 after a lifetime-best round of 77 to win my neighborhood tournament.*

What do you love about golf? Everything. The competition. The practice and effort needed to get better. The difficulty. The outdoors time. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Have been reading some stuff sporadically for years.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Chicago area. Will play anywhere.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Amazing golf courses in the area. Truly awesome variety of choices. Everyone will complain about the weather, but it's mostly whining. I've played at least once in every month but January (and my general rule is turf must be in decent shape; temp must be >40 if dry, >45 if wet, and >50 if wet & windy). Weird how golf was invent in 55 degrees with wind and rain, and that's still cool if you're in Scotland/Ireland/Bandon; everywhere else people expect it to be sunny and hot or they're not playing. Plus, having ~6-12 weeks off really gives you time to dedicate to practice and improvement without worrying about taking it to the course (and that assumes no winter golf trips).

What do you do for a living? Investor

* 20 guys. Gross winner and net winner; I took both. The 77 was a prime example of good-boring golf: hit 11 greens and had one birdie, six bogeys, and 11 pars. No penalties. Didn't even nick the one lucky Pro V1 I used all day. I shot 80 on the same course last year so this wasn't a total fluke, but everything definitely went right and I would need dozens of rounds to duplicate or beat that score. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5 w/Nemesys 65g S

3-wood: Mizuno ST-200, 15 deg.

5-wood: Mizuno ST-X200, 18 deg.

Irons: Mizuno MP-15

Wedges: Vokey SM8, 50/54/58

Putter: Scotty Phantom X 7.5

Edited by pco225

Paradym driver, Mizuno fairway woods and irons (MP-15s), Vokey wedges (50/54/58) and Scotty putter (Phantom X 7.5).

How long have you been playing golf? 28 years

What’s your handicap or normal score?  Arccos says 11.5; reality my goal is better than bogey golf

What do you love about golf?  The shots that keep us coming back.  And playing golf with my sons.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy?  Love all things golf and find the science and data interesting.

Where are you from? North Central Ohio. What is your home course?  Deer Ridge

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  In our county, we have a bunch of reasonably priced courses though more close each year.  The hills and trees are pretty all season long.

What do you do for a living?  Scrum Master

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 30 years. Middle/upper 80’s typically. Currently 11.9 trying to get to single digits.

What do you love about golf? You can play it your whole life, and you can always get better!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I’ve followed MGS content for years.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Northeast Indiana

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  We have quite a few courses here, although we’ve lose several in the last decade. The worst thing is winter!

D, 3W, 3H Callaway Paradym 

4-PW Titleist AP3

50-56-60 Titleist Vokey SM7

How long have you been playing golf?
I have been playing golf since I was 5 so roughly 33 years. This is one of the things I’m most greatful that my Dad did sir me.

What’s your handicap or normal score?

Currently my handicap is an 8. It has been as low as a 3 back in high school. This summer I was able to rededicate myself to the sport and brought my handicap down from a 10.

What do you love about golf?

I love the walking, the nature, being able to create some amazing shots and enjoying the company of others. There’s always something to improve no matter what level you are.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? 
I’m very intrigued by the testing. I have done deep dives into shots gained stats through arccos and have recently been utilizing Mind Caddie to work on my mental game. I use golf spy for reviews and it has become my go to.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live in Glendale, Wisconsin and most frequently play Brown Deer.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best thing is that there are tons of options. The worst is when you can’t play outside.

What do you do for a living?

I am a teacher

Driver: Ping I25 9.5 degree stiff

Wood: Ping I25 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: Ping I15 3 Hybrid Stiff 4-W

Irons: Ping i230 blue dot True Temper steel stiff elevate shafts +.5

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 52 degree 12 bounce Cleveland CG15 56 degree 14 bounce Cleveland CG15 58 degree 12 bounce

Putter: Scotty Cameron Tryllium Newport

20 hours ago, TimT said:

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 30 years. Middle/upper 80’s typically. Currently 11.9 trying to get to single digits.

What do you love about golf? You can play it your whole life, and you can always get better!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I’ve followed MGS content for years.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Northeast Indiana

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  We have quite a few courses here, although we’ve lose several in the last decade. The worst thing is winter!

Welcome to the Forum!

NE Indiana, huh?  I've vacationed at Tippy Lake (Lake Tippecanoe) & can recommend Glendarin Hills & Cobblestone

As a fellow Hoosier, I concur about winters here 👎

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

1 hour ago, CudaKota66 said:

Welcome to the Forum!

NE Indiana, huh?  I've vacationed at Tippy Lake (Lake Tippecanoe) & can recommend Glendarin Hills & Cobblestone

As a fellow Hoosier, I concur about winters here 

Love Cobblestone!! One of my favorites in this area. It’s crazy but I’ve never been to Glendarin though. 

D, 3W, 3H Callaway Paradym 

4-PW Titleist AP3

50-56-60 Titleist Vokey SM7

Finally got around to joining.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing on and mostly off for 20 years.  Finally getting back into it and teaching this great game to my 5-year-old son, who asks every day to go hit golf balls.  My normal score is in the low 100's but getting better.

Golf is actually a relaxing game for me to play. I also like that I can turn out the busyness of life for a few hours.

I'm from Lino Lakes, Minnesota.  I don't have a favorite home course yet, but really enjoy the practice facilities at Victory Links.

The worst thing about golf in my region is the short, short, short season.

Still swinging my Callaway s2h2's.

• Started playing this year.  Have been wanting to learn and finally took the leap.  
  • I have only played a few rounds and shot 110-120

• I love the mental and physical challenge/puzzle to playing to all factors on the golf course (environment, consistent physical performance, pressure, etc)

• I found MyGolfSpy on X (aka Twitter)
  • I do not know any one else here

• I live in Deer Park, IL (a Northwest Suburb of Chicago)
  • My home course would be where I hit the range the most, Highland Woods in Hoffman Estates

• Best is the vast selection of courses and various difficulties and pricing
  • Worst is the simple intimidation of being a newcomer to the game (my own worst, not a worst of the area)

• Sr Leader in Supply Chain at Walgreens

How’d you pick your user name?

• It's the username I've used since a child.  My initials, then a number sequence from one of my first CDs)

Paul

How long have you been playing golf?

I started playing golf in college, so it has been about 16 years now. Played a few times as a kid before that, but didn’t love it.

What’s your handicap or normal score?

Newly established hdcp is a 15.0, but I’d expect that to settle around 13-14 with a couple more rounds in. I’m typically shooting mid-80s

The challenge the sport presents that isn’t entirely reliant on physical ability. People of all ages can play it and the mental part of the game is a huge component. It truly doesn’t matter how much of an athletic freak you are if you don’t know your way around a course.

Found MGS a few years ago when I was in the market for new clubs, but never ventured into the forums.

Born and raised in central Ohio. I don’t really have a home course, but if I were forced to pick one, I guess I’d pick Denison GC in Granville, OH

There are a ton of good public courses in central Ohio, and in the prime seasons, the course conditions are ideal. There really isn’t a lot to complain about in this region to be honest.

Engineer for the Department of Defense

Admittedly, I have put almost zero thought into this and actually had to scroll up to see what it was after reading this question.

WITB:

Driver: Titleist 913D2 (10.5°) with some ProjectX shaft they don’t even make anymore

3W: 2008 Taylormade Burner off the rack (needs to go immediately)

5i-GW: PXG 0311P Gen 5 bent 1° weak with TT V2 Elevate Tour S shafts

56°: 2008 Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60°: Ping Glide 2.0 SS

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1

As you can see, I am a couple clubs shy of 14, so my plan is to ditch my 3w and fill the bag with a new 5w, 7w, and a driving iron to use as a fairway finder off the tee. I really want something I can keep lower and just fire it down the fairway 240ish.

Driver: Titleist 913D2

3W: Taylormade Burner

5-GW: PXG 0311P Gen 5 (1* weak)

56: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60: Ping Glide 2.0 SS

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1

On 9/6/2023 at 3:48 PM, bliming1969 said:

How long have you been playing golf? 28 years

What’s your handicap or normal score?  Arccos says 11.5; reality my goal is better than bogey golf

What do you love about golf?  The shots that keep us coming back.  And playing golf with my sons.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy?  Love all things golf and find the science and data interesting.

Where are you from? North Central Ohio. What is your home course?  Deer Ridge

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  In our county, we have a bunch of reasonably priced courses though more close each year.  The hills and trees are pretty all season long.

What do you do for a living?  Scrum Master

Welcome sir! I am in the Dayton area. Glad to have another Ohio spy on the forum. You will love all the content here and its a great community to be a part of. Enjoy 😃

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges:  Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png56 Deg, 60 Deg

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Balls: Titleist ProV1

How long have you been playing golf?

Overall, off and on - about 10-12 years - hurt my back so I took several years off while I recovered.

What’s you handicap or normal score?

At one point I was about a 10 HC but that has slipped. I would say around 15 now (normal score is mid-high 80s (sometimes 90).

It’s such a ridiculous challenge. Think about it. You are hitting a tiny ball hundreds of yards to get it in a hole in 5 shots or less. And you do this on a beautiful manicured course over a period of 4+ hours. It’s like enjoying the outdoors, while trying something super hard and being incredibly satisfied when you do!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I have been following MyGolfSpy for a number of years for reviews and advice, I just recently (finally) have the time to get more involved and integrated with the community. Hoping to connect with other local spies and hit the course! I do know a spy from the Dayton area and we occasionally / regularly meet up and play (snoopy79). 

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am in the Sunbury, Ohio area. I am a member at Rattlesnake Ridge but I really enjoy playing all the great courses around here, not just RRGC.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best is the seasonal changes. You can play in varying conditions with cooler weather in the fall (my favorite) and steamy hot days in the summer. The worst is that you can’t play in winter months so you have to wait until those first warm days when the greens thaw out.

What do you do for a living?

That’s a loaded question. I am on about my third career. I spent 20 years as a police officer then started a software company until selling it 10 years later. Now I work for an IT integrator as a security solutions advisor. I stay pretty busy.

That is from years ago….. we have to get into the “way back” machine for this one. Microsoft had just launched an MP3 player called a Zune. Yes, I bought one and joined the fray with my handle “ZoonORama” as a play on Zune. I have used it ever since.

Current WITB:

Irons: Maltby TS1 (original flavor)

Wedges: Maltby TSW SW, TS1 PW, TS1 GW

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9 degree

Woods: Callaway Mavrik 3w (15 deg), 5w (18 deg)

Putter: Odessey White Hot XG #8 (center shaft)

Balls: Maxfli Tour (only available at Golf Galaxy/Dick’s) 

-ZoonORama (Keith)

• Irons:  :Takomo: 101T (4-PW)
  • Wedges:  :Takomo: Skyforger 52, 56, 60
  • Driver:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 9 degree (S/D)
  • Woods: :callaway-small: Mavrik 3 (15 degree), Mavrik 5 (18 degree)
  • Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Ai-ONE Milled 6 T DB
  • Balls:    :maxfli: Tour / Tour X
  • Rapsodo MLM
  • Garmin S42 Watch

@ZoonORamaWelcome to the forums my friend!! You are gonna love all the content. So much fun to read and comment on our golf addiction. 

Edited by snoopy79

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges:  Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png56 Deg, 60 Deg

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Balls: Titleist ProV1

I’ve been playing on and off since I was about 12 or 13 (I’m 34 now). I’m a 15 handicap, having just started tracking it this summer after joining a club this summer. I typically shoot in the low 90’s to high 80’s. 

What do you love about golf? I love that golf is an amazing way to participate in something active with friends while still providing plenty of time to talk and enjoy their company. But I also love how much I’m able to enjoy golfing by myself. It equal parts frustrating and enjoying when trying to improve. It’s a sport that you can really improve on when you put in the work and time to concentrate on different areas of your game. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I’ve began to get more serious about my golf this year. Getting fitted and ordering a new custom built set. This new journey has led me to constantly researching and reading about the game. MGS has always been something I’ve linked to when looking to research something, so I thought it was about time to sign up. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? I’m from Plymouth, MI. I’ve been living in Milwaukee, WI for a couple years now and my home course is River Club of Mequon. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I think what’s amazing about my area is the quality found in the local muni’s and the availability of more notable courses throughout Wisconsin. This state has no shortage of true links courses and woodland courses. But drive a few hours north and you can even get courses like Sand Valley which provide a more dessert course like experience. 

What do you do for a living? I’ve had a career long concentration in Technology working as a solution architect and solutions engineer in my previous roles. I currently work in food distribution as a Chief Operating Officer and love what I do. 

How’d you pick your user name? My username is pretty much my standard go to anytime I have a need to define a username. 

-AB

On 9/17/2023 at 8:13 AM, snoopy79 said:

@ZoonORamaWelcome to the forums my friend!! You are gonna love all the content. So much fun to read and comment on our golf addiction. 

Thanks! Yes, I can see this forum will likely lead to me being poorer shortly. So many things to try! Let’s get together and schedule some dates for play when I get back. And let’s break 80!

🏌️‍♂️😎

-ZoonORama (Keith)

• Irons:  :Takomo: 101T (4-PW)
  • Wedges:  :Takomo: Skyforger 52, 56, 60
  • Driver:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 9 degree (S/D)
  • Woods: :callaway-small: Mavrik 3 (15 degree), Mavrik 5 (18 degree)
  • Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Ai-ONE Milled 6 T DB
  • Balls:    :maxfli: Tour / Tour X
  • Rapsodo MLM
  • Garmin S42 Watch

I have on and off playing since I was in High School but have been more consistently paying and taking it seriously in the past 5-6 years. I am currently a 16 as I just started really maintaining a handicap about a year or two ago. Normal score is weird still since I am a high handicap I've had rounds in the low 80s and occasionally can blast out a 102 so its all over the place at times. 

I love the group aspect of being outdoors but also that it can feel like you are playing alone since its never really a team sport (scrambles aside). I love walking and consider myself part of the pushcart mafia. Plus the added portion that this is a lifelong game.

As like most I was researching club and golf ball information to see what best suits me. Most results returned were to MGS so obviously the next course of action was to attempt to be part of the testers. However the information alone has been the best benefit. I don't know another other spies.

Chicago , IL and I play a lot at Coyote Run Golf Course in Flossmoor, IL. 

Best part is the fall golf by far my favorite time of year but best time to get out and play golf walking. Worst part is like everyone else the season is always cut so short. Some years I can still play mid November, Others .....the frost arrives before Halloween. 

Director of Building Operations

Prior service Army and I tend to score more Bogeys than anything else . Doubles , triples, quads ..... they are all Bogeys! 

3 hours ago, BogeyBrigade said:

I love the group aspect of being outdoors but also that it can feel like you are playing alone since its never really a team sport (scrambles aside). I love walking and consider myself part of the pushcart mafia. Plus the added portion that this is a lifelong game.

That's great you walk. I kind of wish I could walk my rounds sometimes, but nobody in my 2 leagues walks. It could be super sweaty at the hot and humid times so I understand. I walked every time in high school, and now it's only the rare times when I golf alone. It feels like a better overall experience though.

I see a lot of posts on Reddit of people walking and I get the feeling they are all in the UK or Europe, so it's good to see your input.

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

I learned how to play when I was younger from my grandpa, but started playing more seriously about 6 years ago. Currently I am an 8 handicap, normal 18 hole score is between 79-83. I am 36 with two young girls, so fortunately I can play during my work week or I wouldn't be able to play much!

Really love competing and getting better at it week in and week out (at least trying to, results may vary...). Love the game and camaraderie with other players during a round, the landscape and being outside.

I have been following and reading reviews for a long time, but have never engaged on the forum before. I do not know any other Spies to date.

I live in Munroe Falls, Ohio (Akron OH), my home course is Congress Lake Club Par 71.

There are a ton of great courses in NE Ohio. Different layouts and challenges. Weather can also be great, but weather can also be the worst thing as well since we have at least 4-5 months of unplayable conditions outside.

Employee Benefits/Life Insurance

It's my name... lol

In the Bag
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 8 Degree S
3W: Ping G30 14.5 Degree S
4i-GW: Mizuno JPX 921 Forged +2 Lie S
54, 58: Ping Glide 3.0 Green Dot
Golf Pride Tour Velvet Grips
Putter: SeeMore FGP Center Shaft 

- Rod Strata

6 hours ago, RodneyStrata said:

I learned how to play when I was younger from my grandpa, but started playing more seriously about 6 years ago. Currently I am an 8 handicap, normal 18 hole score is between 79-83. I am 36 with two young girls, so fortunately I can play during my work week or I wouldn't be able to play much!

Really love competing and getting better at it week in and week out (at least trying to, results may vary...). Love the game and camaraderie with other players during a round, the landscape and being outside.

I have been following and reading reviews for a long time, but have never engaged on the forum before. I do not know any other Spies to date.

I live in Munroe Falls, Ohio (Akron OH), my home course is Congress Lake Club Par 71.

There are a ton of great courses in NE Ohio. Different layouts and challenges. Weather can also be great, but weather can also be the worst thing as well since we have at least 4-5 months of unplayable conditions outside.

Employee Benefits/Life Insurance

It's my name... lol

In the Bag
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 8 Degree S
3W: Ping G30 14.5 Degree S
4i-GW: Mizuno JPX 921 Forged +2 Lie S
54, 58: Ping Glide 3.0 Green Dot
Golf Pride Tour Velvet Grips
Putter: SeeMore FGP Center Shaft 

Hi neighbour, I'm in Tallmadge.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing golf seriously for the last 4.5 years. I was always the guy who would go out and play but then went on a buddies trip and realized EVERYONE was better than me. I decided if I wanted to keep that group of friends, I needed to get better. I am around an 20 handicap and a normal score would be 95.

Golf is great for me because I can enjoy it with my friends and family. I have two trips I go on usually, spring / summer, with the guys were I can get away from responsiblity for a few days and enjoy myself. When I'm at the home course we can all pile into the golf cart and enjoy the outdoors. It has become a thing for my family to enjoy being out on the course together. Also, as I'm getting older there isn't much in athletics that I can challenge myself with. Golf is a mental game that I can work at to get better at.

Just been reading articles and reviews and thought that it should be a community that I can be apart of. Any tips or advice to help me lower score and be a better golfer is worth a shot. 

I am from Ohio orginally currently living in Terre Haute, IN. My home course here is Idle Creek.

During the summer we get a lot of opporunity to play, a lot. However, we do have places that can flood, so to much rain in the spring and the winter really get in the way from Nov-March. 

College Athletics 

I  guess I'm boring. Didn't put much thought into it and just used my name. 

Inside every golfer, is a better one

Driver -Taylormade Stealth 2+  

Irons - Srixon ZX5 MKII

Wedges - Kirkland 56,58,60 

LAB Link.1 Putter 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! Below is my intro and at the bottom is my WITB. I'm a lefty and happy to be here. Looking forward to getting to know you all. -Brian

About 22 years. First time I ever held a golf club was in college. My (now) wife convinced me to try the game "just once" and she has regretted it ever since. Ha.

I love everything about golf. The compeitive nature of the game. The social aspect. And so much more. 

I have read articles from MyGolfSpy, entered contests and more. Did not know there was a forum until recently. Decided to take the plunge. I don't think I know any other Spies...

I live in Corunna, MI and most of my golf is played at Glenbrier Golf Course south of Perry, MI. Though I have played a whole bunch of courses all over the state of Michigan.

Michigan has great golf ranging from nationally known courses to local public courses, there are a lot of great options. The worst thing, as many have likely mentioned, the golf season is short. Any golf from October-March is bonus golf.

I am the Corporate Entrepreneur for my company.

My user name is my initials and the number 7. The number 7 was my jersey number for just about every sport I played growing up.

WITB

I'm a lefty so I make sure to point that out and always say hi to other lefty's on the course!

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | T2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: PXG 0317 22* | Standard hosel setting | Hand Crafted Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

2 hours ago, BLD7 said:

Hi all! Below is my intro and at the bottom is my WITB. I'm a lefty and happy to be here. Looking forward to getting to know you all. -Brian

About 22 years. First time I ever held a golf club was in college. My (now) wife convinced me to try the game "just once" and she has regretted it ever since. Ha.

I love everything about golf. The compeitive nature of the game. The social aspect. And so much more. 

I have read articles from MyGolfSpy, entered contests and more. Did not know there was a forum until recently. Decided to take the plunge. I don't think I know any other Spies...

I live in Corunna, MI and most of my golf is played at Glenbrier Golf Course south of Perry, MI. Though I have played a whole bunch of courses all over the state of Michigan.

Michigan has great golf ranging from nationally known courses to local public courses, there are a lot of great options. The worst thing, as many have likely mentioned, the golf season is short. Any golf from October-March is bonus golf.

I am the Corporate Entrepreneur for my company.

My user name is my initials and the number 7. The number 7 was my jersey number for just about every sport I played growing up.

WITB

I'm a lefty so I make sure to point that out and always say hi to other lefty's on the course!

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | T2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X

Hybrid: PXG 0317 22* | Standard hosel setting | Hand Crafted Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g

Welcome to the forum from another Michigander.

Although I am much further east, and a little south from your location

Be sure to check out all the other areas of the forum as there are a lot of really good members here.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

On 10/26/2023 at 11:06 AM, BLD7 said:

On 10/26/2023 at 11:06 AM, BLD7 said:

Hi all! Below is my intro

Welcome @BLD7 to the forum. Glad to see another Michigander in the forums. I hope you get as much info from this as most seem to get. And we'd love to hear your opinions and experiences as well. Yah, your right our courses are shutting down quickly for the season.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

• 2 weeks later...

Intro time for me...

1. How long have you been playing golf?

13/14 years spread over 35! Started in my teens around '89-'90. Stopped around 2002/3 and returned to the game last year.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score?

Current HCP is 7.8. All time low was around 5 in the late 90s. My target is to get my handicap below 5 by the time I turn 50 late next year.

3. What do you love about golf?

I enjoy either solo rounds or with others (either friends or meeting new people). Getting outside and focusing on something that isn't work or home! Love the continuous improvement process and discipline of practicing effectively. I'm an engineer, so the stats side and materials technology are things I enjoy almost as much as playing and training process.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Ball comparison got my attention, then saw the forum had real world testing panels for a variety of tech, training, etc. Very useful resource!

British ex-pat living in central Indiana. I grew up in central England (Worcestershire, home of the sauce nobody this side of the pond can pronounce.lol)

'Home' course is Zionsville. Cheap/ good value 9-hole I can get to quickly. I play at a variety of courses around Indy though-mostly on the N side.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Plenty of public courses with some real crackers. I have been fortunately to be invited to a few really nice private courses too. Cost can be a bit of a barrier and memberships here were eye-opening compared to back home. I thought it would be cheaper here, but memberships are often more than double the cost of my old clubs back home.

7. What do you do for a living?

Aerospace engineering.

8. How’d you pick your user name?

Where I now live plus old high school nickname.

WITB: In autosig & attached pic. Always tinkering with the bag contents and the iron setup will change next year.  The P790s are nice to hit and forgiving but occasionally 'going big' can ruin a score. ha ha. P7MC was a great swap for PW as a bridge between the P790 and MG3 wedges and is lovely to hit. I'll likely end up with a P790-P770-P7MC iron combo (I'll have lofts tweaked to get good gapping).

0794AC7C-61A7-47F3-8BD0-7EA55528EB34_4_5005_c.jpeg

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- Sik DW C 2.0 35" w. JumboMax JMX Pistol Pro grip

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below]

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

33 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

"I grew up in central England (Worcestershire, home of the sauce nobody this side of the pond can pronounce.lol)"

Guilty.

Welcome to the Forum. @IndyBonzo is a fellow north-sider who enjoys playing - I think his main track is River Glen 🤔

I live in Plainfield (west of the airport). Heartland Crossing, Southern Dunes, Westchase, & Twin Bridges are good courses nearby me. I joined The Legends (Franklin) - a bit of a drive but I couldn't pass-up $400 for 2 years!

Cheers!

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

45 minutes ago, CudaKota66 said:

Guilty.

Welcome to the Forum. @IndyBonzo is a fellow north-sider who enjoys playing - I think his main track is River Glen 🤔

I live in Plainfield (west of the airport). Heartland Crossing, Southern Dunes, Westchase, & Twin Bridges are good courses nearby me. I joined The Legends (Franklin) - a bit of a drive but I couldn't pass-up $400 for 2 years!

Cheers!

Thanks. Good to know. Playing partners from work live in Greenwood, downtown and Broad Ripple so I've played on the South side a few times. I've been to Southern Dunes, but not since spring. We had a work league at Buffer Park earlier this year, so that took up some of my golf time credits from home. $400 for 2 years?! Wow...

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- Sik DW C 2.0 35" w. JumboMax JMX Pistol Pro grip

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below]

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

10 hours ago, CudaKota66 said:

Guilty.

Cheers!

b14f9404907b1bfaea886e91cfc00bc8a42a5403

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've been reading the forum and articles on MyGolfSpy for a few years, but recently decided to finally post something. Here's the intro.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I played occasionally growing up and then played for two years in high school (note: I'm from a small town, so the bar for being on the team is only slightly above having a set of golf clubs). Then I took an almost twenty year hiatus before getting back into golf about four years ago. I started the summer at a 13 handicap and have worked it down to just under ten.

2. What do you love about golf?

The rare shot that does exactly what I wanted it to.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Hearing about others' experiences with golf gear, practice, and the reviews. I do not believe I know any other Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live in South Bend, Indiana and my home course is Morris Park. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best: walking 18 on a mild summer day

Worst: refusing to admit that the golf season is over. I've played a number of times when it's about 45 degrees. That's okay until the rain starts. 

6. What do you do for a living?

Data analysis

7. How’d you pick your user name?

The old standby, initials.

What's in the bag?

Driver:  Callaway Mavrik 10.5° -> 9.5°, Paderson KinetiXX  launch regular 
Fairway:  Callaway Mavrik 3 and 4 hybrid
Irons:  5-gw, 2019 Miura cb301, aerotech steelfiber i95 regular
Wedges:  Vokey SM8 54° and 58° , 12° bounce, D grind
Putter: Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Driver:  Callaway Mavrik 10.5->9.5, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R

Wood:  Callaway Mavrik 3, Paderson KinetiXX Launch R 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 4H, Graphite Design Tour AD R

Irons:    Miura CB301, 5-gw, Aerotech Steelfiber I95 R

Wedge: Vokey SM8 54 and 58, 12 bounce, D grind, Shimada tour black

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• 2 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?    I've 'only' been playing this game for about 65 years.....I'm 78 and I started playing when I was about 12.   I've been as low as a 7 or 8 hcp. but now I just say I'm a 10 and leave it at that.   This year I had several rounds in the 70's and shot my age about 10 times......SENIOR TEES, of course!

What do you love about golf?     Everything!   I love playing and practicing, love seeing the ball in the air, the feeling of a well-struck shot.   I enjoy reading about the game and its history.   It's "A game for a lifetime" for me....that's for sure!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?    I've been receiving MyGolfSpy's emails for several years now.....enjoy their tests on all sorts of equipment ( I'm an equipment junkie, I guess!), and finally decided to start posting.

Where are you from? What is your home course?    I've lived in NW Ohio (the greater Toledo area) all of my life.   I play all over.....Toledo is lucky to have several FINE public and semi-private golf courses that are reasonably priced.   I guess I would call Chippewa Golf Club in Curtice, Ohio my home course.  I worked there for 20 years in the summer and still play there once a week.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?    The variety of good, well-maintained, reasonably priced golf courses within one hour or less of home is great for golfers in our region.

What do you do for a living?  I'm a retired high school teacher.   Coached the golf team at my school for 20 years as well.

How’d you pick your user name?  That's my "miss."   I usually manage to hit 1 or 2 FAT ones per round......

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

On 11/6/2023 at 7:28 PM, Indy_Oz said:

British ex-pat living in central Indiana. I grew up in central England (Worcestershire, home of the sauce nobody this side of the pond can pronounce.lol)

This sauce is critical for a grilled chicken my family makes, so I hope we are pronouncing it... ah I have no idea if we pronounce it like it is in England. We say "wustersherrr" sauce, with emphasis on the first syllable.  ??  It flows at least. I'm not an east-coaster, but I know the town of Worcester, Massachussetts is pronounced "wuster" (2 syllables instead of 3 inexplicably) since our hockey team has an affiliate team there. 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone