Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

North Central: ND, SD, NE, IA, CO, KS, MO

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

On 2/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: North Central Region

North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

Hello Everyone,

Been reading MGS forums and reviews for about as long as I have been playing golf. My first round that I played was at Fossil Trace Golf Club in Golden, CO on July 1st, 2020 and I lost 18 balls and shot over a 130... since then I have been obsessed with playing. I took some lessons and got fitted for clubs (now twice) and brought my handicap down to an 18.3 as of writing this post.

My favorite thing about golf is how competitive it can get when hanging out with friends. While I do love to blast through 18 by myself, going out with the boys on a Saturday or Sunday is unbeat. 

When I am not golfing, I write code as a Full-Stack software engineer. 

Also, here's a little WITB:

Callaway Rogue MAX LS 9* w/ Mitsubishi white 1k X-Stiff
Callaway Apex UW 19* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80

Taylormade p770 4i-AW w/ Project X Rifle 6.5

Callaway JAWS 54, 60 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Spinner 115

Odyssey White Hot OG #1 w/ Stroke Labs Red

Vessel Player III Stand 6-way

:callaway-small: Rogue MAX LS 9° (set to +1°)

:callaway-small: Rogue Max 3W 15°

:callaway-small:Apex UW 19°

:taylormade-small: p770 w/ Project X 6.5 (4-AW)

:callaway-small: Jaws Full-Toe Black 54° & 60°

:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"

:taylormade-small: TP5x 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing for about 20 years (5 rounds a year) but just got serious eight years ago (50 rounds a year). 83 is my normal average score. Lessons were key!

What do you love about golf? Playing with my boys. Older one (at University) shoots about the same as me. The younger one (HS) is a four handicap and although he has played here and there, just got into the game seriously last year.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? My boys turned me on to the site. They loved the detail information. Great content.

Where are you from? What is your home course? West Des Moines, IA - Glen Oaks CC

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Weather. Cold and rain, but when its nice out it can't be beat. 

Cobra LTDx LS woods

Ping i525 irons (Project X IO shafts)

Cleveland wedges

Ping Anser2 putter

BTW - WIMB

New 2022 Cobra LTDx LS based on Mygolfspy recommendation for distance at my swing speed

New 2022 Cobra LTDx 3 wood

TaylorMade Sim Hybrid (3 iron)

Ping i525 (4-PW) custom with Project X IO shafts

Cleveland RTX 5 ZipCore Wedges (50, 54, 58)

Ping Anser2 putter that I was given as a gift 20 years ago.

Cobra LTDx LS woods

Ping i525 irons (Project X IO shafts)

Cleveland wedges

Ping Anser2 putter

Hello!

I started playing a little in high school. After breaking my collarbone I switch from right-handed to left-handed - I can still swing righty but it is far more pleasant to play left. For a few years it was golfing most summer weekends but then it dropped to 1-2X per year for almost two decades. Last year I started playing more frequently again and am hoping to break 90 this year.

I have been reading MyGolfSpy since I got back into golf (annoyingly my work blocks it as a “blog” website) and usually play courses near Boulder Colorado.

I replaced all of my 20+ year old gear with a Callaway Edge set from Costco - way better than I had been playing but I didn’t feel confident with the driver/wood/hybrid on the regular shaft. I ended up moving to a mostly Mavrik setup, stiff flex, with a few random wedges and a Spider putter thrown in as well.

Edited by ColoradoDan

Hello all! I’m Mark my username is bunkerking not because I’m good out of bunkers but because I always find the bunkers! I’m from Omaha Nebraska where I work as a firefighter paramedic. I began golfing in middle school competitively. I would occasionally golf since then but the past 3 years I’ve been golfing at least 2-3 times a week and working a side job at a driving range. I typically shoot in the upper 70s with good and bad days from there. The best thing about where I’m at is the availability of golf courses but the worst thing is the weather. Extremely hot summers and extremely cold winters make year round practice difficult. I came to Golfspy just to be involved more in the golfing community and get the scoop on new equipment. Currently I’m gaming two different bags depending on the course and season. The first bag has a ping pld Oslo 4, 60, 56, and 50 Miura tour wedge, titilest t100 iron 4-P, ping icrossover 3  iron, titilest tsr2 3 wood, and a titilest tsr 3 driver. The second bag I have a Scotty Cameron floback 5.5, 58 and 52 Miura tour wedge, Miura MB101 3-P, Srixon U825 2 iron, and a callaway paradyme triple diamond driver. Shafts are always subject to change since I enjoy tinkering! 

Driver: Paradym and TSR3

Fairways: Mini 300 driver and TSR3 

Irons: U825 2 iron , icrossover 3, TCB 4-P,         Miura MB101 3-P

Wedges: Miura Tour 52 and 58, Miura K grind 50, 56, and 60

Putters: Scotty Flowback 5.5, Ping PLD Oslo, Sink golf NP2GSS

• 3 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• Been playing golf since 2021. I had played maybe a couple rounds of golf a year since 2010 with friends and family, but bought my first set of clubs and really started playing in 2021. Started with a 27 handicap in 2021 and got it down to an 11 from 25 last year. Sitting at 10.5 with a goal of getting to a 7 by the end of the year. Typically shoot between 80-86.

What do you love about golf?

• I love the challenge, keeps your competitive drive alive. Also nothing better than the pure bliss you experience from a great shot. Nothing frees the mind better than walking 18 in the morning.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• I had lurked for a bit, but MGS got my attention when I was looking to purchase my first set of clubs. I don't know of anyone else here.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

• I've lived in Southeastern Nebraska my whole life. York Country Club is my home course, it's a nice little track.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Right now, the worst thing is the wind. It doesn't keep me from golfing, but it can be pretty brutal at times. I like to play a lot of different courses, it's nice that there are a lot of decent courses to chose from here.

What do you do for a living?

• I'm an accountant for a utility company.

How’d you pick your user name?

• My name is Jared. 3 has always been my go to number for jersey numbers or usernames and D-Wade was my favorite basketball player growing up.

Driver: Mizuno STZ220 HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX

UDI: Titleist U505 TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Irons: Ping G425 4-PW True Temper Elevate 95

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 48,52,56,60 Dynamic Gold Spinner

Putter: Taylormade TP Hydroblast Bandon 3 TP Stepped

I started playing in 2008 for a few years, then had to take several years off. Really got started playing in 2015 and have played quite a bit since then. I recently took last year off because of a shoulder surgery but pre surgery I was down to a 4.7 and consistently shot low 80’s or high 70’s. Post surgery I’ve struggled to get back to where I was and don’t have an active handicap but would guess somewhere around 10 right now last few rounds have been right at 80, but on easier courses and moved up a set of tees.

I’ve followed MGS for many years and would often consider their data driven testing to be kind of a secret weapon others didn’t know about. I think that’s often still the case. I love seeing research on all things golf. Strokes Gained, spike vs spikeless shoes, ball consistency data…

Living in Denver, Colorado and have had memberships at Common Ground and Green Valley Ranch. I’ve played them the most but I would say my “home course” can shift year to year

Winter and hard ground. I miss playing year round and most of our courses have pretty firm turf. I think the quality of golf for the price in Denver isn’t the best. I’ve played much better and cheaper courses in places that get stuff like rain… The best part would be the distance! I mean who doesn’t enjoy hitting a 200 yard 7 iron!

I own a few coffee shops around town and love what I do. I am addicted to both coffee and golf and my career allows for both!

WITB

Titileist TSi 3 - Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke 6.0 / 60g

Titileist TSi 2 • 13.5° - TENSEI Blue Stiff / 65g

Titileist TSi 2 • 18° - TENSEI Blue Stiff / 65g

Mizuno MP 20 SEL • 4 - P - Project X LZ 6.0 120g

Mizuno T22 • 50° 54° 58° - Project X LZ 6.0 120g

Evnroll ER 2   •   Vice Pro Plus   •  Vice Cart Bag   •  Arccos   •  Callaway Tour Authentic    •  Clicgear 3.5+

Untitled design-3.png

My name is Jeremy, been lurking in the background for awhile on My Golf Spy and decided I should actually participate😂😂 so here we go!

Been playing Golf for about 36 years now. Handicap is 10. I fell in love with the game at an early age when I found out that even though I had a physical disability it was a game I could play. There aren’t enough words for me to describe my love for this crazy game we all play.

Started following my Golf Spy awhile back and have always appreciated their content.

I live in Derby Kansas but I was born and raised in Denver Colorado. Play most of my Golf at Derby Country Club. Golf in Kansas will test your patience and teach you really quickly to keep your ball flight pretty low! I’m pretty lucky to be a stay at home Dad so needless to say it affords me the ability to play a lot of Golf! 

And I never slice!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I HAVE PLAYED GOLF SERIOUSLY FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS NOW AND LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT GOLF.  YES, IT IS FRUSTRATING BUT THERE IS ALWAYS THAT ONE SHOT THAT BRINGS YOU RIGHT BACK IN.  20 HDC HERE BUT TRYING REAL HARD THIS YEAR TO LOWER THAT.   I STRUGGLE OFF THE TEE WITH A HOOK SO TRYING TO WORK THAT OUT.  

THE COMRADERY AND COMPETITION BETWEEN FRIENDS, LOVE TO WATCH GOLF AS WELL.  

JUST LIKE TO LEARN ABOUT NEW EQUIPMENT AND READING PEOPLES THOUGHTS ON EQUIPMENT AND THE GAME IN GENERAL.   TESTING STUFF IS ALWAYS FUN TOO

WAUKEE, IOWA.  DONT REALLY HAVE A HOME COURSE AS I LIKE TO TRAVEL AND PLAY THEM ALL.

BEST I WOULD SAY IS THE RATES AND ABUNDANCE OF COURSES.  WORST IS NO WINTER GOLF FOR SURE

LOGISTICS COORDINATOR 

• LTDx 9* TOUR AD-VR 6x
  • CLEVELAND LAUNCHER XL 15*
  • COBRA SPEEDZONE 19* HYBRID
  • CALLAWAY XR WITH ELEVATE 95S 4-AW
  • CBX2 54* TM BIG FOOT 58*
  • ODYSSEY VERSA 3 TS
  • CHROME SOFT X LS YELLOW

On 4/19/2023 at 11:56 AM, knothead17 said:

Living in Denver, Colorado and have had memberships at Common Ground and Green Valley Ranch.

I'm out in Denver as well, but I've never played either of these courses somehow. GVR is a little out of my way as I am closer to C470 but I just drove past common ground yesterday looking at some new construction townhomes. How do you like those courses? Common ground looked killer and I also know that it's the CGA HQ as well!

:callaway-small: Rogue MAX LS 9° (set to +1°)

:callaway-small: Rogue Max 3W 15°

:callaway-small:Apex UW 19°

:taylormade-small: p770 w/ Project X 6.5 (4-AW)

:callaway-small: Jaws Full-Toe Black 54° & 60°

:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"

:taylormade-small: TP5x 

2 hours ago, invee123 said:

I'm out in Denver as well, but I've never played either of these courses somehow. GVR is a little out of my way as I am closer to C470 but I just drove past common ground yesterday looking at some new construction townhomes. How do you like those courses? Common ground looked killer and I also know that it's the CGA HQ as well!

It's been a few years since I played there but I really enjoyed it. It was always in great shape, long, challenging, interesting. Wider fairways, but tall native if you miss the fairway and rough your ball is likely gone. Like most courses it can get very busy, especially the driving range. I would consider it the best value (quality to price) in Denver

Untitled design-3.png

Nebraska here currently playing PXG 0311P Gen 3 irons, PXG  XF gen4 driver,

gen 3 5 and 7 woods. Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 Putter

PXG 0311P Gen 3 Irons

PXG 0311 Gen 4 Driver

Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 putter

As I tell every new golfer I am paired with' "I don't usually play lie this."

Been playing golf my whole life, recently got down to a 1.8 index and trending in the right direction.

I love the grind and that you get out of the game what you put into it. 

I've always gone to MGS for reviews. Always felt they are honest and point out equipment I never would have considered trying. 

Denver, CO. Play mostly at Commonground GC and Cherry Hills in Englewood when my dad will have me out there. 

The seasonality of golf in CO is brutal, but its hard to beat fall golf in the Denver area. 

6, What do you do for a living?

I sell ranch real estate.

Just bored f****** around at the office. 

WITB 

Driver-Titleist TS w/a Tensei CK Prototype in TX 70 grams. Got it from a buddy who was on the KFT at the time. Special club. 

3W-Srixon ZX w/a HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70 gram. Got it based off of MGS review and love the stick. 

Hybrid-Ping G425 4 Hybrid w/ Rogue Black TX 85 G shaft. Love this thing/ 

Irons 4-PW-Callway TCB w Project X 6.5. Just go these irons a few months ago and they are amazing. 

Vokey 52, 56 & 60. 

Hello fellow Spies! My name is Joshua and I am from IA! I started golfing at a young age thanks to my grandma who got me my first set of RAM kids clubs and have been hooked ever since. Played a year on the golf team in high school back in 2015 but played more casually since then. I enjoy getting out any chance that I can and always looking for new players to play 18 with.

• Ive been playing since about 2007. I usually shoot high 70s or low 80s. 18 handicap currently hoping to get to single digits soon

• I love just being outside and enjoying the views on the course. I enjoy meeting new people on the course

• Im fascinated by all the different club specs, data and enjoy seeing the numbers on whats out on the market. Id love to one day work on or build clubs.

• Im from Waukee, IA. My home course is a small 9 hole course but lots of great courses throughout the area

• The looong winter months, thankfully we have simulator bars around

• Im an Infrastructure Engineer

• I am a soon to be dad!

:Ogio: 2020 Convoy SE Cart Bag
:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver, 3W, 4H
:PXG: 0311 P Gen 2 5-PW
:callaway-small: MD3 S Grind 54, 58
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Double Wide
Maxfli Tour X Ball

I have been playing golf for a little under 2 years, which in Colorado means I am on season 2 of golfing with a lot of simulator time during the winter. And my normal score is right around 100 on a par 72, but I am close to making it into the low 90's!

I love golf as a way to hangout with my friends and family and get out of the house for hours. It has become a weekly occurrence for my brother and I to get a tee time together.

My brother has been active in the community and talks about it enough that I had to join and get an understanding for what he was talking about. I also want more experienced players giving insight on the sport and try to learn and improve my game. 

I am originally from southwest Florida (never played any golf down there) now I live in Englewood Colorado and love it out here. As for my home course I don't really have one yet. My goal is to play as many new courses as I can. The courses that I have played most are Kennedy Golf course, Fossil Trace, and Beaver Creek country club. 

The best part about my region is the diversity of sports that you can do throughout the seasons, the worst part is that half of the year you aren't able to play golf on a course and are limited to simulators. 

I work in hotel management but in about a years time I will be working in the cyber security field. 

My username is just a combination of my first name and first initial of my last name, nothing to special. 

Cole Marsh

I picked up golf last summer in June. I had swung a club here and there but never really been out on a course. In August I tore my PCL mountain biking and golf was the only sport I could do for a while and I got really into it. I recently have been right around 100 I have yet to break it on a full 18. Played a 9 hole course last week and was 9 over so I’m on track to break 100 this summer.

I enjoy the challenge of it. I don’t often toot my own horn but I’m naturally athletic so I typically pick up new sports pretty fast. Golf is so skill based that I just can’t out athletic my friends like I can with other things. It’s really eating at my competitive side to not be at least average.

I came to learn more and continue to develop my game. I’m also a huge gear nerd so I love reading the reviews and learning about the equipment.

Im from Arvada, CO. I don’t really have a home course yet. I like to play new courses any chance I get. I do end up playing Coal Creek a fair amount as I’m in a scramble league at that course.

Courses in the mountains are amazing. Elevation changes and the views make for fun and unique rounds. Downside, you can really only play half the year due to winter but I’m a big skier so I don’t mind that too much.

I work in IT but more on the business side.

I’m bad at golf but aspire not to be. 

WINTB

Driver - Ping G25 stock shaft. I got it from my father in law (huge improvement to the 20 year old Cobra I had played last summer)

3W - Calloway Rouge SZ even flow shaft. Another hand me down from my father in law. He claimed he can’t hit it (neither can I) but I suspect he was being nice. 

3H - Calloway Apex Pro Kuro Kage Stiff shaft. 

Irons - 4-PW Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scott. Bought at a play it again to get out on the course. I had to extend them 1.25 in and the lie angle is no good for me but they get the job done for now. 

Wedges - Calloway Jaws 50 and 54 degree and Vokey 58 degree 

Putter - Taylormade Ardmore 3 in patina. Evnroll ER2 (just found one at a play it again for 70 bucks and couldn’t say no)

Edited by aguybadatgolf

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I started playing golf when I was 10 and just turned 50 in March. Current handicap is 6.3 and my lowest was 1.2 when I was in college. I typically shoot 75-82 but my goal this year to have at least one round at par or better for 18. 

I really enjoy the mental challenge that comes with golf. I know I have the skills to break par but the mental game manages to get in the way. I also really enjoy the walk and being outside.

I enjoy talking golf and this provides a great community to do that in. I also really enjoy reading the reviews from staff and the testers.

I currently live in Omaha and play a wide variety of courses in the area  I’m originally from Oregon so the extreme heat and cold is something I still haven’t gotten used to even after living here for 17 years. I also hate not being able to play at all from Nov-Mar with the rare exception.

I’m a PE teacher so I get the benefit of having a lot of time to hit the course.

It was a nickname I picked up in college. Don’t really remember how but it managed to stick with me.

The best thing is the reasonable cost of living in the Midwest and golf is pretty affordable with some really good courses to choose from. But the high heat and humidity and gusty winds in the summer make for some challenging conditions to play in.

WITB

Driver- PXG Gen 5 with a Centus Blue shaft. Ordered it with the Hazardous Black but my shots were too erratic. But the Ventus and had a local shop add the adapter. Added 10 yards to my distance and improved my dispersion immensely.

4-wood- Callaway with Tensei shaft. Hit this consistently 245-250 carry.

3 iron hybrid- Mizuno FliHi with Hazardous Black shaft. My go to club when I need to hit the fairway but don’t need a lot of distance. Guaranteed 230 off the tee.

4-PW- Mizuno JPX 921 Tours. Bought these last fall after using my Ping Eye2 set since 1990. Absolutely love these irons.

52°,56°,60°- Cleveland Zipcore wedges. Really happy with these but would consider looking into Vokey wedges if I replace them.

Bettinardi BB1 Putter- Replaced my Ping Anser from 1986. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

On 3/31/2023 at 9:13 AM, Bunkerking said:

Hello all! I’m Mark my username is bunkerking not because I’m good out of bunkers but because I always find the bunkers! I’m from Omaha Nebraska where I work as a firefighter paramedic. I began golfing in middle school competitively. I would occasionally golf since then but the past 3 years I’ve been golfing at least 2-3 times a week and working a side job at a driving range. I typically shoot in the upper 70s with good and bad days from there. The best thing about where I’m at is the availability of golf courses but the worst thing is the weather. Extremely hot summers and extremely cold winters make year round practice difficult. I came to Golfspy just to be involved more in the golfing community and get the scoop on new equipment. Currently I’m gaming two different bags depending on the course and season. The first bag has a ping pld Oslo 4, 60, 56, and 50 Miura tour wedge, titilest t100 iron 4-P, ping icrossover 3  iron, titilest tsr2 3 wood, and a titilest tsr 3 driver. The second bag I have a Scotty Cameron floback 5.5, 58 and 52 Miura tour wedge, Miura MB101 3-P, Srixon U825 2 iron, and a callaway paradyme triple diamond driver. Shafts are always subject to change since I enjoy tinkering! 

I live in Elkhorn. If you’re ever looking for someone to play with send me a message!

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

Howdy! Just joining the forum but have been watching MGS on youtube for several months now.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing golf since I was about 7 or 8 so I'm going on 20 years by now. My handicap is around a 10-12. As of lately, it's about a 10.

What do you love about golf? I love being outdoors and I love sports. Golf is just something I love to play and happen to be good enough to enjoy it just a little more.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've been watching MyGolfSpy for about 8 months now because of my interest in golf. I started watching because I was interested in getting new irons. I got fitted for irons in February and they are complementing my game nicely.

Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Central City, NE and my home course is Valley View Country Club. A nice little 9 hole course.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Well I live in Nebraska....so that means pretty harsh winters, very windy springs, and very humid summers. The best part of golf in Nebraska is that the courses rebound from the harsh winter extremely well. 

What do you do for a living? I'm an engineer for an Oil and Gas company.

How’d you pick your user name? It's my first name and the first letter of my last name. How creative and original right???

Driver: Callaway Paradym X

5-Wood: Taylormade Burner

Irons: Paradym 4-AW

Wedges: 52 deg Cleveland RTX 588, 56 deg Vokey SM4

Putter: Nike OZ 5

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus Drip Lime

Hey Y'all, been lurking for a while and thought I'd take the plunge.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I started playing golf in Middle School. I've never been really good, but I like it so I do it anyway. A typical score for me would be between 85-90. 

What do you love about golf? I love that it's a social game and so varied. There are many aspects to work on so you're never complacent or satisfied. I get to spend 3+ hours with friends, so that's cool too. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I stumbled upon it because of the product reviews. I've stayed because I like the articles. I don't know anyone!

Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Columbia, MO. There's a muni about 3 minutes away I like to play, L.A. Nickell.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? There is a good mix of courses that are more links-style and parkland-style. The problem here in Columbia is that I don't have access to the best courses because I can't afford to be a member of a club!

What do you do for a living? I'm an ordained minister of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ.)

How’d you pick your user name? It's what I use for most things. My first and middle name initials and my full last name.

WIYB: RBZ Stage 2 Driver, Tour Edge EX 10 3 Wood, RBZ Stage 2 hybrid, Tour Edge Hot Launch Irons 4-AW, Tommy Armour 56 degree, Ping Anser 4 putter

Will

I will jump off the deep end….

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Eek.  Break out the calculator….been playing 33 years now, started at age 14.  Currently a 6.7, been working on some things - goal is <5 by July 

What do you love about golf? 3 things - the people, the fact you cannot master the game, and being outside and seeing the beautiful courses

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I’ve referred to this site (reviews) for many purchases, research.  Finally joined the forums.  No, no other spies that I know of (but typically aren’t spies under cover?)

Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Pella, Iowa - home course is Bos Landen

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? We just moved here 2 years ago from Scottsdale - so winters are brutal, I cannot stand them!  Plenty of nice courses, and you can’t beat fall golf

What do you do for a living? I am a sales director for supply chain software

How’d you pick your user name? Many call me JJ, but that’s too short - so dblj it is

WIYB: TM M6, TM M6 3 Wood, TM GAPR 2 hybrid, TM P790s, Vokey SM 58, Odyssey White Hot Versa Double

• 4 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? Off and on for 40 years.

What’s your handicap or normal score? 90

What do you love about golf? The quiet, with nature feeling. Playing with my 21 year old son. I was his coach in different sports growing up. Golf helps us still connect to sports other than watching sports. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Found it on Twitter. Began following and reading it there. Now I have joined the forum. Love that it is Independent reviews!

Do you already know any other Spies? No

Where are you from? Wichita, KS

What is your home course?

Hidden Lakes outside of Derby, KS Also play Sierra Hills in Wichita. 

Summers are HOT. We are currently in a drought, so greens get hard and fairways can turn yellow if not watered enough. Best is, we can play year around at times. Winters aren’t as cold and snowy as when I was a kid, so we get some 50 degree days in winter to play. 

What do you do for a living? I used to be a teacher and coach. Retired from that. Now I work at Sticks 96 Golf in Wichita, KS. They do fittings, lessons, re-grip, re-shaft, and have some retail clubs, gloves, bags, t-shirts, etc. 

How’d you pick your user name? A lot of people call me coach. I’m not a great golfer, so I coached, but not golf haha

Edited by Coachbutnotgolf

Jason Catlin, Ole Duffer

I've been playing for since I was a kid. My oldest brother would take me out with my brother in laws and play even when kids weren't supposed to be on the course. I got pretty good in high school but gave up the game for a few years right after. I've started playing regularly over the past 5 or 6 years and have gotten my score into the low to mid 70's on the courses I play regularly. 

I love the competition and the games played within the group.

Found it on Twitter and started following. I don't know anyone else on here that I am aware of.

Born and raised in SW Missouri and I've been around here all of my life. I am a member at Briarbrook Golf Course but grew up at Neosho Municipal. I still love a good muni course but like the aspects of the club where you can hit the bar or the pool after playing as well.

Our region is fairly hilly so our courses have some good terrain. We have a good mix of public and semi-private places to play and generally speaking it's pretty affordable around here. The weather is probably the biggest downfall in my opinion. Summer humidity can make it pretty tough and the spring can bring a lot of rain making everywhere unplayable.

I own an insurance agency.

It's my name and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to change it now.

Mizuno 921 Tour 4-GW

Callaway Mack Daddy 54/58

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S 

Titleist TSI3 9 degree

TM Sim 15 degree

Hey fellow Spies...

Good to join you all. 

Played quite a bit in my mid to late 20's while I was in school.  Got married, kids, etc and played infrequently until kids were teens. 

Getting back into regular play, although I'd play every day if I could. 

Handicap is now 19, down from 24 when I returned from regular play.  Goal to bring it down to 15 by the end of this season.  Getting there. 

Spending time outdoors.  Playing with my friends.  Finding places like this where I can learn from other golf obsessed players. 

I first came here looking for product reviews.  Stayed to interact and eventually do some testing.

I currently live in Lincoln, NE.  Hidden Valley is my home course.  Once I get down to 15...maybe I'll move up to Firethorn 

Best - I like the affordability.  Excellent/top notch courses in this area that are reasonable price for the quality (Quarry Oaks, etc.)

Radiologist. 

My initials and my occupation.  

5 minutes ago, Todd K. said:

I currently live in Lincoln, NE.  Hidden Valley is my home course.  Once I get down to 15...maybe I'll move up to Firethorn 

Hey there. I’m in Elkhorn. If you ever want to get together for a round let me know. I’m a teacher so have lots of time in the summer. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Off and on for ~50 years, got serious about it in the 1980's, then had kids. I'm 73, had both shoulders and knees replaced so just getting back into golf. Working my way down the 80's and looking to break 80 soon. I hope. My goal is to shoot my age. Not sure how old I'll have to be to do that. 😉

What do you love about golf? I love the mental and physical challenge of playing against myself, the chance to be outdoors, the opportunity to golf with my son.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Enjoy reading about golf, experience of others, equipment talk, been lurking for awhile.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Lincoln, NE. We have 4 great muni courses, and lucky to have some really nice courses in the state (Woodland Hills, Quarry Oaks, Wild Horse, Iron Horse, Indian Creek, Prairie Club, Dismal). Golf in the sand hills and natural prairie grass is hard to beat.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I love the game and the challenge. Nothing better than walking 18 at sunrise. The winters can be a little challenging.

What do you do for a living? Retired from Microsoft Services ("Have laptop, will travel" solution architect in delivery) in 2015, was a commercial builder/contractor in my former life before that.

How’d you pick your user name? Been using it for awhile.

Edited by marter

Callaway Paradym 9° | HZRDUS Silver 60

Ping G30 18° | TFC419F R

Ping G25 20°, 23° and 27° | TFC189H R

Mizuno MX-300 6-GW | GS95 R300, HS +1, +1/2"

Vokey SM oil can 54°, 58° | DG S200 +1/2"

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max

I played jr. golf about twenty years ago, but getting back into golf this year. Currently shooting 100+, but working on breaking 100.
    Being outdoors, and the feeling of hitting a great shot.
    Found MyGolfSpy through the Most Wanted lists, and I do not.
    Overland Park, KS and Tomahawk Hills
    Best and worst thing might be the same, we get a lot of sunny days here but it can also be brutally hot.
    I work in IT, DevOps
    Have had it for a long time.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)

-TJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, Long time lurker and just getting more involved in the community. Based out of Colorado Springs and play a lot in Denver and the surrounding area.

I started in high school and played 4 years. Went on a 10 year hiatus through college and getting my career off the ground and just got back into it last year. Playing at around a 6-7 averaging around 80, with recent low rounds of 73 and 76.

It's the most purely fun sport in existence. From practice to playing, no other sport is as genuinely fun as golf. I can also play it the rest of my life, which I can't with other sports I've played.

I keep tuning in for advice, club news, and tests, so might as well join the chaos!

From Cañon City but live in Colorado Springs and work in Denver. I frequent Kings Deer, Saddle Rock, Kennedy, but I keep some variety and play lots of different courses in the area.

Well, we hit the ball further than anywhere else in the country! But there's not nearly as many courses as there are people who play, so finding a tee time is always difficult. Also our weather is very unpredictable so that makes playing opportunities that much harder for those who work day jobs.

Architectural Engineer. Super fun stuff... 😴

It was earned by my severe lack of putting skills. I'm a great ball striker and I'd be scratch if I could just putt!

Edited by Matty 3-Putts

Ping G410 9° @ 7.5°

Ping G425 3 Wood

Ping Crossover 3 Iron

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 4 Iron, JPX 921 Tour 5-GW

Vokey SM8 56° & 60°

Wilson "The L" Putter

I've been playing golf since I was around 10 years old. My handicap is 17 right now, but usually hovers between 17-20.

A good ball strike is one of the better feelings in sports. When I'm striking the ball well, the score doesn't matter to me as much.

I've used MyGolfSpy to discover new equipment and look for deals.

I'm from Iowa and play mainly at Ankeny Golf and Country Club

We have a ton of courses here and they are typically kept very well. I don't love the bunkers here. It feels as though many of the bunkers are hard. Iowa is pretty flat, so most of the courses don't see neater elevation changes. Boone, TCI, and some courses in eastern Iowa stick out in offering some of that.

I'm a teacher

I picked my username because that is an eventual goal of mine. Not something I've been able to accomplish. I've gotten close a handful of times.

Edited by 80Breaker