Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Pacific Northwest: AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, WY

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  About 25 years consistently HCP is 11.

2. What do you love about golf?  The challenge and competition with myself to get better.  The equipment and the new availability of data (LM, & on course metrics)  for the average golfer. Golf is more counterintuitive than any other sport.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Equipment research. it's refreshing to see equipment tests with swing speeds from the planet I actually inhabit.  Don't know any othe spies, hope to meet some.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  Seattle area, currently my home course is Newcastle, but looking to re-join a private club.  Sahalee was my home course for about 14 years.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? We have some nice courses, and summer here is unbeleivable. The worst is the short season, and the wet conditions.

6. What do you do for a living?  Retired Tech exec.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's an accurate description of the current state of my short game.

Edited by #handsofstone

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to the NW members that there is a golf outing being arranged. Check the link below

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing since I could stand, my grandfather is to thank for that, LOL, so about 30 years or so. I am 34 and love every aspect of the game, my favorite being, although I do enjoy playing team sports as well, golf was that one sport that no matter if it's a game between friends or a tournament its just you against yourself out there.  My favorite golfer is hands down Tiger Woods.  I love the PNW region for golf because I will play in all weather I love the rain and it makes for beautiful green courses.  My home course is Madrona Links in Gig Harbor WA it's right a around the corner, LOL

Edited by Jpgolf416

Has anyone in the Seattle area been fitted for a set?  I live across the sound in Poulsbo, so I know I'm going to take the ferry across.   And if you have, where did you go and what did you think of it?  I'm thinking about getting fitted for my birthday this fall.

:titelist-small: 917D 9.5 (Project X Evenflow Blue) 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 13.5 (Project X Hzrdus Black)

:titelist-small: 816 H2 21 (Diamana D+ 90)

:titelist-small: TMB 2 Iron 17 (Project X LXi)

:srixon-small: z765 5-PW (True Temper DG S300)

:mizuno-small: T7 50, 54, 58 (True Temper DG Wedge Flex)

:ping-small: Sigma Anser

:Snell:MTB-X

27 minutes ago, jadams505 said:

Has anyone in the Seattle area been fitted for a set?  I live across the sound in Poulsbo, so I know I'm going to take the ferry across.   And if you have, where did you go and what did you think of it?  I'm thinking about getting fitted for my birthday this fall.

I would recommend Club Champion.  Even if you don't buy from them, the experience and information is well worth it.  Other options to look at Golf Tec.  Perhaps someone from that area will give more specific for local clubfitter/builders that are good.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

5 hours ago, Jpgolf416 said:

I've been playing since I could stand, my grandfather is to thank for that, LOL, so about 30 years or so. I am 34 and love every aspect of the game, my favorite being, although I do enjoy playing team sports as well, golf was that one sport that no matter if it's a game between friends or a tournament its just you against yourself out there.  My favorite golfer is hands down Tiger Woods.  I love the PNW region for golf because I will play in all weather I love the rain and it makes for beautiful green courses.  My home course is Madrona Links in Gig Harbor WA it's right a around the corner, LOL

Welcome from the dry side of the state.  I think I played Madrona Links about 10 years ago.   When my wife and I travel to play, we always rent carts.  However, that day we walked with push carts because we were playing with friends in the area and they were walking.  Are the fairways rather slopey, either L/R or R/L?  I rolled my ankle, and ended up getting a cart for the second nine. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, jadams505 said:

I got fitted at Jorgensen Golf in Everett about 5 years ago when I bought my ping s55 irons, they were knowledgeable and extremely friendly.  I live down in Gig Harbor now but I would definitely make the trip back up there if need be.  

Edited by Jpgolf416

On 4/19/2019 at 1:50 PM, jadams505 said:

Club Champion in Bellevue. Highly recommend getting fit by Brian. He did a great job making sure he tested out my requests while finding things I had never considered. My game improved drastically once I was fitted there. He is also a no pressure salesman. I ended up buying my custom iron set direct from Srixon and save $1k. Their biggest up-sell is "PUREing" your shafts, but I'm not good enough to know a difference. 

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?
- I officially started playing golf at the end of June 2018. My normal score, last season, was around 110 with 106 being my lowest carded score but I just started taking lessons at the beginning of 2019 with the goals of trying to break 100 and being able to get an official handicap started.

What do you love about golf?
- There is a lot to love about golf for me... It’s great to play an individual team sport for once in my life. The fact I can keep playing golf well into my old age is huge. Being able to play golf almost anywhere I travel in the world. The beautiful courses and landscapes that surround them. Being outside and playing with friends. Being able to play competitively against other players even if you are not on the same playing level as them. Hitting pure shots... I’m sure I could keep going on but these are just a few of mine!  

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?
- A co-worker of mine brought up MyGolfSpy as I started getting more into the sport and he tossed over one of their buyer’s guides for a pushcart. After reading a few of MyGolfSpy’s most wanted articles and their mission statement, I instantly became hooked and look forward to all of their articles they publish! 

Where are you from? What is your home course?
- I grew up in Salem, OR and have been living in Portland, OR for the past 5+ years. I don’t have what I would consider a home course yet but I do play frequently at either Eastmoreland or Glendoveer.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?
- Best things about golf in my region: The variety of golf courses you can play across Oregon.
- Worst things about golf in my region: The rainy season

What do you do for a living?
- Software Sales at a startup 

How’d you pick your user name?
- My girlfriend gave me the idea and it’s a play on my Xbox Live Gamertag. My Xbox Live Gamertag is TheSandwichChef (LOVE food and make a pretty mean sandwich), which I have had since about 2006, so she brought up the idea of replacing sandwich with sand wedge.

IMG-6328.JPG

1 hour ago, TheSandwedgeChef said:

- I officially started playing golf at the end of June 2018. My normal score, last season, was around 110 with 106 being my lowest carded score but I just started taking lessons at the beginning of 2019 with the goals of trying to break 100 and being able to get an official handicap started.

- There is a lot to love about golf for me... It’s great to play an individual team sport for once in my life. The fact I can keep playing golf well into my old age is huge. Being able to play golf almost anywhere I travel in the world. The beautiful courses and landscapes that surround them. Being outside and playing with friends. Being able to play competitively against other players even if you are not on the same playing level as them. Hitting pure shots... I’m sure I could keep going on but these are just a few of mine!  

- A co-worker of mine brought up MyGolfSpy as I started getting more into the sport and he tossed over one of their buyer’s guides for a pushcart. After reading a few of MyGolfSpy’s most wanted articles and their mission statement, I instantly became hooked and look forward to all of their articles they publish! 

- I grew up in Salem, OR and have been living in Portland, OR for the past 5+ years. I don’t have what I would consider a home course yet but I do play frequently at either Eastmoreland or Glendoveer.

- Best things about golf in my region: The variety of golf courses you can play across Oregon.

- My girlfriend gave me the idea and it’s a play on my Xbox Live Gamertag. My Xbox Live Gamertag is TheSandwichChef (LOVE food and make a pretty mean sandwich), which I have had since about 2006, so she brought up the idea of replacing sandwich with sand wedge.

IMG-6328.JPG

Greetings from Idaho! Nice intro! Love the screen name!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

5 hours ago, TheSandwedgeChef said:

IMG-6328.JPG

Welcome from 200 miles upriver.  I grew up in Corvallis and still travel there every month or so.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@TheSandwedgeChef Welcome from just down the 5 from you.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

IMG-6328.thumb.JPG.a093a3ee9b2b110bfb0ba8a41369c8b6.JPG

Greetings from northwest Ohio. I'm sure you'll improve quickly with those lessons.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 4/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, TheSandwedgeChef said:

IMG-6328.JPG

Welcome from Just north of Seattle.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 2 weeks later...

Hey PNWers, I just found MGS and joined up pretty much right away.  I love the idea of being part of a data-driven community  and trying to move past the marketing that is so prevalent around the game.

I've been playing for about 35 out of my 40 years on the planet in some shape or form.  My dad was a high school teacher and golf coach, so I've been around the game my whole life.  I've been getting more serious about it myself over the last few years and finally got my handicap into the single digits, currently at a 9.0.  My dad still beats me most days (we'll see how tomorrow goes up at Sudden Valley), but playing with him and my brother has to be right at the top of why I love the game- that camaraderie and also the microcosm that golf seems to be of life.  There's always more to learn, including figuring out how to master myself amidst stressful moments, overcoming adversity, and succeeding by doing things the right way.

I don't know any other spies yet, but would be happy to meet some of you.  I live in Mukilteo now (and teach high school English locally) and I suppose my home course would be Walter Hall, though I do a lot of practicing at Harbour Pointe.  I love PNW golf in general because we can play year round.  The courses empty out and the fairways are clear... if wet... and not that I'm hitting them enough anyway, but they look clear from the tee box.  I suppose that's kind of the downside too though- how short our season is for really great course conditions, at least compared to what I imagine AZ or Southern CA must be like.

Looking forward to talking with you.

Justin T. (cleverly chosen because my first name is Justin and my last name starts with T.)

Hey PNWers, I just found MGS and joined up pretty much right away.  I love the idea of being part of a data-driven community  and trying to move past the marketing that is so prevalent around the game.
I've been playing for about 35 out of my 40 years on the planet in some shape or form.  My dad was a high school teacher and golf coach, so I've been around the game my whole life.  I've been getting more serious about it myself over the last few years and finally got my handicap into the single digits, currently at a 9.0.  My dad still beats me most days (we'll see how tomorrow goes up at Sudden Valley), but playing with him and my brother has to be right at the top of why I love the game- that camaraderie and also the microcosm that golf seems to be of life.  There's always more to learn, including figuring out how to master myself amidst stressful moments, overcoming adversity, and succeeding by doing things the right way.
I don't know any other spies yet, but would be happy to meet some of you.  I live in Mukilteo now (and teach high school English locally) and I suppose my home course would be Walter Hall, though I do a lot of practicing at Harbour Pointe.  I love PNW golf in general because we can play year round.  The courses empty out and the fairways are clear... if wet... and not that I'm hitting them enough anyway, but they look clear from the tee box.  I suppose that's kind of the downside too though- how short our season is for really great course conditions, at least compared to what I imagine AZ or Southern CA must be like.
Justin T. (cleverly chosen because my first name is Justin and my last name starts with T.)

Welcome! I’m just around the corner in Mill Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

5 hours ago, Justin T. said:

And welcome from Monroe.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

18 hours ago, Justin T. said:

Welcome from the dry side of the state.  Glad you joined us!!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  Golf season is upon us- hope you're all getting a chance to get out and enjoy it!  I'm hoping to get my 5 year old daughter out on the course for the first time later this week.  Between that and continuing to try out my new-to-me Ping Sigma Tyne H putter I bought based on MGS reviews, it's looking like a good week for golf 😁

On 2/11/2019 at 2:35 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Hi all, Greg from Portland, or

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I’ve been playing on and off my whole life, dad gave me lessons when I was a teenager so obviously I didn’t listen.  Now I’m in my 30’s and looking to get back and improve. Currently I shoot in the mid 90s to low 100s

2. What do you love about golf? Getting outside, meeting people, playing a game

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Just enjoy reading about new gear and advancements in the game. I love data

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? Portland, OR. Home course is either east Moreland (hard time breaking 100), glendoveer ( easily break 100) or heron lakes (just a fun place although the geese are meaner)

5. What do you do for a living? sales analyst

6. How’d you pick your user name? Mashup of nicknames

Hey everyone, my name is Jesse. I have been playing golf on and off since I was about 5 years old. The lowest handicap I held was 12 and now I am an 18. I love the competitive fire I get from playing golf and being able to spend time with friends. I joined GolfSpy because of their awesome testing and recommendations. I currently live in Northwest Washington and do not really call a course "home" as I like to play different courses. The best thing about golf in my region is the weather and the worst thing is the weather. I currently work for an aerospace company as an engineer. My username was picked from my very first email handle.

a. Titleist 718 CB Irons 3-PW AMT TOUR WHITE x100 (x-stiff, standard loft and lie)

b. Taylormade M3 440 HZRDUS YELLOW (9.5*/x-stiff)

c. Right Handed

d. Marysville, WA

e. 18 handicap

• 1 month later...

Hello there. This is my first post on the site. I promise that subsequent posts will NOT be this long.

How long have you been playing golf?

I've been playing golf since I was a young kid. Both my dad and my step dad were avoid golfers and both belonged to several country clubs or owned small summer homes on golf courses. When I was in junior high school and high school, I played A LOT of par 3 courses that were within easy biking or driving distance, so my short game and my putting is pretty good. However, until recently I never learned how to hit a driver (or longer fairway woods) with much confidence. To this day, I play with nothing but hybrids, woods and hybridized irons, which I frequently use off the tee. Several months ago, I purchased an entirely new set of clubs for the first time in nearly 20 years. I am now the proud owner of a full set of Cleveland Launcher HB (High Bore) irons (5-9, PW, SW). I also own the Cleveland Launcher HB 4 iron and their Dual (or Gap) wedge, but I recently removed these clubs from my bag to make room for a driver and a 9 wood.

Every chance I get, I visit the local Value Village about 10 minutes from my home looking for throw-away bargains. Over just the last month, I've found some gems and diamonds in the rough. I picked up an unused Sun Mountain V1 Speed Cart ($200 new) for $12.99; I bought two unused Cleveland Launcher 2009 fairway woods (a 5 wood and a killer 7 wood) with Fujikura regular shafts for $4.99 each (I loved these clubs so much and hit them so well that this week I bought a matching 3 wood and driver from eBay to round out the set); and two days ago, I found an old See More FGP putter with a pristine milled face and matching leather head cover for $9.99 as well as a vintage Cobra Baffler 7 wood for $1.99 which I'm in the process of refinishing (photos to come later when the project is done).

What’s your handicap or normal score?

I honestly don't know what my official handicap is as I practice WAY more than I play. One of my goals for 2019 is to figure out what my true handicap is. Because of a long-term (scar-tissue related) inury I have from open-heart surgery when I was a young kid, I'm unable to play more than 9 holes at a time without discomfort, so I'll need to play 10 rounds of 9 holes to establish my first "official" handicap. I've done a few fake projections that put my handicap somewhere near an 18, but I expect than number to go down.

• I love the fact that golf is so multi-faceted, and that to achieve a goal, I often need to the do the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish
  • I can play the game alone, with friends, or with my wife and boys
  • I can practice by myself in remote parks or at driving ranges and putting greens
  • I can measure my progress with numbers and data
  • I love researching new golf technologies and reading reviews
  • Theoretically, I can play on the same courses as Tour Pros and use some of the same equipment as Tour Pros
  • There are lots of great online forums with a real sense of community
  • While not exactly a year-round sport, golf still provides plenty of opportunities to visit driving ranges or hit balls in public parks in the off season. And if all else fails, I can break out the putter at home and practice sinking 8-footers on a putting carpet in my family room
  • Playing a round of golf is a great form of outdoor exercise, especially if I don't use a golf cart
  • Many of the courses where I live are off-the-charts beautiful

I actually enjoy practicing for free at nearby parks and open spaces more than spending $50 (or more) on a round of golf. There's also a certain Zen-like moment that comes from hitting a pure, nearly flawlessly-executed shot with a 7-wood, hearing the swoosh of the swing, and knowing without even looking up that the ball is rocketing skyward and at precisely the location where I aimed it. I'm also continuously intrigued by the Yin and Yang of golf - for example, to hit the ball far, I must hit it slowly and with a smooth tempo. Or, to grip the solidly, I must hold it softly in my hands. There is also room in golf for amateurs, like me, who enjoy swimming against the current and who like to throw aside conventional wisdom and try out new techniques, and then adopt and refine these oddball techniques if they pay dividends.

Some examples:

• In terms of my swing style, I am and have always been a true sweeper. This means that I NEVER take a divot, ever. If I do accidentally take a divot, it means I made a mistake in my swing, and the resulting shot is invariably a poor one.
  • Other than my putter, I have nothing but hybridized irons, rescue clubs (including a NOS Ginty and a Cobra Baffler), and woods in my bag. Even my wedges are hollow hybrids.
  • I use a split hand putting technique in which my hands are widely separated and NEVER touch each other, and I bend over very far when putting, trying to get my head as close to the ball as possible.
  • I generally place the ball in the center of my stance and only adjust my position based on the length of the shaft or to shape the shot.
  • Recently, after injuring the ligaments in my right pinky using the interlocking grip for decades, I switched to the 10-finger baseball grip and have never looked back. I can't imagine using any other grip now.
  • After noticing that I was consistently hitting longer-shafted woods and drivers off the heel or hosel, I started positioning the club up to a full head length BELOW the ball at address. Problem solved!

I have a number of different hobbies, but interestingly all of them are relevant to golf in some strange way.

In addition to golf (which is my current and daily obsession), I also enjoy flying radio controlled 1-meter bungee-launched gliders as well as flying kites in high winds (this gives me a good sense of what happens to a golf ball in windy and blustery conditions as well as some insight into the overall flight characteristics of golf balls); I enjoy target shooting and trap shooting (these sports have taught me concentration, focus, aiming and alignment techniques, and how to control my breathing and heart rate); I also enjoy playing both acoustic and electric guitars on old tube amplifiers (this has taught me how to tap into my own inner creativity and to do things 'my own way'). Finally, I like to make memes in my spare time.

I have been lurking on the site as an unregistered user for some time, and I finally decided to register so I could join in the fun, get some feedback from other users, and share an occasional golf-related anecdote or two.

I like to hit balls and do practice putting at Willows Run golf course in Redmond and at the Twin Rivers golf course in Fall City, Washington.

Where I live, it rains a lot (and I mean A LOT). This translates to lush, green fairways most of the year and only a few months of downtime when things really get cold or it snows. I live within 30 minutes driving time of at least a dozen different public golf courses, so I consider myself very fortunate in this regard.

I am a front-end software engineer with more than quarter century of experience in the field.

I'm BoomerGolfAnon. I am a Boomer (born right at the transition line between Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers); I am also passionate about practicing or researching golf in some way on a daily basis; and I like to keep my actual identity anonymous. I always remember that line from ElastiGirl in 'The Incredibles': "Your identity is your most important possession. Protect it!" Hence: BoomerGolfAnon

Edited by BoomerGolfAnon

Welcome!

On 3/11/2019 at 9:42 PM, jadams505 said:

Submarines once, submarines twice......

Thank you for your service. Did you ever play with a Cobra Baffler or a Ginty 7 wood - aka the original "Rescue Clubs"?

I've got 2 in my bag. Tell me about some of your "Old School" clubs before TaylorMade forced everyone to upgrade their clubs more often.

On 3/17/2019 at 9:20 PM, JoshuaAlden said:
  1. I have been playing golf for 15 years, and my handicap is a 6.

2. I love golf because it the perfect combination of tranquility, stress and integrity. It’s you and the course, which are often beautiful, battling each and every stroke. 

3.  Product reviews and new and up and coming release. I am new and do not know any spies.

4. Originally Ohio, homemcourse beaver creek. Currently Washington, and home course is Chambers Bay. 

5. Best, the beauty, worst the price. 

6. I am in the Army!

7. My username is a go to! 

Thank you for your service. I hear "Chambers Bay" ads on the radio all the time. I need to find a discount coupon, then go there. Tell me about some of your older "Old School" clubs. I'll bet you have a few in reserve.

• 3 weeks later...

1)I’ve been playing for about 4-5 years I’m not good at all but love to play.

2) to me golf is away to relax and get rid of stress.

3) looking good community of golfer and recommendations on gear.

4) Grew up in Seattle and still in the area. I don’t have a home course.

5) Best part is when the weather is nice you can’t beat a day on the course. Worst part is when it rains.

6) I do couple of different things.

7) It’s a username Just like to use.

Welcome to the group, Sir-G

On 7/9/2019 at 2:03 AM, BoomerGolfAnon said:

Hello there. This is my first post on the site. I promise that subsequent posts will NOT be this long.

How long have you been playing golf?

I've been playing golf since I was a young kid. Both my dad and my step dad were avoid golfers and both belonged to several country clubs or owned small summer homes on golf courses. When I was in junior high school and high school, I played A LOT of par 3 courses that were within easy biking or driving distance, so my short game and my putting is pretty good. However, until recently I never learned how to hit a driver (or longer fairway woods) with much confidence. To this day, I play with nothing but hybrids, woods and hybridized irons, which I frequently use off the tee. Several months ago, I purchased an entirely new set of clubs for the first time in nearly 20 years. I am now the proud owner of a full set of Cleveland Launcher HB (High Bore) irons (5-9, PW, SW). I also own the Cleveland Launcher HB 4 iron and their Dual (or Gap) wedge, but I recently removed these clubs from my bag to make room for a driver and a 9 wood.

Every chance I get, I visit the local Value Village about 10 minutes from my home looking for throw-away bargains. Over just the last month, I've found some gems and diamonds in the rough. I picked up an unused Sun Mountain V1 Speed Cart ($200 new) for $12.99; I bought two unused Cleveland Launcher 2009 fairway woods (a 5 wood and a killer 7 wood) with Fujikura regular shafts for $4.99 each (I loved these clubs so much and hit them so well that this week I bought a matching 3 wood and driver from eBay to round out the set); and two days ago, I found an old See More FGP putter with a pristine milled face and matching leather head cover for $9.99 as well as a vintage Cobra Baffler 7 wood for $1.99 which I'm in the process of refinishing (photos to come later when the project is done).

What’s your handicap or normal score?

I honestly don't know what my official handicap is as I practice WAY more than I play. One of my goals for 2019 is to figure out what my true handicap is. Because of a long-term (scar-tissue related) inury I have from open-heart surgery when I was a young kid, I'm unable to play more than 9 holes at a time without discomfort, so I'll need to play 10 rounds of 9 holes to establish my first "official" handicap. I've done a few fake projections that put my handicap somewhere near an 18, but I expect than number to go down.

• I love the fact that golf is so multi-faceted, and that to achieve a goal, I often need to the do the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish
  • I can play the game alone, with friends, or with my wife and boys
  • I can practice by myself in remote parks or at driving ranges and putting greens
  • I can measure my progress with numbers and data
  • I love researching new golf technologies and reading reviews
  • Theoretically, I can play on the same courses as Tour Pros and use some of the same equipment as Tour Pros
  • There are lots of great online forums with a real sense of community
  • While not exactly a year-round sport, golf still provides plenty of opportunities to visit driving ranges or hit balls in public parks in the off season. And if all else fails, I can break out the putter at home and practice sinking 8-footers on a putting carpet in my family room
  • Playing a round of golf is a great form of outdoor exercise, especially if I don't use a golf cart
  • Many of the courses where I live are off-the-charts beautiful

I actually enjoy practicing for free at nearby parks and open spaces more than spending $50 (or more) on a round of golf. There's also a certain Zen-like moment that comes from hitting a pure, nearly flawlessly-executed shot with a 7-wood, hearing the swoosh of the swing, and knowing without even looking up that the ball is rocketing skyward and at precisely the location where I aimed it. I'm also continuously intrigued by the Yin and Yang of golf - for example, to hit the ball far, I must hit it slowly and with a smooth tempo. Or, to grip the solidly, I must hold it softly in my hands. There is also room in golf for amateurs, like me, who enjoy swimming against the current and who like to throw aside conventional wisdom and try out new techniques, and then adopt and refine these oddball techniques if they pay dividends.

Some examples:

• In terms of my swing style, I am and have always been a true sweeper. This means that I NEVER take a divot, ever. If I do accidentally take a divot, it means I made a mistake in my swing, and the resulting shot is invariably a poor one.
  • Other than my putter, I have nothing but hybridized irons, rescue clubs (including a NOS Ginty and a Cobra Baffler), and woods in my bag. Even my wedges are hollow hybrids.
  • I use a split hand putting technique in which my hands are widely separated and NEVER touch each other, and I bend over very far when putting, trying to get my head as close to the ball as possible.
  • I generally place the ball in the center of my stance and only adjust my position based on the length of the shaft or to shape the shot.
  • Recently, after injuring the ligaments in my right pinky using the interlocking grip for decades, I switched to the 10-finger baseball grip and have never looked back. I can't imagine using any other grip now.
  • After noticing that I was consistently hitting longer-shafted woods and drivers off the heel or hosel, I started positioning the club up to a full head length BELOW the ball at address. Problem solved!

I have a number of different hobbies, but interestingly all of them are relevant to golf in some strange way.

In addition to golf (which is my current and daily obsession), I also enjoy flying radio controlled 1-meter bungee-launched gliders as well as flying kites in high winds (this gives me a good sense of what happens to a golf ball in windy and blustery conditions as well as some insight into the overall flight characteristics of golf balls); I enjoy target shooting and trap shooting (these sports have taught me concentration, focus, aiming and alignment techniques, and how to control my breathing and heart rate); I also enjoy playing both acoustic and electric guitars on old tube amplifiers (this has taught me how to tap into my own inner creativity and to do things 'my own way'). Finally, I like to make memes in my spare time.

I have been lurking on the site as an unregistered user for some time, and I finally decided to register so I could join in the fun, get some feedback from other users, and share an occasional golf-related anecdote or two.

I like to hit balls and do practice putting at Willows Run golf course in Redmond and at the Twin Rivers golf course in Fall City, Washington.

Where I live, it rains a lot (and I mean A LOT). This translates to lush, green fairways most of the year and only a few months of downtime when things really get cold or it snows. I live within 30 minutes driving time of at least a dozen different public golf courses, so I consider myself very fortunate in this regard.

I am a front-end software engineer with more than quarter century of experience in the field.

I'm BoomerGolfAnon. I am a Boomer (born right at the transition line between Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers); I am also passionate about practicing or researching golf in some way on a daily basis; and I like to keep my actual identity anonymous. I always remember that line from ElastiGirl in 'The Incredibles': "Your identity is your most important possession. Protect it!" Hence: BoomerGolfAnon

Welcome!!  So many things going on in this post that I like.  You are certainly a golfer with a passion.  Play well.