Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

GolfSpy MPR

2 hours ago, k_man said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was curious whether people in or around (or from) Ohio could give me some advice.

I have two group trips to Ohio this year, one around Youngstown and one around Akron. Each of them involves playing three courses, two of which have been picked out, Yankee Run and Pine Lakes for the first one, and Boulder Creek and Ellsworth Meadows for the second one.

I'm not the one organizing, but I've been asked to weigh in, does anyone with local knowledge have any suggestions for a third course in either area? First trip is a group of maybe 20, second one may be closer to 50, in case anyone has already played outings at any of the courses in question, or just thinks a particular course would stand out for its fitness for such things.

Much obliged, have a good long weekend

k

Windmill Lakes in Ravenna is nice. Turkeyfoot Golf Links in South Akron has some of the best greens in the area. Brookledge in Cuyahoga Falls is also a decent place to play. Feel free to send me a DM if you want more details.

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) Mitsubishi MMT 70X
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

50 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Windmill Lakes in Ravenna is nice. Turkeyfoot Golf Links in South Akron has some of the best greens in the area. Brookledge in Cuyahoga Falls is also a decent place to play. Feel free to send me a DM if you want more details.

Appreciate it, thanks.

And I might!

• Like 2
  • :nike-small:Vapor Fly Pro 1W
  • :callaway-small:Mavrik Sub Zero 3W/5W
  • :callaway-small:Rogue Pro 3-PW
  • :ping-small:Anser Forged 52/58
  • Carbite Brass Balls Putter c.2001
  • :titelist-small:ProV1x
  • :callaway-small:HyperLite 5 Stand Bag

16 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I would agree with this. I'm a bit biased about Windmill because I'm a member.

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Any body in the Minneapolis area, Victory Links is playing fantastic right now.

• Like 2

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

• 2 weeks later...

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 
    I was introduced to this great game by my dad when I was 11, so I have now been playing for 50 years.  My handicap got down for one summer to a 3 because I was making every putt I looked at!    It 5 to 7 is where I’ve always hovered.

2. What do you love about this game?  I enjoy being outdoors, the challenge of how the games changes with conditions.    I’ve met many great and interesting people.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?    I’ve followed the site off and on for a few years and like the reviews and discussions.

4. Do you already know any other Spies?    No I do not.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Bloomington Illinois and I am a member of Crestwicke Country Club.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?   There are a lot of nice public and private courses in the area.     The worse thing is the weather,  windy all the time and then a short season due to winter.

7. What do you do for a living?   Nothing.

8. How’d you pick your user name?    Dodgerfan.    I’m originally from a town 70 miles east of Los Angeles California.    I grew up following the Dodgers and listening to Vin Scully.  I am a big Dodger fan.

• Like 4

On 6/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, Dodgerfan said:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 
    I was introduced to this great game by my dad when I was 11, so I have now been playing for 50 years.  My handicap got down for one summer to a 3 because I was making every putt I looked at!    It 5 to 7 is where I’ve always hovered.

2. What do you love about this game?  I enjoy being outdoors, the challenge of how the games changes with conditions.    I’ve met many great and interesting people.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?    I’ve followed the site off and on for a few years and like the reviews and discussions.

4. Do you already know any other Spies?    No I do not.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Bloomington Illinois and I am a member of Crestwicke Country Club.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?   There are a lot of nice public and private courses in the area.     The worse thing is the weather,  windy all the time and then a short season due to winter.

7. What do you do for a living?   Nothing.

8. How’d you pick your user name?    Dodgerfan.    I’m originally from a town 70 miles east of Los Angeles California.    I grew up following the Dodgers and listening to Vin Scully.  I am a big Dodger fan.

Welcome! I have a friend in Springfield so I've played Prairie Vista a few times.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Welcome! I have a friend in Springfield so I've played Prairie Vista a few times.

It’s been awhile since I’ve played PV,  it’s a nice course with one screwy hole.   I believe it’s number 7, a par 5 with a lake where you’d like to land your second shot.  You can’t carry the lake for your second shot so the lay up is like an 7 or 8 iron then your third shot to the green is 200+.     

40 minutes ago, Dodgerfan said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve played PV,  it’s a nice course with one screwy hole.   I believe it’s number 7, a par 5 with a lake where you’d like to land your second shot.  You can’t carry the lake for your second shot so the lay up is like an 7 or 8 iron then your third shot to the green is 200+.     

I know exactly the hole. It is kind of lame to have to lay up like that. I'd imagine the intent was to make it a decision whether to go for it or layup, but I've never seen anyone in a position to go for it - it's just a little too far. I like the course because it's pretty wide open for someone like me that tends to spray the ball off the tee - I usually score decently there.

Well new guy here from Wisconsin! Love the site looking forward to joining the conversation. I shoot right around 100 on good days and closer to 110 on bad. Just got a new to me Calaway BBA  which has taken a few strokes off the game. Currently focusing on putting. Actually just restored my odyssey dual force rossie II that I found at goodwill a few years back. WISH I would have taken before pics, but here's the progress so far... please feel free to leave me feedback or just say what's up... I have a feeling I'll be around...

20210617_235445.jpg

20210617_235450.jpg

20210617_235541.jpg

• Like 3

From Wisconsin

Playing Calaway BB X-12s standard length and steel shaft standard

Calaway BBA 9.5°/ stiff flex

Average about 105 on 18 but getting better!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 11:08 AM, Dodgerfan said:

1. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Bloomington Illinois and I am a member of Crestwicke Country Club.

I grew up in B/N.  I was fortunate enough to know some members of Crestwicke and Bloomington CC and was able to play a few rounds on each.  Crestwicke is my favorite track in the area.

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 S

FW: :taylormade-small: M4 15* Diamana S+ 82 S

Hybrid: Auditioning

Irons: PXG Gen3 P 5I-GW Steelfiber 115FC S

On 6/18/2021 at 1:02 AM, Superjoemofo said:

Well new guy here from Wisconsin! Love the site looking forward to joining the conversation. I shoot right around 100 on good days and closer to 110 on bad. Just got a new to me Calaway BBA  which has taken a few strokes off the game. Currently focusing on putting. Actually just restored my odyssey dual force rossie II that I found at goodwill a few years back. WISH I would have taken before pics, but here's the progress so far... please feel free to leave me feedback or just say what's up... I have a feeling I'll be around...

20210617_235445.jpg

20210617_235450.jpg

20210617_235541.jpg

Welcome - stick around here and you'll get some great advice to breaking 100.

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm From the Racine area, usually just play local courses, johnsons is pretty nice for an open course... otherwise I look for deals on groupgolfer.com and the like... this Site is excellent! Use it daily to grab the odd tip here and there, also an AMAZING resource for gear info!

• Like 2

From Wisconsin

Not great but definitely getting better.... started the season in the mid 60s after not playing for 10 years.... driving has seen a big improvement but cant seem to make good contact ony irons... seem to have alot of skulls and tops, started out great with my irons and horrible with driver and woods, complete flip flop... gotta love this game! Going to play 18 so we'll see...

Screenshot_20210716-200610_Golf Pad.jpg

• Like 3

From Wisconsin

Hi, all! I've posted a couple of photos that display my favorite time of day to golf. Answers to questions are below:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?   I've been playing since age 29, hence the username. Grew up playing tennis and basketball - they didn't cost as much. 😄  Got dragged out to a course by some friends at 29, all the right-handers tried showing me how to swing, helped me to a first-round 144. Haven't listened to them since!

2. What do you love about golf?  It's a continuous challenge, and there's always room for improvement and growth.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I've found MyGolfSpy to have some of the most interesting and quality golf content available on the Internet. (My goodness, there's a lot of bad golf content out there.) Don't know any other Spies yet.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  From St. Paul, MN. No true "home course", though I do have a special place in my heart for the St. Paul Phalen municipal course. And my favorite course in Minnesota is Mississippi National, in Red Wing along the beautiful river bluffs. Ask me sometimes about holes #10 and #17 on the Highlands course there.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best: Most golf courses per capita of any state in the US! Worst: you have to drive at least 20-25 minutes outside the Twin Cities area to get to affordable, decent public courses.

6. What do you do for a living?  High school math teacher and school administrator.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  See #1!

IMG_20200815_063548.jpg

IMG_20200915_072756.jpg

Edited by AdultLearner
Hadn't finished answer to #1.
  • Like 4

:titelist-small: 915 D3 driver, TS2 21° 3-Hy

:ping-small: :Arccos: G425 5-PW + LW

:adams-small: Idea a7 SW & GW

:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 putter

Hello to all MGS bloggers!!

Been playing regularly since 1998. Basically self taught, with a few lessons thrown in, when I can't hit the side of a barn. For the most part, 95-100 is my usual score. There was some time when I first started playing, 125 was my number. Playing about 5 years, I spent a lot of time at the range working on everything. But, began to notice if I kept it in the fairway off the tee, much better hole, much better scores at the end of the round, something like 87-95. Life kinda got in the way with small children and all, did not play as much as I had before. Now, kids are grown with kids of their own, so I play a little more now. Had to kind of start over, bought all new equipment, so the learning starts over. Been playing a little more than usual this year, and my game is coming around. Looking to break 90 by the end of the season. When I retire in 2 years, will be playing a lot more..

Golf is a constant challenge, with different courses, comes different challenges. Nothing like a nice day on the course, with people who also enjoy the game.

Found MGS through a link, and was immediately impressed with their mission, and their dedication to that mission. Lots of great info to be found here...

I live in the Northwest burbs of Chicago, and my home course is Villa Olivia in Bartlett, IL. Holes 15, 16, 17 are my favorites, as they have just about everything a course can throw at you.

The season is too short, and we have quite a lot of courses in this area.

Professional truck driver over 30 years, have a local driving job, with no weekend work, unless I want to work.

Part of my domain name..basically my initials, with the year I was born.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 1:02 AM, Superjoemofo said:

20210617_235445.jpg

20210617_235450.jpg

20210617_235541.jpg

Love the polished look, however polish On the top may prove to be difficult due to the reflection from the sun. but it does look cool.

Put the icing on the cake and remove the paint and make it your own

dont forget the custom putter grip. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg ACCRA tour Z GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - 33" 3 deg loft 70 lie, lrg slight line slightly toe hang

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?
    I played golf from ages 7 through 13. Gave it up through high school and college. Picked it back up again around age 25. So 7 years consistently as an adult. I do not have a current handicap. Based on scores from this year alone I'm shooting on average 84.6 strokes per 18. 

2. What do you love about golf?
    I love the game, as it's nearly impossible to be perfect at golf. But in recent years I love the equipment. I have a fascination with the science and the energy and the technology that drives golf. From OEM's, clones and big branded clubs, I find them all extremely cool. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?
    I signed up as a way to read, learn, and potentially discuss the game and as noted above the equipment side of golf. I do not know any other Spies. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?
    Currently reside in Forsyth, IL. Originally from Quincy, IL. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?
    It's central Illinois so winter time isn't as fun and in the summer it's just a wet blanket outside. 

6. What do you do for a living?
    I'm an RN currently working in an endoscopy department in Springfield, IL

7. How’d you pick your user name?
    My college/high school friends and I, whom I play golf with the most, used to be in love with the Transformers movie franchise. Sector 7 was something that was taken from those films. The "six" was to designate the 6 members of our "group." So Sector_Six7 is what's on our polos and hats and club covers. Pretty pathetic name I suppose but we like it. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sector_Six7 said:

in Springfield, IL

Welcome!

I have a friend in Springfield so I've played there quite a few times. The Rail and Prairie Vista in Bloomington are my favorites of those I've played.

4 hours ago, McGolf said:

Love the polished look, however polish On the top may prove to be difficult due to the reflection from the sun. but it does look cool.

Put the icing on the cake and remove the paint and make it your own

dont forget the custom putter grip. 

Not a bad idea with the paint! I was worried about the top as well but actually hasn't been an issue... confidence went way up, so stroke count has gone down! Win,win! 

I actually just realized that I need to regrip my irons and putter... both have original grips that are 20+ years old 😬.... 

From Wisconsin

Hey there! My name is Nathan Elekonich, I'm an former Titleist employee and life long golfer.
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing golf since the age of three but didn't get serious about it until high school as I was more into baseball up until that point. I don't have an official handicap but I'll say it's somewhere between a 5-7.

2. What do you love about golf? I love golf because it's both the most relaxing and most stressful sport. There's nothing better than being outside in nature enjoying well manicured courses, warm weather and good company. My Dad is the main reason I got into golf so any opportunity to hit the course with him is time well spent.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've known MyGolfSpy for awhile but have never really delved into everything they have to offer. I heard about them while working at Titleist and followed them on Instagram but being out of the golf industry again I want to get back into being an outsider looking in on the industry. I don't necessarily have brand loyalties, I like many brands all for different reasons. Also, I do not know any other Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm originally from Sylvania, OH and after two moves, one to Cleveland and the other to Massachusetts, I'm back in the Midwest once again and will be living in Saline, MI just south of Ann Arbor. I don't currently have a home course but am looking to join Polo Fields Golf and Country Club in Ann Arbor.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing about golf in our region is how green everything can be. Espcially in Michigan there is such a variety of courses that feature gorgeous landscaping, tree lined fairways and rolling terrain. Fall golf in this region is something everyone should experience at some point in there lives, it's breathtaking. For the midwest in general there is a vast variety of open courses, closed off courses, hilly courses, flat courses, links style courses, etc. You name it and you can probably find it here. The worst thing is the weather. You may only get 6 or 7 good months out of the year to play here so you definitely make the most of it.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a Motion Graphic Artist currently working remotley for a small creative company out of the Cleveland area. But before that I worked at Titleist in their marketing department where I made multimedia content for social media, web and television.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Unfortunately there's nothing special about my user name. My first name is Andrew but I go by my middle name Nathan and Nate for short. First (preferred name), last name initial.

• Like 4

Nathan Elekonich

Titleist TSi3, Titleist 910 13.5, Taylormade Rescue TP, Titleist MB's, Titleist Vokey Wedges, Scotty Cameron Circa '62