South Central: NM, OK, AR, TX, LA, MS

GolfSpy MPR

3 hours ago, williewilkens said:

Well...here it goes! Glad to meet you all!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I think I was about 8 when I started...so off and on for 48 years? UGH. During my heaviest playing time (used to live in Scottsdale) I was probably an 8-10 HCP. I hadn't played for several years, and got the itch again last year. I'm working through grip changes right now (interlocking, and left hand on the bottom for putts). I have never had any instruction, and have always gripped a club like a baseball bat. I was always afraid of sacrificing distance...but I think it's time I try a more traditional approach.
  2. What do you love about golf? The camaraderie, the personal challenge to improve, the enduring stories of on-course shenanigans (like the time my buddy hit his second shot from the middle of Hayden Rd. while playing Starfire in Scottsdale), and the excitement of the rare moments when you do it right! I also enjoy...umm...looking like I do...and getting the usual "look at that clown" treatment...and then I proceed to crush a 300-yarder down the middle. Ha ha!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I haven't poked around to see if I know anyone, but chances are I do. After watching the 2021 ball testing video, I came here looking for the data (which I found...awesome presentation via Tableau!). I'm always looking to learn...and upgrade equipment, of course.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I'm in Shreveport, currently. Grew up in Iowa. Moved away before they built the TPC Deere Run course, but hope to play it sometime (my wife's cousin is a member, so I have a decent chance). I've mostly been playing Crooked Hollow GC in Greenwood LA. It's usually not too busy...is not well maintained overall, but it is pretty challenging layout. It's outside of town and quiet, and the staff are nice. I'm looking at joining the nearby Country Club, and I'm sure that will have its own challenges (longhairs need not apply!).

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best - nearly year-round playability. The worst...the oppressive heat and humidity! I miss the air conditioned carts in AZ!

6. What do you do for a living? I'm an IT Applications Analyst; currently working for a company that provides oncology-related education and training.

7. How’d you pick your user name? Anyone who's known me since about 6th grade calls me Willie. It started as Wee Willie Wilkens, and then was abbreviated from there!

Welcome! I’m over in Monroe, “just down the street”!!!

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Yessir, you are! I haven't officially been to Monroe. I won't consider driving by on the interstate on the way back from vacation an official visit. Ha ha! My wife's boss is originally from Monroe, so I know if I ever plan to go, he will certainly tell me where to eat...and golf!

PXG 0811X Proto - 9* / PXG 0341X 15* / Cobra King SZ 19* One Length ~ Irons: Cobra King Forged Tec One Length / 60* Wedge: PXG Zulu 0311T / Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport

• 3 months later...

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? started taking lessons in high school about 20 years ago, normal score right now is low-90s

2. What do you love about golf? being outdoors and playing different courses for change of scenery

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? want to learn more about the golf community and better knowledge of the products, don't know any other Spies.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Carrollton, Texas (Dallas area) - Indian Creek

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? the weather is typically warm year round, summers are over 100º

6. What do you do for a living? real estate broker at Coldwell Banker 

7. How’d you pick your user name? my initials and my favorite zip code

• Like 1

Currently in my image.png.7bc878434b6be6d142969f2f4590ca0e.png Hoofer stand bag:

image.png.23679d04ef538485a4cd802bd2702ce0.png 917D2 9.5º Driver Diamana 70g S-shaft

image.png.23679d04ef538485a4cd802bd2702ce0.png TS2 18º FW Fujikura AirSpeeder 40g R-shaft

image.png.23679d04ef538485a4cd802bd2702ce0.png T100 (2021) 4-PW Iron AMT White S300

image.png.0a251cd52391bd1cd2e779b3bc369080.png Vokey SM8 - 50º 54º 58º

546687528_ScreenShot2021-11-27at11_11_07AM.png.1b8ccf34a48fafeba64a91ac9b3a6678.png TP collection - Ardmore 3 putter

546687528_ScreenShot2021-11-27at11_11_07AM.png.1b8ccf34a48fafeba64a91ac9b3a6678.png TP5 pix - Golf balls

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on MGS for awhile now, but recently moved from Oregon to Arkansas, so I thought I'd post my info here.....

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Started playing at the end of my military career at the age of 38, so it's been a bit over 32 years.  Typically shoot in the low 80s and upper 70s with a current index of 7ish.

2. What do you love about golf? It's a great way to socialize.  It's a constant effort to do well and to improve.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Been here awhile already.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Originally from Fort Walton Beach, Florida, then a lot of time in Charleston, SC during my military career.  After retiring from the Navy, I lived in CO, MT, ND, and most recently 20 years in Medford, OR.  I am now residing in Hot Springs Village, AR (Dec 21).  Home course is Diamante Golf Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Too early in my time here to make that call.

6. What do you do for a living? Retired from US Submarine Service in 1990.  Worked as Financial Advisor and stock broker post military, but retired fully now.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's my name.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5*) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*)-- Mitishibishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 19* and 24* -- Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW, SW(bent to 52*) -- KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R +1/2 inch 3 up

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX2 56* and 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge shaft

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, everpride said:

Hello All! I wanted to share with you what I have found and adopted into my everyday golf routine. This does wonders for me and my game I hope it can do the same for you all! https://bit.ly/3IJHmqy

Hello All! I wanted to share with you what I have found and adopted into my everyday golf routine. This does wonders for me and my game I hope it can do the same for you all! https://bit.ly/3IJHmqy

@GolfSpy MPR

@GolfSpy_APH

A number of posts by this one in a couple different threads….

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

6 hours ago, PMookie said:

@GolfSpy MPR

@GolfSpy_APH

A number of posts by this one in a couple different threads….

Thankfully we have several awesome members who already reported it and its been taken care of! Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

• 2 months later...

Howdy fellers, new here...I'm a bit surprised Texas didn't have its own thread!  

• Like 1

PXG 0811X Proto 9*

Ping G30 3 Wood

Ping G20 17* Hybrid

Ping K15 3, 4 Hybrids

Ping 2010 Anser Forged 5-W

Taylormade Hi Toe 54, 58

Ping Zing 2 BeCu

On 3/10/2022 at 6:26 PM, ExTrumpet said:

Howdy fellers, new here...I'm a bit surprised Texas didn't have its own thread!  

Welcome! Where do reside? Course you play most? Know any folks on MGS? 

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Welcome! Where do reside? Course you play most? Know any folks on MGS? 

Plano, and I really don't play any one course more than the rest!

• Like 1

PXG 0811X Proto 9*

Ping G30 3 Wood

Ping G20 17* Hybrid

Ping K15 3, 4 Hybrids

Ping 2010 Anser Forged 5-W

Taylormade Hi Toe 54, 58

Ping Zing 2 BeCu

• 1 month later...

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Live in Austin, usually play at Grey Rock the most simply because it’s right by my house. Have a 4 month old  though so less actually playing these days unfortunately.

Would love to connect with other Austin folks for some rounds in the future. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geaux said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

Live in Austin, usually play at Grey Rock the most simply because it’s right by my house. Have a 4 month old  though so less actually playing these days unfortunately.

Would love to connect with other Austin folks for some rounds in the future. 

Welcome!!! I miss having Austin in my territory at work because I love to golf there! You can always create a thread to let folks know you’re looking for others to join a round, so don’t be shy. Glad to have you here.

• 2 weeks later...

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?     I started playing golf after I graduated from high school in 1992  

2. What do you love about golf? I love everything about golf.  I love being at the golf course, I love the challenge.  Love the feel of a purée 4iron.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I do not know any others.  I love the reviews etc. I am a golf gear junkie and love reading what MyGolfSpy has to say.  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I am from Edmond Oklahoma and my home course is Oak Tree County Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best thing is we have variety of weather and Fall golf in Oklahoma is amazing  worst is we have a lot of really windy days.

6. What do you do for a living?  I am an oil field service company Account Manager 

7. How’d you pick your user name?  First name first letter and last name. 

• Like 2

Larry A. Merrick 

33 minutes ago, Lmerrick said:

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?     I started playing golf after I graduated from high school in 1992  

2. What do you love about golf? I love everything about golf.  I love being at the golf course, I love the challenge.  Love the feel of a purée 4iron.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I do not know any others.  I love the reviews etc. I am a golf gear junkie and love reading what MyGolfSpy has to say.  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I am from Edmond Oklahoma and my home course is Oak Tree County Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best thing is we have variety of weather and Fall golf in Oklahoma is amazing  worst is we have a lot of really windy days.

6. What do you do for a living?  I am an oil field service company Account Manager 

Welcome!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 7:28 PM, PoBear8412 said:

Checking in from Oklahoma. Don’t post often but thought I’d drop in and say Hi. Enjoy the content. 

What part of Oklahoma I’m Edmond area. 

Larry A. Merrick 

On 4/29/2022 at 8:12 PM, Lmerrick said:

I've actually been to Edmond, OK!!  Visited a clinic learning the Moe Norman single plane swing at Graves Golf Academy who now teaches out of Rose Creek GC.  It straightened out my slice, but I moved on from the SPS maybe 10-12 years ago.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I've actually been to Edmond, OK!!  Visited a clinic learning the Moe Norman single plane swing at Graves Golf Academy who now teaches out of Rose Creek GC.  It straightened out my slice, but I moved on from the SPS maybe 10-12 years ago.

I met Graves at a tournament last year. I think he is teaching at Oak Tree National now. 

• Like 1

Larry A. Merrick 

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

1. 9 months - mid to low 80s

2. What do you love about golf?

1. The challenge and being outside

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

1. I found the reviews useful and wanted to see what I could contribute

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

1. Oklahoma City - any course that doesn't cost a fortune for membership

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

1. Worst: Wind

2. Best: Tailwinds lol

6. What do you do for a living?

1. Sit at a computer all day

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. I like Snickers but my name is Nic (no k) and putting a z on the end is just cool

WITB: The best deals I can find on used clubs

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

1. Been playing for almost 20 years.  Took a 6 year break in between.  I can shoot 92 and I can shoot 78.

2. What do you love about golf?

1. I can compete against myself and there is always room for improvement.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

1. The reviews are excellent.  I don't agree with all of them, but it is a great starting point.  I do not know other spies...or do I?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

1. San Antonio, Tx.  My home course recently closed.  It was one of the best in the area.  I'm devastated.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

1. Worst: Heat

2. Best: Heat...makes for an empty course at 2pm.

6. What do you do for a living?

1. I am an educator

7. How’d you pick your user name?

1. I am returning to golf full time (weekends) and I hope to shoot below 75 by the end of the summer.