North Central: ND, SD, NE, IA, CO, KS, MO

Our Sponsors

Hi everyone! I have been on the forum for a little while just not very active. I think that getting on this might help improve my game, if only a little. Below is a little about me.

I have been playing golf since I was 17 so 24 years, wow 24 years! I have never been an avid golfer. I would play anywhere from 0-6 rounds a year. The most I played was over the summer when I was in college. I worked at a course and would play 3-4 days a week. I had my scoring down to low 80's. Then graduated and moved to Colorado and went back to 0-6 rounds a year. so currently my scores are in the low 90's and I am pushing to break 90. I missed it by one stroke a coupe weeks ago. Long and short I am somone who wants to play more, but life and budget get in the way. If you are in Northern Colorado and need someone to fill a foursome I will do my best to be that person. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's up MGS - this is James from Carbon - Wanted to join up and contribute. Not really sure if I will be accepted here because I am one of the three founders of Carbon Putters - But, thought I would

Hey folks,  I started playing in early middle school. My grandma would pick up a couple of my buddies and drop us off at the course while she played bridge over the summer.  That makes about 24 y

Hey fellas, Started playing at age 6. Played competitive through high school. Been 27 years now.  I love having pursued a career in the industry. I don’t work, I just hang out on a golf cour

Posted Images

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I started playing around 10 years old.  I'm usually in the 90 to mid-90's range.

2. What do you love about golf?  I enjoy the competition and challenge along with uniqueness and beauty each course has to offer.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I typically only get out a couple times of year so typically don't take myself too seriously while playing.  I've been wanting to get more serious, terrible timing now that I have 3 small children but here we are.  I'm looking to upgrade my equipment so I've been doing a lot of research on clubs.  Came across some reviews on the site and instagram.  Looking to keep the research going and keep my golf knowledge growing.  I do not know any spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  St. Louis.  Creve Coeur Golf Course is where I've played most.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  I think we have a lot of courses to choose from based on skill level and/or price range which is great.  I would say weather is the worst thing with very hot and humid summers and cold winters.

6. What do you do for a living?  I design air conditioning and heating systems for commercial buildings - schools, hospitals, office buildings, etc.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My initials.  Yes, very creative.

Hello, friends! I`ve just joined to community nice to meet you all 🙂 

So here we go

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Not too long.  Everyone tell there they`he started about 8-10 years ago, somebody has been playingplaying since school/college (oh sweet chilhood times with dad). But I`ve started  about 2 years ago and I can`t stop. Not much. My current handicap is about 2-4.

2. What do you love about golf?  I love the feeling of control. When many points depends on my skills, patience, the balance and harmony inside of me. However, objectivetly I understand I can`t control everything. That`s why the challenge and competition also attracts me and makes my heart beating faster.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? When i`ve started the first time I played with my colleagues every friday. During the time i`ve been consistently explored this new field for me. Recently I`ve seen adverticement offer and go to this site. So I found content is really good despite my sceptic feelings about marketing offers. don't know other Spies yet.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I was born in German, Muenchen. 5 years ago we`ve moved with my wife to Philadelphia. Now we currently live in Kansas City. Winterstone Golf Course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Weather features. Summer is too hot for playing. And the game sometimes is hard especially for me. Anyway I adore the game too much to stop play.

6. What do you do for a living?  Finance consultant

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My username is the same as my name and year of birth.

Edited by David1954

Just attach it here. Enjoy the wonderfull landscape of my motherlad - Bavaria🙂

Yours sincerely,

David

61f442bc8e8216e711f2c055e3b5d69f.jpg

On 12/21/2019 at 7:08 PM, Locharion said:

Hello forum!  My name is Paul.  

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  I started hacking away when I was in my early teens (driving range and par 3s) but I didn't start playing with any regularity until I was in my late 20s. According to an app, my handicap is 15.  Depending on the layout and distance of a course, I shoot in the upper 80s on a good day but other days it is in the low 90s.

2. What do you love about golf?  My dad, who is 78, is my golf buddy.  It gives us time to talk without distractions and disruptions.  When I am playing just by myself, I love the solitude.  The phone is off, the cigar is lit, and I can just be present without demands or a to-do list.  Finally, no matter how bad the round, when you hit a shot well, and you see the results, that feeling is addictive.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I do not know any other spies, but I appreciate that the reviews on the site provide another source of information that I can trust is not influenced by advertisers. Also, I appreciate the testing methodology that is stated so I know what aligns best with my game.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I am born and bred in St Louis. I don't have one specific home course, but the one that I play the most is Old Columbia Golf Club which is just across the river in Illinois.  It is an open and forgiving course.  Generally, the players who play there are always courteous and the pace of play is consistent. Rarely has the course been in bad shape, and in warmer winters, you can play into December.  

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing about golf is my region is that there are options throughout the metro area to play.  Rarely do you have to drive more than 10 miles to have an option to play 18 holes.  The worst thing about golf in the region is that most courses with character, uniqueness, or wonderfully scenery is either private or priced out of the average golfer's budget.  Those courses that are in between the general 18 hole layout or the upper echelon require some driving to get to it, and the golfers that play those courses typically are not hospitable nor seem to care about pace of play.

6. What do you do for a living?  I am a proud to say I am a teacher.  I also coach high school football.

7. How’d you pick your user name?   Back in my college days, I was part of an RPG (that's role playing game) group, and Locharion was a memorable character in one of our storylines who just happened to be a dragon.  I liked the name, and I decided to keep it.

So great to spend free time playing golf with Dad. Your Dad must be enjoy active sports life and time with you. Pleasually to see continuity of generations. Take care!

Yours sincerely,

David

On 10/15/2020 at 1:34 PM, HomeTownKid said:

Hi everyone! I have been on the forum for a little while just not very active. I think that getting on this might help improve my game, if only a little. Below is a little about me.

I have been playing golf since I was 17 so 24 years, wow 24 years! I have never been an avid golfer. I would play anywhere from 0-6 rounds a year. The most I played was over the summer when I was in college. I worked at a course and would play 3-4 days a week. I had my scoring down to low 80's. Then graduated and moved to Colorado and went back to 0-6 rounds a year. so currently my scores are in the low 90's and I am pushing to break 90. I missed it by one stroke a coupe weeks ago. Long and short I am somone who wants to play more, but life and budget get in the way. If you are in Northern Colorado and need someone to fill a foursome I will do my best to be that person. 

I am in the Springs so not exactly Northern Colorado but definitely looking to travel next season and explore some of the courses. I am in the same boat as you after moving to CO from Phoenix last year. Haven't teed it up enough to know how bad I am playing anymore but recommiting to my game and plan do some work over the winter.

• Like 2

First Post.  Of Any Kind. Ever.  I've never done forums.  Hopefully I'm not out of place very much.

Answers to the welcome page are below.  I have a few other thoughts and introductions to throw out.

I LOVE GOLF.  I'll play if the course is open.  25 and rain?  Yep.  Windy and snowing?  They make Yellow balls in a ProV1 now.  I'm game. 

I tell people all the time, there are good golfers, and good players.  A good golfer is someone who loves the game, respects the game, and plays the game with all that entails.  A good player is someone who shoots a low score.  Not all good players are good golfers.   Be a good golfer.

I believe golf is more than a course, WITB, or an activity.  It is comprised of those things.  It is so much more.  You can play golf.  Or one can BE a Golfer.  I love everything about the game.  It is one of very places/times where I can be free of negativity and find some peace.  Even after dunking one in a lake and another OB....

I wanted to add answers to other questions I've been asked about me as a golfer:  Best round. 

How can I pick one?

• Any round with my family.  Kids and my Dad.
  • Lowest round ever - 69
  • Lowest to par - 70 @ Coral Canyon, ST George UT / 70 @ South Suburban, CO
  • Best Played round - 76 @ Pebble Beach, just prior to 2010 US Open.  Played from longest tees they had out. (not tour tees, but long for me).
  • Best Played round #2 - Add a tie to the above with rounds of 74 @Erin Hills, 4 weeks after US Open, 78 @ Whistling Straits... in the wind, 76 @TPC Sawgrass, 3 weeks after the Players 2019.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Been playing since is was 4.  Which means more than 30 years.... I'm old.  Current index is 2.3.  Lowest ever.  Normally run in the mid 70's.  77 or up is bad day. 

What do you love about golf? 

Everything.  A better question would be what don't I like about golf?  I feel like some of the art and skill has been taken out of the game with to much tech and analytics.  I'm a little hypocritical, because I have some pretty new and user friendly equipment, but I still struggle with feeling like I'm cheating. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Not sure exactly.  I read a lot on the site.  I love the unbiased stuff the site does.  Even though I feel a bit like some of the art that is lost, MGS is perpetuating, I feel they genuinely care about the game.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Colorado Native!  Colorado Mountain Native!  Which means I was in ski boots before I could walk.  I grew up in the mountains.  My current home courses are many of the ones in the Denver Metro area, south.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best:  The scenery.  The weather.  Worst:  Some courses close for 4 months over the winter.  Hitting a thin shot when it's 30 deg outside..... 

What do you do for a living?

Not Golf, unfortunately.

How’d you pick your user name?

Because "Best Golfer of All Time" was taken.....  No reason really.

And finally, because it seems all the rage.....  What's in my Bag!  (For today at least... the putter is on a carousel)

• Driver - Taylormade M3 440
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Adams Pro Mini 20
  • 4H - Adams Pro Mini 23
  • 5-P - Callaway Apex Pro 2019 w/KBS C-Taper 120S
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 5
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)

That is all.... for now.  Pictures are 17@ Sawgrass, Piper@Spanish Bay, 11@Agusta

2019-04-10_TPCSawgrass_NIKON_D750-TAMRON_SP_24-70mm_F-2.8_Di_VC_USD_G2_A032N_0042-Pano.jpg

CBF_Photography-022.jpg

CBF_Photography-060.jpg

• Like 2

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Adams Pro Mini 20
  • 4H - Adams Pro Mini 23
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)
17 hours ago, Stopher said:

First Post.  Of Any Kind. Ever.  I've never done forums.  Hopefully I'm not out of place very much.

Answers to the welcome page are below.  I have a few other thoughts and introductions to throw out.

I LOVE GOLF.  I'll play if the course is open.  25 and rain?  Yep.  Windy and snowing?  They make Yellow balls in a ProV1 now.  I'm game. 

I tell people all the time, there are good golfers, and good players.  A good golfer is someone who loves the game, respects the game, and plays the game with all that entails.  A good player is someone who shoots a low score.  Not all good players are good golfers.   Be a good golfer.

I believe golf is more than a course, WITB, or an activity.  It is comprised of those things.  It is so much more.  You can play golf.  Or one can BE a Golfer.  I love everything about the game.  It is one of very places/times where I can be free of negativity and find some peace.  Even after dunking one in a lake and another OB....

I wanted to add answers to other questions I've been asked about me as a golfer:  Best round. 

How can I pick one?

• Any round with my family.  Kids and my Dad.
  • Lowest round ever - 69
  • Lowest to par - 70 @ Coral Canyon, ST George UT / 70 @ South Suburban, CO
  • Best Played round - 76 @ Pebble Beach, just prior to 2010 US Open.  Played from longest tees they had out. (not tour tees, but long for me).
  • Best Played round #2 - Add a tie to the above with rounds of 74 @Erin Hills, 4 weeks after US Open, 78 @ Whistling Straits... in the wind, 76 @TPC Sawgrass, 3 weeks after the Players 2019.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Been playing since is was 4.  Which means more than 30 years.... I'm old.  Current index is 2.3.  Lowest ever.  Normally run in the mid 70's.  77 or up is bad day. 

What do you love about golf? 

Everything.  A better question would be what don't I like about golf?  I feel like some of the art and skill has been taken out of the game with to much tech and analytics.  I'm a little hypocritical, because I have some pretty new and user friendly equipment, but I still struggle with feeling like I'm cheating. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Not sure exactly.  I read a lot on the site.  I love the unbiased stuff the site does.  Even though I feel a bit like some of the art that is lost, MGS is perpetuating, I feel they genuinely care about the game.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Colorado Native!  Colorado Mountain Native!  Which means I was in ski boots before I could walk.  I grew up in the mountains.  My current home courses are many of the ones in the Denver Metro area, south.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best:  The scenery.  The weather.  Worst:  Some courses close for 4 months over the winter.  Hitting a thin shot when it's 30 deg outside..... 

What do you do for a living?

Not Golf, unfortunately.

How’d you pick your user name?

Because "Best Golfer of All Time" was taken.....  No reason really.

And finally, because it seems all the rage.....  What's in my Bag!  (For today at least... the putter is on a carousel)

• 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Adams Pro Mini 20
  • 4H - Adams Pro Mini 23

That is all.... for now.  Pictures are 17@ Sawgrass, Piper@Spanish Bay, 11@Agusta

2019-04-10_TPCSawgrass_NIKON_D750-TAMRON_SP_24-70mm_F-2.8_Di_VC_USD_G2_A032N_0042-Pano.jpg

CBF_Photography-022.jpg

CBF_Photography-060.jpg

Inspiring story! Seems you are eager to golf )

Yours sincerely,

David

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2020 at 4:19 PM, tyler621 said:

I am in the Springs so not exactly Northern Colorado but definitely looking to travel next season and explore some of the courses. I am in the same boat as you after moving to CO from Phoenix last year. Haven't teed it up enough to know how bad I am playing anymore but recommiting to my game and plan do some work over the winter.

Tyler, we have some great courses up her in No Co. A lot of really good muni course. I typically play Mariana Butte in Loveland or Highland Meadows in Windsor. TPC Colorado is a beautiful course, but I could make a car payment for what a round of 18 costs out there. If you make it up this way let me know maybe we meet up for 18.

• Like 1
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Been playing seriously about 12-13 years.  Handicap is about 18.

2. What do you love about golf? I like being outside and I like the mental aspect of a physical sport.   You learn a lot about forgetting mistakes and moving on.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I love the information they provide and the testing.  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Manhattan, KS.  Don't really have a home course, but I play Colert Hills, Wildcat Creek and Rolling Meadows.  

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best: Lots of great courses and not too expensive.  Doesn't take long to drive to play.  Worst:  The rough is pretty penal here in terms of balls flat out disappearing and the winters are rough.  

6. What do you do for a living? Human Resources.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Just one I use.  No special meaning.  

• Like 1

Manhattan, KS 

Ping G30 Driver 9.5 degrees

Taylor Made RBZ Black 3 wood

Nike Vapor 3 Hybrid

Nike VRS-x Irons

Taylor Made ATV 58 and 56 wedges

Odyssey White Hot #9 Putter

No official handicap but about 18.  

On 11/6/2020 at 9:16 AM, HomeTownKid said:

Tyler, we have some great courses up her in No Co. A lot of really good muni course. I typically play Mariana Butte in Loveland or Highland Meadows in Windsor. TPC Colorado is a beautiful course, but I could make a car payment for what a round of 18 costs out there. If you make it up this way let me know maybe we meet up for 18.

Sounds good - I would love to make that trip. Might have to do a little research and find some breweries up there too. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?100% new to the game of golf. Grew up going to the driving range few times a year but thats it. Im 29 now and decided to finally hang up the football cleats for the clubs. Have been going to the range or playing 18 twice a week for a few months now. Handicap is TBD.

2. What do you love about golf?                       I love the mental aspect of the game. Have to forget about the bad shots or it will get worse in a hurry. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?             No matter the interest Ive always taken in as much information as possible through sites and forums like MGS. Cant get enough of the write ups and personal reviews. Dont know any other spies yet but look forward to meeting you guys.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?                                                      Im currently in Denver and play either Kings Deer in Monument or Meadow Hills in Aurora. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?                           Ive played "effort" sports all my life in the sense that the harder you try the better you become. Definitely not the case with golf, so trying to rewire my brain to keep it smooth and effortless.

6. What do you do for a living?.                      I give flight Instruction out of the Denver and surrounding areas. Tough time for aviation right now so plenty of time to work on my swing. 

7. How’d you pick your user name?               Its a nickname I picked up in the military and it stuck. 

Look forward to the playful banter and knowledge ill pick up from you guys.

• Like 3

Intellectually maddening, soulfully satisfying 

@tyler621 - I played Pine Creek on Wednesday. Wasn’t an issue with crowds beyond the no clubhouse access rule.  COVID has only slowed down the amount of golf I play due to the number of people playing.

@RaginCajun - seems like it would be a long trip to drive down to Monument in order to play Kings Deer?  I heard they’ve moved to a no cart rule?  Walking only?  That’s a long walk!

• Like 1

@toehold57 My pops is a member at Kings Deer which is why im down there. Last time was about 3 weeks ago and they were still allowing carts. They probably did move to walkong only, so its either the front or back 9 for me.ha 

@tyler621 Thanks, that would be sweet and it gives me time to fix some things in my swing.ha I plan on playing patty jewett, how is the course?

• Like 1

Intellectually maddening, soulfully satisfying 

@toehold57 Good to hear - I have hit balls on the range at Pine Creek but have never played it. In fact, I have yet to tee it up in Colorado. Same with Kings Deer - only hit some balls on the range. I think Kings Deer normally closes for the winter but I think Pine Creek stays open

@RaginCajun See my comments above - I haven't played PJ but it is pretty open from what I've seen. I was supposed to play in a league there this summer but COVID stopped that from happening. From my understanding the course is pretty open but don't expect to play real quick. 

@tyler621 - your comments are spot on.  PJ is pretty open but slow.  KD normally closes over the winter as they sit over 7000 ft.

There’s Antler Creek out in Falcon.  Loooong course that is for the most part, very wide open.

During the summer there’s Shining Mountain in Woodland Park.  A mountain course that can be tight at times.  I think it sits at 8200ft.  A fun change of pace.

My favorite is Pine Creek for 18 and Cherokee Ridge for a fun 9.  Assuming you can get on 😉

• Like 1