North Central: ND, SD, NE, IA, CO, KS, MO

GolfSpy MPR

Welcome to the forum, hope ypu enjoy, good people here.

Tommy Armour TA -1 driver

Adams 2 hy

Adams 3 hy

Tommy Armour 4hy

Adams 5 hy

STi-2 irons 6-GW

Acer 52 & 54 wedges

Pinemeadow SS 400 putter

Hello All,

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• I started getting frustrated with the game about 10 years ago.  The GHIN system says my handicap 4, but I normally shoot 75-82.

2. What do you love about golf?

• I love because, I actually don't know why I love golf, I just do.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• I actually found MyGolfSpy when they first started up.  However, I am becoming more involved because I tend to track golf equipment pretty hard.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

• I am from Chicago moved to Colorado (go figure).  I currently don't have a home course, but I know my way around City Park. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

• Colorado gives you some of the best golf views in the nation, but the cost to play out here is ridiculous. 

6. What do you do for a living?

• Currently I am an "engineer."

7. How’d you pick your user name?

• It is a secret code

NMB

Titleist Pro V1x

Titleist 915D3/TS4

Tileist 917 F3

Mizuno MP-20 MMB

Mizuno T20s

Bettinardi Queen Bee 6

On 8/8/2021 at 5:06 PM, NMB14 said:

Hello All,

• I started getting frustrated with the game about 10 years ago.  The GHIN system says my handicap 4, but I normally shoot 75-82.

• I love because, I actually don't know why I love golf, I just do.

• I actually found MyGolfSpy when they first started up.  However, I am becoming more involved because I tend to track golf equipment pretty hard.

• I am from Chicago moved to Colorado (go figure).  I currently don't have a home course, but I know my way around City Park. 

• Colorado gives you some of the best golf views in the nation, but the cost to play out here is ridiculous. 

• Currently I am an "engineer."

• It is a secret code

Yeah golf in CO is outrageous imo. Also after last summer there has never been more players in the state than now. The fact you know city park well is honestly impressive considering the 18 hole weekend tee-times seem to be taken immediately after they are available two weeks out. I tend to play Kennedy since I live in Parker and my friends live near that course. Curious as to why you quoted engineer. Any fun story with that? 

• Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 8° Accra FX2.0 250 M4
  • PXG 5 wood turned 4 wood hzrd black
  • PXG 3 Hybrid hzrd black
  • Taylormade 2019 P790's KBS Tour S 4-5
  • PXG 0211 ST 6-GW
  • Vokey 54/58° sm8 
  • Mizuno Mcraft 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 6:44 PM, ST3LTR0 said:

Yeah golf in CO is outrageous imo. Also after last summer there has never been more players in the state than now. The fact you know city park well is honestly impressive considering the 18 hole weekend tee-times seem to be taken immediately after they are available two weeks out. I tend to play Kennedy since I live in Parker and my friends live near that course. Curious as to why you quoted engineer. Any fun story with that? 

YES! A lot of golfers! It seems everyone and their mother now golfs, literally.  It is great to see because I love watching the game grow, but the obviously it has really impacted the veteran hackers. 

I have an "in" there, so I tend to play there every other weekend morning... I am really grateful for that.  I have only played CP and Willis.  I have really not found an opportunity to play other city courses, but Kennedy seems fun. 

By degree, I am a Biologist/Health Scientist... due to COVID I was not able to immediately that market.  I ended up using my mathematic skills to design and implement critical infrastructure. 

• Like 1

NMB

Titleist Pro V1x

Titleist 915D3/TS4

Tileist 917 F3

Mizuno MP-20 MMB

Mizuno T20s

Bettinardi Queen Bee 6

1. How long have you been playing golf? 25 years or so, just got more serious about it recently.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score? 110-115 but taking lessons to drop that!

3. What do you love about golf? Just trying new courses, improving each time out, new challenges.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I don’t know why others, I started watching the podcast on YouTube and found my way here. 

5. Where are you from? What is your home course? Kansas City area. I play stone canyon mainly.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is a lot of good courses within a reasonable distance. Worst would be weather. It goes from blazing hot to snow on the ground.

7. What do you do for a living? I’m in sales for a technology company in the automotive industry.

8. How’d you pick your user name? Just my favorite team.

Current bag: titleist tsi2, rbz 3 hybrid, callaway x20 4-p, random wedges, old taylormade putter.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Been playing just over 50 years now. Come a long ways from the cut down wooden shafted clubs from Grandpa's basement!

2. I say my handicap is between my ears, but currently play to a 7.

3. I love that the 'same' course is never the same. Even when you play it the same day, the wind is different, the sun, the grass has grown, etc. Still gotta put the ball in the hole!

4. A co-worker mentioned it several years ago, just really decided to join in more now.

5. Midwest - Kansas City last 30 years. Play mostly public courses, but had a job where I could play most private clubs for about 10 years. Falcon Lakes or Paradise Point are where I play most rounds lately.

6. Best things: lots of choices on where to play.  Worst thing: I used to walk a lot, but most courses require a cart. I get the reasons, just miss the stroll down a fairway at sunset.

7. Retail manager for a pretty good national chain.

8. User name first came up in Fantasy Football, was then working in golf area and wanted to have a little fun with the name.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: North Central Region

North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

Hey everybody, MH here. I'm a 13 handicap who breaks 90 most days. The two things I love most about golf is the chance to be outside in nature and the chance to share in a game with friends and my dad. 

I live in Kansas City, Missouri and am a member at Lake Quivira Country Club. Our course is arguably the most distinctive course in the Kansas City area (which isn't to say that it's the best course in the area, but I really love it) due to its hills and its location right next to the lake. The course is in great shape right now. If there are KC guys / gals who would like to play a round at LQCC, let me know and I'd be happy to get you on with a guest fee of around $100. 

I'm a criminal defense lawyer with an office in Leawood, KS. Here's my current bag setup:

Driver: G410 LST, 9 degrees

3 Wood: Srixon Z85, 13.5 degrees

Utility iron: Srixon ZX 2 Iron

4 - 6 irons: Srixon ZX5

7 - PW: Srixon ZX7

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B6

Edited by TheEighthJuror

• 3 months later...

This thing on?

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Played a bunch growing up through high school. College (and then life) kept me out for awhile, but got back into it a few years ago, now back playing a couple times a week. Hovering right around 80-82 last season, hoping to start breaking 40 more consistently this year (mostly play 9 hole league rounds after work)

2. What do you love about golf? Get outside, a good walk, good company, good competition, and can also just go play 9 by myself and enjoy the quiet.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Been reading for awhile, love the lists and testing methods, always good to get reviews from people who've actually used and tested and not the "I got it yesterday, it's awesome!" reviews from ______.com. First posts, so no, don't know any Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Eastern Iowa right on the river border with Illinois and Wisconsin, there's a handful within 20 minutes of me I jump around on. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is course availability and affordability. Worst is having to take 3-4 months off every winter (got my garage setup though, nothing fancy but it keeps me sane)

6. What do you do for a living? HVAC design and installation

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my name. Not very creative, sorry!

Driver: :taylormade-small: M6 

Irons:  :mizuno-small:JPX919

Wedges: :taylormade-small:  54* and 58* MG3

Putter: :ping-small: Anser 4

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I started when I was 10 or so, thanks to my Dad.  I'm 58 now, and have played since I was a kid other than a few years where I didn't play much if at all, mostly due to career/travel.

What do you love about golf?

It's mental for me.  I like the challenge and strive to constantly improve.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I found MGS through club research/reviews, etc.  I don't know if I know any other Spies!

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I grew up in PA, and then lived in NH for eight years during and after college.  After NH, I moved to VA, and ended up in CO back in 1997.  Been here ever since.  Me and Mrs. 3puttsbad don't really have a home course, but play the South Suburban courses most often.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best is the scenery we get on a lot of the courses.  Playing with views of the mountains is incredible.  Worst are the costs and crowds.  The influx of people to Denver/Colorado over the last few years has really made recreation a lot more expensive and difficult.

What do you do for a living?

Software Product Trainer for a behemoth Aerospace company.  I work directly with Civ and Mil Flight Operations worldwide.

How’d you pick your user name?

I hate, HATE, three putts!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, originally from North Dakota, now living in Colorado.  Been playing since I could walk.  Plum Creek is my main course,used to be a 6 handicap, but now with young kids and a career In Healthcare not as much time to get out..so now an 11.  Getting out onto that freshly mowed grass and the feel of crisp contact... nothing feels better.

Swing hard, tell me later!

On 2/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: North Central Region

North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

Hey MGS North Central Region! 

You can probably tell by my name I’m not great at this forum stuff. Honestly it’s the first forum I’ve joined in years! I’ve followed MGS for years and finally decided to join the community!

1. Been Playing since I was around 12-14 years old. Play at my local course at 9.0 generally around mid 80s when I travel outside my comfort zone…

2. To me golf is something I can still do competitively that I don’t need all the boys to do and can still have a beer while I’m shooting around

3. Like I stated earlier, I’ve been watching and reading (and Listening) to MGS for years so I finally decided to jump in! I don’t however know any other spies yet.

4. I currently live around Logan, Iowa although I’m originally from central Iowa. My home course is now Logan-Missouri Valley Country Club

5. Beside the sights, sounds, smells. I’d have to say in this region we can literally play almost any course design in the hills, on flat bottom ground or even links style in the sand hills of Nebraska. I absolutely hate that I can’t go golf any day of the year. Winter. O this are tough weather wise and also with my current occupation.

6. Which leads me to what I do, I own my own consulting biz where I work with farmers on making more efficient and informative decisions. I also own a small commercial roofing company that really I have for tax purposes.

7.  Like I said I’m kinda new to forums and I’m not very creative so I chose my display name based on my actual name… 🤣

Tyler H

• Driver: Cobra RADSpeed 9* Fujikura Motore F1 w/ midsize MCC +4 grips
  • 3W: Cobra F9 13* Fujikura Atomos Blue w/ midsize MCC +4 grips
  • 2 Iron: Sub 70 699U Pro 17* Hzrdus Blk w/ midsize MCC +4 grips
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 Pro 4-PW Project X Steel w/ midsize MCC +4 grips
  • Wedgies 😉 : Cleveland RTX 3,4 50* 56* 60* std shafts n grips 
  • Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT mallet w/ SweetRollz Monte Carlo grip
  • Balls: TP5 Pix/Money Ball/USA (love the flair)

• 4 weeks later...

New to the golf spy group but long time lurker.  Cheers!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - played a lot in high school and lost the sport, now getting back into it, so 1-2x a month

2. What do you love about golf? - friends, being outside and just enjoying the game

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? - don't know any other people here.  Great resource for all information

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? - Boulder Colorado; Indian Peaks

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - Dry dry land and high elevation; fire risk year to year and snow shortens the season

6. What do you do for a living? - IT Consultant

7. How’d you pick your user name? - Go to name

Edited by capfan31

WITB

Driver - Callaway Rouge Max

3w - Callaway Rouge HL

Irons - 4-PW - TM Stealth with Aerotech i95 shafts

Wedge - Mizuno T22 Copper

Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG7

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? Since I was a kid, off and on. Only really started trying to improve my game in the last year. About 30 years of wild swings and 1 year of not quite as wild swings.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score? Handicap is 13, mostly due to years of ignoring the putter. Normal score is 89.1

3. What do you love about golf? Striking the ball cleanly and hitting it where and how I want. Hitting a perfect drive on purpose. The constant struggle of self against self, buoyed by the occasional rewarding moments. The fact that nearly anyone can make an amazing shot at any time. 

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Came for club research, then ball research, etc. Signed in for the giveaways. I don't know any other Spies yet.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from the Midwest, feels odd to call Missouri North Central. I live in the KC area, my home course would probably be WinterStone. I'm more of an itinerant golfer 

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The weather, and the weather. Decent options, but we keep losing courses.

7. What do you do for a living? Long time airline employee. Ramp Agent Supervisor

8. How’d you pick your user name? Stupid nickname, then login name from high school long ago. 

Donating balls since '94

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing golf for close to 40 years - sheesh, I'm not that old in my head.  I don't remember exactly when I started but somewhere around 10 maybe.  I never played regularly when I was younger nor did I compete at any level until my adult years.  Right now, I'm at a 13.1 and trending the right direction.  Trying to be in the 80s more consistently.

What do you love about golf?

I love the challenge of the game.  It seems so easy, but it is not!  I love getting out with friends and family and playing.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I think I originally came for product reviews.  I've been a lurker for a while.  I think I know 1 or 2 - a buddy that turned me on to MSG.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I live in Denver, CO and would say that my home course is Willis Case.  It's not a bad muni that has some amazing views of the foothills off of #1 tee.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

I can pretend to be a big hitter since I'm at altitude!  Many of our courses have beautiful views of the mountains or are in the mountains.  The worst thing in our region is the number of people that are playing.  It's tough to get a tee time on our muni courses post-pandemic.  We get more winter days than one might expect, but as a member of the Denver #17 Elks Lodge, I have access to our simulators that were installed last fall in partnership with the local high school teams.

What do you do for a living?

I'm a software sales engineer and have been in technology my whole career.  I enjoy connecting with people!

How’d you pick your user name?

It's my go-to, nothing fancy or creative.