Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

GolfSpy MPR

8 hours ago, Landof10KGolf said:

@Tyler86 You've got a lot of good courses west of the Metro. Chaska Town will be everyone's favorite, but its pricey. Same with Rush Creek. If you're looking for high quality courses, but not as expensive, Deer Run in Victoria, Pioneer Creek in Maple Plain, and Wild Marsh out in Buffalo are all great options. If you're willing to go south a bit, The Wilds is another fantastic option. 

Give me a follow on Instagram @Landof10KGolf and you'll see pictures from many of those courses to judge for yourself. 

Hahaha, yeah. I was asking where abouts in MN you reside.

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Guess I should FPA a bit better.

I'm also in Maple Grove.  🙂

• Like 1

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 8:15 AM, JerryB said:

That is the exact reason that I started playing earlier this year.  Welcome to the forums.  Best way to learn to play properly is to get lessons.  It'll save you a bunch of headaches.

That being said, I haven't had a lesson yet.  My learning so far has been through YouTube videos and trial and error.  I've spent time at the range.  After the outing I knew at work golfed so I asked a few people if they wanted to golf with me.  There are two people I work with in particular that are pretty good, so I actually offered to pay for a round in exchange for tips and advice while we played.

That's awesome. Thanks for the welcome.
I ended up playing 2 rounds now on my own, after some time at the range. I was so nervous to go out on my own, but I got paired up with a group and it was a blast

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 12:46 PM, chisag said:

... I would highly recommend starting with a lesson to understand the basics before bad habits get a foothold. Many that first start golf look at it logically and golf just isn't logical. It is common sense to think the face of the club should stay square to the ball and the target line instead of rotating open. This can put almost everything in a bad position in your backswing and again, allow bad habits. Hitting down to make the ball go up is just counter intuitive. 

... So even if you are not interested in series of lessons, getting started with at least one lesson is always a very good idea. 

Thanks for the advice. There are so many options for lessons, any suggestions? There are the indoor places like GolfTec, or Club Champion; there is PGA superstore, and there are some golf courses near me that offer classes. But I feel like everyone is trying to sell me equipment, not teach me.

7 minutes ago, montesdanny said:

Thanks for the advice. There are so many options for lessons, any suggestions? There are the indoor places like GolfTec, or Club Champion; there is PGA superstore, and there are some golf courses near me that offer classes. But I feel like everyone is trying to sell me equipment, not teach me.

... I moved from Chicago a year ago but I would suggest never taking indoor lessons unless I had worked with an instructor outdoors first. Some teach from a warm shed and hit balls into a range. Actually seeing your ball flight is a very valuable training aid. I would try finding instructors on YELP and see what pops up. For an absolute beginner talking a group class isn't a bad idea to learn the basics but beyond that I would highly suggest individual instruction. Good luck! 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Hello! Glad to be here. A little bit about me....

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have been playing golf for 39 years. Started when I was 8 and was hooked. HCP is around a 4 index and my average this year is around 78.

What do you love about golf?

I appreciate the challenges it presents, the architecture of the classic designs as well as my time spent on the course while playing. Nothing better than pulling off the shot you envision and hitting it right on the button.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I'm here after reading some of the great reviews on Maltby equipment. I like to tinker and there are some great threads here. Plus, the demeanor here seems to be more polite than the other blog that I frequent.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I'm from Milwaukee. Grew up playing the county courses, but have been a member at Meadowbrook CC in Racine for a couple of years.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best thing about golf here is the amount of courses that you have access to, as well as the quality of the courses. Worst thing is obviously the shortened season.

What do you do for a living?

I'm a software developer.

How’d you pick your user name?

Just wanted something a bit different. Angular is a popular framework for building single page web applications and something that I have been developing in for around 4 years.

• Like 6

TM M2  Driver

TM M2 Tour HL 3W

Maltby (TS-1) 3-P

Maltby TSW 50 / 56

Hello everyone, Just found MGS in the last month (I wish I had found it a few years ago haha).

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have been playing on and off for over 20 years. Started as a little kid with my parents. Got out of it during college and at the start of my work career, playing with a few friends on the big summer holidays. Over the last couple years I have gotten a little more serious about playing (playing 15-20 rounds a year, most being just 9 holes).

What do you love about golf?

I love the ability to get outside (great when Covid hit) and enjoy some company of friends. The fact that people of all skill levels can get together and have a fun round.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I found the podcast on YouTube and loved all of the data presented. So I had to checkout the website to see it in ore detail. I am an engineer in my profession, so being able to look at all the data and use that data to make informed decisions (about how to change my golf game) was perfect. 

No I do not know any other spies.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Metro Detroit area now, but grew up in northeast Michigan. In Detroit I don't really have a "home course right now", but up north there is a little 9-hole course that is right around the corner I play pretty often. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best would be, there are plenty of affordable courses nearby. Worst would be the 4-6 months of cold and snow that makes it impossible to play (although now there area  few places that have simulators, and I also got the wife to approve building a sim when we buy a new house).

What do you do for a living?

I am an engine calibrator for an automotive company.

How’d you pick your user name?

I honestly do not know. It has just been one of the few usernames I have used for years haha.

• Like 5

John H.

My Bag:

Driver: Cobra Speedzone Extreme

3W: Cobra Speedzone

3h: Callaway Apex21

4-pw irons: Taylormade Rocketbladez

Wedge (s): 54 Taylormade MG2

Putter: Odyssey Chrismon 660

• 1 month later...

Hello there, decided to take the plunge and hopefully talk a little golf.   I live in Kenosha, WI and have a membership to the county courses here.  That allows me access to 3 eighteen hole tracks and a 9 holer.  I generally like to get out when the sun comes up and try to get in at least 60 rounds a year.    I'm 45 and have been playing for almost 40 of those years.  Been a walker for most of my days, but last year really took a toll on me and considering getting a pass with a cart this year and just walking occasionally.   I try to take a bucket list trip once a year.   This past year I played both Sand Valley courses the same day in the spring which was a pretty cool experience and also made it to Streamsong in FL for a round.    I am kind of a nerd for gear although I have finally cobbled a set together that I really like.  I am partial to Mizuno irons, Vokey wedges and Scotty putters.   Looking forward to hearing about other courses that people recommend, gear they are playing and maybe even meeting up for a round sometime if nearby. 

Edited by T-Bone
  • Like 2

Taylor Made M5 9.5 loft

Callaway XHot 14.5 loft

Taylor Made SIM 3 Hybrid 21 loft

Titleist T-MB 716 4 iron

Mizuno MP-25 5-PW

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

4 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Hello there, decided to take the plunge and hopefully talk a little golf.   I live in Kenosha, WI and have a membership to the county courses here.  That allows me access to 3 eighteen hole tracks and a 9 holer.  I generally like to get out when the sun comes up and try to get in at least 60 rounds a year.    I'm 45 and have been playing for almost 40 of those years.  Been a walker for most of my days, but last year really took a toll on me and considering getting a pass with a cart this year and just walking occasionally.   I try to take a bucket list trip once a year.   This past year I played both Sand Valley courses the same day in the spring which was a pretty cool experience and also made it to Streamsong in FL for a round.    I am kind of a nerd for gear although I have finally cobbled a set together that I really like.  I am partial to Mizuno irons, Vokey wedges and Scotty putters.   Looking forward to hearing about other courses that people recommend, gear they are playing and maybe even meeting up for a round sometime if nearby. 

Love Brighton Dale Links! Hard to find a tougher 9 than the Red Pines. I know most are partial to the White Birch layout, but I think I prefer the Blue Spruce. Either way, you can't go wrong!

TM M2  Driver

TM M2 Tour HL 3W

Maltby (TS-1) 3-P

Maltby TSW 50 / 56

It's been an enjoyable place to play over the years.  Usually play Blue on Saturday and White on Sunday.  Don't think I got out to the Red nine at all this year.   Made it over to Pets a handful of times which is kind of fun for a change of pace.  The greens out there are a bit ridiculous.    They had some kind of disease on the fairways two seasons ago and they made great strides this year getting those back.  Greens are always in pretty good shape other than fixing 3-4 ball marks on every green but that goes for almost every public course unfortunately.   For the price it is really tough to beat.  Usually done golfing by around 9am which is also tough to beat, and that is walking.  My guess is if I use a cart next year I'll be able to shave another 30 minutes off.  ha ha

Taylor Made M5 9.5 loft

Callaway XHot 14.5 loft

Taylor Made SIM 3 Hybrid 21 loft

Titleist T-MB 716 4 iron

Mizuno MP-25 5-PW

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron California Coronado