Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

GolfSpy MPR

On 2/11/2019 at 4:27 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Midwest Region

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia

What’s up guys, name is Andy, from Northwest Side Of Chicago, IL

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Just about to complete my fourth season playing golf. Currently a 14.1

2. What do you love about golf? Your always competing against yourself  never ending competition.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? The truth on equipment instead of reading a review written by someone who gets paid by that company.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Chicago, IL, no home course, play every where. Guess my favorite course to play is Highlands Of Elgin 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?Winter blows

6. What do you do for a living? Law Enforcement 

7. How’d you pick your user name? Uncreative, using my name

• Like 3

Driver - :ping-small: G400 Max 9* Project X HZRDUS Green 6.0 60g

3 Wood - :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 15* Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.0 65g

5 Wood - :ping-small: G 19* GD Tour ADDI 8X Black

Irons - :taylormade-small: 2017 P790s 4-AW Project X 6.0

Wedges - :nike-small:Engage 55* T.I. Grind, 60* Engage Dual Sole. DG Spinner Shafts

Putter - :cameron-small: Buttonback Newport 2 w/Stability Shaft 34”

Ball - :titelist-small: AVX and Still have Some original K-Sigs

Bag -:nike-small:Air Hybrid 14 Way Standbag. best bag ever! 

Laser- Bushnell V4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:43 PM, Matthewgvpa said:

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Proudly from the great state of Michigan.  I grew up in Birch Run (between Flint and Saginaw) and currently live in Midland.  My league play is at Currie Municipal in Midland, but I try to play all over the state when I can.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:43 PM, Matthewgvpa said:

How’d you pick your user name?

Matthew (name) gv (went to Grand Valley State University) pa (I'm a Physician Assistant(PA))

Welcome Matthew. I'm not all that far north of Midland, and I too graduated from GVSU, much earlier than you I'm sure. Anyhow ,welcome to MGS, this is a awesome place for golf!!!!

Chris

• Like 1

Far and Sure......

:ping-small:G410 SFT (10.5 degree)

:ping-small:; G400 SFT (9 degree)

:ping-small:: G20 4W

:callaway-small:       GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small:: G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*                                                         

:odyssey-small:    Dual Force Rossie ll

:bridgestone-small:   e12 Soft

How long have you been playing golf? Started way later in life then I wish I would have. Was 25 when I started playing

What’s your handicap or normal score? Average about 90-92

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Love talking golf and meeting others

Do you already know any other Spies? Know a few from a different site not to be mentioned

What is your home course? Don’t really have a home course but mostly play Brighton Dale Links at my cottage

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Weather is worst. Cold in winter and rain all summer

What do you do for a living? School custodian and just took a PT job at the new TopGolf opening in a few weeks

How’d you pick your user name? Had it since the start of the internet days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  

My Uncle introduced me to golf in the early 80s as a kid.  I was never any good and only played 2-3 times per year.  In the past few years I started playing in more charity scrambles and have had a lot of fun.  Last year I started getting more serious and this past summer I played about 50 rounds and another dozen charity outings.  I don't have an official handicap, but my swingxswing app says I'm an 18.5.  

What do you love about golf?

It's a break from work and something to focus energy on.  I love being on the course and the challenge is addictive.  I got my wife a set and some lessons and now she'll sometimes wake up on a Saturday morning and say, "hey, you want to go golfing?"  Yes, I do...

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  

Don't know of other spies, but I'll asking.  I like the independent reviews and test data.

Sidney, Michigan.  No real home course.  There are 3 within 15 minutes, so I rotate.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  

Weather.  It's November 2nd right now and it's cold, wet, and blustery.  April can't get here fast enough.

What do you do for a living?

Law enforcement

The shank part because it's a golf term,  I actually rarely shank it.  The dog part came from me being a K9 handler.

• Like 1
  • :taylormade-small: M3 driver
  • :ping-small: G425 3 wood
  • :cobra-small: F-max 5 wood
  • :cobra-small: F9 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX2 Wedges 52/58
  • :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 4 chipper
  • :taylormade-small: Ardmore 2 putter
  • :bridgestone-small:e12 soft golf balls

7 minutes ago, Shankdog said:

My Uncle introduced me to golf in the early 80s as a kid.  I was never any good and only played 2-3 times per year.  In the past few years I started playing in more charity scrambles and have had a lot of fun.  Last year I started getting more serious and this past summer I played about 50 rounds and another dozen charity outings.  I don't have an official handicap, but my swingxswing app says I'm an 18.5.  

It's a break from work and something to focus energy on.  I love being on the course and the challenge is addictive.  I got my wife a set and some lessons and now she'll sometimes wake up on a Saturday morning and say, "hey, you want to go golfing?"  Yes, I do...

Don't know of other spies, but I'll asking.  I like the independent reviews and test data.

Sidney, Michigan.  No real home course.  There are 3 within 15 minutes, so I rotate.

Weather.  It's November 2nd right now and it's cold, wet, and blustery.  April can't get here fast enough.

Law enforcement

The shank part because it's a golf term,  I actually rarely shank it.  The dog part came from me being a K9 handler.

Welcome, glad to have another Michigander!

• Like 1

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron (18°): :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

Irons (4-PW)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

Law enforcement

Warm greetings from a 'next door' neighbor in northwest Ohio.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 4 weeks later...

1.       How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Been playing golf since I was young but really started taking it seriously after high school when I was done with baseball and could focus more time on it.  I still have a lot of work to do on my game but I normally shoot under 90.

2.       What do you love about golf?

I’m very competitive whether it is with other people or myself.  I love the game and love seeing and playing new courses.

3.       What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

This will be my longest answer.  I’ve lurked here a while but finally decided to sign up and contribute in conversation as I spend time on sites like these for the sports teams I follow.  I’ve always liked new golf courses and grab a logo ball at every one I play.  Started collecting them as kind of a half assed hobby.  On top of that, I play in a Ryder Cup style tourney with a bunch of high school friends and this last year I was put in charge of just researching new locations to play.  I got obsessed.  Spent countless hours looking at potential destinations, courses, pricing, things to do in the area, etc.  Loved it so much I reached out to semi local golf trip planners to see if they needed help or had any job openings.  I’m going to start doing a yearly trip now to hit a bunch of these spots throughout the upper Midwest and even further away if my wife ever leaves me or I can find more money somewhere.

4.       Where are you from? What is your home course?

Originally from Minnesota and currently live in Fargo.  The courses here aren’t very good so won’t attach myself to any of them.  I had a membership at Geneva Golf Club in Alexandria, MN growing up and still have a lot of friends there.  One is the head pro there, so I’d say that has to be the home course.

5.       What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Like most in this Midwest section, the weather is the worst.  5 months to play isn’t enough.  Also, Faro is in the Red River Valley which is one of the flattest areas in the Western Hemisphere.  Golf courses are super flat and boring.  It also means that its windy all the time making golfing a little more annoying.

6.       What do you do for a living?

Do consulting work (managing 3rd party partners) for Microsoft.

7.       How’d you pick your user name?

Remember the song “I’ll take you to the Candyshop” by 50 cent?  When I was in college I used to ask girls if they wanted me to bring them to the Vandyshop (Vandy is my nickname)…yeah, it never worked.

Edited by Vandyshop
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, looking forward to joining the group and interacting with you all. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf for about 20 years, with some time off in between. Started getting serious again last summer.  My handicap is 7

2. What do you love about golf? I love being outside and getting fresh air. My daughters are 8 and 10, so not it is a nice family day out on Sunday afternoons for all four of us. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I have watched their website and used their reviews to make purchasing decisions over the past year. I do not know any other spies. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Green Bay , WI and usually play at either Royal St Patricks or Thornberry creek in the area. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best - We have a nice variety of golf course style (park vs links), price ranges, and extremely high quality courses (Whistling Straights, Erin Hills)

6. What do you do for a living? I sell industrial food colors

7. How’d you pick your user name? It is 6 degrees outside so it seemed appropriate. 

Edited by Cold Wisconsin Golfer
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

1.       How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Started playing golf in 1998 while on a contract job in England.  Current handicap is 5.6.

2.       What do you love about golf?

I love that you can play at almost any age or skill level.  A group can have 4 players of all different skill levels and they can still compete against one another on a level playing field (sandbaggers excluded of course!)  🙂

3.       What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Started following on instagram recently and thought this would be a good way to meet up with like minded players when I travel for work.  Nothing worse than showing up at a course as a single and getting paired with slow players that know nothing about the game.

4.       Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live in the metro Detroit area.  I don't have a home course. I enjoy playing different courses and most of my golfing buddies live in different areas, so we play all over.  Arcadia Bluffs is my favorite Michigan course though.

5.       What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best things about golf in Michigan is the bent grass and general course conditions.  We have so many good courses around us that are all in great condition.  No shortage of fun courses to play.  The worst thing is having to stop playing when it snows.  I will play in 30 degree weather with a cart heater and cover, but snow makes it kind of tough.

6.       What do you do for a living?

I am a design and consulting engineer working in the metal 3d printing industry.

7.       How’d you pick your user name?

My family is from the Czech Republic (CZ) and my name is Rob.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus 6x Patriot Edition

:callaway-small:X-Hot 4 wood - HZRDUS smoke 70x

:callaway-small:Apex 21 combo set (Apex 4-7, Pro 8,9, MB P,A) Modus Tour 120x

:callaway-small:MD5 wedges (54, 60) Modus Tour 120X

EV3D Custom Ares mallet center shaft putter

:callaway-small:Chrome Soft Truvis yellow/black

45 minutes ago, CZ-Rob said:

My family is from the Czech Republic (CZ) and my name is Rob.

Welcome to the forum!  My first thought was "this member also like wing shooting"... my CZ Canvasback 12-26 is my favorite shotgun.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Welcome to the forum!  My first thought was "this member also like wing shooting"... my CZ Canvasback 12-26 is my favorite shotgun.

Not much of a shotgun shooter yet.  I would like to try clays and skeet.  I mostly hit the local range for some rifle and pistol.  Love my CZ P-07 9mm.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Ventus 6x Patriot Edition

:callaway-small:X-Hot 4 wood - HZRDUS smoke 70x

:callaway-small:Apex 21 combo set (Apex 4-7, Pro 8,9, MB P,A) Modus Tour 120x

:callaway-small:MD5 wedges (54, 60) Modus Tour 120X

EV3D Custom Ares mallet center shaft putter

:callaway-small:Chrome Soft Truvis yellow/black

9 minutes ago, CZ-Rob said:

Not much of a shotgun shooter yet.  I would like to try clays and skeet.  I mostly hit the local range for some rifle and pistol.  Love my CZ P-07 9mm.

CZ makes some great value for the $$ firearms.  The quality of the burl wood stocks, up until around 2000, was amazing.  I also have the P-01 which was the NATO issued pistol for many years.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Howdy y'all!  Registered for the forums quite a few years ago, have posted a few times, but not sure I ever actually threw out an introduction.  I guess I will do so now....

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?
    First full season playing golf was 1999.  I'm currently around a 7 hdcp.

2. What do you love about golf?
    I seem to be drawn to games and activities.  Baseball, softball, basketball, football, futbol, bowling, etc, ad nauseum.  Have enjoyed all of these, #2 son got me started playing golf,  I was bitten by the bug, and here I am.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?
    Been on many/most of the golf forums over the last couple decades.  Lurked on the GolfOnline Equipment Forum, was on GEA, briefly on GO, FreeGolfInfo, spend time at WRX, and so on.  I've met a fair number of fellow golf nerds thru both GEA and WRX, unsure exactly how many folks here I may be acquainted with.  🙂

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?
    Born and bred in Twin Cities MN.  Play most of my golf at Pheasant Acres in the NW Metro area.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?
    We have a fair number of options to choose from around here.  And, we have that rather ugly enforced layoff every year; MN winters kind of suck.

6. What do you do for a living?
    I'm a bean counter, specifically in grant financial reporting 

7. How’d you pick your user name?
    Friend of mine and I were giving each other crap, she compared me to that long eared animal that beats a drum in certain battery commercials.  I decided to make it my own by applying a bit of a "hooked on phonics on acid" filter.  N.R.Jyzr  <shrug>.  It's kind of stuck around.  Like a fungus?

• Like 3

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5" -or- King LTD, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; TBD iron set, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5, Kirkland Signature 3pc v2

• 4 weeks later...

1. How long have you been playing golf? Since 1977, when I was 17. What’s your handicap or normal score? Averaged 41 this years in a 9 hole league, 75 is good, 85 is bad.

2. What do you love about golf?  Out-driving my brother.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy?  Saw it on Youtube. Do you already know any other Spies? No

4. Where are you from? Rochester, MI What is your home course?  Don't really have one, but I play at Copper Hills, Stoney Creek, Blackheath,  Pine Valley,  Glacier, Orchards, Greystone

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Great, plush fairways but slow greens.    Then there is the weather, which is bad from Dec-March.

6. What do you do for a living? PLC Programmer, who is at the end.

7. How’d you pick your user name?   Slow is how I walk up stairs, low for my stomach.  Has nothing to do with my takeaway with the driver.

This is Carl's Golfland, a few years back, this is how some of us practice golf in December.

20151121_092635_002_01.jpg

• Like 4

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Only been playing religiously in our short seasons for about 5 years now. usually shoot around 96, sometimes I can light up and break into the high 80's! lol

2. What do you love about golf?  Honestly I love the challenge and the camaraderie with my buds on the course.  I love going out to new places and enjoying the nature and the crafted architecture a good course.  Especially when we get to go to a great course, "Wouldn't it be great to do this everyday?" gets mentioned at least once a round!  I also thoroughly enjoy some after round beers with the crew!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  First off I don't know any other spies.  I stumbled across MyGolfSpy just recently after I was reading a forum discussion on GolfWRX,  (was researching PXG clubs, before I went in for a fitting), which lead me to a 'No Putts Given' Podcast that eventually lead me to the site.  I love the reviews and the dives into tech and finditcutit.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  From the Burbs of Chicago, now I live in Sterling IL, about 2 hours west of the city.  Home courses would be Emerald Hill and Rock River Country Club

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The best thing about this area is that we are not far from some great courses like, TPC Deer Run,  Eagle Ridge,  Fyre Lake and there are some hidden gems within an hour drive.  The other great thing about my region is the cost of golf is incredibly low compared to where I grew up.  Almost all the courses around here are $20-45 with a cart.  Worst part is the season is short, winter frosts roll in quick.  Some friends and I are gonna combat this by going on a few golf trips this winter.

6. What do you do for a living? Firefighter

7. How’d you pick your user name?  Combo of my nickname and my tendency for the inevitable 3 putt

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen1  9degree

Wood: PXG 0341 Gen1 15degree

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 19degree

Irons: PXG 0211  5-GW 2UP

Wedge: Vokey SM7 60degree

Putter: PXG Gunboat

Hey all, long time lurker here. I've somehow managed to get away without registering and posting anything. Until now. I've been playing golf for roughly 18 years. After dabbling in the mid-90s for the first 12ish years I finally invested time (and money) in equipment and lessons--so last year I was able to get down into the 81-83 range pretty consistently by the end of last summer. Hopefully I'm able to break the elusive 80 barrier this summer. I'm a life-long Ohio resident (have bounced back and forth between Cleveland and Columbus a few times). I'll say that Ohio generally has a lot of good golf courses and people who love the game but the weather obviously makes the season inconsistent. I'm lucky that I'm able to get on a couple of the better courses around here--I play the Scarlet Course a few times a year, but mostly bounce around whatever course has an open tee time. I work from home for a software company, which has been pretty good for my game. It makes it easy to get to the range randomly in the middle of the day when I need a break from work. As for my screenname, I picked it because it's ridiculous. My name is Travis, and I thought it sounded really stupid. 

Edited by Cooltrav
  • Like 4

Columbus, Ohio - Go Bucks (and Browns, Tribe & Cavs)

WITB (RH, all are 1" short):

D - 10.5° TaylorMade SIM Max - Stiff Flex UST V2 shaft & Ventus Red 5 / 3W - Ping i20 - Stiff TFC 707 (stock) / 3H - Taylor Made M3 - 6.0 Flex Even Flow blue / 4-PW - Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5.5 Flex Project X LZ - 2° Strong / W - 52°, 56°, 60° Cleveland TA900 / P - Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Hi all. Been watching mgs on YouTube for a while along with the podcast but new to the site. From St. Louis area and always up for a round. Usually about mid-high 80s. Year and a half into my newly disconcerted golf obsession

Edited by Jnic17
Add
  • Like 2

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I first picked up a club when I was 3 years old, a cut down Adams 5 Iron.  I am now a 1.5 handicap.
  2. What do you love about golf?

I like the ability to meet so many new people.  I work at a Golf Course so I love to talk to members and go play with different people every now and then.
  3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I am here because I love to learn more about golf.  I am a huge nerd when it comes to club heads and especially shafts.
  4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am from Minnesota, my home course is Interlaken Golf Club
  5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

I love the Spring and Fall season or golf, but obviously it stinks that we usually can't play outside from November-March (Thats why I choose to go to college in Oklahoma)
  6. What do you do for a living?

I am a full-time student right now, playing college golf.
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

I use this username for quiet a few places.
  • Like 2

Greenwalker
Been Playing for 30 years
What I love about golf is the ability to challenge myself daily with this “stupid” game and to meet a lot of great people on the course and through my travels
I have followed GolfSpy for a long time and find a lot of the info to be very helpful on equipment. Thought it would be great to reach out to others with like interests. I know no others on the forum.
I live between Akron and Cleveland, Ohio.
Play most rounds at Westfield CC.
Best and worst items of living here are the fact that our courses are awesome in the spring, fall and summer. Worst is that we are closed for winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

18 hours ago, greenwalker said:

Play most rounds at Westfield CC.

First of all, welcome! Next, if you don't mind me asking, what's an estimate of the dues for Westfield? I may be looking for a new club at the end of the year.

Thanks.

• Like 1

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!