GolfSpy MPR

North Central: ND, SD, NE, IA, CO, KS, MO

Posted (edited)

Whats up fellas.

How long have you been playing golf? I have been playing for about 25 years. However, I took about a 7 year hieatus after college. I still played acouple times a year but nothing like what I did before.

What’s your handicap or normal score? When I was coaching high school golf (and we did not have kids) I would regulary shoot low to mid 70's with an occasional round that snuck into the 60's. THese days, it really depends on who shows up. So far this year, I have shot as low as 72 and as high as 93. However, most of my rounds have been in the mid to high 70s. I put a 5 in my profile, but to be honest I havent really kept a handicap in years. It is rough guess but based upon my last 5 scores, my calcualtor says I am a 1.8. I am not sure if I believe that . hahaha

What do you love about golf? It souunds cliche but it is one of the few things that you do not have to be good at to really enjoy. Each day brings a new challenge and opportunity. I have met some great people on the golf course and I have met some real ass hats too. Golf really is a great reflection of life in general. I rea

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? YouTube videos. I liked the unbiased reviews and the use of scientific methods, data collection and analysis to really give us viable information. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? We currently live in the Saint Louis area. We do not belong to a club at this time but we are considering a couple of options when our youngest gets out of daycare.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I am a positive guy so, I would say that the pros really outweigh the cons. We have a lot of golf available and therefore a lot of people to talk golf with. The are seems to be enjoying a spike in golf interest as of late. This has to be due in large part to having just hosted the PGA Championship at Bellrieve. (I live across the street from there. It was pretty cool.) Junior golf has been really growing as of late as well. THis has has a huge impact of overall golf culture for an area. I really hope that this trend continues. We are also within driving distance of many great golf courses and weekend destination spots such as The Lake of the Ozarks, Rend Lake, Table Rock Lake, etc.

The only drawback would be our weather. It is so tempermental. Summers are extremely hot and it can be tough to get early tee times. 

What do you do for a living? I am a middle school science teacher

How’d you pick your user name?  Just went with what I was born with. I may change it later when I am feeling a bit more creative.

Here is a video of my 7 yo putting in my disaster of a basement. (We are currently going through a remodel forgive the nightmare.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__5XX6emgJwWnNlV0pNdkFJUFFyQ0N1U0lkUk44czRyS1lN/view?usp=sharing

IMG_20190506_164056.jpg

FB_IMG_1557253072154.jpg

Edited by Tom Hale
  • Like 1

1. I have been playing golf since I was about 5 or 6 years old. My dad bought me my first set and I spent a lot of time at the range before I was allowed on the course. Once I get going in the season I shoot on average 80-85. I start slow and by mid summer I’m back to my usual score. 

2.  I love getting to spend time with friends and family on the course. Golf allows a lot of time to talk to the people I love and let’s be honest exchange some words with the guy upstairs. The golf course is also a beautiful place to be. It allows me to spend some time outside, get some sun, and see the beautiful nature around me. I just wish I could afford to play more often. I spend a lot of time at the practice green and range though. 

3. I love that MGS helps the people. The companies all want us to believe their marketing and MGS puts it to the test. I also hope to become a tester and help others out the way MGS has helped me. 

4. I’m originally from Wichita, KS and my home course was Tex Consolver. I moved recently to Topeka and have not found a home course yet, still looking and open to suggestions. 

5. The best things about golf here in Kansas is there are a lot of options for playing. There are plenty of courses of varying length, difficulty, cost, you name it. The worst thing about golf in Kansas is the wind. The wind and I have a love hate relationship. When it’s behind me I love it. Any other direction and we have a problem. 

6. I am a child therapist at a local CMHC.

7. To be honest I couldn’t think of anything super creative at the time. Can’t go wrong with a classic though. 

38A22C08-4FC9-4ACB-8F36-C2FE82B2D901.jpeg

On 2/11/2019 at 4:30 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: North Central Region

North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri

1. How long have you been playing golf? I have been playing golf since i was about 12 or 13 with my friends dad's clubs or whatever i could find back then.  First set was when i got married an bought some Wilson 1200's. What’s your handicap or normal score? Don't have a verified handicap.  I would say i am a 10-15.  Shoot upper 70's on my home course....anywhere else, like on a golf trip i am in the 80's.  

2. What do you love about golf?  The challenge to get better, which is harder as i get older.  Trying to improve the things that make a difference at 52.  Short game putting.  I know my drives aren't going to get longer!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Love the reviews of equipment.  I am the guy who buys the stuff 2 or 3 years after it comes out.  Do you already know any other Spies? No. 

4. Where are you from? Mason City, Iowa.  What is your home course?  Highland Park

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Weather and Weather, so unpredictable, winter lasts too long.  

6. What do you do for a living?  Work at a TV station, 29 years and counting.  

7. How’d you pick your user name?  Huge Minnesota Twins fan.  

• Like 2

ROCK!!!
Bulldog we need to play again sometime this year!

Hi, my name is Ronny357 and I am located in Omaha, NE.  

• Home Course is public courses but have access to most of the private clubs
  • Handicap - 8
  • Worst thing about golf in my region is the weather
  • Joined Golfspy due to looking for new clubs and interested in the comparisons they doing.
  • I am the Dir. of Bus. Dev. / Recruiter for Hybrid RIA with a National footprint.

I am looking forward to replacing my Driver, Fairway woods and wedges in the next few weeks.

Ronny357

Hey MSG world, glad I finally joined so I can hop in on some topics. Love the work they do and have been a follower for years.

Played 7-8 years on various Tours after college golf. I work in the golf industry, I own a small sports Management company, based on mostly golf, charities, hospitality and events. Our company is agnostic, we have contracts with all of the major brands but we supply what our consumer wants. I love that I can come to MSG for unbiased results as I try to help all of our clients and USE true raw data. I am obviously of the opinion that everyone should get fit, but they're results don't lie on what performs the best overall. 

Looking to talk some golf with new friends and some old ones. 

Best,

RG 

• Like 1

Hey guys, Blake here from Kansas City. 

Grew up in a rural area that didn’t have a course so just played occasionally growing up. Started playing regularly in college and now try to play as much as i can. Currently a 12-13 handicap. Pretty inconsistent, shot a personal best 80(!) a couple weeks ago but wouldn’t be surprised shooting a 95 tomorrow. 

Love that golf is both a physical and mental challenge. Also so many different aspects to the game, amazing feeling when everything is clicking from your driver to putter. Social aspect is also a huge plus, love getting together with friends and playing.

Found MyGolfSpy last year when i was researching new irons. Really like the unbiased and objective approach the site takes to reviewing equipment. Don’t know any spies but looking forward to gaining insight from them! 

Grew up in mid-Missouri but would consider Kansas City the place I really got into golf. Consider Stone Canyon to be my home course  

Weather in Missouri can be unpredictable and unkind to golfers. Potentially long winters and very hot/humid summers. However there seems to be a lot of quality courses at affordable rates. 

Pharmacist 

1. I have Been playing golf for 6 years now. My handicap is a 5.2 now. 

2. The thing about golf that I love is that there are so many different ways to play and they all have on objective to get it in the hole. 

3. What brings me to golf spy is the unbiased reviews and customers testing them.

4. I am from Kansas City and I play many courses in my area. 

5. Worst is the winter and cold beat the refreshing fall days

1. How long have you been playing, handicap? - 3 years of golfing bliss, 14 handicap. 

2. What do you love about golf? - A purely hit golf ball is intoxicating. I like thinking and obsessing, tinkering, reading, learning... and golf is really hard - so there's always something to improve. And if I am being honest... gear. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? - I figured if I am going to waste my time looking at the same dumb instagram posts over and over, I might was well have my face in my phone looking at stuff I like. Golf stuff is pretty high on that list. I want to meet new people, have discussions, and learn more about the game/gear. I attempt to make putters (CNC aluminum) and have a Skytrak simulator in the basement - so I figured I'd have something interesting to add to the pile.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? - St. Louis, MO. Home course, if I had one, is Forrest Park. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - Worst: weather... and 6 hour Sunday golf rounds. Best: loads of decent public courses, and it's cheap enough to live here I can afford to blow my money on other golf related things.  

6. What do you do for a living? - In short, I direct and produce TV commercials. In long, I own a commercial production company. I write, produce, direct, edit, etc... advertising content. The company is called The Shop Films. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? - The 3 iron is a powerful and unwieldy beast; meant to be respected, loved and revered. I only want to make it proud. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, threeiron said:
  1. How long have you been playing, handicap? - 3 years of golfing bliss, 14 handicap. 

2. What do you love about golf? - A purely hit golf ball is intoxicating. I like thinking and obsessing, tinkering, reading, learning... and golf is really hard - so there's always something to improve. And if I am being honest... gear. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? - I figured if I am going to waste my time looking at the same dumb instagram posts over and over, I might was well have my face in my phone looking at stuff I like. Golf stuff is pretty high on that list. I want to meet new people, have discussions, and learn more about the game/gear. I attempt to make putters (CNC aluminum) and have a Skytrak simulator in the basement - so I figured I'd have something interesting to add to the pile.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? - St. Louis, MO. Home course, if I had one, is Forrest Park. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - Worst: weather... and 6 hour Sunday golf rounds. Best: loads of decent public courses, and it's cheap enough to live here I can afford to blow my money on other golf related things.  

6. What do you do for a living? - In short, I direct and produce TV commercials. In long, I own a commercial production company. I write, produce, direct, edit, etc... advertising content. The company is called The Shop Films. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? - The 3 iron is a powerful and unwieldy beast; meant to be respected, loved and revered. I only want to make it proud. 

Greetings from Idaho! Glad you found us and you won't be disappointed-Jump right in  we'll see you out there on the forums-Cheers!

• Like 1

Hey everyone!  I've read MGS for some time but just recently joined the forums 🍻

Miguel%2BAngel%2BJimenez.gif&f=1

Ok, ready...

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - Been playing since I was 6 years old with about a 6 year hiatus during / after college.  8HCI and dropping at the moment.

2. What do you love about golf? - Just about everything, but especially birdies.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? - I was looking for another place to scratch my golf itch when I couldn't get to the course 😄 I check the blog once in a while but never ventured to the forums. I don't think I know any other spies 🤔

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? - From Kansas City, typically play my golf at Falcon Valley GC in Lenexa, KS.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - There are some great clubs and courses in the KC area that are fairly reasonable cost.  Worst is easy...winter.

6. What do you do for a living? - Real Estate

7. How’d you pick your user name? - Been a handle of mine for some time now 🙂

Edited by 2PuttThom