Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
GolfSpy MPR

South Central: NM, OK, AR, TX, LA, MS

MGS New Member Introduction: South Central Region

New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. How long have you been playing golf? Started in my late 20s when I moved to Cali,
    What’s your handicap or normal score? 9.0

2. What do you love about golf? The challenge of you and the course, competition.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Seen what out there, getting feed back from other golf enthusiast have to say and recommend, Do you already know any other Spies? NO

4. Where are you from? Currently living in Dallas, TX, What is your home course? Firewheel Golf Course

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Weather

6. What do you do for a living? IT 

7. How’d you pick your user name? Had it since HS

• Like 3

I’ve been on MGS for years, but I’ll introduce myself again here.

I’ve been playing since I was 8 or 9. My Dad was a HS golf coach, so I started when he took me to practices.

I’m a 6 GHIN, currently.

What I love about golf is being outside, and the challenge each course presents.

I came to MGS to see “Spy pics” of gear. I stayed for the folks in the forums!

I knew JLukes from our trip to Callaway back in 12/2013. It was a trip sponsored by another website.

I grew-up in Michigan, but have lived in Louisiana since 1995.

My home course would technically be Chennault Park GC.

I like being able to play most of the year, but I’m not a fan of all of the heat in the summer, rain in winter, and mosquitoes!!!

I’m a sales rep for a medical device company.

I use the same name on another website, so just use it here too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Greetings everyone. I'm from West Texas and known around the forum as Plaid. My full forum ID is Plaidjacket. Some people say I resemble Sam. LOL Not the swing mind you. I chose my name because I like the tournaments of old when champions would get fitted (yes we like fitting around here) into a Plaid Jacket while accepting the trophy and holding up their GIANT $35,000 check for everyone to see. Of course I think Colonial and Harbor Town still haul out the plaid jacket. I've been playing golf since about age 10 when my Dad bought the family some clubs from Sears. I currently carry a 5 Hcp. but under my avatar/photo you'll see 64. That's my true hcp. as I turned 64 just recently. I'm evolved in the Oil & Gas business and banking to some extent. This is a great golf forum if you enjoy learning new stuff, making virtual friends (and sometimes even meeting a few), and yapping about all things golf.

• Like 1

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

9  years . Currently at 7 handicap. 77-83

What do you love about golf?

The wisdom the game offers. The feel of the perfect shot. the culmination of practice and it comes to fruition the course. Should I continue! lol

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I used to visit MyGolfSpy just to read the articles and watch videos, however, my love for the game brings me to the forum to talk with other avid golfers who share the same love I do.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Dallas area, Mansfield National

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Worst: Dormant grass in the fall and winter. Best: Number of courses in the region

What do you do for a living?

Teacher/Coach & Realtor 

How’d you pick your user name?

Since my first love is football, and I've played football my entire life, the name combines my two loves

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Began playing in the mid 60's in the 7th grade, introduced to the game by my dad. At my best, I shot low to mid 80's. After a series of injuries, I'm working to get back there...or better!

2. What do you love about golf? The honor of the game, being active outdoors, honing a skill, friendships made.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? This is the only spy I know of.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? From Edmond/Oklahoma City, OK, playing The Greens CC.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best things: lots of great golf courses and golfers from this area. We do get a PGA or Champions Tour event from time to time.  Worst thing aside from the mid-summer heat is the number of golf courses closing, which I know is occurring nationwide. Two of my local favorites have closed in the past two years.

6. What do you do for a living? Digital audio production/creation.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's a family thing.

Edited by rkempone

Hi all! I have never formally post in this intro threads so here it goes:

1. How long have you been playing golf? My dad is a big influence on my life for better or worse. He took me out maybe around ages 10-12 a hand full of times. I have natural talent and coordination for sports and it showed with golf. He wanted me to play in high school but I chose otherwise. My other sport of choice was basketball and when my ACL and meniscus gave out for good in the spring of 2016 I started playing golf every weekend starting around the first weekend in July 2017. Haven't stopped since.

2.  What’s your handicap or normal score? 24 is my index and I shoot between 90-100 nowadays.

3. What do you love about golf? The challenge. I think I can become a scratch player but who doesn't. Its been 20 months since I started and its just now that I think I'm starting to understand how to play the game. I'm breaking 90 this summer. I also like being outside and walking for a few hours. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like you are in a city while playing. I love the new viewing perspectives golf courses give you of a place I've lived in for awhile now.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? I googled "best driver" and the rest is history. Being a chemical data analyst, I appreciate real data. The quest for knowing the truth about golf clubs was why I googled what I did. I had no idea what MGS was all about. Then after reading the Most wanted Hybrid testing of 2017, I bought the Cobra F7 3-4. And guess what? I bought off the rack, and its my favorite club and the best one i hit. SOLD! Reading Tony and listening to Adam is what keeps me coming back.

5. Do you already know any other Spies? No but that should change. DM me and lets play! Instagram is @silverhillbean Hit me up.

6. Where are you from? live in Albuquerque, New Mexico

7. What is your home course? I have a city PM pass so any muni here really, but I play the one closest to my place which is Los Altos.

8. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I'm too new at it to say but the Sunday starter at Arroyo del Oso pisses me off. He jams the box and rounds can be over five hours on Sundays. This is the toughest and best city course but when this joker loads the tee box at noon I hate the place. The best has to be the weather, mostly sunny year round. Maybe like 4 weekends a year are unplayable. Oh and the rates are cheap here. With a PM pass which is $325 annually, weekend walking is $12.50 and weekday walking is $10 after 12PM. The best courses here are only $100 a round. The UNM south course is the best I think and they always have off season and in season deals. Even if you don't mind the full rate its only like $50 to play a real course. The Nike tour stopped here a few times in the 90's. Regional US open qualifying is at UNM south as well.

9. What do you do for a living? I'm a technical director at a environmental analysis lab.

10. How’d you pick your user name? My dad gave me many nicknames growing up, some I can't say in public. He called me Slap alot around the age he took me golfing. I think I reminded him of Slap Maxwell. I just goolged him for the first time just now. I should watch more and see what he's talking about.

• Like 2

I've been a member for a while , but never got around to introducing myself. I hope to be more active in the future. I recently retired from the Air Force after 21 years of service to this great nation. I'm originally from Arkansas, but currently reside in ABQ, NM and work as a Mechanical Estimator. I started playing golf in 2001 while stationed in Japan, but I have not progressed as quickly as I would like to have. My current handicap is a 19, but my lowest is a 13. My lowest 18-hole score is an 82, while my lowest 9-hole score is a 36. I love that this game is always challenging, yet very enjoyable. I first heard about MyGolfSpy through a "Be Better Golf" video on Youtube, and as popular as MyGolfSpy seems to be, it seems that anyone I talk to about it has never heard of it. I typically play a few different courses, but have recently joined a club for handicap and tournament purposes only...University of New Mexico Championship Course. There is typically great golfing weather in NM, but there is a monsoon season and it is usually windy here.

• Like 2