GolfSpy MPR

North Central: ND, SD, NE, IA, CO, KS, MO

Our Sponsors

On 5/15/2020 at 8:04 AM, Jeremy Owen said:

Good morning! I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself to the community. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf for as long as I can remember, 43'ish years would be my guess. I just established my official handicap this year for the first time since college and I'm now an 11. I want to get that down to single digits this season! 

2. What do you love about golf? The challenge. I love the feel of a crisp golf shot and seeing the penetrating flight of the ball. It's art to me. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I have been following reviews for over a year now and I love the content and the No Putts Given segments. I have a few golfing buddies that know about MyGolfSpy, but I think I'm the first on the forums.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from SE Iowa, and live in Grimes, IA, just outside Des Moines. My home course is Woodward Golf Club in Woodward, IA.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? That's easy, both best and worst is the weather! We get perfect days in March, and snow the next day, a few days later, you're playing golf again...

6. What do you do for a living? I am a sales engineer for a small 3D printing company. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? I haven't put much thought into it yet, that will be next!

Looking forward to more discussions!

Jeremy

How is Jester Park these days? Worked there summer of '87. You are not far so I assume you play there in addition to Woodward.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ Aldila  DVS

:titelist-small: 915F Diamana

:titelist-small: 915H3 Diamana

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:titelist-small: Cameron Studio Design #5

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Hey folks, just found the forum after listening the the MGS No Putts Given Podcast. About a 14 handicap because my short game sucks. I’m from Kansas and usually play Reflection Ridge or Rolling Hills in Wichita. Just scored a new set of Srixon Z585/785 Irons and can’t wait to break 80!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - I took up golf in my mid thirties.  Decided I had too many work/business opportunities I needed to take advantage of/or miss out on.  So I convinced my wife I needed to learn how to play, and learn right, so after a summer trying to figure out why I hit this giant banana ball, I signed up for a four day golf school to learn how to really play.  Just the ball flight mechanics was a big help - discovered golf is a game of opposites...  My handicap is 10.1.  I’ve gotten down to single digits, but it’s been tough to stay there.  I can’t seem to get lower than a 9, and don’t float much higher than an 11.  My biggest challenge is distance - getting older (53) has sapped my driver distance.

2. What do you love about golf? - My home game I play alone at dawn.  The grounds crew and I know each other well....  it’s my  time.  Clear my head.  #EnjoyTheWalk  Me, the birds, sunrise, the quiet....  oh, I love playing with friends, the competition, the camaraderie, etc, but my favorite times are at dawn.  I also love that it’s competition against myself.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? - i came across the articles and reviews a couple years ago. I liked that it wasn’t advertiser driven.  I got into the forums really as a lurker.  But I’m chasing things down the rabbit hole. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? - Live in Sioux City IA where is Whispering Creek is my home track.  I also work in DesMoines (yes, that’s three hours away) so play a lot there.  I also am a member of the Prairie Club in Valentine NE (four hours away) and get out there once a month for a weekend of non-stop play.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - The fall brings short days... and in the spring it takes too long for the sun to climb over the horizon.  I want to tee off no later than 7, and sometimes that’s just too early.  I can live with the winter break - absence makes the heart grow fonder.  Come the first of November I’m ready to focus on other things, but come April I definitely have the itch...

6. What do you do for a living? I work in government affairs, and public relations - hence I live in Sioux City and work in DesMoines. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? I used to organize an annual trip of 12-20 folks to take an early spring trip down to the RTJ Trail in AL when it was still to early to play in Iowa.  First year our hotel was across the parking lot from a Waffle House and that became our rally point every morning.  Every year after I had to call around to find hotels next to Waffle Houses....  That’s my handle for all golf related things from here to fantasy golf leagues

• Like 1

Tweeting from the rough at @c_rants

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero
3W, 7W Titelist TS2
4H; 5I-U Cobra Speedback One Length
56, 60 Cobra One Length
ER7  or Scotty Futura X 

OnCore Elixr

hey there, I’m from Sioux City, (my brother lives in Grimes) and play a lot in DesMoines.  Played Beaver Creek many times over the years but have never been to Woodward.  Just gotta ask, what causes a guy to drive past Beaver to get to Woodward? That good a track, or just where friends play?  I’m always looking to try someplace new...

3W, 7W Titelist TS2
56, 60 Cobra One Length
ER7  or Scotty Futura X 

OnCore Elixr

On 5/15/2020 at 9:04 AM, Jeremy Owen said:

Good morning! I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself to the community. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf for as long as I can remember, 43'ish years would be my guess. I just established my official handicap this year for the first time since college and I'm now an 11. I want to get that down to single digits this season! 

2. What do you love about golf? The challenge. I love the feel of a crisp golf shot and seeing the penetrating flight of the ball. It's art to me. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I have been following reviews for over a year now and I love the content and the No Putts Given segments. I have a few golfing buddies that know about MyGolfSpy, but I think I'm the first on the forums.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from SE Iowa, and live in Grimes, IA, just outside Des Moines. My home course is Woodward Golf Club in Woodward, IA.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? That's easy, both best and worst is the weather! We get perfect days in March, and snow the next day, a few days later, you're playing golf again...

6. What do you do for a living? I am a sales engineer for a small 3D printing company. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? I haven't put much thought into it yet, that will be next!

Looking forward to more discussions!

Jeremy

hey there, I’m from Sioux City, (my brother lives in Grimes) and play a lot in DesMoines.  Played Beaver Creek many times over the years but have never been to Woodward.  Just gotta ask, what causes a guy to drive past Beaver to get to Woodward? That good a track, or just where friends play?  I’m always looking to try someplace new...

3W, 7W Titelist TS2
56, 60 Cobra One Length
ER7  or Scotty Futura X 

OnCore Elixr

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but I hope I can find some friends with that I can have a good time playing golf :)

On 5/29/2020 at 2:45 PM, Titleist87 said:

How is Jester Park these days? Worked there summer of '87. You are not far so I assume you play there in addition to Woodward.

I haven't played Jester in a few years. It gets so busy out there. The course was sold to a management company and they pumped a bunch of money into the course. I've hear number 11 has been completely reworked and does not need to be a layup par 5 any longer. I usually get to play Beaver Creek about one or twice a year. The south course had a serious issue with some insects and killed most of the pines, but that  is still my favorite of the 3 nines out there.

• Like 1

My Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue

3 Wood: Mizuno ST200

Irons: Mizuon MP 20 6-PW, MP 20 HMB 3-5

Wedges: T20 50deg, 55deg, 58deg Blue

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour