TESTERS WANTED! ×

South Central: NM, OK, AR, TX, LA, MS

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Started playing golf around age 9, played a lot in high school and then 6-8 times per year for the next 30 years. Playing once per week the past year.

What do you love about golf?

Absolutely love being outside with nature, the challenge to improve and become better.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Came to MyGolfSpy reading product reviews. As of yet, don't know other Spies.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Midwest mostly. Originally from the St. Louis area and lived 38 years there in different stints, Iowa, Virginia, Texas in high school, San Antonio Texas the past 7 years. Don't have a home course, but play in a weekly golf association (missioncitygolf.com) that plays in and around San Antonio area.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best is play year round. The worst is the heat in July and August.

What do you do for a living?

Part owner and operator of an electroplating facility the specializes in the cosmetic plating of components for aircraft interiors. Have been in electroplating 40 years.

How’d you pick your user name?

My first name plus birth year.

Edited by joe59golfer

Driver: Epic Speed Driver - 10.5°, Mitsubishi MMT 70 Graphite, Stiff, Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grip

Fairway: MAVRIK 4-Wood - 16.5°, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 70 Graphite, 6.0, Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grip

Hybrid: MAVRIK Pro 3 Hybrid - 20°, KBS 70/80 HYB Graphite, Stiff, Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grip

Irons: Srixon Z-585 forged 4-6 iron, Z-785 7-AW Modus3 Tour105, Stiff, Golf Pride MCC grips

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe, 58° & 54° TT Dynamic Gold Spinner, Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grips

Putter: Mizuno M.Craft V, Super Stroke Pistol GT 1.0 grip

Ball: Titleist Pro VIx or Chrome Soft LX Triple track

League: Mission City Golf Association (https://www.missioncitygolf.org)

MCGA_Logo12_trnspbkgd_200X200_96dpi.jpg

Started playing golf around age 9, played a lot in high school and then 6-8 times per year for the next 30 years. Playing once per week the past year.

Absolutely love being outside with nature, the challenge to improve and become better.

Came to MyGolfSpy reading product reviews. As of yet, don't know other Spies.

Midwest mostly. Originally from the St. Louis area and lived 38 years there in different stints, Iowa, Virginia, Texas in high school, San Antonio Texas the past 7 years. Don't have a home course, but play in a weekly golf association (missioncitygolf.com) that plays in and around San Antonio area.

The best is play year round. The worst is the heat in July and August.

Part owner and operator of an electroplating facility the specializes in the cosmetic plating of components for aircraft interiors. Have been in electroplating 40 years.

My first name plus birth year.

Welcome! Played Olmos Basin last week. Enjoyed it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Hey MGS - I'm not sure how I missed this but better late than never!

1. I started a bit later in life (I was 20) but I have been playing golf for 28 years. I took to golf quickly and was a scratch in a little over a year and my current handicap is +4.8.

2. I enjoy the fact that golf is ever changing and you can always improve. I enjoy the outdoors and the comradery golf provides. The pursuit of a truly "flushed" shot and the competing primarily with yourself and the integrity and character golf produces and reveals.

3. I have been a part of a few other forums through the years and I heard about MGS through that. I was drawn to the pictures and testing of equipment. I have seen a few familiar user names but I didn't really know anyone.

4. I live in Moore, OK which is a suburb of Oklahoma City. I mostly play at Lincoln Park Golf Course which is one of the municipal courses of OKC.

5. The best thing about playing golf here is that you can pretty much play year round except the temperature extremes can be a bit brutal. The worst thing is wind - it is always blowing and blowing enough to pay attention to.

6. I'm a pastor of a church my wife and I started. It's the smallest church I've pastored but I'm enjoying it the most. I have pastored churches large and small and I'm just thankful for the privilege.

7. It's just my initials and "golfer" - I used it as a user name or password many years ago and it stuck. I don't use it for anything critical anymore but it is the username I've used for all my participation in forums both golf and watch forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

1. How long have you been playing golf? Since I was about 8. Took 5 years off amd picked it back up on January.

2. What do you love about golf?  Practicing different shots, chipping, the scenery .

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Check out a forum I have only visited. Do you already know any other Spies? NO

4. Where are you from? Currently living El Paso, TX. Previously Anna Maria Island, Fl. What is your home course?  El Paso Country Club 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Golf all year long

6. What do you do for a living Insurance 

7. How’d you pick your user name? My name starts with a B and I'm frequently golfing.

a. Iron specs (Kbs Tour C-Taper 125 S+ Standard L/L) 

b. Driver specs (Titleost 913 D2 Oban Kiyoshi Black 05 Flex 45" )

c. Dexterity (Right)

d. Where You Live (El Paso, Tx)

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score (1.8 GHIN) 

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Over 30 years. 4.2

2. What do you love about golf? Being outside and enjoying some peace and quiet

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've been reading for years and wanted to see who else was out there.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Originally from Oklahoma but have lived in Dallas for almost 10 years. Don't have a home course...yet. I play all over.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is the amount of courses. Worst things are slow play and the humidity.

6. What do you do for a living? Financial sales

7. How’d you pick your user name? Norm McDonald's favorite saying.

Edited by Yadirtydog!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf since I was around 12, I am currently at a 7.8, not playing too bad at moment

What do you love about golf? Just being outdoors, enjoying the outdoors, cold beer, some music playing, good friends....bad day playing golf is better than most any other day I can think of.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I just appreciate the no holding back honesty the guys on site carry. No sugar coating. I know no one here.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Live in Melissa, TX, suburb of Dallas. I don't technically have a home course but do play often at Westridge country club in McKinney, TX.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Doesn't matter the time of years it's always pricey. Hard to get below $50 - $60 for a round on a good course.

What do you do for a living? I work in compliance and audit for a storage warehouse company.

How’d you pick your user name? I once was having a terrible round, I mean just awful and I got to the point where I just didn't care and started noodling the ball on every shot. My playing partners gave me a hard time and called me the noodle, it stuck a bit now it's a running joke lol.

Happy to be here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is only my fourth season playing.  I'm not sure what my actual handicap is, but I'm guessing it's high.  Right now, I'm shooting in the 120s, but I'm seeing some improvements. My goal is to get below 100 by the end of next season.

The technical aspects of it and the challenge.  I am a bowler as well, and understanding the body mechanics and training my body to go through the right motions was part of the appeal to bowling.  Golf is even more of a challenge, at least for me.  The moment I think I got my swing figured out, I slice it right.  But, a few times per round I hit one of those shots that just feel and look great.  That is what keeps me coming back.

I discovered MyGolfSpy doing product research.  I tend to take a lot of time to research products prior to buying.  I think someone actually mentioned the ball testing article and I pulled it up to see if I needed to a different ball.

I'm from Central Arkansas.  Don't really have a home course.  The one I used to play the most closed down.  I've been trying out a few since.  I have a feeling Burns Park in North Little Rock will be the one I play the most.

Best things would probably be the number of affordable courses.  But those come with trade offs (i.e. No beer carts). Also, the rough, and some fairways, can be pretty rough (literally).  The ground can be pretty hard and rocky, so if you miss the fairway, you never know what kind of lie you will get.  I just try not to damage my clubs on the rocks.

During the day I'm a mild mannered curriculum developer for professional development style courses.  I also have a part time job at night as a golf associate at a sporting goods store (to support my golf habit).  Tying this back to "what brings me to MyGolfSpy", I come here to keep up to speed on new products, especially the ones I have to try to sell.  I never pass myself off as a golf pro, but I do my best to know what I'm selling and understand the basics of a good golf swing so I can provide good service.

How’d you pick your user name? It's easy for me to remember.

• 3 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Have been playing for about 7 years. But just got back to playing after a 3 yeas hiatus from having my daughter. Handicap is probably around a 20 when my game is "on"ish. 

2. What do you love about golf? Unplugging from everything. I am always chasing that "Perfect" shot. You know the one I am talking about? The swing feels good, your contact felt perfect. When the club connected with the ball, you could feel the core of the ball through the club and into your hands........  Errrrrr. Sorry, I got carried away.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Was around in the beginning with MGS. So I felt the need to reintroduce myself now that I am out playing again, or at least trying to. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Am in Austin Texas, and play Bluebonnet the most. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is the variety of courses. Worst, the courses that allow the Texas scorching sun to kill the grass and dont adjust water accordingly. 

6. What do you do for a living? I am a Facilities Manager. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? Combined my most common score with where I play most of my second shots from!

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf since I was around 12, I am currently at a 7.8, not playing too bad at moment

What do you love about golf? Just being outdoors, enjoying the outdoors, cold beer, some music playing, good friends....bad day playing golf is better than most any other day I can think of.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I just appreciate the no holding back honesty the guys on site carry. No sugar coating. I know no one here.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Live in Melissa, TX, suburb of Dallas. I don't technically have a home course but do play often at Westridge country club in McKinney, TX.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Doesn't matter the time of years it's always pricey. Hard to get below $50 - $60 for a round on a good course.

What do you do for a living? I work in compliance and audit for a storage warehouse company.

How’d you pick your user name? I once was having a terrible round, I mean just awful and I got to the point where I just didn't care and started noodling the ball on every shot. My playing partners gave me a hard time and called me the noodle, it stuck a bit now it's a running joke lol.

Happy to be here.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My father-in law lives in Celina and we play some of the McKinney area courses. We should try to get a round in sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing since I was 15 now 66. I stopped for about 10 years and started again in 2018 I was a 33 hcp now 21.3 trending 20.3. I've been shooting around 84 at the Pendaries Golf course.

2. What do you love about golf? Being outdoors and the challenge of the game.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I love the community and hope to find other spies

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I grew up outside of Philadelphia in South Jersey and currently I'm in New Mexico. I play Pendaries Village Golf course in Rociada N.M.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The views and fresh air are the best thing about playing golf here in N.M. The worse thing is the course closes at end of October and reopens in April.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm retired but I designed built and tested parachutes for a living.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  I got my user name from when I worked in the skydiving industry and competed in landing accuracy. It's a combination of accu from accuracy  and my last name.

Edited by Accumack

Full set of Ping G430 clubs, Tommy Armour Impact 3 putter average 29 putts per round.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing off and on for 20 years, but got serious again this past year. Current handicap is 16.9. Down from 22 in February. 

2. What do you love about golf? Being out on the golf course where its just you and the game. And meeting all the great folks along the way. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Been following the youtube channel for a while. I do not know any other spies. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Currently living in Spring, TX(Houston). It's very hot here, but we get to play year round, so that's a huge plus. Home course for me is Windrose Golf Club. It's a good track and great people in the clubhouse. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best is we get to play year round and the worse is the summer humidity. It's brutal in July and August. But we sacrifice for the love of the game and sweat it out. 

6. What do you do for a living? Controller 

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's an abbreviation of my nickname when I was playing sports growing up. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus,9.0 set to 10.0, Ping Atla CB 55 Red, Reg, 44.5"

Woods: :ping-small: G410 SFT 5W set to 17.5, Ping Alta CB 65 Red, Reg

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3H, set to 20 degree, Ping Alta CB 70 Reb, Reg

Irons:  :ping-small: i210 5-PW, blue code, Ping AWT, Reg

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50 and 54 degree, Glide 3.0 58 degree Eye2

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma 2 Anser, PP62 grip

Ball:  Snell MTB-X

Edited by FCMTX

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

- I am a first generation Golfer. I have been playing just over 5 years. I tend to shoot around 77-83.

2. What do you love about golf?

- I love the rare mix of technicality, grace, art, mental toughness, and athleticism. It is hard to find a sport that demands a little bit of everything from a person

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

- Product knowledge, passion for performance, no BS marketing, and a place with like minded golf junkies. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

- I am from a small town in the Arkansas River Valley, Ozark. My home course is Ozark Country Club. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

- Best: Flexability. Most courses are very affordable and you do not need to worry about tee times. You never have to wait on that slow foursome. You can play multiple balls and play the music as loud as you want.

- Worst: Conditions. There is nothing better than losing a golf ball in the middle of the fairway and putting on a plinko board.

6.  What do you do for a living?

- I am a Financial Advisor. 

7.  How’d you pick your user name?

- It was given to me due to having poor handwriting and being a bad speller in grade school. We had an assignment to write a letter to our older self and the teacher kept it till our first day of high school. I wrote what looked like dear turpp instead of Tripp... Friends found out and never let me forget it. its my handle for all my social media. 

On 2/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: South Central Region

New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I’ve been playing golf for about 35 years and I normally shoot low to mid 80’s.

2. What do you love about golf? Just about everything! Especially the variety of course architecture in the area!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I found some of the equipment discussions to be very interesting. I really have enjoyed the golf ball information and continue to check back for updated info!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Weatherford, Tx and I claim Canyon West as my home course although I’m beginning to really like Oeste Ranch in Willow Park.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Probably the worst thing is overcrowded courses.

6. What do you do for a living? Currently am a manager on a cutting horse ranch!

7. How’d you pick your user name? Just used my name. 

I’ve played Hogans, Taylormade, Calloway, and Titleist. Currently playing TM M6’s, M4 9.5 degree, M5 3 wood, M4 rescue, and Calloway 7 wood. Using a Scotty Cameron putter! Shoot in mid 80’s most always.

I'm certainly not new to MGS anymore and I already have one of these up in a different region, but since I am moving to the Dallas-Fort Worth area in just a few weeks I figured I'd do another intro.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf off and on since I was roughly 10 years old, but I finally jumped in with both feet around 25. I turned 32 in April so about 7 years of golf as my main hobby and 22 years as something I've at least dabbled in. Current handicap is 10.4 with an average score of 86.

2. What do you love about golf? What I love about golf is the challenge, the scenery, and the opportunity to slow down and debrief from the daily grind. I like to walk 18 in the early morning and take in the surroundings. I've also really started to enjoy the thrill of competition I've experienced through my current club.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've been on a few other forums in the past, but MGS is home primarily because of the way everyone treats each other here. I have yet to see anyone really making fun of anyone else or trying to make them feel stupid on a particular matter. It doesn't mean we all agree on everything (or anything), but discussions are generally open-minded and civil. I've had great conversations with plenty of other spies, and had the pleasure of getting to meet @downlowkey back in June when I traveled to Colorado for work.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I currently live in Joplin, Missouri and as stated above will soon be relocating to DFW. I was born in Baton Rouge, LA, did a 2 year "stint" in Austin, TX when my family moved there in '95. Had the opportunity of a lifetime to go live in Hamilton, New Zealand for another 2 years after that (because of my dad's job). Finally, settled in Joplin in '99 - where my dad and much of his family are from originally. My Missouri home course is the Carthage Municipal Golf Course located in Carthage, MO (www.carthagegolfcourse.com). 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing about golf in SW Missouri is that it's fairly inexpensive and there are plenty of public courses around to play at. Worst thing is definitely the winter weather for me. I have eczema so anything much colder than 50 degrees outside and my hands start to split open which is incredibly painful. Looking forward to a warmer climate even if that means baking in an oven every summer.

6. What do you do for a living? Currently, I work as a trainer for a local manufacturing company in Joplin. We produce a variety of batteries for commercial, medical, space, and military uses. Still searching for a job in Dallas, but considering something along similar lines. I also have the unique opportunity to hit the reset button on my career if I choose to thanks to the amazing job offer my wife received. We'll see what happens.

7. How’d you pick your user name? There's nothing fun or incredibly exciting about the story behind my username. It's a twist on the word "triptych" which is the name of my favorite album by my favorite band - Demon Hunter. Triptych simply means a set of three associated artistic, literary, or musical works (it was DH's 3rd album). Anyway, when I was younger and playing video games I adapted the word to "TR1PTIK" after discovering someone else was already using "Triptych" as their gamer tag.

Well, I guess that's about it. Made a few updates from the last time I did this, but other than location not much has changed.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Two years, I started after my knee surgery and no longer being able to participate in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  On a good day I'm in the low 90's.  On a great day I'm in the high 80's

The mental aspect, playing against yourself.

Excellent content, approachable staff.  I know of no other spies.

Frisco, Tx.  The Tribute and Frisco Lakes.

Sweltering heat in the summer is tough, but the ability to play 12 months a year is great.

6. What do you do for a living?
    Alcohol sales

7. How’d you pick your user name?
    It's a play on my last name and The Great Sphinx.

• 2 months later...

I’ve been playing since my dad retired about 10 years. I thought it would be a good way for us to spend time together never having played. I never expected it to grow on me an become a part of my personality. A normal score is 42 for 9. I rarely get a chance for 18 holes.

The mental aspect needs to match the physical for a good score to come.

Not that I am aware.

To be apart of the community that’s bringing honest perception to golf and it’s products.

NM ... UNM North

Golf all year around. No affordable golf clubs. My father in law has access to a great course at a reasonable price in Ohio. Why not here?

Computer geek ... storage and *nix

It’s my name.

• 2 weeks later...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I started playing golf in March of 2018. I had played a few rounds before then but mostly just drinking beers on the course. My handicap when I started was -♾ but by the end of 2018 I was a 32.1. 2019 has been a total transformation as I have dedicated myself to becoming a student of the game. After spending a decent chunk of change on a fitting and bag outfitting and basically forking over thousands of $ for nothing that would benefit me i decided to take things into my own hands. I went to another fitter and instead of telling them I was brand new I just gave them a little data and what I was looking to accomplish. Got some clubs that fit better and that set me up for 2019. In 2019 I have played over 100 rounds taken tons of lessons and I wake up to be at the course when the range opens so I can practice till it’s time to go to work. I am now a -7.8 handicap and the goal is to get as close to scratch by the end of 2020. Lots more to this story not just in the last but hopefully in the future as 

i love the mix of chemistry physics and biology coming together. I played D1 ice hockey and golf is the only other sports that I have played that combines everything I live into one. Hockey and golf share so much, but the biggest common thread is look good okay good!

I came here for the data and technology reviews and it keeps me here. Data does not lie and club technology is there to help why not use it. The best line I heard here is okay as much game improvement technology as you can handle. At this moment I don’t know anyone else but hopefully that changes.

I am from Dallas - Fort Worth area and my home course is the golf club at fossil creek.

The best thing about golf in the DFW is that there are a lot of courses to choose from for anyone’s price point. There are also a lot of guys who buy anything that will help their game and it does not so you can grab some good deals. The worst thing about the DFW is it’s all the same grass for the most part which I learned when you go to a place like Florida Illinois or New York and play a round it has a huge impact on your game.

I am in software sales, but I am looking for an opportunity to break into the golf industry.

I just used my first name. Some things are like putters best when kept simple!

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

• 3 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing golf off & on for just over 35 years. In the past, I've been a junior member at Brookhaven CC (home to PGA Tour stalwarts like Jordan Spieth, Brian Watts, and Scott Verplank) but have never lowered my handicap better than 12. I've only broken 80 twice and have made one ace. These days, I work part-time as a starter at our local country club and try to play 2-3 times per month when I'm not chasing my 8-year old son around the basketball court or baseball fields. My current handicap index is 13.5 and I struggle with consistency in all aspects of my game because I rarely practice. I usually score between 86 and 92.

2. What do you love about golf? I just love the challenge of the game's results being solely up to me and my performance. It's just me and the ball, mind over matter, and it's a great outlet for my competitive nature. Growing up, I lettered in team sports; football, basketball, and baseball. I also enjoy being outdoors playing a round with my friends while imbibing an adult beverage or two. Someday, I'd like to play in flighted, handicapped tournaments again. I dabbled briefly with the Golf Channel Amateur Tour in my mid-30's. I shot an embarrassing 101 at Redstone GC (former home of the Shell Houston Open) during a round and that convinced me that I needed to get much better!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I just enjoy talking golf, its history & challenges, and equipment trends with other passionate golfers. I appreciate what MGS does with your unbiased product testing and reviews. No, I don't currently know any other Spies personally.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm from Houston, but have lived around the DFW suburbs since 1996. My home course is Timarron CC and my best round here is 82.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing is the great variety of challenging and reasonably priced daily-fee golf courses. The worst thing can be slow-play by inconsiderate and/or oblivious golfers. 

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a residential real estate agent. Lemme know if you're in the market to buy or sell, particularly in Tarrant or Denton counties. 😉

7. How’d you pick your user name? My initials are J.B. and I'm a Texas-Ex, aka an alumnus of the University of Texas and McCombs Business School. Hook 'Em Horns!

WITB 12.31.19a.jpg

Edited by J.B. TexasEx
WITB

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

On 3/23/2019 at 8:22 AM, PMookie said:

I drove-in from San Antonio. Yep, the deer were everywhere!!! Lots of hoof prints on the greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've played Tapatio Springs, Fair Oaks Ranch, La Cantera, and The Dominion with deer loitering on the greens - the safest place to be from me. They're everywhere and not much bigger than large dogs.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:44 PM, ChasingScratch said:

Greetings from Dallas, TX!

My name is Tony Rosselli and I am a husband, father, college professor, and all around golf fanatic.  I have an Instagram page dedicated to my journey of chasing scratch golf (@_chasing_scratch).  I try to practice and play as often as I can, but finances, family, and free-time are always factors.  My son just turned 5yrs old and he loves spending time with me on the course.  He is quite a talented kid who I already taught how to read greens!  I'm looking forward to joining the community.

16 years, typically high 70s or low 80s

I love that it is the constant pursuit of perfection.  You can never truly master the game and that is what keeps me coming back for more!  I also love the community you can gain from spending 4+ hours with good people.

I have always appreciated reading the unbiased reports and analyses of golf clubs and golf products provided by MyGolfSpy.  As a professor who does research, I can appreciate the concept of getting to the real performance and through all the hype and marketing that goes on in the golf industry. 

I live in Fate, TX (just outside Rockwall).  I typically play at Buffalo Creek in Heath, TX.

The best thing about golf in my region is that you can theoretically play year round (some days in summer are deadly and some winter days are just too cold, but for the most part you can make it work).  We have a slow play problem where I frequent.  Then we also have the opposite problem, regulars who don't even read putts just pick it up when they get to the green and try to run you over and rush you.
  6. What do you do for a living?

I am a tenured (found out this semester) college professor.  I actually study the game of golf from a sociological perspective and strategies/challenges with  growing the game for underrepresented groups.
  7. How’d you pick your user name?

It is an extension of my social media pages (@_chasing_scratch  on Instagram and ChasingScratch on YouTube and Facebook).  A few years ago I made it my goal to try to become a scratch golfer.

coverphoto.jpg

swing.jpg

Good stuff, Tony

I'll be chasing a < 10 HDCP in 2020. I'm "down" to 13.5 from 15 last year, so maybe there's hope!

Just a quick intro about myself. My name is Jason, I'm 44 yrs old, was born and raised in Chattanooga, TN. I've been in ABQ for about 14 months. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? I started playing when I was around 11 or 12. But dropped it for many years due to it was jacking with my baseball swing and baseball is what would be paying for college.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score? I came back to the game about 12-18 months ago with some seriousness about it and am currently carrying a 19.4 handicap. 

3. What do you love about golf? The mental grind, the internal battle of trying to stop thinking, yet being able to remain awake. Giving each shot its due focus without overthinking it. Finally, those 2 or 3 PURE shots that ensure you will be back sooner rather than later.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Came across it a few months back when I received one of the "testers wanted" emails. I dont not know any other spies but am definitely looking to make some great friends. 

5. Where are you from? I am originally from TN, I have been in Albuquerque for about 15 months.

6. What is your home course?  I would have to say that Sandia is my "home" course, although I do rotate thru the other local courses pretty regularly

7. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? 

• Best: Pretty much year.round golf available and the course conditions are superb, particularly at the casino courses.

• WORST: There are many days throughout the year where the wind makes play an exercise in futility at best and impossible at worst. 

1. What do you do for a living? IT Project Manager for a medical software company 

2. How’d you pick your user name? My highschool back home in TN has the absolute best mascot /team name...The Chattanooga Central Purple Pounders. So I kept the last parts and combined into 1 word. It may also be occasionally applicable to accurately describe that 1 drive out of 20 where the stars all align for that straight, baby draw shaped tee shots that finds it's way out past 3 bills.

•  

16 hours ago, Purplepounder09 said:

My highschool back home in TN has the absolute best mascot /team name...The Chattanooga Central Purple Pounders. So I kept the last parts and combined into 1 word. It may also be occasionally applicable to accurately describe that 1 drive out of 20 where the stars all align for that straight, baby draw shaped tee shots that finds it's way out past 3 bills.

•  

Texas high schools' Trent Gorillas, Springtown Porcupines, and Westlake Chapparals - among others - are also strong contenders for the "best mascot" title. https://www.aceable.com/blog/the-30-best-texas-high-school-mascots-ranked/

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy, I am Corbin. I am currently living in College Station, Texas. I have been playing golf for about 10 years, except for a couple years when I was in the military and could not get to golf. I just started getting back into the game within the last year and a half.  I am at 11.5 hcp, and working on lowering that this year.  I love the challenge this game brings, and the people I come across while playing. I enjoy always working on improving my game.  I came across MyGolfSpy while researching club reviews, I was looking for new clubs and wanted more information that what I could find on YouTube.  I stumbled upon this forum, and instantly knew this was different and I wanted to be apart of this community.  I am living in College Station, and my home course is The Golf Club at Texas A&M.  The best thing about playing here is that I get to play golf at least 9 months of the year, and I get a great tan while playing.  The worst part is that judging the wind is sometimes tricky.  I am a Driving instructor and safety operator for a logistics company.  My user name is my first initial of first name and my last name followed by my class year. I typically play with random groups of people so I need to work on getting pictures taken on the course, I will work on getting some added this year. 

EBE04669-5D1B-4680-8D2A-0654E42542A0.jpeg

80782880-31DA-4E0B-91D3-134434ACC7DB.png

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

I have been playing golf for about a decade now. My lowest index was 1.2, but since I haven't been playing much, I am definitely on the higher end of the single digits.

I love the mental challenge of the game, both intellectual and emotional. There is more to it than that, though. I love the community that golf allows you to be a part of. It seems like no matter where you go, you can always find another golfer.

Recently moved and am looking for some places to play and golfing buddies! I also really like the way they review golf products here, it seems so transparent!

Originally from a small town on the central coast of CA, but recently relocated to Midland, Tx

Not completely sure yet but I would say the best thing about Midland golf is how many courses there are in such a geographically close area! The worst thing is that most of them are private...

I am a city planner.

By messing around with initials, partial names, and my birthday. I actually made it over no a different golf forum like 5 years ago, so wanted to be consistent.

Been playing golf since I was 8 years old (but that mostly consisted of playing with my pops and the last 20+ years 2-3 “rounds” (scrambles) per year)

I didn't start getting serious about golf and playing/practicing regularly until summer of 2019 when I saw a video of my swing and nearly threw up.  Before then I thought it was just because I didn't play enough... turns out it was both.

Currently a 12 handicap and normal score is low-mid 90's (for now 🙂 )

1. What do you love about golf?

That if approached the correct way, even on your worse round it’s still enjoyable and you can always find things to practice.  That it is never ending in terms of learning and something I can play for the rest of my life.

1. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Truly focusing on improving my game last year made me realize how important equipment is.  I’ve played on 2 sets of clubs my entire life (until November 2019) – Ping Eye 2’s that were hand me downs and Tommy Armour 845’s.

MyGolfSpy has helped increase my knowledge on the equipment side of golf and I was looking for non-marketing based/biased reviews on products so I can really figure out good places to start in regard to what works best for me personally.

1. Where are you from? What is your home course?

NW Houston/Cypress, TX – Cypress Lakes or Houston National are my 2 home courses

1. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best Things – Year-round golf and the number of course options available to play

Worst – Lack of elevations and playing courses built into nature instead of nature being forced onto courses

1. What do you do for a living?

Commercial Insurance Broker/Risk Consultant

1. How’d you pick your user name?

Quickly that is how… initials, golf, and the century

Edited by DC_Golf_2k

WITB - 2020

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 - 9 Deg

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F9 - 3W & 5W

Irons: :ping-small: i210 w/ Nippon 1150 Shafts (4-UW)

Wedges: :callaway-small: MD5 JAW - 56 Deg & 60 Deg

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Toulon Atlanta

Foot Wedge: Puma Ignite Power Adapt Size 11US

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 2020 is my second year as a golfer and I've never figured up my handicap and I have yet to dip below 100.

2. What do you love about golf? Being outside and trying to figure out the best way to play each course.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I can't really remember where I first saw MGS, but after the ESPN article, I decided to give the site a full dive.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course. Originally from Kentucky, but I reside in Central Arkansas.  I don't have a home course yet, but the easiest for me to get to is The Course at River Oaks.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Course Maintenance.  Either they do it well or they do it poorly.  There's no in between and the greens fees don't guarantee anything.  Some of $20 courses are maintained better than the $60 courses.

6. What do you do for a living?  I'm a machinist.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My coworkers accuse me of looking like a runaway Amish.  So much so that after being at the same job for 9 years, I've run across people that believe I really did runaway from an Amish community.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

On 2/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: South Central Region

From about age 21-32 but quit for 13 years.

2. What do you love about golf? I like that I can play it alone if I feel like it, or with friends

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? No

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Joshua TX, Cleburne Golf Links, Squaw Valley golf club

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is that you can play 12 months out of the year. Worst is the heat in the summer.

6. What do you do for a living? I’m disabled (legally blind)

7. How’d you pick your user name? It’s my name

Mizuno ST190 8.5*
Mizuno ST190 3W

Titleist 690CB 3-9

Mizuno T7 48*

Mizuno S18 52*,56*,60*
Odyssey 2 Ball

1. How long have you been playing golf? 10 years recreational  but only 2 years serious
    What’s your handicap or normal score? 23-25

2. What do you love about golf? The difficulty and joy from hitting a perfect shot/put  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Found the site from an advertiser and discovered the quality of unbiased research being done.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Biloxi, MS / Sunkist CC

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Several quality courses supported by the gaming industry that provides top notch options. 

6.  i

7. What do you do for a living? Banker

8. How’d you pick your user name?
    Just came to me

Been playing since 1989, so just over 30 years. My handicap is currently +2, was playing a great golf throughout mid 2019 until I had surgery in October. Current scores are 72-75 but I'm slowing bringing them back down now that I can practice and play again post surgery.

I love everything about golf. I enjoy playing with friends, competitive events, or even just being on the course by myself. The best challenge of the game is between myself and the what the golf course gives me. Trying to execute a particular shot in that moment is what brings ultimate satisfaction or frustration. I just love it!

I really enjoy the content the MGS brings to the sport. I didn't really know much about MGS until the golf ball report last year. Since then I have been keeping up with it regularly. I don't know any other Spies currently, but I'm sure I'll run across someone soon.

I'm from South Mississippi. I'm a retired Navy veteran so I've played all over the world. I'm back in South Mississippi now and my home course is currently Shell Landing Golf Course in Gautier, MS.

The best thing about golf in my region is the number of golf courses that are available. With the up rise in casinos in our area the last 15-20 years, it has produced some great golf courses like Fallen Oak, The Preserve, Grand Bear, and Shell Landing. But it has also lead to a decline of some wonderful long time courses that can't afford to stay open in our area as well. So courses I grew up playing on are no longer available or will be shutting down in the near future. So I really enjoy having new courses to challenge me, but I will miss the courses that I had that local knowledge of that gave me that little advantage over others.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a retired Navy Senior Chief that works as a government contractor. I work with Huntington Ingalls Shipyard as a logistics analyst for new construction ships. Shortly after I retired from the navy, I took a position as General Manager of Pascagoula Country Club. It is a small nine hole golf course in my hometown. I loved the job but needed to be more financially secure to support my family better.

I can't stand pull-hooking the golf ball, in my opinion it is the most penalizing shot in golf, nothing good comes from it!

Edited by PullHookscomefromtheDevil
changed user name

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 LAGolf Trono 6X

Callaway Epic 3 Wood

Callaway X2Hot 2 Hybrid

Sub70 3Hybrid

Sub70 699 Pro Black 5-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 48,52,58

Sub70 005 Wide Putter