TESTERS WANTED! ×

South Central: NM, OK, AR, TX, LA, MS

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? - I started about 3 years ago./ 20 handicap, 92 normal score.

2. What do you love about golf? - Being outside and winning competition?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  -Web search?? 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? - Dallas, TX

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I don't know about "best" but I can tell you the "worst thing" is hot weather during summer.

6. What do you do for a living? A student

7. How’d you pick your user name? This is what I have used for a long time from.

Its really nice to meet you all!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey gang! Newbie to the forums here. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Ive been frustrating myself with this magnificent sport, on and off, for near 10 years now. Ah, typically in the 10-20 range. Depends on the course and the day. Y’all know how that goes…

1. What do you love about golf?

2. Everything! The love/hate relationship has become more love as I’ve gotten older. Helps to keep my fat ass in some sort of shape, and let’s me spend some time with the boys being knotheads.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. I don’t actually recall how I came across golfspys… Seemed cool so I figured I’d jump in. And I’ve yet to meet any other spies. Hoping to change that. 🤙

5. Where are you from? What is your home course? 

6. Currently living and playing in and around the DFW metroplex. Play mostly in McKinney where my buddies live, but I have eyes elsewhere. That’s half the fun, right?

7. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

8. In summertime, the heat! By far. If I owned this place and Hell, I’d live in Hell and rent this place out.. 😂

9. Best part is the sheer number of courses and the quality. I haven’t really come across too many courses in need of some serious love.

10. What do you do for a living?

11. Well, currently I work in a fabrication shop in Dallas building custom Side by Sides, but I am a commercial driver by trade and hope to be back doing it again ASAP.

12. How’d you pick your user name?

13. I thought it sounded funny. 

Edited by VanillaSlice

“I wish my wife were as dirty as my golf clubs…”

I am back after being gone for a few years.  I had to create a new account since the email address I used originally is not available to me to receive emails.  Couldn't remember the password.   Oh well.....

I have been catching up reading lots of post here.  Good to be back.  I play in 2 traveling tournament leagues, have been MGA president at 3 different clubs, currently on handicap committee at 2clubs, maintain website for another, and run the Saturday afternoon Senior game at my home club. 

1. How long have you been playing golf? 50 years  What’s your handicap or normal score?  Handicap index is 11.0

2. What do you love about golf?  I won't post the entire deal but if you watched the Legend of Bagger Vance, what Hardy Greaves told Rannulph Junuh in the locker room sums it up.  It simply is the greatest game ever.  If you didn't see the movie or don't remember it, look up the little speach Hardy gave Junuh.  It really is good.  

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Doing a Google search, I saw a post I wanted to respond to.  Do you already know any other Spies?  Not sure

4. Where are you from? Originally Alabama now live in Weston Lakes Texas What is your home course?  Weston Lakes Country Club

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Can play golf pretty much year round is probably the best along with lots of good courses.  Worst, well some would say the high temps and humidity in the summertime.  I can tolerate it.  Gnats and mosquitos are probably the worst to me.  

6. What do you do for a living?  Retired from one of the largest oil field equipment and service suppliers in the world

7. How’d you pick your user name?  My old name was my full name.  Now it is just my first name and first initial of last name. I don't try to hide. 

Edited by RickK
add more

WITB

Driver - Taylormade M6

3wd - Taylormade RBZ

Hybrids - Taylormade RBZ

Irons - Taylormade RSi1

Putter - Macgregor Smoothie

On 2/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: South Central Region

New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. Been playing consistently for about 5-6 years now. 14 handicap

2. I love constantly trying to improve.. and equipment. Haha 

3. Came to MGS because I research the crap out of everything I buy, and so I searched for reviews and found them that way. Currently don’t know any other spies. 
4. I’m from San Antonio, originally from MN. Don’t have a home course currently, but live closest to The Golf Club or Texas. 
5. Best thing is being able to play year round (not a thing in MN where I grew up). Worst thing is trying to play in 100+ degree weather for 3 or more months a year. 
6. I’m an Athletic Trainer (IE-first ones on the field for a sports injury) for a living. 
7. username is the first letter of my first name and the first 4 letters of my last name and my favorite number. Think of it like R-Herb-23. 

:taylormade-small:Driver- Sim2 max; 60x rogue silver 

:cobra-small:3wood- cobra F9; 70x hzrds black 

:taylormade-small:Hybrid- taylormade burner 

:mizuno-small:4-G- JPX921 Forged; Nippon tour 120s 

:cleveland-small:54,58- Cleveland RTX-4

:ping-small:Putter- Ping anser 2 cadence TR

:ping-small:Bag: Ping Hoofer CL

:Snell:Ball: MTB-X

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my name is Jason and I'm from Houston, TX

I have been playing golf for about 10 years and played in college. I am still a +1 handicap.

I love how golf keeps you coming back for more.

1. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Facebook groups aren’t good and I figured there would be better discussion here.

1. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am from Houston, TX but i do not have a home course yet.

1. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best part is playing all year but the worst part is the hot, humid summers.

1. What do you do for a living?

Data analyst for a real estate company

1. How’d you pick your user name?

Somewhat resembles my college username.

Edited by jlope6411
Misspelling

Driver: Taylormade Sim 8* w/ Tensei CK Pro White 60TX

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD XC 7TX

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18* w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90TX

Irons: Taylormade P760 w/ KBS C-Taper 130TX Black

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50*, 55*, 60*

Putter: Piretti Bosa 37"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my name is Alex and I'm from San Antonio, TX

I have been playing since I was very young, with a hiatus in college. Upper 70s on 6500yds

Your are your own defense haha!

1. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Found it thru researching for sine good golf data. I don;t know any other spies, that I know of.

1. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am from San Antonio, TX but i do not have a home course yet.

1. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best part is playing all year but the worst part is it gets south Texas hot!

1. What do you do for a living?

Ran a BMW shop, school right now, caddie, freelancing.

1. How’d you pick your user name?

Old leet-speak name from high school.

Edited by Kur05h1n

" I can't believe you're not going to give me that one!"

• 2 weeks later...
  1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Started playing in 2009, best score ever is 73 with a double bogey on 17 😞 .  Regularly shot between 76-84 from 2010 thru mid 2011, then the wheels fell off.  Currently getting my game back after having the wisdom to finally go see a bona fide golf coach for help.

2. What do you love about golf?  The Anticipation, excitement of hitting great shots.  Every Par 3 is "Alright, let's get that first ever hole-in-one!"  Beauty of God's creation and camaraderie with family and friends.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Equipment reviews, potential to be a tester, and community forums... Actually was looking for feedback on 2018 thru 2021 drivers to help me decide on what to upgrade to.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Originally from Mandeville, LA but live in Lafayette, LA now.  "Home Course" is really a few:  The Wetlands in Lafayette, The Farm in Carencro, LA, Les Vieux Chenes in Lafayette, LA and soon (due to a move) Southern Oaks in Abbeville, LA.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best is that golf season is basically 12 months and typically meeting new golfing partners means meeting new friends.

6. What do you do for a living?  Sell Supplemental Health Insurance for Educators and State Workers.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  As a newly minted High School graduate, I visited my brother (9 years my senior) and several of his buddies in San Diego and they joked about having a bowel movement calling it "Dropping a Deuce", or being funny and making is sound French, Dropping Duble (or a double).  Thought it was funny, claimed it as a unique online nickname, and it is now my email handle, gamertag, and username for pretty much everything online that I use for personal and work stuff.  My mother-in-law wouldn't put it on my Yeti for the family trip though... LOL 

TaylorMade M5 9* with Ventus Blue Velocore Shaft

TaylorMade M6 15* 3 wood

TaylorMade Sim Max 19*

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons 4-GW, 1.5* Upright

Mizuno T7 58* TT Wedge Flex Shaft

Mizuno MP T 53* TT Wedge Flex Shaft

Odyssey White Hot PRO 2.0, Black Rossie

Rapidly Dropping Handicap (Was a 2.8 in 2011, got addicted to the power I had (122 mph Driver) and blew my game up with crazy slices.  Fought it for a while and decided to put the clubs "in the closet" for a while.  Ended up playing only 2-3 times per year until 2017.  Started playing 2-3 times per month until March of this year--decided to make a decision: Take a set of lessons and make a choice; Either see moderate improvement, or sell my clubs and just quit the game altogether.  Thankfully, a good coach was able to see some of the CRAP that had gotten into my swing and gotten me quickly back on track.  Hadn't broken 90 in about 4 years, shot a 77 a few weeks back, and haven't shot over 84 since April!

New to the forums, I've been following MGS reviews and most wanted lists for a while so I thought I would get involved here.

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing since I was a kid, seriously practicing and playing for 20+ years.

2. What do you love about golf? I would say the constant challenge of trying to get better and learn new shots and improve. And the feeling when you hit a shot the way you want to is hard to beat. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I don't know any, I've been reading reviews posted on the site for a while now and I love to talk golf so I thought I would get involved with the forums. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Houston, TX. Home course would be Memorial Park if anything but I play all over. 

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is playing year round, worst is either the heat during the summer or some of the drives needed to reach different courses because of how spread out the city it.

6. What do you do for a living? Project manager at a fabrication yard. 

7. How’d you pick your user name? I picked it as my tag when I played Halo way back when from the And1 basketball videos believe it or not. Also it sort of fits my personality. 

:titelist-small: 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05

:titelist-small: 917 F3 15* VA Drago 75-X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 19* Ventus Black 10-TX

:mizuno-small: MP-20 MB 3-9 PX 6.5, T20 47* PX 6.5

:titelist-small: SM7 54-10S/60-08M PX 6.5/6.0

:titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Started playing golf around age 12 (so 61 years off and on) my first clubs were Wilson Gene Sarazen. I have played as often as every day but have also taken a year or two off from the game on occasion  Handicap is a 10.

What do you love about golf?

The challenge and creativity needed to pay the game. Meeting new people and now playing golf with my wife. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Came to MyGolfSpy reading product reviews.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

Dallas native, but have lived and played in DC and Kansas City. The Tribute in The Colony

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best is play year round. The worst is the heat in July and August.

What do you do for a living?

Retired (mostly) former bank regulator anD consultant 

How’d you pick your user name?

My wife picked it. 

Driver :ping-small: G400 SFT 9

3 Wood :ping-small: G400

4 Hybrid :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX

Irons :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 5-AW

Wedges :vokey-small: 254/10, 260/12

Putter :ping-small: Anser 2 Cadence

Ball :taylormade-small:Tour Response

Bag Stitch SL2, :Arccos:

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

• First stared 30 years ago with a couple breaks in there. Minus out the breaks, 15 years.

• Landscape, camaraderie, problem solving.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

• Blame YouTube and Instagram.

• I live in a suburb of Houston (Cypress) and belong to Blackhorse Golf Club.

• Best, year round golf. Worst, July/August heat.

• I'm a Marketing Strategist and Live Event Producer

How’d you pick your user name?

• Rob (first name) MD (middle, last initials), 21 (fav number). Something I've been running with for a long time.

0DE899F7-B92D-45D0-9DE4-010E859EB609.jpeg.27d6cd39657fbc0bb7ee01ccab436c86.jpeg

How's it going everyone?! Been on MGS off and on for a couple years, but I want to formally introduce myself!

Video is from a round of night golf at Beacon Lakes GC in League City, TX. They have a fully light 18 hole course. Lights kick on around 6:30ish and once it's almost too hard to see the ball, boom, the lights illuminate the fairways and greens. Do not go in the trees, you won't find anything!

Picture is of me standing on the 16th green of the Black Pearl GC in Roatan, Honduras. My family took a cruise 2 years ago and this was one of my excursions with my girlfriend and father. It was my first tropical golf course experience and it was magical! Beautiful course, but what else would you expect from Pete Dye!!

How long have you been playing golf? What's your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing golf since I was 4 years old (so 31 years) when my dad would take me out to play with him and my uncle. My current handicap is 7, my lowest was 3.4 when I took lessons through middle school and high school (golf was my life during those year and lived at the course).

I love golf because it is an individual and team sport (team being who you play with and the people you meet!). You can be alone out there by yourself and your thoughts or you can bring others along, or meet strangers at the course and be friends by the 18th green.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know other Spies?

I first learned about MyGolfSpy years ago through their product testing and blunt reviews of product. Now with their ball lab series, virtual tournaments and giveaways and testers, it's a one stop shop for everything golf! I only know Spies that I have told about MGS and they joined!

Currently live in Houston (30 min E of downtown) and home course would be Newport GC (course in our neighborhood. Originally from Indiana and home course there was Trophy Club or Golf Club of Indiana.

Best thing about golf in my region is you can play year round! Love that, even though the course conditions may not be optimal, but playing is playing especially when I use to live in snow 3-4 months of the year! Worst things is the heat through the summer. Afternoon golf is unbearable, so peak tee times are early morning or late evening. Night golf is a blast though and highly recommend if you have not played!

For a living I'm a Special Education teacher!

How'd you pick your user name?

When I moved to Houston and started making friends, one of the first friends I made is now my go to golfing buddy and together we created a social media golf account (Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok) to connect and show courses we play to the world. We're called Crossroads Golf because Indiana's state nickname is the Crossroads of America. Also golf allows you to meet individuals from all walks of life and I felt that naming our social media that was a great moniker for our topic, GOLF!

:nike-small: Sasquatch Sumo 2

LaJolla (LJC Golf) Tungsteel 3w

:mizuno-small: TZoid 5w

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW irons

:vokey-small: 53* & 58* Wedges

:odyssey-small: Lab Stroke 2 Ball Fang

:srixon-small: Z-Star balls

:Arccos: Tags

Excited to be here!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Been playing for about 15 years but with a ~7 year hiatus in the middle. Getting back into it more seriously in the last 3 years. Currently sitting at about a 9 index.

2. What do you love about golf? For me it's the perfect way to get outside and get away from all the other stresses of life. Nothing better than the feeling of being in the moment brought on by friends and competition.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I found MGS about 2 months ago as I was researching iron sets. Really impressed at the community feel of the site, and obviously the independent nature of the reviews, actively fact-checking the often over the top claims of the OEMs.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm originally from Michigan, but living in Northern New Mexico now. Home course is the beautiful Los Alamos County Golf Course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Hard to beat the incredible mountain views and excellent weather. There is no question that lots of the courses struggle with water supply issues which can lead to rough conditions in dry years.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a scientist 🧑‍🔬

7. How’d you pick your user name? Wouldn't you like to know!

-Ross

WITB: GBB Epic driver 9 deg. Aldila Rogue Max XS; Titleist 915F 3 wood 16.5 deg.; Ben  Hogan Icon 4-P. Vokey wedges 52, 56, 60 deg. Odessey white hot Rossie blade.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a new member but figured I would post here. I will be relocating to Austin by the end of the year so looking forward to making some new connections on the fairways! See y'all soon!

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  About 18 years now but I was away from the game for 5+ years due to several issues including multiple hand injuries. Finally got back to playing this year. Too early to establish a decent handicap again but I’m happy to keep it under 90 after such a long break 😉.

2. What do you love about golf?  The skill involved both mentally and physically, being outdoors, and being able to spend the time with friends and family.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Been a lurker for quite a while now, especially during my time away from golf, and finally decided to join this year. And no, not yet. 

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Northwest Oklahoma. Boiling Springs GC is my local 18.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Having a large diversity in terms of course types and layouts in a relatively close area, but wind and rattlesnakes are always present  

6. What do you do for a living?  Lease Operator.

7. How’d you pick your user name?  Nickname I was given at a game night that just stuck. Used it across several platforms ever since. 

Edited by ThePhillB

Hey guys,
I am new to the site and glad to be here!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing for a pretty long time. With increasing responsibilities at work, and just general adulting, my handicap has gone up to a 9. I generally shoot high 70s/low 80s. 

What do you love about golf? I love that it affords me the opportunity to spend time outside with friends. I appreciate the camaraderie and competition. My father was a college golfer, and since he has passed away, it has given me the opportunity to feel closer to him in an odd way.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I really enjoy the reviews and finally spent enough time on the site to realize that there were forums.

Where are you from? What is your home course? I am originally from Galveston, Texas where my family has been in residence since prior to the 1900 storm. I currently live in League City which is just south of Houston, basically where NASA is located. I am lucky to play at a number of courses in the area, both public and private. Honestly, I would not know which course to call my home.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing about golf in our region is that we have a lot of it, and we get a lot of warm weather. The downside is that is gets really warm and the humidity is insane. 

What do you do for a living? I am a managing consultant for a firm specializing in human resources.

How’d you pick your user name? family initials 

WITB:

Driver - PING G400 9* with Aldila XTORSION Copperhead Mamba Stiff

3 Wood - PING G425 114.5* - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei Orange 

4 Wood / Utility - Taylormade 2017 M2 16.5* with stock shaft  / PING G 3 Crossover 18* with stock shaft

Irons: PING G 425 4-PW with Nippon Modus 105

Wedges: PING Glide 3.0 - 52, 56, 60 with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue s400

Putter: PING PLD Prime Tyne 4

On 7/31/2021 at 10:08 PM, RJB said:

Excited to be here!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Been playing for about 15 years but with a ~7 year hiatus in the middle. Getting back into it more seriously in the last 3 years. Currently sitting at about a 9 index.

2. What do you love about golf? For me it's the perfect way to get outside and get away from all the other stresses of life. Nothing better than the feeling of being in the moment brought on by friends and competition.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I found MGS about 2 months ago as I was researching iron sets. Really impressed at the community feel of the site, and obviously the independent nature of the reviews, actively fact-checking the often over the top claims of the OEMs.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm originally from Michigan, but living in Northern New Mexico now. Home course is the beautiful Los Alamos County Golf Course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Hard to beat the incredible mountain views and excellent weather. There is no question that lots of the courses struggle with water supply issues which can lead to rough conditions in dry years.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm a scientist 🧑‍🔬

7. How’d you pick your user name? Wouldn't you like to know!

Where in Michigan? I’m from the Ann Arbor area

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

3 hours ago, deh said:

Hey guys,
I am new to the site and glad to be here!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing for a pretty long time. With increasing responsibilities at work, and just general adulting, my handicap has gone up to a 9. I generally shoot high 70s/low 80s. 

What do you love about golf? I love that it affords me the opportunity to spend time outside with friends. I appreciate the camaraderie and competition. My father was a college golfer, and since he has passed away, it has given me the opportunity to feel closer to him in an odd way.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I really enjoy the reviews and finally spent enough time on the site to realize that there were forums.

Where are you from? What is your home course? I am originally from Galveston, Texas where my family has been in residence since prior to the 1900 storm. I currently live in League City which is just south of Houston, basically where NASA is located. I am lucky to play at a number of courses in the area, both public and private. Honestly, I would not know which course to call my home.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing about golf in our region is that we have a lot of it, and we get a lot of warm weather. The downside is that is gets really warm and the humidity is insane. 

What do you do for a living? I am a managing consultant for a firm specializing in human resources.

How’d you pick your user name? family initials 

Welcome aboard, I’m near 288 and HWY 6, I’m not near as good as you, but maybe we can get together and play sometime 

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

9 hours ago, TBT said:

Welcome aboard, I’m near 288 and HWY 6, I’m not near as good as you, but maybe we can get together and play sometime 

Thanks, that sounds like a plan! Just let me know!

WITB:

Driver - PING G400 9* with Aldila XTORSION Copperhead Mamba Stiff

3 Wood - PING G425 114.5* - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei Orange 

4 Wood / Utility - Taylormade 2017 M2 16.5* with stock shaft  / PING G 3 Crossover 18* with stock shaft

Irons: PING G 425 4-PW with Nippon Modus 105

Wedges: PING Glide 3.0 - 52, 56, 60 with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue s400

Putter: PING PLD Prime Tyne 4

On 8/16/2021 at 5:49 PM, PMookie said:

Where in Michigan? I’m from the Ann Arbor area

Nice! I grew up just north of Detroit, but my parents have been living in Ypsi for the last bunch of years now. Ann Arbor’s is great fun.

-Ross

WITB: GBB Epic driver 9 deg. Aldila Rogue Max XS; Titleist 915F 3 wood 16.5 deg.; Ben  Hogan Icon 4-P. Vokey wedges 52, 56, 60 deg. Odessey white hot Rossie blade.

Well...here it goes! Glad to meet you all!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I think I was about 8 when I started...so off and on for 48 years? UGH. During my heaviest playing time (used to live in Scottsdale) I was probably an 8-10 HCP. I hadn't played for several years, and got the itch again last year. I'm working through grip changes right now (interlocking, and left hand on the bottom for putts). I have never had any instruction, and have always gripped a club like a baseball bat. I was always afraid of sacrificing distance...but I think it's time I try a more traditional approach.
  2. What do you love about golf? The camaraderie, the personal challenge to improve, the enduring stories of on-course shenanigans (like the time my buddy hit his second shot from the middle of Hayden Rd. while playing Starfire in Scottsdale), and the excitement of the rare moments when you do it right! I also enjoy...umm...looking like I do...and getting the usual "look at that clown" treatment...and then I proceed to crush a 300-yarder down the middle. Ha ha!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I haven't poked around to see if I know anyone, but chances are I do. After watching the 2021 ball testing video, I came here looking for the data (which I found...awesome presentation via Tableau!). I'm always looking to learn...and upgrade equipment, of course.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm in Shreveport, currently. Grew up in Iowa. Moved away before they built the TPC Deere Run course, but hope to play it sometime (my wife's cousin is a member, so I have a decent chance). I've mostly been playing Crooked Hollow GC in Greenwood LA. It's usually not too busy...is not well maintained overall, but it is pretty challenging layout. It's outside of town and quiet, and the staff are nice. I'm looking at joining the nearby Country Club, and I'm sure that will have its own challenges (longhairs need not apply!).

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best - nearly year-round playability. The worst...the oppressive heat and humidity! I miss the air conditioned carts in AZ!

6. What do you do for a living? I'm an IT Applications Analyst; currently working for a company that provides oncology-related education and training.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Anyone who's known me since about 6th grade calls me Willie. It started as Wee Willie Wilkens, and then was abbreviated from there!

PXG 0811X Proto - 9* / PXG 0341X 15* / Cobra King SZ 19* One Length ~ Irons: Cobra King Forged Tec One Length / 60* Wedge: PXG Zulu 0311T / Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport

3 hours ago, williewilkens said:

Well...here it goes! Glad to meet you all!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I think I was about 8 when I started...so off and on for 48 years? UGH. During my heaviest playing time (used to live in Scottsdale) I was probably an 8-10 HCP. I hadn't played for several years, and got the itch again last year. I'm working through grip changes right now (interlocking, and left hand on the bottom for putts). I have never had any instruction, and have always gripped a club like a baseball bat. I was always afraid of sacrificing distance...but I think it's time I try a more traditional approach.
  2. What do you love about golf? The camaraderie, the personal challenge to improve, the enduring stories of on-course shenanigans (like the time my buddy hit his second shot from the middle of Hayden Rd. while playing Starfire in Scottsdale), and the excitement of the rare moments when you do it right! I also enjoy...umm...looking like I do...and getting the usual "look at that clown" treatment...and then I proceed to crush a 300-yarder down the middle. Ha ha!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I haven't poked around to see if I know anyone, but chances are I do. After watching the 2021 ball testing video, I came here looking for the data (which I found...awesome presentation via Tableau!). I'm always looking to learn...and upgrade equipment, of course.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm in Shreveport, currently. Grew up in Iowa. Moved away before they built the TPC Deere Run course, but hope to play it sometime (my wife's cousin is a member, so I have a decent chance). I've mostly been playing Crooked Hollow GC in Greenwood LA. It's usually not too busy...is not well maintained overall, but it is pretty challenging layout. It's outside of town and quiet, and the staff are nice. I'm looking at joining the nearby Country Club, and I'm sure that will have its own challenges (longhairs need not apply!).

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best - nearly year-round playability. The worst...the oppressive heat and humidity! I miss the air conditioned carts in AZ!

6. What do you do for a living? I'm an IT Applications Analyst; currently working for a company that provides oncology-related education and training.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Anyone who's known me since about 6th grade calls me Willie. It started as Wee Willie Wilkens, and then was abbreviated from there!

Welcome! I’m over in Monroe, “just down the street”!!!

Yessir, you are! I haven't officially been to Monroe. I won't consider driving by on the interstate on the way back from vacation an official visit. Ha ha! My wife's boss is originally from Monroe, so I know if I ever plan to go, he will certainly tell me where to eat...and golf!

PXG 0811X Proto - 9* / PXG 0341X 15* / Cobra King SZ 19* One Length ~ Irons: Cobra King Forged Tec One Length / 60* Wedge: PXG Zulu 0311T / Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport

• 3 months later...

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? started taking lessons in high school about 20 years ago, normal score right now is low-90s

2. What do you love about golf? being outdoors and playing different courses for change of scenery

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? want to learn more about the golf community and better knowledge of the products, don't know any other Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Carrollton, Texas (Dallas area) - Indian Creek

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? the weather is typically warm year round, summers are over 100º

6. What do you do for a living? real estate broker at Coldwell Banker 

7. How’d you pick your user name? my initials and my favorite zip code

Currently in my image.png.7bc878434b6be6d142969f2f4590ca0e.png Hoofer stand bag:

image.png.23679d04ef538485a4cd802bd2702ce0.png 917D2 9.5º Driver Diamana 70g S-shaft

image.png.23679d04ef538485a4cd802bd2702ce0.png TS2 18º FW Fujikura AirSpeeder 40g R-shaft

image.png.23679d04ef538485a4cd802bd2702ce0.png T100 (2021) 4-PW Iron AMT White S300

image.png.0a251cd52391bd1cd2e779b3bc369080.png Vokey SM8 - 50º 54º 58º

546687528_ScreenShot2021-11-27at11_11_07AM.png.1b8ccf34a48fafeba64a91ac9b3a6678.png TP collection - Ardmore 3 putter

546687528_ScreenShot2021-11-27at11_11_07AM.png.1b8ccf34a48fafeba64a91ac9b3a6678.png TP5 pix - Golf balls

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on MGS for awhile now, but recently moved from Oregon to Arkansas, so I thought I'd post my info here.....

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Started playing at the end of my military career at the age of 38, so it's been a bit over 32 years.  Typically shoot in the low 80s and upper 70s with a current index of 7ish.

2. What do you love about golf? It's a great way to socialize.  It's a constant effort to do well and to improve.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Been here awhile already.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Originally from Fort Walton Beach, Florida, then a lot of time in Charleston, SC during my military career.  After retiring from the Navy, I lived in CO, MT, ND, and most recently 20 years in Medford, OR.  I am now residing in Hot Springs Village, AR (Dec 21).  Home course is Diamante Golf Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Too early in my time here to make that call.

6. What do you do for a living? Retired from US Submarine Service in 1990.  Worked as Financial Advisor and stock broker post military, but retired fully now.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my name.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, everpride said:

Hello All! I wanted to share with you what I have found and adopted into my everyday golf routine. This does wonders for me and my game I hope it can do the same for you all! https://bit.ly/3IJHmqy

Hello All! I wanted to share with you what I have found and adopted into my everyday golf routine. This does wonders for me and my game I hope it can do the same for you all! https://bit.ly/3IJHmqy

@GolfSpy MPR

@GolfSpy_APH

A number of posts by this one in a couple different threads….

6 hours ago, PMookie said:

@GolfSpy MPR

@GolfSpy_APH

A number of posts by this one in a couple different threads….

Thankfully we have several awesome members who already reported it and its been taken care of! Thanks for the heads up.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2022 at 6:26 PM, ExTrumpet said:

Howdy fellers, new here...I'm a bit surprised Texas didn't have its own thread!  

Welcome! Where do reside? Course you play most? Know any folks on MGS? 

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Welcome! Where do reside? Course you play most? Know any folks on MGS? 

Plano, and I really don't play any one course more than the rest!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*

Ping G30 3 Wood

Ping G20 17* Hybrid

Ping K15 3, 4 Hybrids

Ping 2010 Anser Forged 5-W

Taylormade Hi Toe 54, 58

Ping Zing 2 BeCu

• 1 month later...

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Live in Austin, usually play at Grey Rock the most simply because it’s right by my house. Have a 4 month old  though so less actually playing these days unfortunately.

Would love to connect with other Austin folks for some rounds in the future.